Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

FMguru posted:

Gregor Clegane is a monster, and the fact that Tywin Lannister uses him as an instrument of terror is presented as proof that Lannisters are utterly amoral and will stop at nothing when it comes to gaining power. So what does it say about honorable Ned Stark that he had Roose Bolton as one of his most esteemed bannermen?

Ned knew Roose was a Bad Dude, but what was he going to do? It's not like he was actively using Roose to do anything, like Tywin was with Gregor.

Everyone is evil and hosed up and just because they're the focus of the story (at least until they all DIED) the Starks most likely have skeletons in their closets and have schemed with the best of them for years. They would not be wardens of the North if they didn't use political muscle in the past to mess with people. I hope R+J=L is false just to prove that Ned isn't the high and mighty type that he comes across.

Mr.Brinks fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh I have no problem with Roose(well, he's a terrible person, but I mean as a character). I'm perfectly in favor of him as an extended villain over the course of several books. Ramsay on the other hand, just makes me roll my eyes.

In general though, I loved the Theon chapters. Theon has always been one of my favorite characters, and watching him screw himself over in CoK as he desperately tried to prove himself to his father was more painful for me than the Red Wedding. He's so broken now that I can only really hope for him to redeem himself before a merciful death. Then again, I'm more-than-typically horrified by the loss of body parts, particularly the teeth and (perhaps) genitals.

My PRIMARY complaint with the book was the lack of resolution on 2/3 of the main threads. And before anyone accuses me of just wanting bullet points of plot, I understand that there's two books left to resolve the over-arching story. What I find remarkable is that Martin didn't feel the need to resolve the conflicts which act as the crux of this particular volume. You can get away with cliff-hangers when people are going to get to tune in next week, or next season (and I frankly dislike the latter). It's a little irresponsible to write checks you can't cash for at least two years. Specifically, I'm talking about the siege of Meereen and the march on Winterfell. I'm counting Jon's storyline as the resolved one, as his chapters build up quite nicely to his attempted assassination. With the other two, however, the book is effectively saying "This is what you should care about, this is the point of this installment in the series" and then sweeping its own legs by not addressing that point.

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 4, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
One of my favorite scenes was at the wedding feast in ADWD, when the Manderelys and Freys are about to kill each other. For just a minute, Roose loses control of the situation and he shouts for the first time in the series.

LastAshenHero
Apr 27, 2006
My Badge of Honour...

VaultAggie posted:

One of my favorite scenes was at the wedding feast in ADWD, when the Manderelys and Freys are about to kill each other. For just a minute, Roose loses control of the situation and he shouts for the first time in the series.

This. This scene was awesome, and frankly, disturbing.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

FMguru posted:

So what does it say about honorable Ned Stark that he had Roose Bolton as one of his most esteemed bannermen?

To be fair to Ned and all the other Starks, it sounds like they are extremely powerful bannermen and they have had a history of causing trouble to man of the other Northern houses. I think I remember reading one chapter that claimed the Boltons at one point had killed some other head of the Stark family and wore his skin as a cloak.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Chainsawdomy posted:

What I find remarkable is that Martin didn't feel the need to resolve the conflicts which act as the crux of this particular volume.

He (pretty much) had those conclusions done and was told to put them off until Winds by his unbelievably stupid editor:

quote:

SS: One last question. I understand that George wrote more material than could physically fit in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS. Some of it will likely make its way to the next novel, THE WINDS OF WINTER. As his editor, how much say did you have in what stayed and what had to be pushed into the next book?

AG: Well... Probably more say that he would have liked…though many of the choices were his as well. Finishing this book where he absolutely wanted to end it would have taken probably another year and more pages than could be realistically bound between two covers. And so much great stuff had happened already that no one, I felt, could be unsatisfied by the developments. So he voluntarily pulled one big sequence out of the book. I lobbied for another...and it came out, too. People may hold me to blame for this, but I still think it was the right choice. The book is so big and complex and rich and wonderful that adding these two sequences would not have made it any better than it already its (sic).

(emphasis mine)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Somebody turned out to be totally wrong.

The two big sequences the entire book leads up to? Nobody will missing reading those! There's already enough RAD poo poo going down for ten books! Like that part where Tyrion vomits from alcohol poisoning for the third time, what a joker he is!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Just finished it and really, I was pretty underwhelmed, just not much seems to happen.

Back a few pages but in one of the earlier books it's strongly hinted that there is alink between magic and dragons. Right around the time Danny hatches her dragons theres a small bit where it says that the wildfire potions were brewing easier and more potent than ever before and I think someone even says that magic in the world dwindled out right around the time people started killing dragons.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pksage posted:

He (pretty much) had those conclusions done and was told to put them off until Winds by his unbelievably stupid editor:

(emphasis mine)

You know the sections that were removed were really just two extensive discussions of the history of the lamprey pie in westeros and the political machinations back in yunkai, right (man has the political landscape changed there since the army left! You would not believe who's in charge now! it is another incompetent slaver, but this one likes... Wait for it... Slaves who are tremendously fat to fight for them! They have developed a suit of chain with spikes and the fat slaves just get rolled along the battlefield until they hit the enemy!)?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

builds character posted:

the fat slaves just get rolled along the battlefield until they hit the enemy!)?
Strong Belwas doesn't think this is very funny.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

builds character posted:

You know the sections that were removed were really just two extensive discussions of the history of the lamprey pie in westeros and the political machinations back in yunkai, right?

Lies, grrm would never allow lamprey pies or dithering in slaver's bay to be cut.

I can't help but think that his editor is hoping to drag the story out forever in some zeno's paradox of plot so he will be able to live off the series forever. Each book takes us half of the remaining way to resolving the plot.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

LtSmash posted:

Lies, grrm would never allow lamprey pies or dithering in slaver's bay to be cut.

I can't help but think that his editor is hoping to drag the story out forever in some zeno's paradox of plot so he will be able to live off the series forever. Each book takes us half of the remaining way to resolving the plot.

Book 45

Chapter 1

With a cry of rage, Azor Azhai stabbed Bran in the

Meanwhile, Back in Meereen

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Maarak posted:

HBO

Funny enough I wonder how much money HBO would make if GRRM died while airing season 2/3.

"You want to know how it all ends? Stay tuned!"

Markeh
Jun 5, 2007
Savagely Irritable
I dont know what to think about Jons final chapter and Stannis's army being crushed. In Jons case if hes really properly dead Ill be shocked and a little impressed by GRRMs balls. I thought Jons slippage of control was well done, but at the same time Im wary since from book 2 onwards GRRM has been much more willing to resurrect characters or give them cliffhanger deaths.

Whats the consensus on Ramsays horribly disturbing letter? Jon dying or Stannis utterly defeated, I can buy one but not both. Surely not both, that would mean a dead end after thousands of pages.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

It's not even from Ramsay (maybe)

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Markeh posted:

Whats the consensus on Ramsays horribly disturbing letter? Jon dying or Stannis utterly defeated, I can buy one but not both. Surely not both, that would mean a dead end after thousands of pages.
I think Jon is dead, Stannis is dead, Roose is dead, Mance freezes to death off screen, Asha gets taken and raped by the bravosi banker who takes her as his salt wife and calls a new kingsmoot, Theon takes the black to escape Ramsey and becomes the new lord commander, fake Arya gets burned by Mel, Davos finds Rickon but Rickon has joined the cannibals and they eat Davos' remaining fingers but give him the bones restoring his luck, Ramsey attacks castle black to capture reek but Bran wargs into Wun Wun and castrates Ramsey but accidentally says 'Hodor!' while doing it, Wex happens to be there to explain everything to Manderly who then throws a feast for the wildlings and serves them pies made of the night watch men who killed Jon. Nothing gets resolved in Meereen.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

^^ If GRRM chokes to death on a lamprey pie before continuing the series, I'm just going to assume that ^^

pksage posted:

(emphasis mine)

Which explains why it felt like Empire Strikes Back if it ended just before Luke gets to Cloud City.

(only with 3-4 Lukes and 2-3 Cloud Cities)

EDIT: And if Empire Strikes back had been two, four hour, movies.

EDIT EDIT: and at this point I'm quite confident that HBO can fit everything of importance in aFfC and aDwD into one, ten episode, season quite comfortably.

hellbastard fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 5, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Dany's dragons burn Meereen to the ground; turns out it's just an allegory for how useless it is to use diplomacy to bring peace to foreign cities and that nuclear weapons are the answer.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

LtSmash posted:

*Rocks fall and kill the entire party*

I guess all that leaves is Dany getting eaten by one of her dragons having lost total control of them, Tyrion getting crushed somehow, and then Sansa kills Baelish but then is forced to marry into house Royce who sell her to the hill tribes.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Re reading it, I'm surprised and disappointed at the lack of Loras. I can only assume he's a POV next book.

E - Lack of Loras is a great name for an alt rock band

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Supreme Allah posted:

Re reading it, I'm surprised and disappointed at the lack of Loras. I can only assume he's a POV next book.

I bet he's not even dying.

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine
Zombie Gregor is going to murder all the Tyrells

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really enjoyed Dance a lot more than Feast, but I have to say I felt it was lacking a decent end to the book. The final Jon chapter in particular felt quite cheap to me, some form of large set piece would have helped with that. Instead it felt like the reader was cheated out of the book's climax, which I guess we can blame his editor for.
Overall though, I thought it was a very enjoyable book with moments of brilliance.

Of all the unjustified and downright idiotic complaining in regards to this latest book, the one thing that really stood head and shoulders above the rest for me was the complaint about GRRM using "whilst" and "amongst".
If you have a problem with those two words you really really need to improve your vocabulary. Because you are dumb.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

A random casting thought that will never happen... But I'd really like to see Nivek Ogre playing Roose Bolton in the series. It's just how I imagined him but especially his whispery voice.

batomys
Sep 16, 2008

This thread needs more GoT haiku:

Shagga, son of Dolf /
Threatens to cut off manhood /
Feed it to the goats

Wayman Manderly /
Having some friends for dinner /
Three pies from The Twins

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Of all the unjustified and downright idiotic complaining in regards to this latest book, the one thing that really stood head and shoulders above the rest for me was the complaint about GRRM using "whilst" and "amongst".
If you have a problem with those two words you really really need to improve your vocabulary. Because you are dumb.

They're both uncommon in North America, and usually are only used as affections by people trying to come off as sophisticated, English gentry-types. I know that they're both still used in the UK, however.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the loving gently caress, how did I miss so many details?

Not only did I not realise that Abel and his six women were Mance and the spearwives, but I also was completely innocent as to Manderly cooking pies out of dead Freys. Jesus christ, I wonder what else I didn't pick up on as I raced through the book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CornHolio posted:

I bet he's not even dying.

I'll say right now that a little bell rang when it was reported that Loras had been severely burned. The report is a lie, Loras is fine and his family is planning on pulling him out of hiding at an opportune moment.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mllaneza posted:

I'll say right now that a little bell rang when it was reported that Loras had been severely burned. The report is a lie, Loras is fine and his family is planning on pulling him out of hiding at an opportune moment.

I still don't know what to think of the sister being shushed when she brought up Loras right before Cersei's nudewalk.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Not only did I not realise that Abel and his six women were Mance and the spearwives, but I also was completely innocent as to Manderly cooking pies out of dead Freys. Jesus christ, I wonder what else I didn't pick up on as I raced through the book.
In a Clash of King, when Bran and co were hiding in the tombs, they took three swords: Lord Rickard's sword, Brandon Stark's sword and the newest one which was intended for Eddard's statue. When Theon and Lady Dustin enter the crypt, the sword which is missing from one of the "kings" is from an older Stark whose name Theon does not recall and it's not one of the swords that Bran Meera and Osha took. And the crypt was completely sealed by the snow until their visit so it's unlikely anyone from the wedding took it. Then there is the whole Little Walder Frey's murder...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Toplowtech posted:

In a Clash of King, when Bran and co were hiding in the tombs, they took three swords: Lord Rickard's sword, Brandon Stark's sword and the newest one which was intended for Eddard's statue. When Theon and Lady Dustin enter the crypt, the sword which is missing from one of the "kings" is from an older Stark whose name Theon does not recall and it's not one of the swords that Bran Meera and Osha took. And the crypt was completely sealed by the snow until their visit so it's unlikely anyone from the wedding took it. Then there is the whole Little Walder Frey's murder...

Well that has me stumped, who do you reckon did it? Manderly?

Another thing I missed was the possible fulfilment of the Azor Ahai prophecy with Jon (the star bleeding being Ser Patrek's insignia as he's killed by the giant)

edit: And Mirri Maz Dhur's prophecy about "the sun setting in the east" = Quentyn dying?, and "the sea drying up" = the Dothraki sea's grass dying

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

edit: And Mirri Maz Dhur's prophecy about "the sun setting in the east" = Quentyn dying?, and "the sea drying up" = the Dothraki sea's grass dying

"...and mountains blow in the wind like leaves." Aren't the volcanoes of Valyria erupting?

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Toplowtech posted:

I didn't catch this. Who was left over at Winterfell after Theon's reign ???

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Wex.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Hedrigall posted:

To be fair the Frey thing was pretty subtle. I didn't realize Abel=Mance until Jon got the letter from Ramsey. I think I would've realized sooner but I must have zoned out during the part where Abel first shows up because I just assumed he had been with the Boltons or the Manderlies or somebody the entire time. Also, I can't remember if this idea came from Theon or my own head, but the idea that Abel was a singer and so had all these ideas of gallantry and saving maidens was enough for me to justify why he was trying to rescue Jaynra Stool.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Hey I proffered that particular quibble gently caress you I am quite articulate and well-read despite my pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

It's not that I don't understand the history and usage, it's that they're archaic and make a person sound like they're trying too hard.

Also I got this avatar weeks before we were all enjoying the new graphic anime novel.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I never really took that as a prophecy... more a sort of a cool and flippant way to say "NEVER BIATCH!!!"

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chainsawdomy posted:

Oh I have no problem with Roose(well, he's a terrible person, but I mean as a character). I'm perfectly in favor of him as an extended villain over the course of several books. Ramsay on the other hand, just makes me roll my eyes.

In general though, I loved the Theon chapters. Theon has always been one of my favorite characters, and watching him screw himself over in CoK as he desperately tried to prove himself to his father was more painful for me than the Red Wedding. He's so broken now that I can only really hope for him to redeem himself before a merciful death. Then again, I'm more-than-typically horrified by the loss of body parts, particularly the teeth and (perhaps) genitals.

My PRIMARY complaint with the book was the lack of resolution on 2/3 of the main threads. And before anyone accuses me of just wanting bullet points of plot, I understand that there's two books left to resolve the over-arching story. What I find remarkable is that Martin didn't feel the need to resolve the conflicts which act as the crux of this particular volume. You can get away with cliff-hangers when people are going to get to tune in next week, or next season (and I frankly dislike the latter). It's a little irresponsible to write checks you can't cash for at least two years. Specifically, I'm talking about the siege of Meereen and the march on Winterfell. I'm counting Jon's storyline as the resolved one, as his chapters build up quite nicely to his attempted assassination. With the other two, however, the book is effectively saying "This is what you should care about, this is the point of this installment in the series" and then sweeping its own legs by not addressing that point.

There's more cliffhangers than there are definite or knowable storylines right now and it's because he doesn't know how to build dramatic tension otherwise. It's been a problem throughout the series and is getting worse.

Also no one could criticize you if you DID have hesitations about there being another two books or whatever because there's no loving way that the series will finish in two books at anything even close to the current rate

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

yeah it's not that they're out of place anachronisms in a book mostly written in common day vernacular it's just that people are so "dumb" that they haven't seen the word "whilst" before. you are the one who is smart. you are smarter than all of us.

Guys why are you complaining about him using forsooth and fortnight? They're real words!! *links relevant wikipedia page, leans way back in chair, eats a lil bit of glue*

"whilst" loving sticks out because it sounds like something a person decrying "the stupids" on an internet messageboard would pride himself on using and not something an actual professional writer who worries about things like "rhythm" and "sound" and "meaning" would use. complaining about it isn't contrived or stupid at all sorry

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Supreme Allah posted:

Flayed Member would be a hell of a Black Metal band name. I'm looking forward to their first single "I'm begging you to cut my cock off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If the tales coming up the kingsroad could be believed, the King's Hand had been murdered by his dwarf son whilst sitting on a privy.

She could carry the sadness of the moment with her that way forever, see the world refracted through those tears, those specific tears, as if indices as yet unfound varied in important ways from cry to cry.

use of language, pretty much a wash. grrm, master of English and of "whilst"