Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Fray posted:

SO I just finished Deadhouse Gates. I still don't really understand what the hell Azath are. It's like a house? And also a plant? And they eat people?

They're big superdimensional trees that contain warp gates inside them and also can act as prisons. They're a gigantic mystery and even after finishing the series you'll still be clueless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Also sometimes there's a pretentious dude living in them.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
There's "plenty" of quite specific information in DG when they are about to leave Tremorlor, and then in MoI when Paran goes into Rake's sword a second time.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
When you think about it, there really are some people with silly amount of power that could've single handily influenced the story if they had decided to act...

Gothos freezes the world, stopping the Crippled God and the Malazan Empire dead in their tracks. Book ends on page one, and page two is a sight of Karsa sitting cross-legged on the frozen wasteland with his chin on his hands.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

When you think about it, there really are some people with silly amount of power that could've single handily influenced the story if they had decided to act...

Gothos freezes the world, stopping the Crippled God and the Malazan Empire dead in their tracks. Book ends on page one, and page two is a sight of Karsa sitting cross-legged on the frozen wasteland with his chin on his hands.

To bad he is locked inside an Azath.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 24, 2011

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Electronico6 posted:

To bad he is locked inside an Azath.

I don't know about that. The end of DG suggests that he inhabits the Azath willingly, and in TtH he holds the builder of the Azath captive, and seems to be able to travel between the different Houses.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Juaguocio posted:

I don't know about that. The end of DG suggests that he inhabits the Azath willingly, and in TtH he holds the builder of the Azath captive, and seems to be able to travel between the different Houses.

Nah. He is stuck. But because he is Gothos he managed to find a way to cheat the system. That's why he can move between houses, and visit the dead azath in TtH. He wanted to discover the power of the Azath and use it for himself, but in the process he got trapped inside of it. It's part of his folly.

Spills the Moon
Aug 20, 2008
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted but I was surfing for some Malazan gossip online and came across the blurb for ICE's new novel. Here, read it for yourselves:

A website posted:

The epic new chapter in the history of Malaz - the new epic fantasy from Steven Erikson's friend and co-creator of this extraordinary imagined world...

The tumult of great powers colliding has passed, leaving the city of Darujhistan and its good citizens to get one of their lives of politcking, bickering, trading and above all enjoying the good things it has to offer. However, this peace is illusory because of a treasure hunter, digging amongst the ancient burial grounds that surround the city, is about to uncover a hidden crypt, full of sealed vaults. Armed with magic-deadening otataral, he will open the last vault - the one no other dared touch - and in so doing will set free the most powerful and destructive of the Jaghut tyrant kings...

And fortune hunters are also at work far to the south of the Malaz. A fragment of Moon's Spawn, once the home of Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness, crashed into the Rivan Sea and created a chain of small islands. Legends have already arisen around them, the most potent of which is that here is hidden the Throne of Night - claimed by some to be the seat of Dracoinus, ruler of Eternal Night, and by others to be the throne of Mother Dark herself. Either way, all who seek this ancient artifact - from magic-weilding mages and battle-scarred warriors to a Malazan army deserter called Grift - believe it will bestow unlimited power upon the eventual possessor. The stakes are high, greed is rife, betrayal inevitable and murder and chaos lie in wait...

Maybe this kind of thing is exciting only to me, but I thought it was a neat find. Until I read it that is. This sounds really bad. I support ICE and all, because I like to get my hands on anything Malazan, but this just sounds awful. I hope this is fraudulent and isn't actually what it's going to be about. Is it me or does this sound like poorly conceived fan-fiction?

Also, Dracoinus.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think the problem is that it doesn't seem to have any real driving force behind it, it's just kind of like "well here's some adventure!" It feels like a Forgotten Realms book, instead of a part of an epic story.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

It's also written by ICE which is a fatal flaw already.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Spills the Moon posted:

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been posted but I was surfing for some Malazan gossip online and came across the blurb for ICE's new novel. Here, read it for yourselves:

Maybe this kind of thing is exciting only to me, but I thought it was a neat find. Until I read it that is. This sounds really bad. I support ICE and all, because I like to get my hands on anything Malazan, but this just sounds awful. I hope this is fraudulent and isn't actually what it's going to be about. Is it me or does this sound like poorly conceived fan-fiction?

Also, Dracoinus.

The problem for me is that this all sounds like poo poo directly lifted from Erikson's books. Jaghut Tyrant! Check. Some sort of Throne that bestows power! Double check. Ragtag Malazan army? Got that!

Seriously, I know they created the world together and all, but it sounds like I'm reading a synopsis from some bizarro "What if?" version of GOTM.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

The problem for me is that this all sounds like poo poo directly lifted from Erikson's books. Jaghut Tyrant! Check. Some sort of Throne that bestows power! Double check. Ragtag Malazan army? Got that!

Seriously, I know they created the world together and all, but it sounds like I'm reading a synopsis from some bizarro "What if?" version of GOTM.

Well the problem with your problem, is that stuff is what Erikson left for ICE to write about. His books probably suffer from having to follow up storylines from Malazan Book of the Fallen directly. Like the Tyrant. That poo poo was in GotM and TtH but Erikson didn't get around to it, so his friend has to finish it up.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Electronico6 posted:

Well the problem with your problem, is that stuff is what Erikson left for ICE to write about. His books probably suffer from having to follow up storylines from Malazan Book of the Fallen directly. Like the Tyrant. That poo poo was in GotM and TtH but Erikson didn't get around to it, so his friend has to finish it up.

Yeah, that ONE aspect (which, honestly didn't need to be readdressed. Raest getting his kitty was a fine ending to his story). Where do the talk about this other throne in Erikson's books?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, that ONE aspect (which, honestly didn't need to be readdressed. Raest getting his kitty was a fine ending to his story). Where do the talk about this other throne in Erikson's books?

Actually the Tyrants they are speaking is another Tyrant not Raest. The old ruler of Darujhistan which was called...the Tyrant. Blame Erikson for deciding to name him exactly like Raest. Thought it seems that he is another Jaghut. Which sounds a repeat of GotM.
As for the other part, it is mentioned in Toll the Hounds, but they just talk about pilgrims coming to see the wreckage, no mention for thrones or new islands.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!
I finally finished the entire series and have read through this thread. I am a lot more clear now about what happened at the end of TCG (though it was just a jumbled mess for a while). I have a lot of problems with the unresolved plot points and I'm really really hoping that Karsa Orlog finally gets to do something awesome. I kept reading through the book going "KILL THE CRIPPLED GOD JUMP FROM THE SKY AND SLICE HIM IN HAAAALLLLLFFFFF" or something. He'd vowed to end him, it just seemed so anticlimactic that he was like "Oh an old guy now I'm going to kill Fener" (??). The worst part for me, though, was Bottle. I kept waiting and waiting for Bottle to bust out and do something amazing but other than possessing a bunch of birds and tearing his soul apart against the KCCM he really didn't do anything against the Assail - right? I didn't miss something?

I also really disliked his treatment of women for the longest time. It seemed like every female character gets raped and that becomes the extent of her character. Though I will say that the way different characters dealt with it was interesting -ex Seren Padac vs Felisin, but the WORST I thought was Janath - let's just wipe her memory and now she's all better the end. I got the indication that this happened for Hetan too when she was rezzed at the end. BUT the development of Tavore's character really made me rethink my opinion of female characters in the books. I also really disliked his treatment of love. It basically went 1) two characters hang out for a while, there's some sexual tension or good-natured ribbing, 2) other stuff, 3) OUR LOVE WILL LAST FOREVER. This was mainly evident with Skyanarrow (sp?) and Ruthan Gudd, Lostara Yil and her big manly guy, and Seren Padac and Trull Sengar. Even with Whiskeyjack and Korlat I just kept thinking - Really? Didn't you guys just meet?

Anyway. I'm interested in re-reading it once I have gotten some distance from it. I haven't read anything by ICE and while I would usually be gung ho for something like that I'm not sure it's something I want to dive into based on the prevailing opinions. Does Iron Bars come back? I will read if Iron Bars is in it.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

hello clarice posted:

I finally finished the entire series and have read through this thread. I am a lot more clear now about what happened at the end of TCG (though it was just a jumbled mess for a while). I have a lot of problems with the unresolved plot points and I'm really really hoping that Karsa Orlog finally gets to do something awesome. I kept reading through the book going "KILL THE CRIPPLED GOD JUMP FROM THE SKY AND SLICE HIM IN HAAAALLLLLFFFFF" or something. He'd vowed to end him, it just seemed so anticlimactic that he was like "Oh an old guy now I'm going to kill Fener" (??). The worst part for me, though, was Bottle. I kept waiting and waiting for Bottle to bust out and do something amazing but other than possessing a bunch of birds and tearing his soul apart against the KCCM he really didn't do anything against the Assail - right? I didn't miss something?

Karsa's story continues in the future Toblakai series, which I think will be written by Erikson after he finishes with Rake's past. The extent of his involvement in the Fallen series seems to be his role as the Knight of Chains, so it is understandable that his whole I'm going to destroy civilization thing is beyond the scope of the series.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 29, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Spills the Moon posted:

Also, Dracoinus.
Yeah that sounds pretty bad, it strikes me as extremely close to GotM, frankly... Right down to the crypt with a Jaghut right outside Darujhistan, being opened by someone with otataral. I suspect that ICE couldn't handle taking the story somewhere that wasn't already heavily fleshed-out. Smacks of laziness.

And WTF why would you pick a name like Dracoinus, just to confuse readers more with similarly-named characters?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Electronico6 posted:

As for the other part, it is mentioned in Toll the Hounds, but they just talk about pilgrims coming to see the wreckage, no mention for thrones or new islands.

Hrm, I didn't get the impression from that blurb that the "new throne" was Itkovian's grave but that'd make it more interesting.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

Hrm, I didn't get the impression from that blurb that the "new throne" was Itkovian's grave but that'd make it more interesting.

The actual pieces that fell from Moon Spawn. There's a brief mention, of people looking around for parts that fell during the attack, and trying to find where it sank to see if it has treasure, but they never mention islands and thrones. It was a just one passage in TtH, to flesh out the setting.

The blurb really sounds pretty poor, especially this throne business. These ICE's novels should be really about Iron Bars and his chums kicking rear end all over the place. Not a dude named Grift trying to find something. :(

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hello clarice posted:

I also really disliked his treatment of women for the longest time. It seemed like every female character gets raped and that becomes the extent of her character. Though I will say that the way different characters dealt with it was interesting -ex Seren Padac vs Felisin, but the WORST I thought was Janath - let's just wipe her memory and now she's all better the end. I got the indication that this happened for Hetan too when she was rezzed at the end. BUT the development of Tavore's character really made me rethink my opinion of female characters in the books.

I don't really get this. I'm not gonna argue with your comments about those particular women, but I always felt that Erikson handled women extremely well. Tavore, Faradan Sort, Lostara Yil (hell, let's just say every female in the Malazan army), Envy, Spite, Apsalar, Yan Tovis...poo poo, I'm probably forgetting a lot more. All extremely capable, and miles ahead of women in other novels who tend to be capable despite being women than just being capable on their own. Hell, most of those would probably be men elsewhere.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Grift... maybe he's a grifter!

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't really get this. I'm not gonna argue with your comments about those particular women, but I always felt that Erikson handled women extremely well. Tavore, Faradan Sort, Lostara Yil (hell, let's just say every female in the Malazan army), Envy, Spite, Apsalar, Yan Tovis...poo poo, I'm probably forgetting a lot more. All extremely capable, and miles ahead of women in other novels who tend to be capable despite being women than just being capable on their own. Hell, most of those would probably be men elsewhere.

I'm not saying that his women aren't capable, and if you read my post you'll see that I sorta revised my opinion with the development of Tavore's character. I'll say that he handles women well (much better than say Robert Jordan, who I love, but who writes all women as the same character over and over and over again) but I still just really couldn't get over the constancy of rape all the damned time. I know this is like the in thing with male fantasy writers or whatever (GRRM), but it still annoys me that a huge amount of female characters in fantasy are either raped or threatened with rape. I did like, however, the way Seren Padac handled her rape. She dwelled on it for a while, had a good cry, and with the help of Mockra realized that it wasn't who she was. I may be the only person who really wasn't a huge fan of Apsalar, I thought that through most of the books she was really busy either being possessed by Cotillion or dwelling over the fact that she was possessed by Cotillion. I really really liked Lostara Yil but when she just immediately fell in love with that hulking manguy (who she seemed to like for no other reason than he was a hulking manguy?) I just rolled my eyes and spent a lot of the last few books being annoyed by her. I liked what she said to Cotillion though, about how possessing her allowed him to experience love. Generally I thought Envy and Spite were pretty underdeveloped/one-dimensional throughout most of the books... other than being general badasses mages with awesome powers

I will agree with you though and say though that a lot of his female characters are a lot more developed than other contemporary fantasy writers.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I'm curious on your position in love, in your opinion what then would be an acceptable way of convincing you that someone fell in love with someone else? Would they have to save them from an evil lord's castle or avenge their parents' death to be a valid enough reason for someone to love someone else? Not trying to make fun of you, just curious what is a good enough reason to you.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm curious on your position in love, in your opinion what then would be an acceptable way of convincing you that someone fell in love with someone else? Would they have to save them from an evil lord's castle or avenge their parents' death to be a valid enough reason for someone to love someone else? Not trying to make fun of you, just curious what is a good enough reason to you.

No, I just usually like it when there is more development other than "Hello you are a large muscled man OUR LOVE IS FOREVER". It's less about actions, like saving someone from something, and more about how two characters interact. What does Lostara Yil like about that guy other than the fact that he's a big guy? I understand what Korlat sees in Whiskeyjack which is cool, but I guess I just like it when there's more build up to it. I dunno, this is a problem I have in most fantasy too. Robert Jordan seems to build incredibly unlikeable female characters who decide that they are in love with a guy and then basically browbeat him into loving them back. Terry Goodkind has Richard fall in love with Kahlan from the start in a "LOL UR PRETTY" kind of way. I like Name of the Wind as a romance, but I think that comes from the fact that it is at heart a love story. I wish I could think of more examples... OH VIN. Mistborn! Vin I think is a really strong, really well-developed female character who likes Elend for real reasons but also at times feels conflicted about her feelings for him too. Love is a lot more complex than "Hey let's bang" or "LETS DIE TOGETHER MY LOVE", and I like when she agonizes over their relationship and at times really seems to dislike parts of him.

I guess I think romances should be built up and explained if they are going to be a motivator. I know I keep going back to Lostara Yil but she's the most glaring example for me.. "Hey I just met this dude aw he's awesome LET ME SHADOW DANCE FOR YOU MY LOVE" (I think I liked Pearl better, even though he was kind of needy and weird) as well as the Ruthan Gudd/Skanarow thing, and to another extent Seren Padac and Trull Sengar - I may have missed it in between picking up and putting down the books, but it seemed like they only really interacted a handful of times until he 'proposed' and then they were A LOVE FOR ALL TIME. I liked the thing with Hellian/Urb, though - that seemed pretty developed to me and the way both of their characters reacted was logical, even if it was a fairly minor point. Even though I feel like a lot of the romantic parts were pretty tacked on, I do sorta think that it's almost necessary because Erikson's not writing a bunch of love stories, he's writing about a war and an army and a lot of other things. Nitpicky of me, I guess, but ultimately it didn't really ruin my enjoyment of the book overall, it just annoyed me throughout.

hello clarice fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 30, 2011

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!

hello clarice posted:

I guess I think romances should be built up and explained if they are going to be a motivator. I know I keep going back to Lostara Yil but she's the most glaring example for me.. "Hey I just met this dude aw he's awesome LET ME SHADOW DANCE FOR YOU MY LOVE" (I think I liked Pearl better, even though he was kind of needy and weird) as well as the Ruthan Gudd/Skanarow thing, and to another extent Seren Padac and Trull Sengar - I may have missed it in between picking up and putting down the books, but it seemed like they only really interacted a handful of times until he 'proposed' and then they were A LOVE FOR ALL TIME. I liked the thing with Hellian/Urb, though - that seemed pretty developed to me and the way both of their characters reacted was logical, even if it was a fairly minor point. Even though I feel like a lot of the romantic parts were pretty tacked on, I do sorta think that it's almost necessary because Erikson's not writing a bunch of love stories, he's writing about a war and an army and a lot of other things. Nitpicky of me, I guess, but ultimately it didn't really ruin my enjoyment of the book overall, it just annoyed me throughout.

I imagine it's difficult to strike a balance between spending time fleshing out characters and their backstories and advancing the main plot. Part of it is a byproduct of the genre where things like falling in love happen under the backdrop of huge dramatic events. For it to be more realistic, you'd have to insert a lot of interaction during relatively mundane events, but there's only so much of that you can have without straying from the primary narrative. Unfortunately, the story of Lostara Yil and her man's 3 first awkward dates really can't make the cut.

I do remember some forshadowing of the Seren and Trull in their first interactions in Midnight Tides. They're both strong willed people who don't feel that they belong to their respective societies. I agree with you about Lostara's romance though. A lot of the blame has to go to her gradually turning into someone who is primarily there for exposition in the last couple books.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fleshpeg posted:

I imagine it's difficult to strike a balance between spending time fleshing out characters and their backstories and advancing the main plot. Part of it is a byproduct of the genre where things like falling in love happen under the backdrop of huge dramatic events. For it to be more realistic, you'd have to insert a lot of interaction during relatively mundane events, but there's only so much of that you can have without straying from the primary narrative. Unfortunately, the story of Lostara Yil and her man's 3 first awkward dates really can't make the cut.

I do remember some forshadowing of the Seren and Trull in their first interactions in Midnight Tides. They're both strong willed people who don't feel that they belong to their respective societies. I agree with you about Lostara's romance though. A lot of the blame has to go to her gradually turning into someone who is primarily there for exposition in the last couple books.
Nobody's mentioned the Stonny/Gruntle romance plot? That one was really well done. Two people who care about each other, but have enough flaws and enough pride to always end up apart. They are like Crokus/Apsalar only believable.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Nobody's mentioned the Stonny/Gruntle romance plot? That one was really well done. Two people who care about each other, but have enough flaws and enough pride to always end up apart. They are like Crokus/Apsalar only believable.

I prefer the Stormy/Gesler broromance myself.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

Infinite Karma posted:

Oh you're definitely right, I thought that bit was really well-done.

Junk Science posted:

I prefer the Stormy/Gesler broromance myself.

And also Fid/Hedge. And also QB/Kalam. And also Mappo/Icarium. And also Tehol/Bugg.

So many great bromances. I wish Tehol/Bugg was like a buddy cop show or something like that. I would watch the hell out of it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
God, it smells like rotting ice in this thread.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Must be all those ochre potsherds that are crunching underfoot?

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!
They're not really ochre. More like the color of dried blood.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011
Not sure if already posted, but Erikson writes about House of Chains and how Karsa Orlong was created:

http://www.stevenerikson.com/index.php/the-problem-of-karsa-orlong/

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah, I was going to read that and then I scrolled down and realize too many words

Anyway, I made it up to Toll The Hounds before but only got to about 120 pages in before I stopped. I think reading all the books one after the other burned me out. But I finished A Dance With Dragons and Ghost Story so now I'm back on this.

Just made it to the start of "Book Two" and OH MY GOD KARSA ORLONG MOTHERFUCKERS

If the books were less Anomander Rake brooding and more Karsa Orlong and his Malazan friends, I would be so happy.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Daric posted:

Yeah, I was going to read that and then I scrolled down and realize too many words

Anyway, I made it up to Toll The Hounds before but only got to about 120 pages in before I stopped. I think reading all the books one after the other burned me out. But I finished A Dance With Dragons and Ghost Story so now I'm back on this.

Just made it to the start of "Book Two" and OH MY GOD KARSA ORLONG MOTHERFUCKERS

If the books were less Anomander Rake brooding and more Karsa Orlong and his Malazan friends, I would be so happy.

There's more brooding. A lot of it.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

There's more brooding. A lot of it.

Despite his name, Caladan Brood does little brooding. Nimander's brood, however...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Shut up Anomandor is awesome :colbert: (seriously the end of that book rules hard)

I know people don't like Toll the Hounds, but for some reason I liked it.

About halfway through Dust of Dreams though...so the Barghest are basically a bunch of horrible stupid idiots as far as I can tell

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Until TTH Rake was such a "meh" character, but in he final parts of that book, he shows so much of who he is and what he has gone through, and his resolve and deeds are amazing. I loved the Darujhistan bits sooooooooo much.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I finally read Eriksons books... RotCG and Stonewielder.

They werent nearly as bad as NoK, but still pretty terrible dialogue.

Now I want more. Of anything in the Malazan universe. I dont care who writes it or what it is about, I just want more...

God damnit.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I just want Fiddler and Hedge throwing cussers at all their problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

hello clarice posted:

I'm not saying that his women aren't capable, and if you read my post you'll see that I sorta revised my opinion with the development of Tavore's character. I'll say that he handles women well (much better than say Robert Jordan, who I love, but who writes all women as the same character over and over and over again) but I still just really couldn't get over the constancy of rape all the damned time. I know this is like the in thing with male fantasy writers or whatever (GRRM), but it still annoys me that a huge amount of female characters in fantasy are either raped or threatened with rape.

Two comments:
1) In the sort of medieval setting the Malazan book inhabits, rape or the threat of rape were/are constant issues for women.
2) The bit about somewhat spontaneous attachments I think has a LOT to do with the situations they're in, which are ridiculously stressful, constantly life-threatening, etc... The issue you bring up with regard to this is evident not only among women, but also among men, and more than anything else struck me as a side-effect of some form of PTSD. When you are spending every waking hour in this group of often unsavory individuals with whom you form a bond, are constantly under threat of death, constantly have friends die / get hosed up, and so on, your entire perception of 'normal relationships' becomes twisted. I guess I'm trying to say that with very few exceptions, I didn't really find anything wrong with how his women (or men) were written when you consider the context most of them dwell in.