Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Quake 4 (ugh)

I'm probably alone in this, but I really liked the first half of Q4. The whole space grunt thing is my bag, and I thought they did a decent job of writing the (admittedly throwaway) soldiers in your squad. I had a "meh" reaction to the second half of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm seriously considering getting the quake+doom pack (I already bought the quake pack) just so I can get that rocket launcher, and I haven't played Team Fortress 2 in forever.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I discovered Stronghold finally, way late to the party. I played past level 3 before deciding it would be a lot more fun co-op, anyone down for some impromptu games tonight?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Steam apparently tweaked something today so that your Doom playtime can actually be tracked. It also forces a direct DOS Box launch now. :downs:

So I'll just be launching GZDoom manually for the rest of my Doom 1 playthrough, but I'll miss the neat little Steam front end for everything. Oh well.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Minidust posted:

Steam apparently tweaked something today so that your Doom playtime can actually be tracked. It also forces a direct DOS Box launch now. :downs:

So I'll just be launching GZDoom manually for the rest of my Doom 1 playthrough, but I'll miss the neat little Steam front end for everything. Oh well.

You can always add gzDoom as a "non-Steam game" to Steam, which will get you the overlay and whatnot.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

H2Omelon posted:

[RE: Scoredoom], but the one thorn in my side about it is that if you want to just go for a single level score, there's no consistent starting point between players. If for example I wanted to set the high score for Doom2's MAP16 I'd have to do at least the two secret levels as "prep" ending them with full health and armour and a BFG with 600 cells otherwise I'd never be able to set a high score because obviously starting out fully kitted up rather than a pistol start will let me cause more carnage in a shorter time and thus score better. Then if I wanted to do MAP17 I'd have to repeat the entire process only also trying to finish MAP16 with as many resources as possible. There's no distinction between setting a level hi-score on it's own and setting one as part of a full wad score, and both require different strategies to maximise the score.

ScoreDoom updated to 3.0r3, Pistol Start Mode added, so individual level hi score attacks make more sense. You'll need to turn this mode on in the ScoreDoom Setup options screen. Information on other fixes & changes to ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST in the patch(es) on the 'news' link: http://www.scoredoom.com

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

You can always add gzDoom as a "non-Steam game" to Steam, which will get you the overlay and whatnot.

You can just straight up replace the dosbox executable (ie. rename gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe). Playtime tracking and overlay still work.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ddraigcymraeg posted:

ScoreDoom updated to 3.0r3, Pistol Start Mode added, so individual level hi score attacks make more sense. You'll need to turn this mode on in the ScoreDoom Setup options screen. Information on other fixes & changes to ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST in the patch(es) on the 'news' link: http://www.scoredoom.com

That's great news, thanks for the info.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Chinook posted:

That's great news, thanks for the info.

No problem. 3.0 is my last version of the engine/mod before moving onto other pastures, and this change makes so much sense, that I had to add it :P

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Awesome stuff, will have to play Scoredoom more often now.

EDIT: It's not letting me set online high scores and always says that it's disabled. I'll try installing it into a new directory instead of overwriting the old version and see if that fixes it.

EDIT2: Yeah that fixed it, guess I'd changed something I shouldn't have.

EDIT3: Now it disables hi-scores again every time I load a game. I'm doing Hardcore In-Fighting Pistol start mode and it keeps disabling hi-scores when I load one of the start of level autosaves. Console says the save game is incompatible with pistol start mode. Fortunately it's not a huge issue because I can easily just IDCLEV to the appropriate map slot given that it's pistol start mode.

H2Omelon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 5, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Golbez posted:

:circlefap:

Let's see, of these I'm lacking D3X, Final Doom, Master Levels, both Q2 expansions, and Team Arena... hey wait a second, this is just Doom and Quake! As you said! No Heretic/Hexen love? Oh well, I already legitimately own all those.

FYI, there's also http://store.steampowered.com/sub/11027/ which is all id and Bethesda games. So it's the above pack, plus Brink, Call of Cthulhu, Commander Keen, Fallout 3 + expansions, Heretic, Hexen, Hexen expansion, Hexen 2 (no Heretic 2?), Hunted: The Demon's Forge, RtCW, Rogue Warrior, Spear of Destiny, Morrowind, Oblivion, and Wolf3D all for $70. Not a bad deal, not bad at all. Hell, for Oblivion and Fallout 3 alone, that's worth it. Hmm...

Full news article here: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5990/

Not forgetting Fallout: New Vegas and it's expansions, which is far far superior to FO3.

I'm yet to play Q4 even though I suspect I'll be disappointed - the TF2 launcher is well worth the price though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

justbread posted:

You can just straight up replace the dosbox executable (ie. rename gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe). Playtime tracking and overlay still work.
Oh wow, that is maddeningly simple and it works like a charm. Thanks!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Looks like id is going to release the Doom 3 source code later this year (source).

Carmack having to ask Zenimax for permission to do that is kinda :smith:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Rather Dashing posted:

Not forgetting Fallout: New Vegas and it's expansions, which is far far superior to FO3.

Has to be asked - if I have no Fallout 3/New Vegas games now, is it better to get this pack, or get on the 360? Assume I have or will soon have a computer awesome enough to do it justice.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Golbez posted:

Has to be asked - if I have no Fallout 3/New Vegas games now, is it better to get this pack, or get on the 360? Assume I have or will soon have a computer awesome enough to do it justice.

PC, definitely, for mods, of which there are a shitload/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, Bethesda RPGs are always far, far superior on PC.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

SwissCM posted:

Yeah, Bethesda RPGs are always far, far superior on PC.

The sad thing is, if I get this pack, it will be the fourth time I've purchased Morrowind, yet I've never gotten further than Vivec.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

H2Omelon posted:

Awesome stuff, will have to play Scoredoom more often now.

EDIT: It's not letting me set online high scores and always says that it's disabled. I'll try installing it into a new directory instead of overwriting the old version and see if that fixes it.

EDIT2: Yeah that fixed it, guess I'd changed something I shouldn't have.

EDIT3: Now it disables hi-scores again every time I load a game. I'm doing Hardcore In-Fighting Pistol start mode and it keeps disabling hi-scores when I load one of the start of level autosaves. Console says the save game is incompatible with pistol start mode. Fortunately it's not a huge issue because I can easily just IDCLEV to the appropriate map slot given that it's pistol start mode.

Hi. Were the start of the level autosaves generated in the pistol start mode you are playing in? Sounds like they were not. If they were, this is a bug I'll need to patch. I'll probably also add a 'Pistol Start' text on the lower r.h.s. of the hud as well like for the other modes.
Loading a save game that is not in the exact same mode as you have set scoredoom for will cause this, in order to stop potential cheating. Its a pain I know, I do it myself.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Hi. Were the start of the level autosaves generated in the pistol start mode you are playing in? Sounds like they were not. If they were, this is a bug I'll need to patch. I'll probably also add a 'Pistol Start' text on the lower r.h.s. of the hud as well like for the other modes.
Loading a save game that is not in the exact same mode as you have set scoredoom for will cause this, in order to stop potential cheating. Its a pain I know, I do it myself.
Hi. They were created by the pistol start mode in hardcore. Another way you can test this is to speedrun through E1M1 so it autosaves at the start of E1M2 and then die, it automatically reloads the save and disables online scoring.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

H2Omelon posted:

Hi. They were created by the pistol start mode in hardcore. Another way you can test this is to speedrun through E1M1 so it autosaves at the start of E1M2 and then die, it automatically reloads the save and disables online scoring.

cool, thanks. sounds like a bug. will get this patched sometime later today/over the weekend.

EDIT: Found the offending code. Later today then!

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 5, 2011

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought
Ok, patch is in. :)

http://www.scoredoom.com

also has a couple of minor improvements. Actually looking forward to trying to take on some pistol start levels myself now :P

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Minidust posted:

Interesting, are you seeing that for Doom 2, or just Doom? In the case of Doom 2, for me Steam is still launching it through a batch file and not tracking playtime.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Johnny Law posted:

Interesting, are you seeing that for Doom 2, or just Doom? In the case of Doom 2, for me Steam is still launching it through a batch file and not tracking playtime.
Hmm, actually Doom 2 still seems to launch from the batch file for me too. Odd!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Ok, patch is in. :)

http://www.scoredoom.com

also has a couple of minor improvements. Actually looking forward to trying to take on some pistol start levels myself now :P
I've just discovered another bug caused by pistol start mode. Some levels such as Scythe Map10 kill the player at the exit so that they revert to a pistol start for the next level, it seems that when this happens in Scoredoom's pistol start mode you get this bug (the second sentence in the second paragraph is what's happening). I'm not sure how you're resetting the player back to a pistol start but it's throwing the player into the wierd "undead" state beofre exiting which causes the issue.

I've tested it with pistol start mode turned off, and that works correctly.

EDIT: If it reassures you I just tested ZDoom's MAPINFO command resethealth in GZDoom in a similar scenario and it has the same problem (although it lets you pick up objects in the next level) so if you're using some of that code it could be a ZDoom bug. Goona go file a bug report for ZDoom too.

H2Omelon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 6, 2011

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

H2Omelon posted:

I've just discovered another bug caused by pistol start mode. Some levels such as Scythe Map10 kill the player at the exit so that they revert to a pistol start for the next level, it seems that when this happens in Scoredoom's pistol start mode you get this bug (the second sentence in the second paragraph is what's happening). I'm not sure how you're resetting the player back to a pistol start but it's throwing the player into the wierd "undead" state beofre exiting which causes the issue.

I've tested it with pistol start mode turned off, and that works correctly.

EDIT: If it reassures you I just tested ZDoom's MAPINFO command resethealth in GZDoom in a similar scenario and it has the same problem (although it lets you pick up objects in the next level) so if you're using some of that code it could be a ZDoom bug. Goona go file a bug report for ZDoom too.

much appreciated. hmmn interesting bug. looks like I need to do an extra check whether the player is alive or not.

EDIT: Patch is up. Updated to 3.0r3c. Thanks again H2Omelon. Hopefully that should be it.

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 7, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What's the difference between ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST? Does one of them include everything that the other does? ST seems to have online leaderboards, whereas Scoredoom does not, right? Is one of them more updated?

I'm mostly interested in doing pistol start runs and seeing how I compare with others, I guess.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chinook posted:

What's the difference between ScoreDoom and ScoreDoomST? Does one of them include everything that the other does? ST seems to have online leaderboards, whereas Scoredoom does not, right? Is one of them more updated?

I'm mostly interested in doing pistol start runs and seeing how I compare with others, I guess.

I believe ScoreDoomST is for skulltag.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I finally got round to picking up Wolfenstein 3D on the iPhone. It's a good port, and was probably a great game for its time, but I can't help but find it really underwhelming after playing through Doom. The level design, the gun selection, and the lack of meaningful environmental interaction tend to be annoying. It all just underlines how good Doom is.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

justbread posted:

I just wanna add to this and say that you can still use command line stuff from the batch files now. You just enter the parameter into "Launch Options" in the Steam properties. So after renaming gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe, I entered "-file base\D2011MUS.wad" into the launch options. Now Steam can launch Ultimate Doom with GZdoom and new music, and track the playtime!

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Chinook posted:

Its the other way around. Scoredoom is for the local &online leaderboards, and is a port of gzdoom. ScoredoomST is a port of skulltag source release, and is for competitive online co-op with the same scoring system & pretty much same add-on pack. Mind you Scoredoom will do the competitive co-op too, but best for LAN /fast internet. Co-op is an absolute blast, due to the arcade scoring. Winner is the one with most points at intermission/finale/map rotation end/point limit hit.

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 7, 2011

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Minidust posted:

I just wanna add to this and say that you can still use command line stuff from the batch files now. You just enter the parameter into "Launch Options" in the Steam properties. So after renaming gzdoom.exe to dosbox.exe, I entered "-file base\D2011MUS.wad" into the launch options. Now Steam can launch Ultimate Doom with GZdoom and new music, and track the playtime!

Is this something that was fixed in the last day or two? I was trying to specify additional WADs/PK3s using the launch options and skulltag didn't seem to be picking them up (ended up sticking them in the INI).

edit: this was for Ultimate Doom. I didn't try any of the others, but I assumed that aspect of the steam integration was busted

snack soul fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 7, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Last year I built a DOS based machine for old games, basically:
MS-DOS 6.22
Pentium MMX 200MHz
64MB of RAM
4MB ATI PCI Card (better image quality than the 2MB S3 Trio64 V2DX it replaced)
SoundBlaster 16 + Yamaha MIDI Daughterboard

I've been obviously playing the classic Wolf3D, Doom, Doom II, Duke3D, Blood, Rise of the Triads, Shadow Warrior and Quake, among others.

I'm currently in the process of building a 2001~ era machine:
Windows 98SE
Pentium III Tualatin 1.4GHz
512MB of RAM
128MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4400 and a pair of Voodoo2 12MB in SLI that I pulled from the DOS machine.
Integrated Audio

Aside from the obvious Half-Life, glQuake, Quake II, Unreal Gold, Serious Sam and Deus Ex, do you have any suggestions of FPS from that era? Basically anything from Windows 95 to 2001-2002. I'm also taking suggestions for the DOS PC. :)

Thanks a bunch from a youngin discovering the past.

Olivil fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 8, 2011

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
System Shock 1 & 2

e:

Olivil posted:

Oh poo poo are games from the 90s retro cool now? I feel old :smith:

emoticon fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 8, 2011

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

They never stopped being cool :dukedog:

Also, that's a lot of effort compared to just running dosbox or vmware.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

emoticon posted:

System Shock 1 & 2

e:

Oh poo poo are games from the 90s retro cool now? I feel old :smith:

Added to the list, played SS1!
I don't know I think I'm just an old PC guy in a young body

I like jumpers and IDE drives :(

Though I did play Doom II and Duke3D with my dad in my young days, I had a SNES and a N64 so I missed out on the whole PC thing until 4-5 years ago. So I'm not that young, I just missed out.

edit:

justbread posted:

They never stopped being cool :dukedog:

Also, that's a lot of effort compared to just running dosbox or vmware.

Yeah well I repair vintage computers (C64, Amigas, Atari 8-16 bits, Apple II...) in my spare time, so you could say I'm a hardware guy. Currently studying Electronic Engineering.

VVVVV I'm definitely adding Thief Gold to my list, thanks!

Olivil fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 8, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Olivil posted:

request for games

Please add Thief to your list.

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Olivil posted:

Yeah well I repair vintage computers (C64, Amigas, Atari 8-16 bits, Apple II...) in my spare time, so you could say I'm a hardware guy. Currently studying Electronic Engineering.

CE here :respek: -- but no love for clunky hardware (it's fun until you move to a new apartment).

A few things off the top of my head that I don't see on the first page (early '00 stuff): NOLF series, Forsaken, Soldier of Fortune series, Rainbow Six series, Trespasser

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Olivil posted:

I'm currently in the process of building a 2001~ era machine:
Windows 98SE
Pentium III Tualatin 1.4GHz
512MB of RAM
128MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4400 and a pair of Voodoo2 12MB in SLI that I pulled from the DOS machine.
Integrated Audio

Aside from the obvious Half-Life, glQuake, Quake II, Unreal Gold, Serious Sam and Deus Ex, do you have any suggestions of FPS from that era? Basically anything from Windows 95 to 2001-2002. I'm also taking suggestions for the DOS PC. :)

cool, I still have 2 Pentium 2 boxes running WIN98SE. Have them stored away, but they still work. 2 Voodoo 3s, that have been replaced by newer (but still really old) nvidia cards.

These are not FPS's but definitely worth a look, 2 games from Raven:
Take No Prisoners:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_No_Prisoners_%28video_game%29 (very cool game that has that non-PC gritty feel from the 90s, video of its coolness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkZ-6FXV-nY )

& Mage Slayer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mageslayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LN22G0EVWA

Both play like gauntlet. Similarly Project Paradise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd2t5GdUQOU

For an FPS, I would say Rune, but that was built with UT not Unreal, but you may be able to run it ok.

Got a real one, the first major game from the developers of the STALKER series, Codename Outbreak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codename:_Outbreak
(video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PCkUJsDoS8 , may need to fast forward past intro, but its a good for a laugh!)

Really good FPS game with open ended levels. All games mentioned support co-op too, though Rune requires a mod to do it, but the mod works well :)

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 8, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, sure will try to hunt them out.

It's really fun messing with old PCs, I mean people just give them away and it provides a good sense of how PCs changed since then. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just remembered another good one that probably got overlooked by a lot of people: Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. It sounds like it would be terrible but it was actually pretty drat good. I also remember having fun with Shogo: Mobile Armor Division but I have no idea if that was just because I was a kid.