Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

WouldDesk posted:

You say it is "one-sided" so what do you want to hear? The reason why she murdered two innocent people? It can't be justified in any manner.

I think he's questioning whether she actually did murder them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Plucky Brit posted:

I think he's questioning whether she actually did murder them.

The second murder, at least, is pretty darn conclusively her fault.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
It is not all in the documentary but after the book and the reports/reviews from the government came out the evidence is there. I don't know why I even watched it after I read over and over how :smith: it was. Maybe I will watch Schindler's List to cheer me up later.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also for Dear Zachary, and I hate that we have to consistently bring this up since folks can't come to the conclusion themselves, but it's NOT a standard documentary and was never meant to be. The entire loving video started out as a video card for the kid when he grew up so he'd know his father. Then things just started spiraling out of control and the card turned into something out.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Could anyone please recommend a good sailing documentary? I've always had a thing for the idea of taking a tiny boat out against all the elements and I recently watched http://www.channel4.com/programmes/schoolboy-who-sailed-the-world/4od (may not work for those outside the UK) and it was awesome.

I've searched for them but they're really hokey "my local river" type poo poo. Something as awesome as sailing around the world must have some good docs attached but I can't find them.

ps, watch that above mentioned doc. That kid is great and should probably kill his father because he's a projecting worthless rear end in a top hat who inadvertently gave his son the most exhilarating and DANGEROUS rite-of-passage any kid should get to satisfy himself.

Mogitis
Oct 15, 2008

My forehead's not that big, right?
Just came in here to say this thread is awesome, and I am looking forward to wasting so many hours on a lot of these. I am sure I will gain many a pound on the couch. (gently caress, I have work and school is starting soon.)

Can't say enough about Nature's Greatest Events (from page 4). It is about on par with Planet Earth and Life, if you like that sort of thing. I, for one, am in love with nature documentaries... seeing as I own Wild China, Ganges, Yellowstone, Planet Earth, Life, etc. etc.

Seriously you should watch all of those.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005

Rapacity posted:

Could anyone please recommend a good sailing documentary? I've always had a thing for the idea of taking a tiny boat out against all the elements and I recently watched http://www.channel4.com/programmes/schoolboy-who-sailed-the-world/4od (may not work for those outside the UK) and it was awesome.

I've searched for them but they're really hokey "my local river" type poo poo. Something as awesome as sailing around the world must have some good docs attached but I can't find them.

ps, watch that above mentioned doc. That kid is great and should probably kill his father because he's a projecting worthless rear end in a top hat who inadvertently gave his son the most exhilarating and DANGEROUS rite-of-passage any kid should get to satisfy himself.

I want to say it was the BBC who produced a show a few years ago where a crew of sailors do a transatlantic crossing on a 18th century man-of-war. Can't remember the name of the show.

e: it was called The Ship

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 5, 2011

Outer Heaven
Jul 19, 2011

Mogitis posted:

Can't say enough about Nature's Greatest Events (from page 4). It is about on par with Planet Earth and Life, if you like that sort of thing. I, for one, am in love with nature documentaries... seeing as I own Wild China, Ganges, Yellowstone, Planet Earth, Life, etc. etc.

Seriously you should watch all of those.

I recently decided to start a nice blu-ray collection of nature documentaries. I started with Planet Earth and my list of upcoming purchases is basically what you have just listed (Life is next).

Have you seen Wonders of the Solar System? Does it belong in the same caliber as the shows you listed?

I can also recommend South Pacific (I think it's called Wild Pacific in some regions). It has some really breathtaking images.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rapacity posted:

Have you seen "Solo?"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1297301/

It's very very good. Only an hour long, but check it out.

Ferret Glow
Jan 25, 2010

SuperTaunt is the best thing in video games.
I saw a related video on one of the heroin documentaries, watched it and it was quite good. It was called Black tar heroin - the dark end. But the thing that was interesting is that 2 of the women featured in it posted comments recently, apparently they are both sober and happy now.

I just love the internet, these comments were about a month or 2 old, from a 10 year old documentary, I think they are the only 2 who survived though. Still... that is quite the update, and it made my day.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Rapacity posted:

Deep Water is a great documentary about the first solo sailing race around the world, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3Be0klAvA

Mogitis
Oct 15, 2008

My forehead's not that big, right?

Outer Heaven posted:

I recently decided to start a nice blu-ray collection of nature documentaries. I started with Planet Earth and my list of upcoming purchases is basically what you have just listed (Life is next).

Have you seen Wonders of the Solar System? Does it belong in the same caliber as the shows you listed?

I can also recommend South Pacific (I think it's called Wild Pacific in some regions). It has some really breathtaking images.

I have not seen Wonders of the Solar System. I know it's in a similar vein, but I haven't yet ventured into the "astronomical" documentaries. They do pique my interest though. I have heard of Wild Pacific but haven't seen that either.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Does anyone have any documentaries about Judaism? Especially Orthodox or Conservative Jews? Or Jews in Israel? Thanks.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Zorba the Greek posted:

Does anyone have any documentaries about Judaism? Especially Orthodox or Conservative Jews? Or Jews in Israel? Thanks.

I haven't seen it myself but Defamation is about antisemitisms effects on Israeli politics and is supposed to be pretty. Louis Theroux also recently made a doc called Louis and the Ultra Zionists in which he meets Jewish settlers in the West Bank.

isaacelric
Oct 4, 2010
I looked through the list but couldn't find it: The Century of Self.
It's a four-part documentary series investigating how Freuds ideas helped shape the consumer culture we now live in. More specifically it's about his lesser known nephew, Edward Bernays, and how he used the ideas of early psychoanalytic-theory to create the public relations industry, teaching the corporations how to influence people into buying consumer goods. It also covers a lot psychoanalytic theory and opposing theories as well as the historical conditions throughout the century. It's mostly compiled of old footage and interviews mixed with slightly bizarre and psychedelic music. Not exactly eye candy or relaxation material, but still very educational and properly done.

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432232/

Saucy Slit
Jul 27, 2011
"Popcorn Sutton", moonshiner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Atwt_RMcA&feature=related

This was on PBS recently featuring Sutton, who makes Appalachia moonshine in the old way. With methods passed down thru generations, etc.
I couldn't find anything else on the documentary (which is around an hour long) but this clip. It was an interesting watch seeing this frail seeming old man, construct a brew tank and fire pit outdoors w/ the technique of a chemist and master mason.
I don't drink, am not country by far, but this PBS documentary was really awesome. A good insight into American culture that's kind of tucked away in time.

Saucy Slit fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2011

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

CeeJee posted:

Deep Water is a great documentary about the first solo sailing race around the world, one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3Be0klAvA

Stop what you're doing and watch this one now, it's great.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Nermal posted:

Stop what you're doing and watch this one now, it's great.

Funny that you should just post this because I'm about to do just that. Thanks for the suggestions, peeps.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
Speaking of awesome documentaries: Cosmos is getting a sequel, to be hosted by Neil de Grasse Tyson.

So mark your calendars, kids, because 2013 will be when Cosmos 2: The Wrath of Carl comes out.

Just for shits and giggles, other titles they should consider:

Cosmos 2: Cosmos Harder
Cosmos 2: Nerds in Paradise
Cosmos 2: The Destruction of Pat Robert Syn
Cosmos 2: Supernova Boogaloo
Cosmos 2: Because gently caress YOU, GOD
Cosmos 2: Sagan in the Hood
Cosmos 2: The Quickening
Cosmos Too!
The Rage: Cosmos 2
Cosmos vs. Zigra
2 Cosmos 2 Furious

stray fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 7, 2011

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Well, I just watched Deep Water and, yes, it was very good but I suppose it was limited by technology. They obviously chose to fixate on the demented no-hoper because they physically had very little footage of the actual goings on. When the film started I wondered how they were going to get any good footage given that they were travelling before gps etc and, sure enough, there was little actual film of any of the competitors. Hardly surprising given the very nature of the competition, solo.

It's a pity that the winner and all around British hero wasn't given more than a few minutes coverage but I guess his brass balls hosed up the camera through interference or something.

The best part was the loving french maniac choosing to just go around again LMAO. Meh, gently caress ze prize I juss wan to keep sailin, you know? Like I'll sail forezer and live off flies whish I just skim out of ze air wiss my gills.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I agree, it was amazing. Truly excellent. I recommend it even if you have otherwise no interest in sailing.

You think you could do everyone else a favor and spoiler that last paragraph?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Rapacity posted:

The best part was the loving french maniac choosing to just go around again LMAO. Meh, gently caress ze prize I juss wan to keep sailin, you know? Like I'll sail forezer and live off flies whish I just skim out of ze air wiss my gills.

I really wish they had gone into his trip more. After going rogue on the race he sailed for another four months before stopping in Tahiti where he met and married a woman, worked on his book, and tried to be a farmer before up and leaving his life, wife, and newborn son in the same boat, eventually making his way back to Paris where he published five more books.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'm a big enthusiast of historical villains and scoundrels. I've seen the Idi Amin documentary a few times, and I'm pretty well familiar with most of the classic standbys (Caligula, Vlad the Impaler, De Sade, etc.). I'd love to learn about someone new, or watch a particularly unique one of a figure I'm already familiar with.

I check in on this thread every month or so, so forgive me if I'm repeating something that's been suggested before.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

12th and Delaware is an HBO doc about a streetcorner with an abortion clinic on one side and a "Don't have an abortion" clinic on the other. A staff member from one falls in love with a staff member from the other, and then they get pregnant and have to decide if okay that's not true but it's still very interesting.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=LYZ80I2J
Really sad. A girl seeking an abortion because her boyfriend was abusive and she needed to focus on raising her two kids being told by the head of the 'pregnancy care centre' that "maybe your boyfriend will stop being abusive if you have the baby" was enraging. Also the musclehead intimidating girls and following abortion doctors is the worst person I've seen in a documentary since forever.

Any more documentaries in the vein of First Person/Life on the Mesa/Theroux/Trouble in Amish Paradise? Meaning documentaries about outsiders or plain weird people that are made in a sympathetic light, without being too judging or 'look at these freaks'?

Good thread.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

isaacelric posted:

I looked through the list but couldn't find it: The Century of Self.
It's a four-part documentary series investigating how Freuds ideas helped shape the consumer culture we now live in. More specifically it's about his lesser known nephew, Edward Bernays, and how he used the ideas of early psychoanalytic-theory to create the public relations industry, teaching the corporations how to influence people into buying consumer goods. It also covers a lot psychoanalytic theory and opposing theories as well as the historical conditions throughout the century. It's mostly compiled of old footage and interviews mixed with slightly bizarre and psychedelic music. Not exactly eye candy or relaxation material, but still very educational and properly done.

imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432232/
Thanks for posting this, I've been wanting to do it for a month now but can never muster up a decent description. You did a great job, and I'd like to add to it, as I feel it is important that as many people watch it as possible.

There is no official source to view this documentary. It was broadcast on BBC4 in 2003, and the primary source for viewing it is a VHS recording someone made from back then. This taped program has been uploaded multiple times over the years to Youtube and Google Video. The quality is low. There are multiple bootleg DVDs of the program available on Amazon and elsewhere, however they are all sourced from the same VHS home recording. The BBC has never published the program to home video, presumably due to the dual headed monster of cost of clearances for the mountains of licensed footage used, and the nature of the documentary, which would add to the difficulty of obtaining clearances.

I recently located a pristine copy of this program, sourced from someone who borrowed DVDs of the program from the BBC's library (you can do that!) and made a perfect copy from it. It's much cleaner than the one you're about to watch.

Someone has compiled all four parts in one video on Youtube, however they've inexplicably cropped it to fit widescreen, making them very stupid people.

Here are places you can view each installment in the correct format. Descriptions are taken from the Youtube above.

The Century of the Self
A documentary by Adam Curtis

Part 1: Happiness Machines

Part one documents the story of the relationship between Sigmund Freud and his American nephew, Edward Bernays who invented 'Public Relations' in the 1920s, being the first person to take Freud's ideas to manipulate the masses. He showed American corporations how they could make people want things they didn't need by systematically linking mass-produced goods to their unconscious desires.

Part 2: The Engineering of Consent

Part two explores how those in power in post-war America used Freud's ideas about the unconscious mind to try and control the masses. Politicians and planners came to believe Freud's underlying premise that deep within all human beings were dangerous and irrational desires. They were convinced that it was the unleashing of these instincts that had led to the barbarism of Nazi Germany, and in response to this, they set out to find ways to control the masses so as to manage the 'hidden enemy' within the human mind.

Part 3: There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads, He Must Be Destroyed

In the 1960s, a radical group of psychotherapists challenged the influence of Freudian ideas, which lead to the creation of a new political movement that sought to create 'new people', free of the psychological conformity that had been implanted in people's minds by business and politics. This episode shows how this idea rapidly developed in America through "self-help movements", into the irresistible rise of the expressive self: the Me Generation.

Part 4: Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering

This episode explains how politicians turned to the same techniques used by business in order to read and manipulate the inner desires of the masses. Both New Labor with Tony Blair and the Democrats led by Bill Clinton, used the focus group which had been invented by psychoanalysts in order to regain power. Both set out to mold their policies to manipulate people's innermost desires and feelings, just as capitalism had learned to do with products.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Lone Rogue posted:

I can promise you that every single person I saw in the Loss Prevention office for the entire time I worked at two different stores never got their faces photographed by Wal-Mart or the Police. Most of them were let go as well. I can also promise you that Wal-Mart is a cheap company that would never spend money on that technology

Even though you saw no pictures being taken, I can guarantee you Wal-mart uses the NRMA retail theft database - which just requires a scan of someone's license (so they wouldn't need to take pictures in the office). But I seriously doubt they'd let someone go without entering them into the database; even if they don't want to prosecute, they want to make sure they never inadvertently hire that person.

I'm surprised more people don't know about retail theft databases, specifically the NRMA's database (the biggest one) - I found out about them working in retail, and was shocked. They're just a private organization that gathers together info on shoplifters from members (all the large chain organizations are members). When someone applies for work, part of the background check done is to see if they have a hit on the NRMA's RTD. They're like credit bureaus, and so they're governed by the same rules - which means any transgression follows you around for 7 years before it's wiped from the record. It's a bit intense to punish someone by cutting off their career options for 7 years, but, well, retailers are serious about this stuff.

But yeah, no large retailer would just let people go and say 'don't do it again' - get caught at any chain and you're getting entered into the NRMA theft database.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 7, 2011

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art
The thread about To Catch a Predator reminded me of this BBC documentary following the UK Child Protection Team as they raid and prosecute people for possession of child pornography. Be warned that it's very depressing and upsetting in places. I can't imagine having to do a job like this and looking at the stuff they're describing without having a total mental breakdown.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jan2_police-protecting-children-1_people
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jb49_police-protecting-children-2_people
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jclk_police-protecting-children-3_people
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2jd9y_police-protecting-children-4_people
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2je17_police-protecting-children-5_people
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2je4f_police-protecting-children-6_people

It's also notable because one of the arrestees featured is Pete Townshend.

EDIT 2 : As well as the disturbing description there is also some (adult) nudity, so it's definitely :nws:. Also they show some of the stuff they seize in censored form, which is still incredibly :nms:.

El Goatherd fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 9, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

El Goatherd posted:

The thread about To Catch a Predator reminded me of this BBC documentary following the UK Child Protection Team as they raid and prosecute people for possession of child pornography. Be warned that it's very depressing and upsetting in places. I can't imagine having to do a job like this and looking at the stuff they're describing without having a total mental breakdown.

EDIT : As well as the disturbing description there is also some (adult) nudity, so it's definitely :nws:.

I haven't clicked on it yet, I'm not sure whether I can take it or not. But is it by any chance this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRRw1ERj2Gc

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Rapacity posted:

Could anyone please recommend a good sailing documentary? I've always had a thing for the idea of taking a tiny boat out against all the elements...

If you can get over the hipsterish-ness of this video, it is pretty much in the same vein. http://vimeo.com/15351476

It's about 4 people who read a couple of sailing books, then spend a year (?) sailing the Caribbean. It's really well done, and pretty interesting too.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Sleepstupid posted:

If you can get over the hipsterish-ness of this video, it is pretty much in the same vein. http://vimeo.com/15351476

It's about 4 people who read a couple of sailing books, then spend a year (?) sailing the Caribbean. It's really well done, and pretty interesting too.

Yeeaaaaah, well, being British I'm not really familiar with "hipsterish-ness" but I made it nearly 20 minutes in and I just couldn't take any more. I'm not sure if there's a term for it but the droning, nasal delivery of the narrator just turned me off. It's almost monotone and so obviously being read from a script with absolutely no personality that I just couldn't bear it. Sorry.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Even though you saw no pictures being taken, I can guarantee you Wal-mart uses the NRMA retail theft database - which just requires a scan of someone's license (so they wouldn't need to take pictures in the office). But I seriously doubt they'd let someone go without entering them into the database; even if they don't want to prosecute, they want to make sure they never inadvertently hire that person.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had access to use it but just never did. Mind you I'm just one former associate from two stores in Canada and I'm speaking from experience of one in particular. I saw people get grabbed, sat in a room with the door open half of the time, get yelled at, police threatened to be called, police called and police just escorting the person out. This was especially entertaining when they arrested someone who was really old stealing a can of tuna and every one looked down on the store and loss prevention, especially the cops. The one guy always had this deer in headlights look on him like he wanted to freak out because, "IT'S A CRIMINAL! THIS IS A BLACK AND WHITE SITUATION, DAMNIT!"

But yeah. Hey, does any one know if you can find "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" streamed anywhere anymore? I can't find it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

El Goatherd posted:

EDIT : As well as the disturbing description there is also some (adult) nudity, so it's definitely :nws:.
Oh God, they actually show censored child pornography on this thing. I couldn't watch any further after they showed it. It's blurred and mostly censored but it's pretty clear what's going on and it's just terrible.

I'm not saying it's a bad documentary, but just a heads up... it's painful to watch.

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art

the kawaiiest posted:

Oh God, they actually show censored child pornography on this thing. I couldn't watch any further after they showed it. It's blurred and mostly censored but it's pretty clear what's going on and it's just terrible.

Sorry, you're right and I should have put up an extra warning. It was broadcast on BBC1 originally and they received a bit of criticism for that. Like you say, even though it's very heavily censored, it's still incredibly disturbing.

I can understand the editorial decision to do that though. It's not like I didn't think pedophiles and child pornography were bad before I saw that documentary, but seeing those images made it suddenly very immediate and real and drove home just how loving horrible this thing is.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Cosmos 2: Because you still believe in Astrology.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Rapacity posted:

Could anyone please recommend a good sailing documentary?

I guess this is only tangentially related and also gratuitously depressing to a degree, but here's a VBS tv documentary where they sail on a catamaran to the whirlpool of garbage and plastic in the middle of the pacific ocean:

Toxic Garbage Island
part 1:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

part 2:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-2-of-3

part 3:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-3-of-3

If it hasn't been said in this thread [, zed,] https://vbs.tv was born and bred for documentary cred.

You just have to get past the fact that that one dude wants to be Ernest Hemingway hard (he's not in the garbage island ones, he's in the vice guide to Liberia and North Korea), and that a lot of the films are depressing as hell but also real as hell. I've heard arguments made either as far as presenting fair, unbiased viewpoints.

---------

Ever wonder what happened on the last day of World War 1? Its not like German dignitaries signed the treaty of Versailles as their country was imploding and then BAM the war was instantly over - they had to have time to disseminate the fact that the fighting was going to end otherwise one side that was aware of the fact might have gotten steamrolled by the other side who was not. Many men still died on the very last day.

This is a Michael Palin film, The Last Day of World War 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-280028869456988957

One of my favorite World War 1 poets died on the last day:

Wilfred Owen visa vie http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html posted:

DULCE ET DECORUM EST

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.
Gas! Gas! Quick, boys! – An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.
In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.
If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen
8 October 1917 - March, 1918

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'd heard that Pete Townshend's story is that he was doing his own independent research on child abuse and just got a little deeper than the law allows private citizens to scour. Any confirmation on this?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I heard that too. Does that help?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

El Goatherd posted:

Sorry, you're right and I should have put up an extra warning. It was broadcast on BBC1 originally and they received a bit of criticism for that. Like you say, even though it's very heavily censored, it's still incredibly disturbing.

I can understand the editorial decision to do that though. It's not like I didn't think pedophiles and child pornography were bad before I saw that documentary, but seeing those images made it suddenly very immediate and real and drove home just how loving horrible this thing is.
Yeah it's just... I really wasn't expecting to actually see that, so I just wanted to let people know. I imagine the BBC had good reasons to do things the way they did, but if I'd known in advance that it had been done that way I probably wouldn't have watched it. It's blurred and censored, but... not enough.

Edit: seriously though I'm not religious but sometimes I hope there's a hell.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 9, 2011

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Doppelganger posted:

I'd heard that Pete Townshend's story is that he was doing his own independent research on child abuse and just got a little deeper than the law allows private citizens to scour. Any confirmation on this?

That was his story, he was given a police caution and placed on the sex offenders register for five years.

He actually produced this document discussing child abuse, child pornography and the internet: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/pete-townshends-child-porn-treatise%20#lightbox-popup-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

The Scientist posted:

I guess this is only tangentially related and also gratuitously depressing to a degree, but here's a VBS tv documentary where they sail on a catamaran to the whirlpool of garbage and plastic in the middle of the pacific ocean:

Toxic Garbage Island
part 1:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-1-of-3

part 2:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-2-of-3

part 3:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/toxic/toxic-garbage-island-3-of-3

If it hasn't been said in this thread [, zed,] https://vbs.tv was born and bred for documentary cred.

You just have to get past the fact that that one dude wants to be Ernest Hemingway hard (he's not in the garbage island ones, he's in the vice guide to Liberia and North Korea), and that a lot of the films are depressing as hell but also real as hell. I've heard arguments made either as far as presenting fair, unbiased viewpoints.

Are you talking about Shane Smith? Yeah, he is channeling Hemingway, but I really liken his work. Especially his North Korea and Liberia documentaries are just stunning. Especially the part of the Liberia docu with General Butt Naked are just :stare:. You wouldn't get an effect like this in a classic documentary.

Two requests:

1. Are there any good documentaries on the spanish civil war?
2. Are there any good documentaries on the expat scene in South East Asia?