Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

SERIOUS posted:

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

This is why support surveys always use the things like 90th Percentile or 95th Percentile. There sometimes will be just one person with one case that sucks, in which their system fails and someone is left incredibly unhappy.

You should ask for a free iPod Touch for your troubles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

FlashBangBob posted:

This is why support surveys always use the things like 90th Percentile or 95th Percentile. There sometimes will be just one person with one case that sucks, in which their system fails and someone is left incredibly unhappy.

You should ask for a free iPod Touch for your troubles.

I already have an iPod and an iPhone, so getting a free iPod Touch will do nothing for me. Even if I got it, I'd probably never use it so it'd be a hollow victory. Maybe I should ask for a free 16gb wifi-only iPad....:frogbon: (Yeah I know, I'm reaching...)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Still having a hard time deciding between the 11 & 13 MBA.

Battery life doesn't seem to be that big an issue (+- 30 minutes according to Anandtech) but my main concern is the screen size.

What do people who have them think? I'd mainly use it for casual web-browsing & emailing. I already have a desktop and an ipad but want something usable on a couch.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

shrike82 posted:

Battery life doesn't seem to be that big an issue (+- 30 minutes according to Anandtech) but my main concern is the screen size.

What do people who have them think? I'd mainly use it for casual web-browsing & emailing. I already have a desktop and an ipad but want something usable on a couch.

Get the higher 11", the one that comes with 4GB and 128GB. For couch surfing it is fantastic. Have you ever used an iPad on a couch, though? -- they were made just for this.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

FlashBangBob posted:

Get the higher 11", the one that comes with 4GB and 128GB. For couch surfing it is fantastic. Have you ever used an iPad on a couch, though? -- they were made just for this.

Hey, he's holding it wrong. :)

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

shrike82 posted:

For your use, I'd say 11". I originally bought the base 13" but returned it for an i7 11". The 13" is great and I really liked it, but I use an external monitor when doing work at home so I went with the most portable solution. The 11" definitely feels big enough to me now that I've had some time to play with it, but I wasn't sure until I had one at home. Playing with them at the Apple Store couldn't convince me. Remember that you have 14 days to decide to return one if you decide you want something bigger.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

SERIOUS posted:

I already have an iPod and an iPhone, so getting a free iPod Touch will do nothing for me. Even if I got it, I'd probably never use it so it'd be a hollow victory. Maybe I should ask for a free 16gb wifi-only iPad....:frogbon: (Yeah I know, I'm reaching...)

You could sell it and get $200 for your wasted time.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

japtor posted:

I used my first mini like that :v:, basically cause it was my only Intel Mac at the time. I had a setup at work so I could just plug a few cables in to get going, and the same thing at home.

All the indications are rumors which may or may not be true...as always. Not sure they can do much spec wise at this point so it'd be for a redesign if there is anything new this year, probably killing the optical and all that stuff. If performance is your main concern just buy now. If no new rumors pop up after the iPhone comes out there's probably nothing coming, or the rumor mongerers are just busy camping out for new iPhones.

Depending on what "light gaming" is, the HD3000 in the MBA/MBP 13" might be fine, and if you need more space you could use a big external screen at home. And SSDs are worth it, depending on how much you're spending I guess. Like the config where it's ~$200 for the 128GB drive is a decent deal, but something like $600 for 256 would be overpriced compared to an aftermarket one.

Yeah "light gaming" was sort of a lie; I want to play Skyrim and BF3 with what little free time I'll have (that's the light part about it). I don't know if any MBP graphics card could handle those. It might just be time to learn to enjoy an FPS on the 360..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Did Steve ever explain why Apple still sells keyboards with white keys?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SERIOUS posted:

Just when I thought I was done with the Apple Store from Hell....

I was moving my iMac, and holding it from the bottom of the screen, and something poked my finger.

I feel around and, on the bottom of the aluminum shell for the screen, is a ding....as if it was banged against the edge of a table or something.

It's not noticeable unless you feel for it, (and frankly I doubt it's even less than a millimeter in length) and it doesn't effect my computer's performance at all....but it definitely wasn't there BEFORE I left it at the store. (and the sheet i have of my repair shows "cosmetic condition: normal" so that establishes it wasn't there prior to my taking it in...)

So, just when I thought I'd never have to deal with this hellhole of an Apple Store again, now I have to go down there and ask why the hell my iMac has a tiny ding on the bottom of the screen's aluminum casing, that really could only have gotten there if it'd have been dropped along the edge of something.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Maybe you should just let it go, dude. It's a millimeter-sized ding on the bottom of the case that you never look at anyway. You don't strike me as the calmest person, so do you really want to go back to that store just to huff and puff in the manager's face for... what exactly? A useless iPod touch like you mentioned?

Bob Morales posted:

Did Steve ever explain why Apple still sells keyboards with white keys?

To match the mouse they usually ship with?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Racist posted:

Maybe you should just let it go, dude. It's a millimeter-sized ding on the bottom of the case that you never look at anyway. You don't strike me as the calmest person, so do you really want to go back to that store just to huff and puff in the manager's face for... what exactly? A useless iPod touch like you mentioned?

I didn't mention the iPod touch - someone else did and I said I'd have no use for it.

I normally am quite a calm person (check my post history - I'm really quite polite usually! :)), but I think I'm certainly entitled to be aggravated after this debacle. Besides, what if that ding is because my iMac was dropped, and now the insides are all wonky? I won't know that. Considering I paid good money for this Mac, I'd like it to not be dropped.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
You're certainly entitled to be aggravated and pursue resolution however you see fit. I just find it annoying since this is the Mac Hardware thread, not the Complain About Apple Retail Stores thread. If you need to vent, there are other, more productive outlets - sjobs@apple.com, Yelp, etc.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Can someone tell me where to get low profile USB keys relatively cheap? Looking for something that will mesh with my unibody MBP.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Can someone tell me where to get low profile USB keys relatively cheap? Looking for something that will mesh with my unibody MBP.

Try one of the places that make custom ones, they have some really cool designs but you have to have a minimum order.

http://www.expressusbdrives.com/

Maybe get some SA ones made up.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Space Racist posted:

You're certainly entitled to be aggravated and pursue resolution however you see fit. I just find it annoying since this is the Mac Hardware thread, not the Complain About Apple Retail Stores thread. If you need to vent, there are other, more productive outlets - sjobs@apple.com, Yelp, etc.

I just figured it was okay to post about it here since it's about Mac hardware. I'll stop if it bothers anyone.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SERIOUS posted:

I just figured it was okay to post about it here since it's about Mac hardware. I'll stop if it bothers anyone.

I am rather interested in seeing the outcome of the whole situation personally. It's warranted here and better than speculating about the next refresh of MBP with True Retina HiDPI Display Pad.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Does anyone know if the 4 gigs OEM ram that came in my 2011 13" mbp would work in a c2d 13" from mid 2009? I just got my 8gigs today and have nothing to do with the old ram besides give it to a friend.

Edit: Also 8 gigs of ram owns bones.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 5, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

Does anyone know if the 4 gigs OEM ram that came in my 2011 13" mbp would work in a c2d 13" from mid 2009? I just got my 8gigs today and have nothing to do with the old ram besides give it to a friend.

Might, might not. Most people report the 10600/10666 doesn't work in the C2D's but in some cases it works. Only takes a few minutes to try. Sell it to someone with a newer iMac, they have 4 slots.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Space Racist posted:

Well I think it's a good anecdote just incase I ever have to send in my Macbook Air for repair and get lovely service. I'm interested in the outcome.

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Space Racist posted:

I'm interested in the ongoing saga too. It's Mac Hardware, and this is the Mac Hardware thread. I'm not sure if you're pissy because you're a genius bar employee and feel personally attacked, or just an super "Apple can do no wrong" fanboy who's getting his panties in a wad.

But whatever it is, SERIOUS has a pretty distinctive avatar, so just skip his posts if you dislike them so much.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I have a quick question that Google isn't really helping me with. I just got the base model iMac with a numeric keyboard. The function buttons, the ones that adjust things like volume and brightness, either don't do anything or do the wrong thing. For example, Volume Up launches the dashboard, Brightness up does nothing, etc. As long as I'm asking, I was supposed to get Lion with this too, wasn't I? It's a brand new iMac from the Apple Store and it came with Snow Leopard.

God everything else is great about it though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Scissors posted:

I'm not sure if you're pissy because you're a genius bar employee and feel personally attacked, or just an super "Apple can do no wrong" fanboy who's getting his panties in a wad.

Oh jeez, I didn't think about that: what if the Geniuses in this particular Apple Store are watching this very thread? :tinfoil:

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
I wasn't sure where else to ask this question and I figured this would be the best place.

Long story short I dropped my iPhone 3GS in a toilet, got it dry after keeping it in a bag of rice for a week, booted it up and the screen is dead. Sounds still work and when I plug it into my I still see all my music, etc. so I think the hard drive is still alright. Basically I was wondering if I could take the screen from my original iPhone and put it into my dead 3GS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apparition posted:

I wasn't sure where else to ask this question and I figured this would be the best place.

Long story short I dropped my iPhone 3GS in a toilet, got it dry after keeping it in a bag of rice for a week, booted it up and the screen is dead. Sounds still work and when I plug it into my I still see all my music, etc. so I think the hard drive is still alright. Basically I was wondering if I could take the screen from my original iPhone and put it into my dead 3GS.
There's an iPhone thread in IYG.

I suppose it's worth a shot, but you could also just snag a used phone off of SA-Mart and avoid the trouble.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

Apparition posted:

ifixit.com rates it as "Difficult," and looking at the steps I'm inclined to agree.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-iPhone-3GS-Display/1542/1

They also sell an iPhone 3GS display, which makes me think it's not interchangable with earlier models.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
So within the next few weeks I am going to pick up a new 13" MBP. I was going to upgrade it with a 1TB 3Gb/s drive for $130, but after looking at the laptop's spec sheet on everymac.com and seeing that it supports 6Gb/s drives, I am wondering if it is really worth another $80 to get one that fast.

What do you guys think? Photography and programming are my main things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's an iPhone thread in IYG.

I suppose it's worth a shot, but you could also just snag a used phone off of SA-Mart and avoid the trouble.

pee phone

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SmirkingJack posted:

So within the next few weeks I am going to pick up a new 13" MBP. I was going to upgrade it with a 1TB 3Gb/s drive for $130, but after looking at the laptop's spec sheet on everymac.com and seeing that it supports 6Gb/s drives, I am wondering if it is really worth another $80 to get one that fast.

whether it's sata 3gb/s or 6gb/s won't make a difference; hard drives simply can't make use of that much bandwidth.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Inside Outside posted:

I have a quick question that Google isn't really helping me with. I just got the base model iMac with a numeric keyboard. The function buttons, the ones that adjust things like volume and brightness, either don't do anything or do the wrong thing. For example, Volume Up launches the dashboard, Brightness up does nothing, etc. As long as I'm asking, I was supposed to get Lion with this too, wasn't I? It's a brand new iMac from the Apple Store and it came with Snow Leopard.

Call up AppleCare. They'll probably give you a code to use to download Lion from the Mac App Store. They'll probably say call back if Lion doesn't fix the keyboard function keys.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Scissors posted:

I'm interested in the ongoing saga too. It's Mac Hardware, and this is the Mac Hardware thread. I'm not sure if you're pissy because you're a genius bar employee and feel personally attacked, or just an super "Apple can do no wrong" fanboy who's getting his panties in a wad.

But whatever it is, SERIOUS has a pretty distinctive avatar, so just skip his posts if you dislike them so much.

Sorry dude. Didn't realize you'd take offense to me expressing, well, offense. :shobon: I'm just not clear on the benefit of further updates (beyond info on final resolution of the situation) when it's been firmly established this was a subpar Apple store that SERIOUS went to.

Inside Outside posted:

Check keyboard settings under System Preferences. It's possible to disable the default key functions and remap them to other functions, but I'm guessing you'd remember something like that. Do all the other keys work properly? It's possible you could have just gotten a lemon keyboard.

Also, you should qualify for the Lion up to date program, check the linked page for details. Could be the store was just trying to clear out the old inventory with the Snow Leopard boxes/keyboards.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SmirkingJack posted:

What kind of developing (programming) will you be doing? I'd go SSD + External HD route if you can afford it.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

SmirkingJack posted:

The faster drive speed *might* help if your ability to move photos on/off of cameras or storage was being slowed by the HD, but I think it's usually the opposite. And unless something has changed since I last did programming, it's not typically a HD-intensive undertaking.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's not the speed of the hard drive being described by 3gb/s or 6gb/s. It's the speed of the SATA interface.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

SERIOUS posted:

Considering I paid good money for this Mac, I'd like it to not be dropped.

If you had any work done inside the computer, the aluminum bezel was removed. The bezel itself may have been sat on the floor a little to hard or something could have bumped into it. The floors in the back aren't the nice wood floors you see out front, they're just concrete subfloor.

Your whole computer being dropped would not result in a tiny ding where you state that it is. At best, you may have a case for them to replace the display bezel.

I have on various occasions set down a display bezel too hard on concrete and caused some kind of minor cosmetic damage to our company's machines. The aluminum is pretty soft and easy to ding.

No mechanical drive is going to saturate the bus anyway. Don't pay for 6Gb/s on a hard drive.

Also what 1TB are you getting? And what 6Gb/s drive are you seeing for $80 more? Very little about this adds up.

Yeah, considering my SSD was only a $5 difference for 6Gb/s over 3Gb/s.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

If you had any work done inside the computer, the aluminum bezel was removed.
Not on the aluminum unibody 27" iMacs. All you take off to get at the guts is the glass and the screen.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

Not on the aluminum unibody 27" iMacs. All you take off to get at the guts is the glass and the screen.

Well that's my bad. I can't find where he ever gave a specific model (found it, I guess I just don't remember that far back), and by the number of times I've cut my finger replacing a bezel that I sat down apparently a little too hard on the 20" models, I just assumed.

To be fair, I haven't worked on the unibody models yet because they have yet to become the "education" model.

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 5, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shin-chan posted:

Yeah, considering my SSD was only a $5 difference for 6Gb/s over 3Gb/s.

I think he's referring to a mechanical HDD for the $80 more at 6 GB/s comment. As others have mentioned, a traditional HDD can't even saturate 3 GB/s, much less 6 GB/s, so it's an unnecessary upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shin-chan posted:

Well that's my bad. I can't find where he ever gave a specific model
Only the new 2011 iMac is affected by the Seagate drive recall that had his machine in the shop in the first place.

SourKraut posted:

I think he's referring to a mechanical HDD for the $80 more at 6 GB/s comment. As others have mentioned, a traditional HDD can't even saturate 3 GB/s, much less 6 GB/s, so it's an unnecessary upgrade.
Those drives usually have other benefits than just negotiation speed: longer warranty, more cache, etc.

But I'm still not sure what drives he's comparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

...honor and a penis!

SourKraut posted:

I understand this, that's why I commented what I did. If it's only a $5 difference on an SSD, I can't believe it would add $80 to a HDD.

Only the new 2011 iMac is affected by the Seagate drive recall that had his machine in the shop in the first place.

I realize this, but didn't remember back to 2 weeks ago when he posted it. He just kept referring to "the repair".

Shin-chan fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 5, 2011