Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Why the hell would you do this and not just restore the stuff using Time Machine / Migration assistant?
Why not? In theory it should work just fine. Unless he pulled the Library too. That can probably cause problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Why not? In theory it should work just fine. Unless he pulled the Library too. That can probably cause problems.

I did not pull the library. And I did it precisely because I only wanted to pull a few things - Documents, Music, etc - and NOT transfer over any old cruft I didn't actively want anymore.

Trying the reset password recovery app to see if that resets my permissions as advertised.

e: nope

code:

-bash-3.2# /Applications/Utilities/Reset\ Password.app/Contents/MacOS/Reset\ Password
2011-08-05 14:45:04.983 Reset Password[355:9503] Could not check in to check for terminal pokes.
2011-08-05 14:45:24.142 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions started
2011-08-05 14:49:08.441 Reset Password[355:9503] Some user permissions have been reset
2011-08-05 14:49:08.441 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions complete
2011-08-05 14:49:08.443 Reset Password[355:9503] Repair Home Directory permissions error: Permissions reset on user home directory failed.

And when I restart I still have permissions issues, right down to that same "you can't turn off junk mail because Mail can't write to your library folder" error.

And now I'm worried that even if I clean install again and pull these back with Migration Assistant it'll break because this utility is SUPPOSED to reset all of your permissions / ACLs.

God DAMMIT.

Petey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 5, 2011

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Petey posted:

I did not pull the library. And I did it precisely because I only wanted to pull a few things - Documents, Music, etc - and NOT transfer over any old cruft I didn't actively want anymore.

Trying the reset password recovery app to see if that resets my permissions as advertised.

You could have done this with Time Machine. You could have entered time machine and selected the folders you wanted to restore, and time machine would have done it for you. Don't need to restore the whole disk or user folder, ya know?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think it might cause problems because its using Time Machines proprietary, special way of archiving the data. Time Machine doesn't do a straight copy of the data, doesn't it make an image of the changed stuff and transfer that over? It's not like a file transfer with Finder in that regard. Sure the backup data is accessible and looks nice in Finder, but to restore it I wouldn't just drag poo poo from the backup location onto where I need it. I would use Time Machine cause it was created in Time Machine. My way of thinking is probably flat out wrong here but its worth a thought.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

decypher posted:

You could have done this with Time Machine. You could have entered time machine and selected the folders you wanted to restore, and time machine would have done it for you. Don't need to restore the whole disk or user folder, ya know?

I think it might cause problems because its using Time Machines proprietary, special way of archiving the data. Time Machine doesn't do a straight copy of the data, doesn't it make an image of the changed stuff and transfer that over? It's not like a file transfer with Finder in that regard. Sure the backup data is accessible and looks nice in Finder, but to restore it I wouldn't just drag poo poo from the backup location onto where I need it. I would use Time Machine cause it was created in Time Machine. My way of thinking is probably flat out wrong here but its worth a thought.

You're right, I could have done it using the TM GUI, but the latest backup are just symlinking to the "real" copies of the files, so there is no difference functionally.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try "sudo chmod -R 777 ~" in Terminal. This lets all users on the OS to do whatever they want with your home folder's data.

Note this is a very bad thing to do security wise, so if things are fixed after this, repair permissions or manually set permissions back.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

wolffenstein posted:

Try "sudo chmod -R 777 ~" in Terminal. This lets all users on the OS to do whatever they want with your home folder's data.

Note this is a very bad thing to do security wise, so if things are fixed after this, repair permissions or manually set permissions back.

DO NOT DO THIS.

It gives execute to every file in your home directory, and allows anyone to modify or delete them.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes I made that clear. For the sake of troubleshooting, it's eliminating a permissions problem with the home folder. If the problem persists, something's really hosed with the OS installation or the user account.

Disable SSH and file sharing beforehand if they're enabled.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

The problem is you are going to gently caress them up even more by blindly setting 777. I would go with repair permissions first.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SwimNurd posted:

The problem is you are going to gently caress them up even more by blindly setting 777. I would go with repair permissions first.

Seriously, this. Wanton 777 is just asking for a heap of trouble, even if it's limited to the home directory. Don't do that.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I have seen dumb unix admins get fired for doing poo poo like this.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Obviously you haven't read Petey's posts. He's already tried Repair Permissions among other troubleshooting steps.

He has backups, he seems to be the only user on his Mac right now, and he's been advised on the danger of the command. It's up to him if he wants to try my suggestion or not. Or hell, use 755.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

wolffenstein posted:

Obviously you haven't read Petey's posts. He's already tried Repair Permissions among other troubleshooting steps.

He has backups, he seems to be the only user on his Mac right now, and he's been advised on the danger of the command. It's up to him if he wants to try my suggestion or not.

I would reinstall the OS before I nuked my home directory with global RWX. That's just insane.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You could also try chmod -R 755 on ~/Library/Preferences and creating a new user account to see if that error still exists.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

wolffenstein posted:

You could also try chmod -R 755 on ~/Library/Preferences and creating a new user account to see if that error still exists.

:colbert:

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Hey guys, I've got an iMac set up with a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD.

I've given each hard drive a partition for Mac and Windows, so I can take advantage of the SSD for OS/Apps and the HDD for storage.

If say, I wanted to place my steam games on the Win HDD, would that be fine under FAT32? If that isn't the case, is it fine for me to format Win HDD as NTFS?

I say this because Disk Utility doesn't let your format it as NTFS, and I wanted to check that it wouldn't break the recognition of the HDD in any way. Had a nasty experience with BootCamp loving an MBR a couple of years back.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Hardflip posted:

If say, I wanted to place my steam games on the Win HDD, would that be fine under FAT32? If that isn't the case, is it fine for me to format Win HDD as NTFS?

I say this because Disk Utility doesn't let your format it as NTFS, and I wanted to check that it wouldn't break the recognition of the HDD in any way. Had a nasty experience with BootCamp loving an MBR a couple of years back.

What you should do is format it Fat32 in OS X, and then reformat just the partition to NTFS using Windows. ( It seems like you're about to do this.) This way Windows doesn't feel the need to screw up the partition map. It should hopefully work.

There have been bugs caused by running Steam games on FAT32 instead of NTFS, I would use NTFS for my steam partition.

You can format NTFS from a Mac if you install some open source tools (ntfsprogs), but I haven't done it besides using NTFS3G's tools, and with Winclone.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

Just FYI - it's not just library that is doing this. I get permissions errors anywhere in my home directory. I may try the new user route though just to see what happens.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Petey posted:

Just FYI - it's not just library that is doing this. I get permissions errors anywhere in my home directory. I may try the new user route though just to see what happens.

What happens if you ls -al in your home directory? I'm thinking you might have had a different user id on your old install and your new install.

Type ls -al in your home directory, and type id and send us the result.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

chimz posted:

What happens if you ls -al in your home directory? I'm thinking you might have had a different user id on your old install and your new install.

Type ls -al in your home directory, and type id and send us the result.

Thought of that, but frankly don't know how to tell what my ids were on old vs new. Here's the output:

code:

Chriss-MacBook:~ chris$ ls -al
total 40
drwxr-xr-x+ 18 chris  staff    612 Jul 31 22:41 .
drwxr-xr-x   6 root   admin    204 Jul 23 08:34 ..
-rw-------   1 chris  staff      3 Jul 23 00:30 .CFUserTextEncoding
-rw-r-----@  1 chris  staff  15364 Aug  5 14:03 .DS_Store
srwxr-xr-x   1 chris  staff      0 Jul 31 21:51 .MumbleOverlayPipe
drwxr-x--x+ 39 chris  staff   1326 Aug  5 17:42 .Trash
-rw-r-----+  1 chris  staff   2240 Aug  5 14:28 .bash_history
drwx------+  9 chris  staff    306 Aug  5 20:11 .dropbox
drwxr-x--x+  3 chris  staff    102 Jul 25 18:33 .ssh
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Aug  5 18:18 Desktop
drwx------+ 21 chris  staff    714 Jul 27 22:10 Documents
drwx------+ 33 chris  staff   1122 Aug  3 21:56 Downloads
drwxr-x--x@ 13 chris  staff    442 Aug  5 18:18 Dropbox
drwx------+ 42 chris  staff   1428 Aug  5 13:17 Library
drwx------+ 13 chris  staff    442 Jul  8 20:15 Movies
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Jul 23 21:00 Music
drwx------+ 11 chris  staff    374 Jul 11 20:55 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+  5 chris  staff    170 Jul 23 00:30 Public
Chriss-MacBook:~ chris$ id
uid=501(chris) gid=20(staff) groups=20(staff),402(com.apple.sharepoint.group.1),401(com.apple.access_screensharing),12(everyone),33(_appstore),61(localaccounts),79(_appserverusr),80(admin),81(_appserveradm),98(_lpadmin),100(_lpoperator),204(_developer)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My Library directory has an @ at the end instead of a plus.

I'm not sure what that means exactly, but whatever extended permissions that is probably needs fixing.

You could always rename the Library directory and see if OSX re-creates it. Then move just the contents over.

When I do these manually I just move the app prefs I want, not the whole thing. Can also check what permissions need to be using the another account if you create it.

Spelter
Jul 18, 2007
Are you puissant?
The + at the end of the permissions indicates there are ACLs on those files and directories, I'd guess that has something to do with the problem. I've actually seen something similar happen on Snow Leopard where there were a ton of custom ACLs applied to my home directory.. Try 'chmod -R -N' in your home directory to remove the ACLs, that might fix it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Just read the @ indicates some extended attributes set. Supposed to use 'xattr -l' to view them. Don't have wireless for my mac at the moment, but when i do 'xattr -l ~/Library" the first row has 40 in the 9th pair of numbers, like:
00000000 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |........@.......|

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

chimz posted:

What you should do is format it Fat32 in OS X, and then reformat just the partition to NTFS using Windows. ( It seems like you're about to do this.) This way Windows doesn't feel the need to screw up the partition map. It should hopefully work.

Cheers dude, that worked fine. A shame Steam doesn't let you install games to different directories - I'd love to be able to archive games on my HDD and put newer releases straight onto the SSD.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Hardflip posted:

Cheers dude, that worked fine. A shame Steam doesn't let you install games to different directories - I'd love to be able to archive games on my HDD and put newer releases straight onto the SSD.

Windows can do directory junctions, sort of like a symbolic link, so you can redirect one of your games' folders to another disk. I do this to keep my SSD from filling up. Look up mklink /J.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_symbolic_link

I think there are also apps that let you do this for Steam automagically.

Petey posted:

Thought of that, but frankly don't know how to tell what my ids were on old vs new. Here's the output:

I don't see an obvious problem there, generally if your user was wrong it wouldn't show your name in the ls output, instead it would show a number. With the level of problems and weirdness you're having, I'd backup and reinstall, or create a new user and move some of your stuff over manually.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

A guy with good reputation on the Apple forums recommended this:

code:
1. You will want to boot directly into the effected user.
2. Open Terminal.
3. These commands can be copied and pasted into Terminal one at a time, and wait for the next line that ends in chris$ to indicate the process has finished and the shell is ready for the next line:

sudo chflags -R nouchg /Users/chris/
sudo chmod -R 775 /Users/chris/
sudo chmod -RN /Users/chris/
sudo chown -R chris:staff /Users/chris/

The first removed locks from all files in your home folder.
The second command will correct the permissions of all files in your home folder.
The third removes any ACLs (access Control Lists) from the files in your home folder.
The last command corrects the ownership of the files in your home folder.

4. Reboot the computer as soon as all commands are completed.

Just wanted to run this by the thread to make sure this isn't going to do anything super weird. I don't think it will but I'm not an expert.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Doesn't look too weird, but some stuff isn't 775 so I doubt everything needs to be.
Here is my output to compare if needed. You can see the @ on the Library directory like I mentioned, and your .DS_Store is chmod 640 where mine is 644:

code:
drwxr-xr-x+  32 joshua  staff   1088 Aug  4 04:47 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root    admin    170 Jul 20 22:59 ..
-rw-r--r--@   1 joshua  staff  15364 Aug  5 12:56 .DS_Store
drwx------   23 joshua  staff    782 Aug  5 12:46 .Trash
-rw-------    1 joshua  staff  12613 Aug  2 23:12 .bash_history
drwx------   11 joshua  staff    374 Aug  5 21:36 .dropbox
-rw-r--r--    1 joshua  staff    981 Jul 22 15:57 .profile
drwx------    4 joshua  staff    136 Mar  3 18:22 .ssh
drwxr-xr-x    6 joshua  staff    204 Mar 19 17:28 .subversion
-rw-------    1 joshua  staff   5819 Aug  4 04:47 .viminfo
drwxr-xr-x    2 joshua  staff     68 Jul 25 20:30 Applications
drwx------+  14 joshua  staff    476 Aug  4 03:04 Desktop
drwx------+  17 joshua  staff    578 Aug  4 03:04 Documents
drwx------+ 158 joshua  staff   5372 Aug  5 12:46 Downloads
drwx------@  15 joshua  staff    510 Jul 31 23:47 Dropbox
drwx------@  47 joshua  staff   1598 Aug  1 00:39 Library
drwx------+   4 joshua  staff    136 Mar 29 01:49 Movies
drwx------+   5 joshua  staff    170 Apr  5 17:12 Music
drwx------+  14 joshua  staff    476 Jul 24 19:49 Pictures
drwxr-xr-x+   6 joshua  staff    204 Jul 21 01:26 Public
drwxr-xr-x+  10 joshua  staff    340 Aug  2 19:14 Sites
code:
Joshuas-MacBook-Pro:~ joshua$ xattr -l ~/*
/Users/joshua/Dropbox: com.apple.FinderInfo:
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
00000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|
/Users/joshua/Library: com.apple.FinderInfo:
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 40 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |........@.......|
00000010  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  |................|

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mikey-San posted:

Time Machine does not sync local snapshots to your backup disk. You also do not need to exclude /Volumes/MobileBackups from backups.

Seriously guys, you need to file bugs. Include the archive produced by tmdiagnose.

Is there a way to file a bug report that would allow me to actually include that archive? I generated it, found the OSX bug report form, but can't find a way to actually include the archive.

Also, do you have a source on the "does not sync local snapshots" claim? Judging by the config data given by tmdiagnose, that volume is NOT excluded, which means that it potentially could be syncing them.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 6, 2011

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Is there a way to file a bug report that would allow me to actually include that archive?

bugreport.apple.com

You might need a free Apple developer account, or just use your iTunes account, it should work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

chimz posted:

bugreport.apple.com

You might need a free Apple developer account, or just use your iTunes account, it should work.

Logged in, registered a free account, got this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Krakkles posted:

Logged in, registered a free account, got this:

Irony.

Gotta love it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
File a bug report.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Petey posted:

You know I wasn't really having too many issues at the beginning. But it looks like Lion doesn't play nicely with non-upgraded and non-Migrated accounts.

This is a mess.

Man, I'm glad to say I don't have any of your problems despite doing a clean install and hand-migrating my data. In fact, with a few exceptions (that I can live with) I'm finding Lion quite usable.

The exceptions:
1) poo poo gets stuck in the "Favorites" section of the Finder sidebar. By which I mean, I try to drag it off to get rid of it and it just swoops right back. Sometimes right click - "Remove from Sidebar" works, and sometimes right clicking doesn't even bring up a contextual menu at all (???). Fortunately, someone posted a workaround online: hold command-option while dragging the item off will remove it for sure.

2) While we're on the subject of the Finder sidebar, I prefer to have my drives listed first. This used to be the way it was done, but in Lion, Apple moved the Devices section to the bottom. The sections should be re-orderable. This is a minor issue though.

3) Spotlight is loving stupid, and no longer pulls up apps in order of "most recently used." This means if I command-space and type "utility", I get "Microsoft Database Utility" on top (which I have never even opened!) rather than "Disk Utility" (which I open a lot). If I type "disk", I get "Disk Inventory X" despite not having used that in months.

4) Full disk encryption doesn't work on software RAIDs. That's not really a huge surprise to me, but Lion is too goddamn stupid to check before attempting to turn on encryption on a software RAID, so I had to spend some time figuring out why it kept starting to encrypt my Time Machine backups and then failing with a nondescript error message.

5) There seems to be no way to lock an encrypted internal drive once you've unlocked it short of rebooting the machine. They can be unmounted, but they can be mounted again without having to re-enter the password so long as the machine isn't rebooted in the mean time. What the gently caress?

6) Quicktime seems to keep ahold of files even after you've closed them. If I'm in my room watching a tv show that's on my media center Mini over the network, I can close the window when it's done and any attempt to unmount the share from the Mini will eventually give me an error saying some app is still using files on that share. Quit Quicktime altogether and the problem goes away.

7) As someone noted, CS5 runs fine without crashing, but is sometimes inexplicably slow. I tried to open ten images at once in Photoshop earlier today and it took about a minute (shouldn't take more than ten or fifteen seconds). Fortunately that's not something I do too often.

Edit: 8) Not exactly a bug, just a stupid interface quibble. I opened a multipage PDF and noticed that Preview has been changed to show page thumbnails on the left rather than the right side. I actually preferred it on the right (putting the full-size content in the dominant position, at least for those of us who read left to right) but whatever, I can get used to the change, and every other sidebar is on the left so it does make sense at least. Then a few seconds later I Quicklooked the same PDF - the new Quicklook shows page thumbnails now too (yay) but on the right. Consistency? Who needs it?

Is anyone else having issue #3, or is it just me? Anyone know a fix? And if anyone knows a workaround for #5, that'd be nice to know too.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 6, 2011

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
How can I script 'Show Desktop' in Mac OS 10.7?

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

How can I script 'Show Desktop' in Mac OS 10.7?

"/Applications/Mission Control.app/contents/MacOS/Mission Control" 1

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Choadmaster posted:

Man, I'm glad to say I don't have any of your problems despite doing a clean install and hand-migrating my data. In fact, with a few exceptions (that I can live with) I'm finding Lion quite usable.

The exceptions:
1) poo poo gets stuck in the "Favorites" section of the Finder sidebar. By which I mean, I try to drag it off to get rid of it and it just swoops right back. Sometimes right click - "Remove from Sidebar" works, and sometimes right clicking doesn't even bring up a contextual menu at all (???). Fortunately, someone posted a workaround online: hold command-option while dragging the item off will remove it for sure.

Command-Drag will remove stuff. This behavior was changed at some point back in Snow Leopard.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So I found a potential bug in Lion:

I have my display set to go to sleep in one minute (I'm weird like that). It completely ignores that. I have nothing running that would hold up the sleep process.

Back to Snow Leopard today, until this stuff is sorted out in a patch.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SERIOUS posted:

So I found a potential bug in Lion:

I have my display set to go to sleep in one minute (I'm weird like that). It completely ignores that. I have nothing running that would hold up the sleep process.

Back to Snow Leopard today, until this stuff is sorted out in a patch.
You have something running that would hold up the process.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You have something running that would hold up the process.

But nothing's running at all....

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SERIOUS posted:

But nothing's running at all....

If you go into Activity Monitor and change it from My Processes to All Processes, is there anything lurking there? Have you tried changing it to 5 minutes and seeing if that works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
After about a day or two of using Safari, not restarting the Mac, with around 3 to 8 tabs, is it normal for it to use huge amounts of memory?

Activity monitor says "Safari Web Content" is holding 800mb of memory, and Safari itself 500mb. I have 4gb of ram so it's not a big deal but it does slow down sometimes when browsing.