Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

At one point we the Dems had all the power, the Executive and both Houses and did nothing that people want.

Doesn't help that when you do try to do things the people want, people like Joe Lieberman gently caress it all up. Also blue dog democrats. It just boggles my mind when people say "they had both houses and the presidency" when in reality they only had control up to the point where the good ones wanted to do anything big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empiricus
Apr 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Thank God for Eliot Spitzer for defending reality from the two shitbags on the panel aligned with idiocy.

Agreed. The way the woman was interacting with him was particularly blood-boiling. Especially when he said something about one of her points and her response was "You're just being patronizing to the only woman on the panel."

Funny show overall, though. Cranston delivered as always.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

Doesn't help that when you do try to do things the people want, people like Joe Lieberman gently caress it all up. Also blue dog democrats. It just boggles my mind when people say "they had both houses and the presidency" when in reality they only had control up to the point where the good ones wanted to do anything big.

I can't tell if I boggle your mind or you agree :)

Please point out the good one. I don't see any (there are a few but even they don't speak loud enough - or can't)

I don't know the exact phrase the Tea Party guy used at the beginning but he said something to the effect that his group was the group that spoke up and used democracy and that is bullshit. Each of them only had one vote. They did however get a lot of press and media time.

They are the minority, they are even the minority in the Rebublican party. Somehow though, they get heard.

I am driven nuts by the fact that we have issues that we have science to support us but people will not stand up for change that is KILLING us.

The health care system, the big farm system, the meat production system, global warming, transportation and fuel are all documented in documentaries, in newspapers, magazines, television, and the internet have information on these issues.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I can't imagine how they somehow manage to constantly get their message out with an influence outsized relevant to their actual size. Why, that would almost take the neverending funding of a pair of massive billionaire whack jobs.

Although in that particular point, he was right. Government belongs to those who show up. In 2008, it was overwhelmingly democrats and hopetards. In 2010, it was overwhelmingly mouth-breathing gently caress-you-got-miners. The democrats and the hopetards didn't show up in 2010 because the President and the Congress that campaigned for years under the moniker of actual change turned out to be the exact same people they were in the previous 6 of 7 administrations.

No, sadly, Bill is right. The American people are getting exactly what they deserve.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 30, 2011

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Why is it that only the most annoying Republican women will agree to be on this show?

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

frenton posted:

Why is it that only the most annoying Republican women will agree to be on this show?

They have books to sell? Shameless self promoting attention whores? Bill Maher likes to secretly hatefuck them after the show?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

JerkyBunion posted:

I can't imagine how they somehow manage to constantly get their message out with an influence outsized relevant to their actual size. Why, that would almost take the neverending funding of a pair of massive billionaire whack jobs.

Although in that particular point, he was right. Government belongs to those who show up. In 2008, it was overwhelmingly democrats and hopetards. In 2010, it was overwhelmingly mouth-breathing gently caress-you-got-miners. The democrats and the hopetards didn't show up in 2010 because the President and the Congress that campaigned for years under the moniker of actual change turned out to be the exact same people they were in the previous 6 of 7 administrations.

No, sadly, Bill is right. The American people are getting exactly what they deserve.

There was a link I read from Andrew Sullivan that said it only takes 10% of a population to believe something to get the other 90% to adopt it/take it seriously. That is the only reason I can think of why someone would no think the tea party is full of crap.

http://scienceblog.com/46622/minority-rules-scientists-discover-tipping-point-for-the-spread-of-ideas/

quote:

Scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have found that when just 10 percent of the population holds an unshakable belief, their belief will always be adopted by the majority of the society.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This was one of the most painful panels, especially coming off of Leather Libertarian last week. Both the Tea Party guy and the lady were utterly insufferable blowhards.

I would have preferred the whistleblower guy just to swoop in from the rafters mid-panel and generally just slam them on anything economic or finance related that they kept going on about.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

ParagonParadox27 posted:

Thank God for Eliot Spitzer for defending reality from the two shitbags on the panel aligned with idiocy.

He was GREAT tonight. The worst part was when he was trying to explain to the blonde lady that she was wrong and she just kept repeating "OBAMA DOUBLED THE DEFICIT IT'S A FACT :downs:" and he handled himself like a pro.

It's a shame he can never run for office again because he liked hookers. :(

EDIT: Also, my biggest gripe is when tea partiers say "We were against Bush's spending too!" and I'm glad Bill called them out on that bullshit line.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 30, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

SERIOUS posted:

He was GREAT tonight. The worst part was when he was trying to explain to the blonde lady that she was wrong and she just kept repeating "OBAMA DOUBLED THE DEFICIT IT'S A FACT :downs:" and he handled himself like a pro.

It's a shame he can never run for office again because he liked hookers. :(

EDIT: Also, my biggest gripe is when tea partiers say "We were against Bush's spending too!" and I'm glad Bill called them out on that bullshit line.

My biggest gripe is that they claim to be all about deficit hawks yet most of the state level legislation is about god gays and guns.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh, and the blonde lady's comments that atheism killed more people in the 20th century is beyond ridiculous, but I'm used to stupid arguments about atheism so that rolled off my back.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

SERIOUS posted:

Oh, and the blonde lady's comments that atheism killed more people in the 20th century is beyond ridiculous, but I'm used to stupid arguments about atheism so that rolled off my back.

Felt like I was in a GBS thread and some moron was bringing up that false point which they always do. Sucked that Bill didn't get to explain how in those cases it wasn't the atheism that killed anyone.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
Yeah, I was going to say it reminded me of some atheist troll threads back on 4chan. I don't know if everyone watched overtime, but right off the bat Spitzer totally shut the woman down and called her and the other guy out on being full of poo poo.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Also, gently caress that interview with the whistleblower guy. He comes off as someone who cares much more about his own fame than actual work.

The only reason Bernie Madoff is in jail and the rest of the Goldmen Saks brigade isn't is because Madoff hosed rich people instead of poor people. He got his, sure, but let's not pretend the rest of them are any different.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Early in the episode, the hot conservative lady put her hand on Spitzer's arm while making a point. At that moment, I actually said out loud "that's a liberal/conservative hate gently caress waiting to happen". I like that my mind works in much the same way as Bryan Cranston's.

Also, I wanted to jump into the studio when they all said "yeah, Breivik is crazy". No. He's not.

This guy went through nine years of meticulous planning. Acquired certain chemicals he required for his bomb from Poland. Started up a farming business so he'd be able to order large amounts of fertilizer without it looking suspicious.

He then proceeded to rent two cars. One van for the bomb, and another one to drive him to the boat he had ready. When he got to the island, dressed as a police officer so as to appear intrinsically trustworthy, he made sure to gather as much people around him as possible before he started shooting them. And he made sure to put a bullet in the head of everyone he shot. You know, just to make sure.

Oh, and while he was planning this thing, he wrote/cut&pasted a 1500 page manifesto together.

I'm sorry, but that kind of planning and clear, long term thinking doesn't fit my definition of crazy. Sociopath, yes. The worst example of what mankind has to offer. Sure.

But he's not nuts, and by dismissing him as a mad man, we risk ignoring factors that contributed to his decision to carry out these attacks.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I really did not find the panel that bad but they accomplished nothing. None of them were really offensive and none of them actually said anything with any meaning.

Richard, all that stuff you listed makes him crazy. Crazy people can be organized and plan things but that doesn't mean they are not crazy assholes. Believing in magic and then killing people over said belief is crazy.

Bill's point about it being religion based was lost in the dull and meaningless panel discussion.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That episode was a good turn from last week. It was enjoyable and energetic. Next week should be good too if only for Neil De Grasse Tyson. I was thinking too it's a real shame that someone like Spitzer had to be ousted from politics for his personal mistakes. More Brian Cranston too, please.

hahaha, go watch Overtime and listen to the teapartier talk about how great America is, the land of freedom and opportunity compared to some European nations.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 30, 2011

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

pkd88 posted:

I really did not find the panel that bad but they accomplished nothing. None of them were really offensive and none of them actually said anything with any meaning.

This is pretty much Real Time with Bill Maher every week. I find it interesting when it is all left leaning panelists because they don't get bogged down in stupid arguments where someone is just flat out lying, they all start shouting over each other, and nothing gets resolved.

And someone should have told the Freedom Works guy that hordes of right wing assholes weren't protesting in Washington when Bush was president, holding signs of Bush as an african witch doctor and all of the other stupid poo poo the tea party is known for. It was after Obama was in office that all of this bullshit rage started coming out, and no one who was supposedly an economic conservative called these assholes out on it. So when the conservative lady kept saying "no no no no no..." when Bill made the "Blacky McBlackman" comment, she should have been shut up just on that.

If they truly aren't with the batshit crazies and racists, then no one in the tea party is responsibly telling them to gently caress off. The 'god, guns, and gays' crowd is how I see most teapartiers, whether right or wrong.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

pkd88 posted:

Richard, all that stuff you listed makes him crazy. Crazy people can be organized and plan things but that doesn't mean they are not crazy assholes. Believing in magic and then killing people over said belief is crazy.

Bill's point about it being religion based was lost in the dull and meaningless panel discussion.

Well, I disagree. My definition of crazy is someone who has lost their grip on reality. As warped as this guy's ideas may have been, they were the product of a rational, if extremely misguided mind.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Agreed that Hoover made my blood boil. Hearing her shout about having facts, like the debt doubling under Obama, even as Spitzer tries to explain causation to her makes me seriously concerned about the logic and critical thinking of the political elite.

As someone who works in a psychiatric hospital chiming in about Breivik, the word crazy is pretty meaningless. Around some of the units people use the word crazy for anyone who has mental issues or a reason to be in in-patient treatment, even people with really bad depression or whatever. So using that criterion for crazy, I would say that yes, he's quite crazy. As in, assuming he's not a rare horror movie antisocial psychopath, he would benefit immensely from psychiatric treatment. Homicidal ideation (and behavior) and the type of obsessive thinking that makes one write a manifesto are generally considered abnormal in psychology.

It's unclear whether he has any actual psychotic symptoms though, which is what a lot of people mean when they say crazy. No maniacal, irrational behavior, no evidence of experiencing hallucinations. He doesn't even seem to be delusional; he has what most of society would consider extreme views but they are all based in reality. My point is that one does not need to be psychotic for their psychological profile to be considered abnormal.

Moreover, the point is that trying to quantify brain chemistry as a binary status of crazy or not is a bit worrying. Even a sliding scale of crazy wouldn't do, it describes a massively wide array of mental characteristics going in all different directions. So I agree that we should not dismiss him as a mad man, but we should certainly call into question his mental facilities and consider that he may exhibit some "crazy" types of thinking and question what those are.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Welp, another episode of right-wing nuts shouting over everyone to drown out any rebuttal. It's easier for them to act like children than come up with a rational position.

I don't necessarily want Real Time to become a liberal echo chamber, but the conservatives guests always seem to be loudmouth shitheads that ruin the show, so...

SERIOUS posted:

The worst part was when he was trying to explain to the blonde lady that she was wrong and she just kept repeating "OBAMA DOUBLED THE DEFICIT IT'S A FACT :downs:"

It's hard for me to tell when conservatives are misinformed or just plain lying but the end result is the same. She shouted a dozen times that "Obama doubled the national debt from 7 trillion to 14 trillion," while two minutes of research proves that wrong. The source of that talking point is Republican Senator Judd Gregg's 2009 anti-Obama crusade. Gregg is currently an adviser to Goldman Sachs by the way. Only if Obama's 2010 budget were re-implemented every year for ten more years, including the high unemployment, welfare, and stimulus spending, would it double the national debt.

Let's not forget that the fiscal year begins in October the year before, meaning the republicans are blaming Obama for three months of Bush's policies before he took office in January 09. The publicly held debt (money owed to institutions outside the government) was $3.3 trillion when Bush took office in 2001 and was more than $6.3 trillion when he left. Bush is the one that nearly doubled the debt and of course no republican said a word against it. We had tax cuts and brown people to fight after all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I didn't like the last two episodes too much but that one from a few months ago with Kevin Nealon was a masterful performance. I've probably seen him in a dozen films/100s of SNL sketches and that may have been the pinnacle of his career right there.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Maybe it was Maher being really pissed at Obama, or Neil deGrasse Tyson and Anthony Bourdain; but I thought this was a pretty good episode and season finale.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
So did Bill have to catch a plane before he did Overtime or something? The live feed didn't start (for me anyway) until they had already started, maybe they explained why Seth Macfarlane was hosting it during that time.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Having a scientist on is always a good thing. Tyson is personable as well.

I wish we would have more true experts on, stuff like people who know about the European health care system and things like that.

I do think the shine is beginning to come off of Obama. True opposition to him should be from the left.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Radio Nowhere posted:

Maybe it was Maher being really pissed at Obama, or Neil deGrasse Tyson and Anthony Bourdain; but I thought this was a pretty good episode and season finale.

drat, season finale already? But the US Credit rating just got downgraded! I was kinda hoping he'd be around to have panels discussing that.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I have to get up in a few hours to drive 6 hours so I just thought I'd stop in to say:

:swoon: Neil deGrasse Tyson :allears: (not gay) a little gay

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

This was certainly a better episode than the last two. Despite being a Palin-loving teapartier Stephen Bannon was reasonable and not shouting over everyone. Those are the kinds of conservatives the show needs, if they manage to locate any more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am totally gay for Neil Degrasse Tyson and I loved him immediately answering the gay math problem.

Also gay for Bourdain. Good way to go out on the season. I do appreciate when they have a teabagger like that guy on, still ignorant but someone you can actually have a conversation with, instead of the usual screaming douchebag.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The Tea Party idiot was dodging Maher's basic questions about Republican ideology. I did laugh at the internet comment segment though.

Somewhat off-topic, but has Krugman ever been on the panel?

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005
Final New Rule was extremely good last night. Gay Math is something I can get behind! :patriot:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Definitely a solid end to the season, here's hoping for a better slate of guests in September. I didn't notice any particularly new names in the mini guest scroll right at the end, though if he makes the panel I suppose it'll be interesting to see Moore generally flip out as he was Super Hopeful on Obama for a good while---either that or he'll have some sort of new project coming out for election year.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
drat, Maher's opening monologue was VENOMOUS last night. He just looked aggravated and tired of it all. This is the Bill Maher I like: the pissed off one.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

err posted:

The Tea Party idiot was dodging Maher's basic questions about Republican ideology. I did laugh at the internet comment segment though.

Somewhat off-topic, but has Krugman ever been on the panel?

Yes and the first time he was so shy/pissed off that he didn't say much. He has been on since and been better.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

SERIOUS posted:

drat, Maher's opening monologue was VENOMOUS last night. He just looked aggravated and tired of it all. This is the Bill Maher I like: the pissed off one.

Funny, many people also enjoy a pissed off John Stewart (I am one of them).

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Show starts up again tomorrow night with Keith Olbermann, Rich Galen, Jennifer Donahue, and Dexter Filkins. O yea and some comedian guy named Louis C.K.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Kind of a dull episode.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Best quote from this episode, Bill Maher on Rick Perry: "He is the George Bush robot from the Disney Hall of lovely Presidents"

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

The episode that just had Michael Moore and Tom Morello on was a cavalcade of crap. Jane Harman displayed a great reminder of how terrible she was in office. The guy who used to work for Giuliani said you can't blame America at all for what happened to 9/11 and was not interested in having an adult conversation about it. Michael Moore as much as I love him made a bunch of strawmen arguments because the other two panelists had nothing of substance to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Yea this panel sucked. I thought I remembered like Jane Harman but I couldn't stand her this time. She's exactly the type of Democrat that's killing the party.