Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ahaha, I bought my first MX-5 last week. It has 4 different goddamn tyres on it, so I'm gingerly tip-toeing my way around wet roundabouts today. :ughh:

Yes I know this is both retarded and retardedly dangerous, they're all being replaced ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're so loving wrong; it's the 99 dollar horn button destructo sent me last night

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Yes I know this is both retarded and retardedly dangerous, they're all being replaced ASAP.

What's truly frightening is thinking about how many cars on the road are similarly equipped. Most people don't give a poo poo about tires, even though they're one of the most (if not THE most) important parts on a car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Haha, there's a guy in the local autox club that got a 964 for a steal (read: flood title) and he brought it out last summer and couldn't keep it straight. I looked at the tires and there were 3 different types. Two different makes on the rear. :frogsiren:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
My tires would be the laughing stock of AI. :(

What should I get for 13x8 wheels on a car that is exclusively used for hard parking and dodging potholes on the way to work? Seriously no one makes a tire this size.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 4, 2011

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Similarly, I'm not having much luck finding anything halfway decent in 185 x 60 R14. Are Yokohama Advan A460's any good?

Alternatively, can somebody name some more common tyres that will fit a 14 x 7" wheel? I can't afford the upgrade to 15's at the moment and want a matching set of tyres. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Grayham posted:

I'd like to improve the feel of my brakes. I had Hawk HPS pads on my last Miata and I didn't find that they made the brakes feel any better until they were really warm.

Would changing the flexible portions of my brake lines to stainless steel improve the feel?

I was looking at these or these.

They should help if your old lines are bulgy. Personally, I'd get some that are covered with a plastic sleeve to keep dirt from getting in the weave and abrading the teflon inner line. Don't have a source for them, but I'm sure somebody makes them. Probably Corksport.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

jammyozzy posted:

Similarly, I'm not having much luck finding anything halfway decent in 185 x 60 R14. Are Yokohama Advan A460's any good?

Alternatively, can somebody name some more common tyres that will fit a 14 x 7" wheel? I can't afford the upgrade to 15's at the moment and want a matching set of tyres. :(

Dunlop makes Star Specs in 195/60R14

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Grayham posted:

I'd like to improve the feel of my brakes. I had Hawk HPS pads on my last Miata and I didn't find that they made the brakes feel any better until they were really warm.

Would changing the flexible portions of my brake lines to stainless steel improve the feel?

I was looking at these or these.

S.S. lines should definitely help. First things first, are you 1.6 or 1.8? If you have 90-93 get those brakes off as fast as possible and put some 1.8 ones on.

If you're having problems with 1.8 brakes the lines should help but also look at Carbotech pads on 949racing. They stop like a mother, but eat rotors so you may be picking up the cheap $30 ones from NAPA.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Mr.AARP posted:

S.S. lines should definitely help. First things first, are you 1.6 or 1.8? If you have 90-93 get those brakes off as fast as possible and put some 1.8 ones on.
I'm sure he's nowhere near outbraking that setup as is. New pads first.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

Mr.AARP posted:

If you're having problems with 1.8 brakes the lines should help but also look at Carbotech pads on 949racing. They stop like a mother, but eat rotors so you may be picking up the cheap $30 ones from NAPA.

'95. Do these brake pads squeal a lot?

Grayham fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 5, 2011

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The 949 lines seem to be the same exact ones as http://www.miatamania.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=80666. http://949racing.com/miata-brake-lines.aspx are the same ones from 949. Whatever you get make sure it has some kind of plastic cover over the steel, the steel should not be the outer layer in a proper set of lines.

Any performance brake pad is going to be more noisy and dusty than a regular street pad. Keep in mind if you can always lock your wheels/engage the ABS you're not really adding any performance since you are limited by your tires, not your breaks.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

FatCow posted:

limited by your tires, not your breaks.
Breaks can definitely be a limiting factor :eng99:

I figure this would be a good place to ask as any since we're kind of on the subject. Are there any downsides at all to a proper nice set of stainless braided lines (besides the price)?

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

Grayham posted:

'95. Do these brake pads squeal a lot?

You're in good shape then. I would just replace the lines, get a good brake fluid and bleed the lines properly, and choose which Carbotech pad suits your needs.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm going to take a look at this car tomorrow, maybe saturday. http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2527569826.html

I just wanted to see what you guys think about it. I haven't driven a 1.8 miata yet but I had driven and autocrossed my friend's 1.6 several times. Is there any reason to get a 1.6 vs a 1.8? They all seem to be around the same price but there are a lot more 1.6's for sale at the moment.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can turbo a 1.6 cheaply and easily.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
That's not what I'm going for. This is going to be my daily driver that I will also use for autocross sometimes in Street Tire or E stock when I can get slicks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I dd my 1.6 turbo, took me maybe 6 hr worth of work to get it going. Now it's not horribly slow, just slow.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I'm just wanting it to be stock aside from the $4,000 dampers that are allowed in stock class. I've got my 89 Impulse project to turn into my "fast" car.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

If it's stock it doesn't really matter. The 1.8 just has a significantly bigger/cheaper aftermarket. 1.8 cars have a bit more power but weigh like 120 lbs more.

Also the early 1.6's can have crank failure, which is sort of overblown, wont see it on most cars, but if it's 92/93 you're 'safe' from that.

Stock 1.6 wheels are pretty loving goofy though.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Piano posted:

If it's stock it doesn't really matter. The 1.8 just has a significantly bigger/cheaper aftermarket. 1.8 cars have a bit more power but weigh like 120 lbs more.

Also the early 1.6's can have crank failure, which is sort of overblown, wont see it on most cars, but if it's 92/93 you're 'safe' from that.

Stock 1.6 wheels are pretty loving goofy though.

I don't think they're that much heavier. I thought they were more like 60lbs heavier. I probably wont notice it coming from a 2.2L Impreza wagon.

You talking about the daisy wheels?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

n8r posted:

You can turbo a 1.6 cheaply and easily.
Not any easier than a 1.8.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NinjaTech posted:

I'm going to take a look at this car tomorrow, maybe saturday. http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2527569826.html

I just wanted to see what you guys think about it. I haven't driven a 1.8 miata yet but I had driven and autocrossed my friend's 1.6 several times. Is there any reason to get a 1.6 vs a 1.8? They all seem to be around the same price but there are a lot more 1.6's for sale at the moment.

Looks clean. Get it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there a good way to remove a balljoint without buying AutoZone's $100 balljoint press tool? Tried a hammer, that didn't work. Open to ideas here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
HF's 60 dollar ball joint tool

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Phone posted:

Looks clean. Get it.

It just sold. :( there are two others down in the Portland area I'm going to call about though.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Having a pretty hard time finding a HT right now, checking ebay/craigslist/searchtempest/CR/mnet/local ricer forums/etc every day. Except for the one guy who has been putting his on craigslist for $1999 every week for the last year and a half. He will also accept trades for ATVs and guns but I'm pretty low on both of those.

Depending on how long it takes to find one, I may end up having enough spare money for a fastback (but not enough to paint it).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phone posted:

HF's 60 dollar ball joint tool

For reference, even if the dickweed at autozone says it's the right tool, their press is NOT the right tool. Looks like a small puller (a la pittman arm) should work.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I'm going to call about this 1.6 model tomorrow. It looks really nice, has a hard top, extra wheels and a header. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2530301256.html

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Piano posted:

Depending on how long it takes to find one, I may end up having enough spare money for a fastback (but not enough to paint it).
Get the Warhorse one, that'll be loving awesome. Skip on the Autokonexion.

NinjaTech posted:

I'm going to call about this 1.6 model tomorrow. It looks really nice, has a hard top, extra wheels and a header. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2530301256.html
Probably gone already.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Yeah it probably is but maybe I'll catch a break and it's still for sale.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

That's a great deal with the hard top especially.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
The guy still has it so I'm going to go look at it in a few hours. If it's as nice as it seems in the pictures I'm definitely buying it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

NinjaTech posted:

The guy still has it so I'm going to go look at it in a few hours. If it's as nice as it seems in the pictures I'm definitely buying it.

Replace the radiator. It needs it.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Well I drove 1.5hrs to look at the car and a half mile from his house he called me and said he sold it. Even though he knew I was on the way and driving a good distance. I was pissed to say the least. I then called another guy with a 94 in Beaverton while I was down there. I test drove that car and wasn't too impressed with the 1.8. It handled fine but didn't seem to have much more power than the 1.6. So for now I'm just going to have to test drive more of both.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

NinjaTech posted:

Well I drove 1.5hrs to look at the car and a half mile from his house he called me and said he sold it. Even though he knew I was on the way and driving a good distance. I was pissed to say the least. I then called another guy with a 94 in Beaverton while I was down there. I test drove that car and wasn't too impressed with the 1.8. It handled fine but didn't seem to have much more power than the 1.6. So for now I'm just going to have to test drive more of both.

That sucks. I remember looking at Miatas I drove an hour and a half to look at one on craigslist that looked nothing like the pictures. The paint was faded, the seats were worn to hell, it looked awful and he wouldn't come down on the price a bit.

We stopped and looked at a few more that night on the way home, and I actually came home with my current car now.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

It sucks, but that's the way it goes. I bought mine out from under someone who was 2 hours into a 4 hour drive to look at it. It was just bad luck for him that I got there first. Just kinda the way it goes when you've got cash in hand.

I learned my lesson after not getting a chance to take a look at two that I'd called about and was just leaving the house for one and was half way to the other when they called and said it was sold.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, in the seller's shoes I've had way, WAY too many people swear up and down they're coming to see the car today / getting in the car now / will see me in x hours, only to completely flake and never respond to another email / text / phone call again. First person to me with the right amount of cash in hand gets the keys and the title. In some cases that does mean at least one person gets pissed off...hell, in one case there were enough people banging down my virtual door (list a Volvo for $200 on CL sometime) that as I was handing the title to the new owner, I got an email stating that the ad had been flagged down.

Strangely enough I also had one person do that to me when they were trying to sell a vehicle. :wtf:

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

NinjaTech posted:

As far as I know, a 1.6 in a '90-'93 is going to be just about as fast as a 1.8 in a '94-'97 just because of the added weight of the car due to more stringent crash test requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

IOwnCalculus posted:

(list a Volvo for $200 on CL sometime)

This reminds me, one of the worst pranks we ever played on our former boss was putting an ad in the paper (pre-Craigslist) that said: "1988 Cadillac Brougham. Runs good. Smokes a little. $200."

It was the worst prank because we just wanted to hassle him a little. He got so many freaking phone calls (some in the middle of the night) that he had to change his number.