Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Duper posted:

If you're in the market for a Macbook, I highhhhhly suggest you get one of those 20% off laptops coupons for Amazon.
Elaborate, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Aren't the first-gen mac minis 32 bit? Doesn't lion require 64 bit procs?

Si. I was just wondering if I need to worry about buying a machine, for my outlined uses, that already cannot run the latest MacOS. I know everything should work fine now, but will it last a few years as well?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cockwhore posted:

Elaborate, please.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3178897

Only way to get it in time is to pick up a kindle from a store (or buy a code off of ebay/a friend who won't use the code)

There is a 1+ month shipping delay on the airs from Amazon due to how many people are taking advantage of the deal.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Lion will only run on Core 2 Duo and Core i-series processors.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Don't buy a G5 unless you specifically need to run software that will only run on a PPC based mac. They are slow, extra noisy, give off a poo poo load of heat, and suck down electricity like crazy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

wolffenstein posted:

Lion will only run on Core 2 Duo and Core i-series processors.
Actually you can get Lion to run on Core Solo/Core Duo systems...

Duper
Nov 20, 2008

by T. Mascis

Shmoogy posted:

Only way to get it in time is to pick up a kindle from a store (or buy a code off of ebay/a friend who won't use the code)

There is a 1+ month shipping delay on the airs from Amazon due to how many people are taking advantage of the deal.

Actually, the delay was there before the deal popped up (I know this because I ordered the 13" for $1235 just before the deal came up).

I recommend buying the Kindle SO asap (Monday at 11:59M is the last chance to redeem your code), since I'm sure these codes will be going for $100+ on ebay very soon...

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Everyone is saying that they're good until September 8th on ebay?

edit: Ah, it needs to be claimed by the 8th of August, alrighty. Guess I'll grab one off ebay for $40 and use it.

Vivix
Oct 1, 2006
Henshin a go-go, baby!
Any suggestions for a sub-$50 13" Macbook Air sleeve? Preferably available on Best Buy, since I have some gift cards to waste.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SourKraut posted:

I thought that was only done in one of the beta releases that still had all the 32 bit binaries in the install?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

On Unicornback posted:

Si. I was just wondering if I need to worry about buying a machine, for my outlined uses, that already cannot run the latest MacOS. I know everything should work fine now, but will it last a few years as well?
If the timeframe is "a few years" I'd go with a C2D one just so you can at least get to Lion for the foreseeable future, particularly if your other machines are or will be running it. Basically it tends to be easier if they're all running the same thing. I think the older C2Ds (Intel graphics) were 1.83 and 2.0ghz, and later models (with Nvidia graphics) came in 2.0 and up. The older ones had FW400, fast Ethernet, and PATA optical iirc, while starting with the later ones they had FW800, gigabit, and SATA optical (if you want to swap that drive). Also B/G vs N wireless I believe, if you plan to go wireless at all.

One thing I'm curious about :

quote:

I've found some older dual 2ghz G5 towers that would be perfect form factor.
What about them is the perfect form factor, particularly for your use case? They're literally like 20x the size of the Mac mini and can only hold 2 3.5" drives (I guess 3 if you replace the optical). That's ignoring the other factors mentioned, that it sucks much more power and is slower, and can only run up to 10.5. Depending on the condition it could be noisy too.

SourKraut posted:

They took out nearly all the 32-bitness so I imagine it'd be a massive pain in the rear end at this point...now if you were talking about upgrading the CPU on it, then yeah that works. It's a big enough pain in the rear end that I'd suggest just paying a bit more for a C2D model.

japtor fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 7, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vivix posted:

Any suggestions for a sub-$50 13" Macbook Air sleeve? Preferably available on Best Buy, since I have some gift cards to waste.

I bought the nylon Incase

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...cbook&cp=1&lp=6

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

japtor posted:

One thing I'm curious about :

What about them is the perfect form factor, particularly for your use case? They're literally like 20x the size of the Mac mini and can only hold 2 3.5" drives (I guess 3 if you replace the optical). That's ignoring the other factors mentioned, that it sucks much more power and is slower, and can only run up to 10.5. Depending on the condition it could be noisy too.

Welp, egg on my face. I just assumed they could handle 4x3.5" discs. Nullifies that answer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

japtor posted:

They took out nearly all the 32-bitness so I imagine it'd be a massive pain in the rear end at this point...now if you were talking about upgrading the CPU on it, then yeah that works. It's a big enough pain in the rear end that I'd suggest just paying a bit more for a C2D model.
From what I've seen/read, they didn't take out any "32-bitness" in so much as Apple artificially locked out Lion from installing purely via a software check of system. There's apparently an installation method for installing to an external drive, deleting PlatformSupport.plist, and such.

Edit - Hmm, yeah, there may be limitations on this actually...

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 7, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

On Unicornback posted:

Welp, egg on my face. I just assumed they could handle 4x3.5" discs. Nullifies that answer.

They don't have the drive bays like the Intel Mac Pros do. But there are after market solutions like this:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/g5_jive.html

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

On Unicornback posted:

Mac Pros have four SATA bays, G5s only have two. They look nearly the same on the outside but are quite different on the inside.

Try going to everymac.com to check things out before posting stuff that any seasoned Mac goon can and will nail you on.

Gunjin posted:

Don't buy a G5 unless you specifically need to run software that will only run on a PPC based mac. They are slow, extra noisy, give off a poo poo load of heat, and suck down electricity like crazy.

And don't forget the liquid cooled G5s whose coolant seals are all past their expiration date, some are leaking green fluid..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Binary Badger posted:

And don't forget the liquid cooled G5s whose coolant seals are all past their expiration date, some are leaking green fluid..
I always knew the G5s came liquid cooled depending on the CPU but I never actually understood how they have the HSF setup.

Such a neat little setup.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I just realized I might be wrong on the fast/gigabit thing I wrote earlier. That might've been between PPC and Intel, so double check that if it's a deal breaker. (I would but I'm posting from the iPhone app :shobon:)

SourKraut posted:

From what I've seen/read, they didn't take out any "32-bitness" in so much as Apple artificially locked out Lion from installing purely via a software check of system. There's apparently an installation method for installing to an external drive, deleting PlatformSupport.plist, and such.

Edit - Hmm, yeah, there may be limitations on this actually...
Yeah the plist is just a whitelist (and easily removed/renamed/edited), but afaik they stripped out most/all the 32-bit binaries, which is why you still need a C2D to run it. 32-bit libraries and whatnot will still be around for non 64-bit apps.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Okay. This is a weird one, and it's an old one.

When I was a kid I had a Centris 610, old school Macintosh. When it died, it played a Funeral Dirge before shutting itself back off for good. Like the drat thing was toast. Time for a new computer. Scariest thing that ever happened to me as a kid.

I remember hearing that it was a 'feature' of the Centris line, similar to the Quadra line which would play the Twilight Zone theme when it died.

But I can't find a copy of it happening to anyone else, whether written or recorded. I remember it happening when I was a kid, and I remember reading about it elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can get some actual documentation on this?

I think this is the right thread for this? I mean it's not really technical support, it's more like.. Mac Trivia at this point.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 7, 2011

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Here I was smug about the 15% off I got on my MBA through the F&F discount and now I see I missed out on saving 20%. And to add to the insult, I should have saved the money and bought the ad version of the Kindle instead.

Just sold my revb whitebook from 2006 to a dude on craigslist. Specs:

C2D 1.83
320 gb HD
4 gigs of Ram (Only 3.25 are usable)
New battery/top case

I put it up for $400. Mac2sell had it for $350, so I thought I did pretty well although the overwhelming response on CL makes me think I could have gotten more for it. Kind of sad to see it go. I originally bought it in 2006 as a reva macbook. It was my first mac since an old mac SE we had growing up. It was kind of a mess for the first year and ended up getting replaced with a revb but i've essentially had the same computer since 2006.

I've found that Craigslist's prices are always significantly different from Mac2sell. I know goons use Mac2sell a lot on SA Mart, but I've found them to be really inaccurate. That being said I wouldn't say $400 is bad for your laptop.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
^^^ G5s only have 2x 3.5" drive bays, but they can fit 4x 3.5" disks in the CPU bay without issue.
Of course, you'd need a SATA/RAID card with OS X drivers to connect them all.

Rei_ posted:

Okay. This is a weird one, and it's an old one.

When I was a kid I had a Centris 610, old school Macintosh. When it died, it played a Funeral Dirge before shutting itself back off for good. Like the drat thing was toast. Time for a new computer. Scariest thing that ever happened to me as a kid.

I remember hearing that it was a 'feature' of the Centris line, similar to the Quadra line which would play the Twilight Zone theme when it died.

But I can't find a copy of it happening to anyone else, whether written or recorded. I remember it happening when I was a kid, and I remember reading about it elsewhere. Does anyone know where I can get some actual documentation on this?

I think this is the right thread for this? I mean it's not really technical support, it's more like.. Mac Trivia at this point.

MacTracker has startup/death chimes for basically every Mac.
I think you option+click on the little comp icon for your model.
http://www.mactracker.ca/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

^^^ G5s only have 2x 3.5" drive bays, but they can fit 4x 3.5" disks in the CPU bay without issue.
Of course, you'd need a SATA/RAID card with OS X drivers to connect them all.

MacTracker has startup/death chimes for basically every Mac.
I think you option+click on the little comp icon for your model.
http://www.mactracker.ca/
Yep. Normal click for Startup chime, Command-Click for the Chimes Of Death.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I really, really hope a Thunderbolt ViDock does get released. It'd be great to use it with my 13" MBP when I have it connected to an external display.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I haven't seen anyone punished for pimping their own sales, so I think this is okay? I'm selling my old mid-2007 Mac Mini (with upgrades) in SA Mart for $300. Link.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Shmoogy posted:

Thanks dude. Just pulled the trigger on a 13" MBa bse model for ~$1000.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

I just realized I might be wrong on the fast/gigabit thing I wrote earlier. That might've been between PPC and Intel, so double check that if it's a deal breaker. (I would but I'm posting from the iPhone app :shobon:)

All PPC minis have 100 Mbit Ethernet, all Intel minis have gigabit.

I guess all the bitching they got during the PPC era made them cave in.. Think I've got a pic of a rack of Mini servers here someplace..

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Currently have the following sitting in my Amazon cart ready to take advantage of the 20% off laptop deal...

15" MacBook Pro
Intel 320 Series 120GB SATA SSD
Western Digital 1TB Scorpio HD
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Memory

If I pick up a HD optical bay caddy from Mac Sales or eBay or wherever, I should be good to go, yea? Anyone know of any issues with either the SSD or memory?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Binary Badger posted:

All PPC minis have 100 Mbit Ethernet, all Intel minis have gigabit.

I guess all the bitching they got during the PPC era made them cave in.. Think I've got a pic of a rack of Mini servers here someplace..

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Currently have the following sitting in my Amazon cart ready to take advantage of the 20% off laptop deal...

15" MacBook Pro

If I pick up a HD optical bay caddy from Mac Sales or eBay or wherever, I should be good to go, yea? Anyone know of any issues with either the SSD or memory?
The 320 has a potential nasty bug where improper power off (power loss, hard shutdown, maybe hard restart) can leave it showing as 8MB. I'd wait until that's patched. They're not so hot without TRIM support but that's more of a long term thing that may not matter for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

The 320 has a potential nasty bug where improper power off (power loss, hard shutdown, maybe hard restart) can leave it showing as 8MB. I'd wait until that's patched. They're not so hot without TRIM support but that's more of a long term thing that may not matter for you.

That issue is so overblown. As is the lack of TRIM support.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never been able to figure out what those are in the dead center of the picture. They look like Xserve fronts but there's nothing behind them. Then there's a couple CD-ROM drives at the top. Are they power strips or something?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I completely blame all of you for this:

My wife and I went to the Apple Store yesterday, after y'all had pretty well talked me into a 13" MacBook Air. I compared the Air to a couple of Pros, and decided I did like the Air better. I am a college student, so I asked about discounted pricing. The dude told me $100 off the Air (a lie, probably honest mistake, as I would later find out) plus a $100 App Store gift card. And discounted AppleCare.

Next up, we went to Best Buy, since I'd have to apply for financing at the Apple Store, but I already have a Best Buy credit card. They had a slightly different promotion. They were selling the same model MBA for $1235 (or so?), and offering a $100 Best Buy gift card to match the Apple promotion. Plus the store I was at was doing 36 month financing with the Best Buy card. gently caress yeah! There was some more confusion on the $100 off thing, and it turns out that the education discount on the Air is only $50, and the Best Buy price actually comes in under that, so that was the better deal overall.

So I got my Air, brought it home, started playing with it. Not even an hour after setting it up, my wife is looking up Mac Minis online. Long story short, we go back to the Apple store and she gets an entry level Mac Mini, wireless keyboard and trackpad. :psyduck:

We decided not to spend the extra $300 for more RAM since crucial.com says we can max the sucker out for like $60 or $70, so we'll probably do that. The new Minis make RAM upgrades crazy simple compared to the old ones, apparently.

So, umm, I'm glad my job starts in a week.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
drat, I was gonna wait until some owed money came in before I bought the Macbook Air, but the Amazon deal this weekend was just too amazing to pass up.

I bought one of those Kindle SO 20% off coupons on eBay this morning for $50. Everything went smoothly, and I just placed an order on the 13" Air for $988 w/no tax.

It's not estimated to ship until mid-September though :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

So I got my Air, brought it home, started playing with it. Not even an hour after setting it up, my wife is looking up Mac Minis online. Long story short, we go back to the Apple store and she gets an entry level Mac Mini, wireless keyboard and trackpad. :psyduck:

:psyduck: is right when your wife watches you engaged in geek love with the Air and decides SHE wants a Mini. Hope you had an extra display lying around.

quote:

We decided not to spend the extra $300 for more RAM since crucial.com says we can max the sucker out for like $60 or $70, so we'll probably do that. The new Minis make RAM upgrades crazy simple compared to the old ones, apparently.

NewEgg has some good RAM prices too. Mmmmm, yeah, undoing a few screws is a lot simpler than jamming two putty knives into the bottom of your machine, levering out the main housing with brute force, and hearing a lot of plastic snap before you even get the drat thing open.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think there are even screws involved anymore, you can just rotate the bottom cover with your thumbs and it comes off. The early Mac Mini designs were terrible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

That issue is so overblown. As is the lack of TRIM support.
poo poo can happen, they might as well be aware of it. And my G2 (in an external enclosure) is kind of sucking it up in 4k random, being a 40GB model probably accelerated the decline of course. I think it did around 15MB/sec in it before, now I'm down to 1-2MB last I checked on it. It still feels decently quick (cause access speed I assume) but there's been noticeable slowdowns here and there. The 80GB G1 in my main machine which is older and gets a shitload more use is fine though.
/completely anecdotal evidence

brc64 posted:

Hope she doesn't want the Cinema or Thunderbolt display now too :ohdear:

And it's actually $1300 to max it out :eng101:. If it feels slow I'd suggest swapping a faster drive in, preferably SSD of course, but assuming you don't want to blow yet another $200+ on it, a bigger/faster RPM drive would work too. If she's ok with 120GB and uses it a lot I'd definitely think about a SSD though.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

brc64 posted:

I completely blame all of you for this:

My wife and I went to the Apple Store yesterday, after y'all had pretty well talked me into a 13" MacBook Air. I compared the Air to a couple of Pros, and decided I did like the Air better. I am a college student, so I asked about discounted pricing. The dude told me $100 off the Air (a lie, probably honest mistake, as I would later find out) plus a $100 App Store gift card. And discounted AppleCare.

Next up, we went to Best Buy, since I'd have to apply for financing at the Apple Store, but I already have a Best Buy credit card. They had a slightly different promotion. They were selling the same model MBA for $1235 (or so?), and offering a $100 Best Buy gift card to match the Apple promotion. Plus the store I was at was doing 36 month financing with the Best Buy card. gently caress yeah! There was some more confusion on the $100 off thing, and it turns out that the education discount on the Air is only $50, and the Best Buy price actually comes in under that, so that was the better deal overall.

So, umm, I'm glad my job starts in a week.

Just grab one of the 8GB packages (4GB x2) sold on newegg or Amazon that have been posted around here lately.

I'm waiting for my MBA too, I ended up cancelling Macmall's order after doing the Amazon Kindle coupon. $300 savings is worth 3 weeks extra weight.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Binary Badger posted:

:psyduck: is right when your wife watches you engaged in geek love with the Air and decides SHE wants a Mini. Hope you had an extra display lying around.
Right now it's hooked up to the TV, but we're going to use her PC monitor (she's abandoning her desktop). The new minis come with an HDMI to DVI adapter cable, so that won't be a problem.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

ScooterMcTiny posted:

15" MacBook Pro

The Scorpio Blue has issues with my mid-2010 MBP, in that it parks the heads every eight seconds. I can post the workaround if you need it, but I would recommend the 1TB Samsung Spinpoint M8, as it's faster, and is the regular 9.5mm thickness.

e: I guess WD has released a 5400RPM/9.5mm drive since I last checked, no clue if the firmware issue persists or not.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

brc64 posted:

Right now it's hooked up to the TV, but we're going to use her PC monitor (she's abandoning her desktop). The new minis come with an HDMI to DVI adapter cable, so that won't be a problem.

Newegg's got 8 GB of compatible Corsair RAM for $50 with free shipping..