Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

Sorry. All I could think of was Melbourne with that turn right from the left lane on red bullshit. Does that still exist?

Ephphatha posted:

Hook turns work pretty well assuming people aren't complete loving retards. Given the quality of the average Melbourne driver though I'm surprised they've lasted this long.

OK, I'm going to need a diagram or something, because from here this is just 10 kinds of :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boat posted:

OK, I'm going to need a diagram or something, because from here this is just 10 kinds of :psyduck:

that red and silver car on the left and the gold car on the right are preparing to turn right, it's basically to keep people from waiting for cross traffic while sitting on the tracks. They have to wait until they have a spot in both directions of traffic, or the red light to clear the intersection.

Funny story, i encountered this 15 minutes into my first time driving on the left. Trial by fire.

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
With all that bad Asian driving nobody else thought of

" Good luck every body else"........

(Family guy)

Timbo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 8, 2011

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Boat posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_turn

Basically cars wanting to turn right will instead queue in the left lane and wait until the phase changes, then they can pull out to the right ahead of the cross traffic.

This video shows how it is meant to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VC110TeusA

The problem comes when people go too early and pull out ahead of through traffic, or cross traffic pulls out too early and sideswipes the turning traffic.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Ephphatha posted:

Basically cars wanting to turn right will instead queue in the left lane and wait until the phase changes, then they can pull out to the right ahead of the cross traffic.

This video shows how it is meant to work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VC110TeusA

The problem comes when people go too early and pull out ahead of through traffic, or cross traffic pulls out too early and sideswipes the turning traffic.

Wow. That's like the corner case of corner cases where driving is concerned. I don't think I've heard of anything like that before anywhere, though those insane magic roundabouts are pretty close in :wtc:ery.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Boat posted:

Wow. That's like the corner case of corner cases where driving is concerned. I don't think I've heard of anything like that before anywhere, though those insane magic roundabouts are pretty close in :wtc:ery.

Trams are pretty unforgiving, keeping traffic away is definitely a good thing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bad day in progress.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

Love this exchange at 4:50. Taxi runs the wrong way between two other taxis, tries to run and gets boxed in by a bus and one of the two taxis he just sideswiped.

Watching that video its pretty obvious having a dashcam is pretty much required while driving wherever the footage is being taken.

Uhm. Unless I'm mistaken the car trying to make a getaway has someone prostrate on the bonnet?

edit: Looks like the surprise passenger is wearing maybe a police or taxi driver hat?

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 8, 2011

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.

Powershift posted:

that red and silver car on the left and the gold car on the right are preparing to turn right, it's basically to keep people from waiting for cross traffic while sitting on the tracks. They have to wait until they have a spot in both directions of traffic, or the red light to clear the intersection.

Funny story, i encountered this 15 minutes into my first time driving on the left. Trial by fire.
Slight correction - you have to wait until the lights change. When you make a hook turn you effectively become part of the traffic stream you are joining.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ssergE posted:

Slight correction - you have to wait until the lights change. When you make a hook turn you effectively become part of the traffic stream you are joining.
I saw people jumping it left and right when they got a shot, just assumed that's how they worked.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

In the uk only the rightmost lane can cross the flow of traffic, this prevents everyone who wants to go straight from waiting behind the one douche who wants to go right.

Generally anyway, I'm sure someone will now post an example to prove I'm wrong.

Only a minor mechanical failure, but the following damage made my car a writeoff apparently:

So I bought it back for 10% of the original value.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 8, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I just moved to Charleston, South Carolina, and the roads are crazy. In the greater Charleston area, you can go from nearly intolerable teeth grinding traffic and congestion to tiny country roads through thick forest with no divider, no street lights, and deer who have lost all will to live. The roads in South Carolina are the worst roads I've ever driven on. They're all run down, they lanes are much more narrow than any others I've seen, there is no shoulder (sometimes those ridges that are supposed to alert you that you're going off the road are literally in your lane on your side of the line), none of the lines or reflectors are visible at night, and if you are ever lucky enough to spot a turn arrow traffic signal, you make a wish upon it. Even when you're expected to turn across 3 lanes of traffic.

Meanwhile no-one has any patience whatsoever. I almost got run off the road last night in my MR2 while going the speed limit because I was lost and had no idea even what direction I was going. I think that dynamic is a little like what I used to come across when surfing - they used to say that you would get fought over a 3 foot wave because there were so little to be had, meanwhile people would encourage each other to paddle into an overhead one. The roads here are so bad that people are arbitrarily, disproportionately angry about them.

The weirdest part about the whole thing is that while the roads are terrible, you could be driving down a whack country road, staring down death and then deciding to overtake it, out of the whackness immediately emerges a beautiful bridge. Some of the coolest bridges in the nation. It makes no sense.

Anyway, do those deer whistles you put on your car actually do anything?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Cakefool posted:

In the uk only the rightmost lane can cross the flow of traffic, this prevents everyone who wants to go straight from waiting behind the one douche who wants to go right.

Only a minor mechanical failure, but the following damage made my car a writeoff apparently:

Where is your windshield wiper fluid reservoir cap?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Geoj posted:

Love this exchange at 4:50. Taxi runs the wrong way between two other taxis, tries to run and gets boxed in by a bus and one of the two taxis he just sideswiped.

Watching that video its pretty obvious having a dashcam is pretty much required while driving wherever the footage is being taken.

You forgot the traffic cop on his hood :v:

e:f,b :argh:

Cakefool posted:

Same deal with left turns in the States, if you're gonna turn left, go to the goddamn left and wait for a green arrow. Never heard of any of this crossways turning bullshit. The only possible ambiguity is when the left turn lane (which is actually on the left side of the road) has a green light, but it's a normal round green light, not an arrow - You can technically make the turn, but only if there's no oncoming traffic; if the light is a green arrow then that's a guarantee that oncoming traffic has a red light so you can safely go ahead (as it's generally safe to assume that people know what a red light means.)

Oh yeah and right turns on red, if you're gonna turn right at a stoplight, you can generally treat a red light as a stop sign - stop, look for oncoming traffic, go ahead if it's safe. It's sometimes prohibited though, and it's made clear when it isn't allowed.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 8, 2011

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Scientist posted:

Where is your windshield wiper fluid reservoir cap?

Long gone. I check every one I find in a scrapyard but they're all broken or gone for some reason. At this point I might just buy a new one.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Oh, well at least you're aware that its gone and its not like it made a break for it during the "incident" (which appears to be the dentening of your bumper and the grill on your hood).

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Cakefool posted:

Did they tell you why they are totaling it?

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Contraband posted:

I don't think many insurance companies would be interested in covering engine damage suffered at a race track.
Insurance in Texas covers me on the track, provided I'm not running lap times. Still, I don't think mechanical failure of the engine is covered.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

heat posted:

Did they tell you why they are totaling it?
Looks like his radiator got pushed in a tiny bit, and I imagine straightening the frame at all in that front is prohibitively expensive, make it cost that magic amount to total a car out (for insurance companies it's a % of the car's overall value). Often they will let you "buy" it back (presumably for parts or to do the work on your own dime) for a very cheap amount.

So did you basically get 90% of the car's bluebook and your car back with a dented hood latch?

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 8, 2011

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

The Scientist posted:

I just moved to Charleston, South Carolina, and the roads are crazy.

Where did you relocate from? Charleston's roads aren't that bad by Carolinas standards. I live up the road a piece in Charlotte, where we have numerous artery roads that change name more than once.

And the narrow country roads with no streetlights or shoulder and populated by suicidal deer are pretty much ubiquitous in the southeast. Once you learn them, they're a ton of fun to drive, and most of them are limited at 45-55.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

nerdly_dood posted:

Oh yeah and right turns on red, if you're gonna turn right at a stoplight, you can generally treat a red light as a stop sign - stop, look for oncoming traffic, go ahead if it's safe. It's sometimes prohibited though, and it's made clear when it isn't allowed.

Unless you're in NYC where it's completely prohibited but not posted.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

nerdly_dood posted:

Same deal with left turns in the States, if you're gonna turn left, go to the goddamn left and wait for a green arrow.

Unless you're in New Jersey where they have jug handles just to royally gently caress with out-of-staters.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

The Scientist posted:

Anyway, do those deer whistles you put on your car actually do anything?

Yes. They attract deer. :argh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

Looks like his radiator got pushed in a tiny bit, and I imagine straightening the frame at all in that front is prohibitively expensive, make it cost that magic amount to total a car out (for insurance companies it's a % of the car's overall value). Often they will let you "buy" it back (presumably for parts or to do the work on your own dime) for a very cheap amount.

So did you basically get 90% of the car's bluebook and your car back with a dented hood latch?

Radiator is unmoved, frame is untouched. Basically the cost of a new hood & bumper painted & fitted was over the magic percentage so yes I got 90% -my excess back.

Funnily enough, the hood now latches better than before...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Scientist posted:

I just moved to Charleston, South Carolina, and the roads are crazy. They're all run down, they lanes are much more narrow than any others I've seen, there is no shoulder (sometimes those ridges that are supposed to alert you that you're going off the road are literally in your lane on your side of the line), none of the lines or reflectors are visible at night, and if you are ever lucky enough to spot a turn arrow traffic signal, you make a wish upon it. Even when you're expected to turn across 3 lanes of traffic.

Welcome to living in a red state where public services have been cut to the bone.

Boat posted:

Unless you're in New Jersey where they have jug handles just to royally gently caress with out-of-staters.

I don't know what's worse - the jughandles in NJ or the Michigan Left.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

I don't know what's worse - the jughandles in NJ or the Michigan Left.

Eh, seems kind of normal from living in Florida where there's a lot of that, sans the no-left cross streets. I've had to do what amounts to a Michigan left several times, and it's not too difficult provided people aren't hanging out in the passing lane for no good reason.

Then again, I could see out of state people being baffled by the no-left signs if the fact there's a turnaround up the road isn't immediately obvious.

E: thinking about it, given the choice, I'd go with jughandles. At least then, all the turning traffic is in the right lane, out of the way. Though the Michigan lefts have those deceleration cutouts for the turn, we all know that some people feel compelled to slow down to 10mph before cutting over into that lane. :argh:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 8, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Coasterphreak posted:

Where did you relocate from? Charleston's roads aren't that bad by Carolinas standards.

I just moved from Florida. Now that I think about it, I think that may be my problem. I lived about halfway between Orlando, which prior to the advent of Disney Worldtm was a collection of cow pastures, and Kennedy Space Center, which prior to Sputnik was a series of swamps that were an ideal place to go if you wanted to catch West Nile Virus. That combined with that monumental growth that Florida's seen and perhaps I got spoiled by nice, new, civil-engineered roads.

Meanwhile, Charleston dates back to the 1600's, and we all know that all they had back then were but the simplest of horseless carrii.

But in my defense, I-95 was under "construction" [had cones alongside it] for the entire length of my old county in Florida, 100+ miles.

I'm sorry that this is probably super boring to read.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Ephphatha posted:

Holy poo poo this took me a long time to figure out. Seems like it would only let 2-3 cars go at a time though, unless the intersection was ridiculously wide. Why not a protected right signal?

Muffinpox posted:

Unless you're in NYC where it's completely prohibited but not posted.

It's like that in most major cities though. I grew up in Boston but I knew that you can't ROR in NYC, although now I live in Chicago where you can :smug:

Also, having been back in MA for the last two weeks visiting my folks, gently caress MA drivers and their "Boston Half-out" or "Revere Merge" or whatever kitschy name your dad thought up for that jerkoff move. I've had people pull in front of my lane while I'm barreling down on them at 50-60mph and just look at me smugly like "What, ya gonna broadside my cah?" YES YOU rear end in a top hat I AM

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bidikyoopi posted:

Holy poo poo this took me a long time to figure out. Seems like it would only let 2-3 cars go at a time though, unless the intersection was ridiculously wide. Why not a protected right signal?

Because of the tram tracks.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bidikyoopi posted:

Also, having been back in MA for the last two weeks visiting my folks, gently caress MA drivers and their "Boston Half-out" or "Revere Merge" or whatever kitschy name your dad thought up for that jerkoff move. I've had people pull in front of my lane while I'm barreling down on them at 50-60mph and just look at me smugly like "What, ya gonna broadside my cah?" YES YOU rear end in a top hat I AM
As a lifelong MA driver I love driving here but thats the one thing I hate. However, its easy to get around most of them as long as you don't slam on the brakes and show weakness. If you do that they'll pounce and then do 5 under the limit to mock you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dissss posted:

Because of the tram tracks.

Do the trams stop for nobody down there? We have light rail in Phoenix but it stops at signals so that cars can make lefts.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sent Texas Redneck a buncha pics from my NHRA race yesterday, hopefully he can get them posted for me. I had no idea that the noise was that vulgar.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Breast Pussy posted:

However, its easy to get around most of them as long as you don't slam on the brakes and show weakness. If you do that they'll pounce and then do 5 under the limit to mock you.

That's how you drive in MA, period. Show weakness, you get rolled over, and whomever's bumper is ahead when the merge lane ends, wins.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shampoo posted:

That's how you drive in MA, period. Show weakness, you get rolled over, and whomever's bumper is ahead when the merge lane ends, wins.

And yet in Idaho everybody is random, and in general drives from 5 under to 5 over. I always drive 2 under because I know the lights are timed to be just a bit slower than if you drive the speed limit.

When assholes tailgate me and drive around me I always catch up to them and wave. They never wave back. :smith:

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Breast Pussy posted:

As a lifelong MA driver I love driving here but thats the one thing I hate. However, its easy to get around most of them as long as you don't slam on the brakes and show weakness. If you do that they'll pounce and then do 5 under the limit to mock you.

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

ratbert90 posted:

And yet in Idaho everybody is random, and in general drives from 5 under to 5 over. I always drive 2 under because I know the lights are timed to be just a bit slower than if you drive the speed limit.

When assholes tailgate me and drive around me I always catch up to them and wave. They never wave back. :smith:

I like this guy. I, too, believe in breeding altruism while driving. :cheers:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bidikyoopi posted:

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.
Oh I know when to take it easy and am usually a nice person to other drivers but the full noseout is one of the things that really irks me for the reasons you mentioned. I thought you were talking about regular noseouts where people see who takes the bait and lets 'em in.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Scientist posted:

I like this guy. I, too, believe in breeding altruism while driving. :cheers:

It's how I roll man. :unsmith: There is only one demographic I see that is guaranteed to tailgate me 90+% of the time, people younger than 21.

It's always the kids with their hippin and their hoppin. If I see a younger looking gal with giant sun glasses on, I KNOW going 33 in a 35 will make them tailgate me until the end of time.

And I always catch up to them after they speed around me to gain less than 10 seconds of time to catch up to the next red light.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do the trams stop for nobody down there? We have light rail in Phoenix but it stops at signals so that cars can make lefts.

Its been a while since I've driven in Melbourne but if I recall correctly the trams do have signals but its all set up to prioritise trams over general traffic.

Makes sense as you want to encourage use of the public transport system. Plus just having hook turns scares a few people out of driving in the city :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

And I always catch up to them after they speed around me to gain less than 10 seconds of time to catch up to the next red light.

I find that people driving under the speed limit are more unpredictable and would rather not follow them, so my speeding around you is just to get out from behind you.