Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

Does this make my Sprint number AND my GV number the same? This is confusing the hell out of me.

Yes, if you choose to do the integration. You pick one number or the other, and that effectively becomes your cellphone number, with the benefits of GVoice. If you keep your Sprint-issued number, you can pay a $20 fee (one time) to keep your original GVoice number active (I think it can only receive calls?), otherwise it becomes inactive after something like 90 days after you start the integration.

If you choose to keep the GVoice number as your single number, the original Sprint cell number just goes away into the ether as far as I know, to be reassigned to someone else.

This integration option is something that's unique to Sprint, AFAIK.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

NM, beaten by the above by like 20 minutes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sirbeefalot posted:

Yes, if you choose to do the integration. You pick one number or the other, and that effectively becomes your cellphone number, with the benefits of GVoice. If you keep your Sprint-issued number, you can pay a $20 fee (one time) to keep your original GVoice number active (I think it can only receive calls?), otherwise it becomes inactive after something like 90 days after you start the integration.

If you choose to keep the GVoice number as your single number, the original Sprint cell number just goes away into the ether as far as I know, to be reassigned to someone else.

This integration option is something that's unique to Sprint, AFAIK.

Fyi, your Sprint number stays there, its just used as your identity when you call into Sprint. At least last I checked, I could be misreading it. But like, I use my GVoice # for the integration, but my Sprint number is still what shows on the account. using your Sprint number will get rid of any GVoice # though, for sure.

No wonder the integration hasn't gone smoothly, confusing as hell.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi, your Sprint number stays there, its just used as your identity when you call into Sprint. At least last I checked, I could be misreading it. But like, I use my GVoice # for the integration, but my Sprint number is still what shows on the account. using your Sprint number will get rid of any GVoice # though, for sure.

No wonder the integration hasn't gone smoothly, confusing as hell.

Yeah I've wondered about this, so if I cancel Sprint does it cancel my Google Voice account too? I've had the account since it was GrandCentral. That doesn't really make sense. Although Sprint giving the number to Google doesn't either.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that Sprint & Google have basically just agreed to a special API hook between their databases so that they can properly route the traffic, depending on how you do the integration?

I thought the integration was easy & staightforward - You elect to integrate, choose which number you want to be used for everything, and be on your merry way... :confused:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ozmodiar posted:

Didn't someone mention earlier in the thread that Sprint & Google have basically just agreed to a special API hook between their databases so that they can properly route the traffic, depending on how you do the integration?

I thought the integration was easy & staightforward - You elect to integrate, choose which number you want to be used for everything, and be on your merry way... :confused:

Its pretty straightforward IMO, but the finer details leave much to be desired. Lots of the GVoice settings still function like you're using it as a separate service to your cellular line and to do things certain ways (see: text message reception), you need to set like 2-3 different toggles for it to work.

For instance I'm pretty sure its not possible to receive texts in the default messaging app and also get JUST voicemail notifications from the GVoice app concurrently. Either you're getting texts in Messaging AND both voicemail and text notifications from the GV app (double text notifications, basically), or you turn off notifications in the GV app and get your texts in Messaging but no voicemail notifications, or you can have GV send you a text message as a notification of a new voicemail which is just :psyduck: All they need to do is have a couple checkboxes in the GV app to make things much better.

"Notify me of new Texts - [ ]"
"Notify me of new Voicemails - [√]"

Its limited options like this that make sense when you have a separate GV number that you're using on your cell phone, but are clunky and unintuitive when you're trying to combine the two.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 9, 2011

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

So the sgs2 is going to be called the Epic 4g Touch. Do they really want to be associated with the epic? Isn't that the phone everyone hates?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Appachai posted:

So the sgs2 is going to be called the Epic 4g Touch. Do they really want to be associated with the epic? Isn't that the phone everyone hates?
They're doing us a favor if it ends up sucking.

For the record, the Epic isn't as bad as the Moment, Intercept, or Transform. It gets crapped on more as folks had higher expectations for it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
edit: n/m, Sprint's directions for phone activation were wrong.

that one guy fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2011

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
e:nm

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 27, 2013

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
Mentioned briefly a couple posts up but also there is new talk of a new Evo. Called the Design 4G. Can't wait to hear the specs on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/09/leakster-names-sprints-latest-samsung-epic-4g-touch-htc-evo-d/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Mentioned briefly a couple posts up but also there is new talk of a new Evo. Called the Design 4G. Can't wait to hear the specs on it.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/09/leakster-names-sprints-latest-samsung-epic-4g-touch-htc-evo-d/

Apparently it's the Kingdom, which is basically the 3d except with a 1.2 single core processor and no 3d.

Do I need to buy the 30 dollar usb-hdmi adapter for my 3d to do hdmi, or will the 3 dollar usb/hdmi cable work just as well?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
It's an MHL adapter you need, not regular microUSB to HDMI.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I live in the LA area, and for the past couple of months I've been having a weird issue where if I call someone on T-mobile, 75% of the time it'll ring ring ring then at the point I would expect it to go to voicemail, busy signal. The other 25% of the time it'll actually go through to them.

If it screws up and gives me the busy signal I have to hang up and try again and then the call will go through. I've asked the people I'm calling when it happens if their phone had rung previous to the call they just answered and they say no.

Does anyone have experience with what I'm talking about, and if so what's up? I integrated to GV about four months ago and that was one can of worms (it just barely starts ringing on my end before the caller gets sent to voicemail) so I don't know if it's a GV issue or maybe a Cyanogenmod one or maybe just some weird Sprint fuckup that has appeared.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mercifully I'm getting rid of tmobile and this awful Motorola Cliq, after a lot of shopping I decided to go with Sprint and the Photon. The store gave me 15% off my bill because I'm a "contractor" (I'm a DoD nerd) which was cool, and the phone was amazing. I liked it more than the 3D one, what do people think of the two? Did I make the right choice?

I'm now waiting out the 6 days until my tmobile contract expires and I can port my number. Tick tick.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

bewbies posted:

Mercifully I'm getting rid of tmobile and this awful Motorola Cliq, after a lot of shopping I decided to go with Sprint and the Photon. The store gave me 15% off my bill because I'm a "contractor" (I'm a DoD nerd) which was cool, and the phone was amazing. I liked it more than the 3D one, what do people think of the two? Did I make the right choice?

I'm now waiting out the 6 days until my tmobile contract expires and I can port my number. Tick tick.

The screen on the 3d has been pretty much been given universal praise over the Photon. The Processor on the 3d is faster by a smidge. Sense Vs. Blur comes down to preference but I've heard more people say good things about Sense than I have blur. Both phones are great though and you can't go wrong with either one.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bewbies posted:

Did I make the right choice?
There's advantages to the Photon's screen over the Evo 3D in terms of power consumption, but aesthetically and functionally, a lot of folks will prefer the 3D's screen.

Personally the main issue for me is rootability. The fact that the 3D is unofficially rootable now, and officially rootable "soon" makes it an obvious choice over the Photon. But if you don't care about rooting, and aren't particularly interested in retaining the option to do it, then there's no reason to avoid the Photon.

bewbies posted:

I'm now waiting out the 6 days until my tmobile contract expires and I can port my number.
Don't forget the $125 port credit.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My 3D is now running at 1.8GHz or thereabouts, so any processor differences between the Photon and the 3D are probably not that huge.

(On Demand scaling of course, so the battery life hasn't been affected. In fact, since my screen off settings are lower, my battery life seems better than ever)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Appachai posted:

Nerds hate, regular people love. Sad but true.

bewbies posted:

I'd say you'll be fine as long as you are not wanting to unlock it.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, I still have the same "top quarter of the screen behaves irratically and touch screen locks up entirely from time to time when it is hot" issue. I spoke to bestbuy, and they said "past 30 day return, you have no insurance, tough titties, go talk to the Sprint store." The sprint store said "You have to take that up with HTC, and it will take a minimum of 10 days to turn it around, and they will probably not be able to find the issue and charge you a 35$ triage fee" then they turn around and say "HOWEVER! we can let you in on our insurance program for 8$ a month, and just swap it out right now"

So, is there some better way to do this? Should I buy the stupid insurance? Should I roll the dice with HTC and see if they can fix it?

Is there some way to ask nicely to have them swap my three month old phone for one that loving works that I'm not hearing about?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

So, I still have the same "top quarter of the screen behaves irratically and touch screen locks up entirely from time to time when it is hot" issue. I spoke to bestbuy, and they said "past 30 day return, you have no insurance, tough titties, go talk to the Sprint store." The sprint store said "You have to take that up with HTC, and it will take a minimum of 10 days to turn it around, and they will probably not be able to find the issue and charge you a 35$ triage fee" then they turn around and say "HOWEVER! we can let you in on our insurance program for 8$ a month, and just swap it out right now"

So, is there some better way to do this? Should I buy the stupid insurance? Should I roll the dice with HTC and see if they can fix it?

Is there some way to ask nicely to have them swap my three month old phone for one that loving works that I'm not hearing about?

Since it is warranty Sprint should offer to swap it for $35. Take the insurance and just take it off next month, $8-16 is better than $35. Don't send the phone through HTC. That's really nice of them to do that, technically that's fraud to add it on the account and then do a swap (even a warranty).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Only major thing I dislike about the 3d/sense(?) is the way that the ui is locked in portrait mode.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Has anybody here had issues with cold booting their 3D while it's plugged in? Ever since I got it (even before rooting the thing), if I forget to unplug it before starting it from being completely shut down, it refuses to boot until I pull the battery and unplug it. This apparently has happened to a few other people, but I'm just curious as to whether anybody else has seen it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Kreeblah posted:

Has anybody here had issues with cold booting their 3D while it's plugged in? Ever since I got it (even before rooting the thing), if I forget to unplug it before starting it from being completely shut down, it refuses to boot until I pull the battery and unplug it. This apparently has happened to a few other people, but I'm just curious as to whether anybody else has seen it.

Used to happen to me as well, although not every single time. Bizarrely enough, I haven't had it happen since I flashed TWRP recovery.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
The recommend me a phone/plan thread pointed me in the direction of the Optimus V, and it seems like a good fit for me, but before I switch over to Virgin Mobile I was wondering if anyone in this thread might know how good the coverage in Philly is. I've been asking around my friends, but none of them use Sprint or VM(or know anyone who does).

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

change my name posted:

Only major thing I dislike about the 3d/sense(?) is the way that the ui is locked in portrait mode.
That's Sense. Or more accurately, Rosie, the Sense launcher. Swap it out for ADW EX or Launcher Pro if it bugs you. They're both great alternatives, LPP more if you want to emulate Rosie.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

OptimusMatrix posted:

The screen on the 3d has been pretty much been given universal praise over the Photon. The Processor on the 3d is faster by a smidge. Sense Vs. Blur comes down to preference but I've heard more people say good things about Sense than I have blur. Both phones are great though and you can't go wrong with either one.

My impression is that Blur on the Photon is lighter weight than Sense on the Evo 3D (in terms of battery consumption and general sluggishness). Both skins suck IMO and CM7 is better in every way other than stability ...

Additional reasons to consider the Photon is that it's a global phone and has a kickstand!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Only thing that bugs me about the 3d's screen is the shimmering rainbowish effect from tilting it too far (from the 3d display).

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
Does anybody know if there's a way to keep the "For best results, hold the phone in landscape mode" dialog from popping up when I'm trying to take 3D pictures with the EVO 3D? Or override it? I understand why it's there, but it seems to pop up when I'm trying to take pictures with the phone pointing downward. It completely stops me from taking photos, and I can't get it to go away without tilting the phone up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Terminus posted:

The recommend me a phone/plan thread pointed me in the direction of the Optimus V, and it seems like a good fit for me, but before I switch over to Virgin Mobile I was wondering if anyone in this thread might know how good the coverage in Philly is. I've been asking around my friends, but none of them use Sprint or VM(or know anyone who does).

Honestly I would expect philly to be fine with virgin mobile, you just may get spotty coverage in rural areas.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Terminus posted:

Where in Philly do you live? I've lived in Philadelphia and its suburbs by entire life and have had generally good experiences with Sprint since I signed up in 2002. But as with any carrier, there are bound to be some spots with poorer coverage than others.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I had Sprint in the West Chester/Media PA area (half hour west of Philly) for several years with no problems.

Edit: Hell, I lived in Lancaster with an Amish farmer for a neighbor and I still had decent Sprint coverage.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 10, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

How many texts can the 3d hold? I remember that my last phone was capped at 277 I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Leathal posted:

I had Sprint in the West Chester/Media PA area (half hour west of Philly) for several years with no problems.

Edit: Hell, I lived in Lancaster with an Amish farmer for a neighbor and I still had decent Sprint coverage.

To be fair, Sprint seems to have this love affair with Lancaster, in that the town somehow had 4G before major cities like NYC, LA and San Francisco.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
How hard is it to cancel a single line without paying the ETF? My mother claims she gets no signal at her place despite the coverage map showing perfect voice and 3G coverage. An Airrave or whatever isn't an option because she doesn't have internet there.

To me it looks like I'm going to have to pay the full $200 ETF since she waited two and a half months to tell me this. gently caress. And of course she made me swap out the Optimus I got her with a lovely Sanyo phone with no resale value.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

change my name posted:

How many texts can the 3d hold? I remember that my last phone was capped at 277 I think.

A lot. I've got 830 with one of my contacts.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

change my name posted:

I've had literally a couple thousand a couple times on my Evo 3d.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Leathal posted:

I've been in the western suburbs of Philly for the last few years and have also been in the Northeast part of the city and usually have no problems, but there's the occasional dead spot.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That's pretty terrible considering the coverage around nyc.

I'M A SPOILED NEW YORKER AND I DEMAND COVERAGE IN MY BATHROOM :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Having just come from Verizon, the 3G (and call coverage to a lesser extent) of Sprint in the NYC suburb area is surprisingly terrible in comparison. Friends with Sprint just seemed to be used to it. However my contract is literally half the price, so it's worth it.