Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

brylcreem posted:

I've been watching Seven Days recently, and I've been thinking.

Isn't the fact that people still die in terrorist attacks and disasters, proof that time travel doesn't exist? The bombing and shooting in Norway, mass death tolls in tsunamis, 9/11 and so on.

I mean, even if we assume the government wants to keep it secret (like in Seven Days), shouldn't we see a much lower incident of attacks or at least lower death tolls?

It's not exactly a QED-proof, but either time travel doesn't exist, or the people of the future are jerks.

An easy way to dismiss that would be a rule like
"You can't travel back before the mechanism to travel backwards time was invented."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

brylcreem posted:

I've been watching Seven Days recently, and I've been thinking.

Isn't the fact that people still die in terrorist attacks and disasters, proof that time travel doesn't exist? The bombing and shooting in Norway, mass death tolls in tsunamis, 9/11 and so on.

I mean, even if we assume the government wants to keep it secret (like in Seven Days), shouldn't we see a much lower incident of attacks or at least lower death tolls?

It's not exactly a QED-proof, but either time travel doesn't exist, or the people of the future are jerks.

Or, maybe time travel does exist, and the disasters that happen are the ones that weren't big enough to try to prevent. :tinfoil:

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

An easy way to dismiss that would be a rule like
"You can't travel back before the mechanism to travel backwards time was invented."

This, or even if you could go further, if you changed anything you change the future you came from possibly negating the development of time travel and thus a paradox.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

gwar3k1 posted:

This, or even if you could go further, if you changed anything you change the future you came from possibly negating the development of time travel and thus a paradox.

As in funding for time travel was a direct result of The Patriot Act. Without 9/11 there would be no Patriot Act thus no Time Travel.

ass is hometown fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 8, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

gwar3k1 posted:

Great Scott!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

spog posted:

Great Scott!

You have to take a picture of the time machine with you. If it fades away then you need to fix poo poo.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, all good points. I'm on my phone, so can't multi-quote.

Of course, there's also the possibility that time travelers are intervening regularly, but only in small ways, like making sure important people in the future (politicians, scientists, etc), aren't at the scenes of disasters or attacks, by causing flat tires or something :tinfoil:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Or...time travel only works going forward in time, not back. Or...time traveling back in time creates a new parallel universe, so you can never erase history, only change it in a new splinter universe. Star Trek uses this model.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Yeah, all good points. I'm on my phone, so can't multi-quote.

Of course, there's also the possibility that time travelers are intervening regularly, but only in small ways, like making sure important people in the future (politicians, scientists, etc), aren't at the scenes of disasters or attacks, by causing flat tires or something :tinfoil:

I'm pretty sure that the only way to "travel time" would be to invent a device that records everything and allows something to be inserted into a perfect universe simulator based on data collected. Which would also make it impossible to go back before the point of invention.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The other alternative is that time travellers can and have stopped terrorist attacks, we just happen to all be in the corner of the multiverse where that didn't happen. If the multiverse consists of all possible universes and timelines, at least one has to be the one where time travellers didn't/couldn't/wouldn't stop past catastrophes.

Also Jean Claude Van Damme taught me that some crazy poo poo can go down if you gently caress with time.

e: I don't remember where, but I heard another good argument the other day regarding using time travel to prevent catastrophes: if you travel back in time and kill Baby Hitler, you wouldn't be remembered for stopping the Holocaust, you'd be remembered (if at all) as that weird fucker that shot that baby.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 8, 2011

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Anyone have advice on stopping myself from going online at work? It seems like most any solution hits the roadblock that I don't have an administrator Windows login. I managed to get a Block Site add-on to Firefox that works pretty well... only there's nothing to stop you from simply hitting the add-ons menu and disabling it entirely.

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

lizardman posted:

Anyone have advice on stopping myself from going online at work? It seems like most any solution hits the roadblock that I don't have an administrator Windows login. I managed to get a Block Site add-on to Firefox that works pretty well... only there's nothing to stop you from simply hitting the add-ons menu and disabling it entirely.

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!!!
You could try editing your hosts.txt file and including any sites you want blocked. The fact you'd have to go dig through and edit that poo poo again should be something of a demotivator.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^Tried it. Won't save without an admin passowrd. :(

I'm at the point where I almost want to make a fake IT ticket and when the guy comes over just tell him the truth and have him block the time wasters for me and have him promise not to tell anybody...

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TetsuoTW posted:

The other alternative is that time travellers can and have stopped terrorist attacks, we just happen to all be in the corner of the multiverse where that didn't happen. If the multiverse consists of all possible universes and timelines, at least one has to be the one where time travellers didn't/couldn't/wouldn't stop past catastrophes.

Haha, yeah. We're probably like the weird uncle of the multiverses. "Nah, don't bother preventing it. We'll just use them as an example of what happens when you don't prevent terrorist attacks"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

lizardman posted:

^^Tried it. Won't save without an admin passowrd. :(

I'm at the point where I almost want to make a fake IT ticket and when the guy comes over just tell him the truth and have him block the time wasters for me and have him promise not to tell anybody...

Technological solutions, in this case, are not NEARLY up to par with psychological solutions.

First, get a rubber band (a hair tie with the metal grommet works better, but the rubber band might be more available in an office). Slip it over your wrist like a bracelet. Make sure it's tight enough to not just be rolling around, but loose enough to not generally be painful.

Second, bend your hand back. (This is temporary and just for illustration.) Find the point on the side of your wrist, at the base of your thumb, where the bone is closest to your skin.

Third, whenever you decide to go online at work, pull the rubber band back and snap it against that bone. (And then don't go online after all.)

This seems like a trivial exercise, but it's actually very effective Pavlovian training. My experience is that within 24-48 hours you will stop having the urge to go online at work, because your subconscious will say, "wait, if I go online I'll get that rubber band snapped on my wrist, gently caress THAT NOISE."

e: vv Maybe? I learned about it as a smoking-cessation technique. Regardless of the guilt-by-association fallacy, though, the fact is that the technique works.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 8, 2011

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ Isn't that what religious camps tell gays to do to fight their homosexual urges?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Do astronauts need a passport to go into space?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That makes me curious, do you need one to go to Antartica?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xandu posted:

That makes me curious, do you need one to go to Antartica?

No, Antarctica is not under the control of any government.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

haveblue posted:

Then what about the return trip?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't know, how do they handle people who pilot boats out onto international waters and back?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm pretty sure you don't need to have had a destination when you re-enter the country. I once read how North Korea will staple their stamp to your passport and remove it when you leave, since having a North Korean stamp on your passport won't make you any friends in customs when you return to South Korea or the US. As long as you have an American passport, I reckon you can enter the US from anywhere, regardless of where you just came from. Same with any country and passport.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Whats the best to keep things passwords/CD keys/CC information secure but accessible?
Recently my Google account was accessed by a Chinese IP, and I want to see what I can do to prevent it happening again with something more important.

At the moment I mostly generate my passwords by banging randomly on the keyboard to get something like AI4ELN5EGO37NX13HEMA and then save it to a text file on my desktop and then copy and paste when I need something.

This strikes me as being pretty unsafe. I have heard about programs that can store/encrypt passwords and stuff, but I'm not sure which are legit and which are good.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Password Safe is an excellent program for managing other secure information.

I'd also strongly consider using something like https://www.random.org/passwords/ to generate strong passwords, instead of just wailing on the keyboard, but it may be going a bit overboard for personal use.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 8, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I don't know, how do they handle people who pilot boats out onto international waters and back?

I've sailed in both Canadian and international waters and did not have a valid passport at the time. Granted, I was on a US-flagged vessel, which is technically sovereign US territory.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I went on a cruise from NY to Canada and didn't need a passport. If I would have driven, would I have?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Sizzlechest posted:

I went on a cruise from NY to Canada and didn't need a passport. If I would have driven, would I have?

How long ago? The requirement to use passports when traveling between the USA and Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas only started about 5 or so years ago.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
But do you need a passport to travel in time?

It's possible that time travel will be invented, but it will be so far in the future that they just don't give a poo poo about us. How many people would travel back in time to warn people about the Vesuvius eruption? Nobody, because it happened so long ago that nobody cares, and there's nobody left who thinks of that as something that "happened to us." Maybe by the time time travel is developed, the US will be a lovely poor country that nobody in developed countries that can afford time travel cares about.

And what about various genocides? Everybody says they'd go back and stop Hitler, but nobody says they'd go back and help the indigenous people around the world who were casualties of European colonialism. Or if they did, would we really let them use our time machine? gently caress no.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
Edit: Never mind. Found it.

Tiax Rules All fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 9, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Sizzlechest posted:

Cruise ships have different rules.

http://worldcruiseholidays.com/passport-requirements-for-your-cruise-vacation/

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

How long ago? The requirement to use passports when traveling between the USA and Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas only started about 5 or so years ago.

A week ago.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm on Firefox 3.6.11. When I go to Google and search for something, it auto suggests things and I used to be able to use my down directional arrow to scroll through the results but now the down arrow is scrolling the page when the auto suggest is in focus. The Up key cycles upward, but I'd like to restore that functionality to the down key.

Anyone got any ideas?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Why is whale song used in a ton of "science fiction" music?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Are you sure it's whale songs and not a theremin? If so, maybe they just didn't have access to a theremin.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

change my name posted:

Why is whale song used in a ton of "science fiction" music?

You might be thinking of a "waterphone". It's kind of like a whale song. It's probably just synthesized now (as is theremin, usually).

http://www.waterphone.com/samples.php

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I picked up a used air hockey table at a yard sale, which had apparently been sitting in a basement for a number of years. It feels like a large portion of the table isn't blowing properly, which I figure is probably because of dust in the holes. Is there any way to clean it out without toothpick-ing each hole one-by-one?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

User-Friendly posted:

I picked up a used air hockey table at a yard sale, which had apparently been sitting in a basement for a number of years. It feels like a large portion of the table isn't blowing properly, which I figure is probably because of dust in the holes. Is there any way to clean it out without toothpick-ing each hole one-by-one?

Compressed air?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

haveblue posted:

Most trips to Antarctica involve stopping off in New Zealand or Chile or Argentina either coming or going, so you do tend to need passports just in case.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

trandorian posted:

Most trips to Antarctica involve stopping off in New Zealand or Chile or Argentina either coming or going, so you do tend to need passports just in case.

I didn't think you needed passports if you were staying on the ship/not exiting out into the actual country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Probably not, but most people don't take ships to NZ, Argentina, or Chile anymore.