Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Copyright question!

This video was shot by junior high students (I think it was 1991) and shown on a local access State Cable television channel. There were no issues with using the music because it fell under educational use- and still should.

YouTube is warning me that the songs are owned by UMG, Breeze, and EMI. What's the wording I need to send to you YouTube in case they give me poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'm trying to find a webpage I registered for months ago that allowed you to create random lists of text in bullet form that allowed for extreme nesting and categorization. It was fairly basic in its look and feel, but the technology behind it seemed fairly advanced. They claimed their web application was designed to function "the way your brain works". Seems like a bold statement, but it was a cool app.

I'm not even sure I received an email when I signed up, and I haven't used it in a while, but I'd love to get back into it, if I could only find it!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sizzlechest posted:

A week ago.

Oh. Huh. Did you actually leave the customs area of the destination port? (Keeping in mind I have no idea how any of this works)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Golbez posted:

How long ago? The requirement to use passports when traveling between the USA and Canada, Mexico, and the Bahamas only started about 5 or so years ago.

Sizzlechest posted:

A week ago.

Well you got me baffled. The United States requires all people visiting or reentering to have a passport. Canada does not require passports to enter, however they will not allow someone to enter who does not have the proper documentation to return, so by default they require visitors to have a passport. The US issues special passport cards that are only valid for land crossings between Canada and Mexico. I imagine a cruise would count as a land crossing. If you are flying there you will still need to present a regular one.

I’m originally from Northern Vermont about 20 miles from the border, and it was a pretty big deal when the passport law went into effect. A lot of people there go back and forth a lot and most of them didn’t have passports. Border state politicians put some pressure on to delay implementation to give people like that more time to get them, but eventually they had to.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Xenoborg posted:

Whats the best to keep things passwords/CD keys/CC information secure but accessible?
Recently my Google account was accessed by a Chinese IP, and I want to see what I can do to prevent it happening again with something more important.

At the moment I mostly generate my passwords by banging randomly on the keyboard to get something like AI4ELN5EGO37NX13HEMA and then save it to a text file on my desktop and then copy and paste when I need something.

This strikes me as being pretty unsafe. I have heard about programs that can store/encrypt passwords and stuff, but I'm not sure which are legit and which are good.

Is there a problem with using sticky notes on your actual desk or just keeping papers with this info where it would be for your eyes only?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dudebro posted:

Is there a problem with using sticky notes on your actual desk or just keeping papers with this info where it would be for your eyes only?

Then he wouldn't be able to copy/paste.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Mostly wanting to be able to quickly use them with copy/paste. I'm also worried about key loggers and while it seems like they might be able to read the clipboard too, I still feel like its better the typing things out. That may be BS and its impossible or maybe c/p gives no extra protection.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Maytag posted:

This video was shot by junior high students (I think it was 1991) and shown on a local access State Cable television channel. There were no issues with using the music because it fell under educational use- and still should.

Fair use doesn't really work that way. It's not enough that the copyrighted works are being used in educational material, the use of the work itself has to be educational. For instance, if you were examining the chord structure of the song you could reproduce some of it. But you couldn't (say) have a still frame educationally stating "2 + 2 = 4" with 15 minutes of Metallica playing in the background.

I'd just claim fair use anyway. The worst-case scenario is getting a DMCA notice posted, and if that happens you can just pull the video or edit the offending parts.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maytag posted:

Copyright question!

YouTube is warning me that the songs are owned by UMG, Breeze, and EMI. What's the wording I need to send to you YouTube in case they give me poo poo?

When you distribute it through YouTube, you are using it for commercial purposes via ad-driven profit.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I'm trying to find a webpage I registered for months ago that allowed you to create random lists of text in bullet form that allowed for extreme nesting and categorization. It was fairly basic in its look and feel, but the technology behind it seemed fairly advanced. They claimed their web application was designed to function "the way your brain works". Seems like a bold statement, but it was a cool app.

I'm not even sure I received an email when I signed up, and I haven't used it in a while, but I'd love to get back into it, if I could only find it!

It's called WorkFlowy, and it's been a lifesaver for me. This and gmail are the tabs I keep open all the time now.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Golbez posted:

Oh. Huh. Did you actually leave the customs area of the destination port? (Keeping in mind I have no idea how any of this works)

Well, I walked into Canada and went sightseeing. I had to show identification (driver's license) to get back on the ship. I brought my birth certificate, too. I showed it when leaving and re-entering NY, but not Canada. If anyone is curious, call Carnival cruise lines and ask why you don't need a passport. I'm sure they'll know.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Well you got me baffled. The United States requires all people visiting or reentering to have a passport. Canada does not require passports to enter, however they will not allow someone to enter who does not have the proper documentation to return, so by default they require visitors to have a passport. The US issues special passport cards that are only valid for land crossings between Canada and Mexico. I imagine a cruise would count as a land crossing. If you are flying there you will still need to present a regular one.

I’m originally from Northern Vermont about 20 miles from the border, and it was a pretty big deal when the passport law went into effect. A lot of people there go back and forth a lot and most of them didn’t have passports. Border state politicians put some pressure on to delay implementation to give people like that more time to get them, but eventually they had to.

Sizzlechest posted:

Well, I walked into Canada and went sightseeing. I had to show identification (driver's license) to get back on the ship. I brought my birth certificate, too. I showed it when leaving and re-entering NY, but not Canada. If anyone is curious, call Carnival cruise lines and ask why you don't need a passport. I'm sure they'll know.

As I posted earlier, cruise ships have different rules.

http://worldcruiseholidays.com/passport-requirements-for-your-cruise-vacation/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Xenoborg posted:

Whats the best to keep things passwords/CD keys/CC information secure but accessible?
Recently my Google account was accessed by a Chinese IP, and I want to see what I can do to prevent it happening again with something more important.

At the moment I mostly generate my passwords by banging randomly on the keyboard to get something like AI4ELN5EGO37NX13HEMA and then save it to a text file on my desktop and then copy and paste when I need something.

This strikes me as being pretty unsafe. I have heard about programs that can store/encrypt passwords and stuff, but I'm not sure which are legit and which are good.

Try Keepass.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Maytag posted:

YouTube isn't an educational organization. Educational use doesn't apply to YouTube videos. Nevertheless, I'd write to YouTube and just explain the situation, see what they say.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maytag posted:

Copyright question!

Eh, not much you can do unless you can show that this video is still being used in classroons or on PBS or local access, which is doubtful for a 20-year-old video. Another way of making your case is to show that those songs are present in other videos that have not been tagged or taken down.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What is this cake called that I see sometimes at Chinese buffets? I've asked and "Chinese cake" was the answer I got. That did not google so well.

It's kind of a whipped frosting like layer on top and in the middle and it kind of has a coffee taste to it. Reminds me of tiramisu for some reason but it's been many years since I've had that.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 9, 2011

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Wagonburner posted:

What is this cake called that I see sometimes at Chinese buffets? I've asked and "Chinese cake" was the answer I got. That did not google so well.

It's kind of a whipped frosting like layer on top and in the middle and it kind of has a coffee taste to it. Reminds me of tiramisu for some reason but it's been many years since I've had that.

A google search for "Chinese buffet cake" suggests it may be "Mocha-flavored sheet cake". I don't know if that's specific enough for your needs, though.

Edit: If it's not, you might be able to get a more in-depth description from this cake maker in A/T.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

helopticor posted:

A google search for "Chinese buffet cake" suggests it may be "Mocha-flavored sheet cake". I don't know if that's specific enough for your needs, though.

haha 1st result too, I should have put buffet in there. "Chinese Cake" got me just as many thousands of different things as you'd think it would.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

TetsuoTW posted:

YouTube isn't an educational organization. Educational use doesn't apply to YouTube videos.

Negative. Fair use doctrine isn't decided purely on who's claiming it. An entirely non-profit university can't photocopy and distribute a copyrighted textbook even if it's 100% for legitimate educational purposes, and the most profit-oriented hedge fund can quote a line of that same textbook in their research if they want. Fair use, educational or otherwise, is a multi-prong test:

17 USC 107 posted:

...the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

-the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
-the nature of the copyrighted work;
-the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
-the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Does that sound kind of vague? It is. Copyright law is a relatively incoherent mess. But it is what it is, and simply because something is on Youtube doesn't mean it can't be fair use. Conversely, invoking "education" as a magic word doesn't mean it is fair use. I'm not a lawyer, but it seems unlikely that use of copyrighted music as an incidental soundtrack to a video - even an educational one - would hold up in a hypothetical lawsuit.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Who is this?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think it might be Helen Kane, although she was more of a 20s gal, and I'm not seeing the original image that pic came from.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Thank you very much for the responses. I won't go the "Well they're using the song too!" route, don't want to poo poo on anyone's parade. I'll try the fair use angle and if they insist, I guess I can try to reedit the videos at some point.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I don't know if it's the same for licenses in other states, but the bar where it says the state name at the top of a Florida driver's license comes in a few different colors. Mine is green, apparently the most common, but I've seen blue and red and even yellow. What do these different colors mean?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

silversiren posted:

I don't know if it's the same for licenses in other states, but the bar where it says the state name at the top of a Florida driver's license comes in a few different colors. Mine is green, apparently the most common, but I've seen blue and red and even yellow. What do these different colors mean?

Did a GIS for 'florida drivers license' and green seems to be a standard drivers license, yellow being a learners license, red being an ID card and blue being a commercial DL

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Is anyone here up on their Norse mythology?

I'm translating a book and in it they talk about Ymir. In it they say that Ymir was (non-specifically) born from the ginnungagap. Then because he was all alone for so long he let out a loud roar* which made lots of pools in the ginnungagap creating other frost giants. However I can't find any reference for this version in English, has anyone heard of this? According to stuff like wikipedia the frost giants are made from the sweat of Ymir.

*Just FYI I know Ymir means roar, but in the text they specifically call him 'Ymir' but use another word for roar, so I'm fairly certain I'm not mis-translating it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have a question about tipping. While I usually tip when I go to restaurants or when I order delivery or something like that. There are places that usually have tip jars where I never knew you traditionally tipped. For example, coffee shops like Starbucks or some carryout places will have a blank on the receipt for tips. I usually tip if I have any extra money left over at these places, but sometimes I don't because I can barely afford stuff as it is. It always makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat, but is it usually customary to tip at those sorts of places?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
I never tip at places like starbucks unless I have change or something. Tipping, in my experience (on both sides), is for the continuous service you get. A waiter/waitress spends 30+ minutes bringing you food, drinks, checking up on you, delegating with the kitchen if stuff needs to be fixed, bussing/cleaning the tables/clearing dishes. I also waitressed in the midwest where you got two bucks an hour because they expected you to get tips, barista's still got standard minimum wage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rolled Cabbage posted:

Is anyone here up on their Norse mythology?

I'm translating a book and in it they talk about Ymir. In it they say that Ymir was (non-specifically) born from the ginnungagap. Then because he was all alone for so long he let out a loud roar* which made lots of pools in the ginnungagap creating other frost giants. However I can't find any reference for this version in English, has anyone heard of this? According to stuff like wikipedia the frost giants are made from the sweat of Ymir.

*Just FYI I know Ymir means roar, but in the text they specifically call him 'Ymir' but use another word for roar, so I'm fairly certain I'm not mis-translating it.

What language is the book in? Is it itself a translation using other sources?

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What language is the book in? Is it itself a translation using other sources?

The book is in Japanese :japan: It's not a direct translation, (and they don't give any sources), but just a kind of summary to explain some aspects of the Norse creation myth which they use as part of their setting.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

blackguy32 posted:

I have a question about tipping. While I usually tip when I go to restaurants or when I order delivery or something like that. There are places that usually have tip jars where I never knew you traditionally tipped. For example, coffee shops like Starbucks or some carryout places will have a blank on the receipt for tips. I usually tip if I have any extra money left over at these places, but sometimes I don't because I can barely afford stuff as it is. It always makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat, but is it usually customary to tip at those sorts of places?

My feeling on it is... in a restaurant, you pay a pre-determined price for the food. The cook's performance is thus irrelevant - unless it's quite horrible and you can talk out of not paying, you're paying exactly that price. The wait staff's performance is very relevant, as they can go above and beyond the baseline price of the food. I might order a $10 dish and get amazing service that goes above and beyond her cut of that $10, and I want to recognize that. It is quite rare, though, that the quality of the food of a $10 dish would be awesome enough to want to recognize it. A good wait staff can really improve a mediocre meal (especially by communicating your concerns to the kitchen and management), whereas a bad wait staff can ruin a great one.

So, a barista. In this situation, he is primarily the cook, because he is not waiting on you. He makes the coffee. He delivers the coffee to you. You pay for the coffee, not the service, especially since there was no service - had he not brought the coffee to you (his only service) then you wouldn't even be receiving what you paid the baseline for. I see no reason to tip in this situation, as not only has there been nothing warranting any 'above and beyond' payment, but there's no possibility for it whatsoever.

And, personally: If you want to screw your wait staff out of a great tip, force a certain percentage. I can assure you they will not receive a single penny above it. If you're going to make tipping optional (i.e. not built in to the price), then live up to that. If you're afraid they aren't going to get tipped, and it matters that much, then be honest and raise the rates for food for a large party. I've never been one but I have a feeling the wait staff would rather get stiffed on a single eight-top than eight singles.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
Tipping is something you're never going to get a consensus on, especially here. I tip at Starbucks and places like that because I know what it's like to work in customer service. They get treated like poo poo for maybe a little over minimum wage. The least you can do is throw a dollar in their tip jar. Especially if it's a place you go to a lot. I never get charged full price for my coffee anymore, though, so it evens out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The tip jar at Starbucks and the like are where I dump my coins form my change if I don't feel like dealing with it.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Why do I seem to notice other women more when I'm in a relationship? Even when I'm happy with my girlfriend, I have more interest in ALL women. I'll never cheat, but what the gently caress?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
What are the dimensions of a standard dorm room desk?

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

KittenofDoom posted:

Why do I seem to notice other women more when I'm in a relationship? Even when I'm happy with my girlfriend, I have more interest in ALL women. I'll never cheat, but what the gently caress?

Do you feel significantly more confident and sexually attractive when you're in a relationship?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Not really, it's more the same feeling I get when I sit still for too long or settle into a new job. I love what I have but an annoying part of me craves variety. I tend to get caught up in "What Ifs" a lot.

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet
But you don't get caught up in those "what ifs" when you're single?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I always fantasize a bit, but I seem to have a longing feeling for the women around me that isn't as prevalent when I'm single. The feeling goes from "Oh that would be nice" to "She belongs on my balls".

This doesn't occur during non-relationship sex, just when I'm actually "with" somebody.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

KittenofDoom posted:

I always fantasize a bit, but I seem to have a longing feeling for the women around me that isn't as prevalent when I'm single. The feeling goes from "Oh that would be nice" to "She belongs on my balls".

This doesn't occur during non-relationship sex, just when I'm actually "with" somebody.

You just want what you can't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Rolled Cabbage posted:

The book is in Japanese :japan: It's not a direct translation, (and they don't give any sources), but just a kind of summary to explain some aspects of the Norse creation myth which they use as part of their setting.

Unless you can find the source they've used, disregard it. You're translating a translation, probably itself from a translation. I'm no Norse scholar but have had a few really good mythology courses over the years and done some reading on my own and have never heard it. I'd assume they either researched poorly or changed the story a bit for effect. "He was sooooo lonely!"

Golbez posted:

So, a barista. In this situation, he is primarily the cook, because he is not waiting on you. He makes the coffee. He delivers the coffee to you. You pay for the coffee, not the service, especially since there was no service - had he not brought the coffee to you (his only service) then you wouldn't even be receiving what you paid the baseline for. I see no reason to tip in this situation, as not only has there been nothing warranting any 'above and beyond' payment, but there's no possibility for it whatsoever.

Thanks Buscemi. I tip if the person behind the counter is especially friendly and interested in the inane poo poo I like to say. Compare the vivacity of a grocery store clerk to a barista some time.