Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

So today I finally got my copy of RVIVR's debut LP. It's printed on one of those covers that just folds over the record, as apposed to a sleeve (ala some 7 inch covers). I opened the cover, and on the inside is the front and back covers of Modest Mouse's The Fruit That Ate Itself. I guess they just reused old covers they had lying around and printed their stuff on the inside. I would post pics but I don't have plat, so I hope that made some sort of sense.

Extremely common in the diy (pop)punk/hxc/skramz community. Saves a lot of money and it goes without saying but: diy or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Extremely common in the diy (pop)punk/hxc/skramz community. Saves a lot of money and it goes without saying but: diy or die.

I figured as much, I just found it kinda awesome because I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan. My friend's was the same way, so I guess they just had a lot of copies of The Fruit That Ate Itself lying around.

e: while I'm thinking about it, can any Boston goons tell me what good record stores are in the city? I'll be up there for college. I've already been to Newbury Comics (which was boring) if that helps.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 3, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Carl FTWinslow posted:

Gordon Solie Motherfuckers' 10" "Powerbomb Anthems Vol 1" limited to 100 edition is just the regular printing torn inside out, screened with an alt back/front, hand numbered, and reglued. I love Cleveland.

Front is "I just wanted to suck some dick and have someone punch my oval office is that too much to ask?" with a dead woman stabbed in the head in a fridge and back is the "Smile you fuckin' retard." Did I mention, that I love Cleveland..

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LtTennisBall posted:

I figured as much, I just found it kinda awesome because I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan. My friend's was the same way, so I guess they just had a lot of copies of The Fruit That Ate Itself lying around.

e: while I'm thinking about it, can any Boston goons tell me what good record stores are in the city? I'll be up there for college. I've already been to Newbury Comics (which was boring) if that helps.

Just a heads up, there's more than one Newbury Comics, of the ones I've been to the one in Harvard Square seems to have the best vinyl section. But anyway a few places you might want to check out are In Your Ear, Looney Tunes, Nuggets(kind of overpriced), and the Armaggedon Shop. There's some new place in Somerville, that someone here posted about. But I'm not sure if it's open because I haven't been there yet.

Oh and there's a shop in Harvard Square which may be of interest to any vinyl people. I think it's called Stereo Lab. They have all kinds of audio stuff. It's in the same building as the Harvard Square Newbury Comics.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

Just a heads up, there's more than one Newbury Comics, of the ones I've been to the one in Harvard Square seems to have the best vinyl section. But anyway a few places you might want to check out are In Your Ear, Looney Tunes, Nuggets(kind of overpriced), and the Armaggedon Shop. There's some new place in Somerville, that someone here posted about. But I'm not sure if it's open because I haven't been there yet.

Oh and there's a shop in Harvard Square which may be of interest to any vinyl people. I think it's called Stereo Lab. They have all kinds of audio stuff. It's in the same building as the Harvard Square Newbury Comics.

Cool. The Newbury Comics I went to was the original one on Newbury St., and it had a good new vinyl selection. I just really enjoy digging through used stuff so in that area it was a disappointment.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

There's some new place in Somerville, that someone here posted about. But I'm not sure if it's open because I haven't been there yet.

It's called Audio Lab, not stereo lab...that's a band ;) It's sort of an audiophiles wet dream kind of shop.

Somerville Grooves in Union is going to have some sporadic hours this Friday and Saturday, with an official opening on the 14th. Also Planet Records in Harvard Sq. across from Redline/Wagamama on JFK is good for used stuff - better prices than Nuggets.

LtTennisBall posted:

Which college out of curiosity? Former Northeastern kid, here.

Cheapo Records in Central is decent as well as Weirdo Records (although Weirdo has a really eclectic kind of theme going on). The Newbury St. Newbury comics is actually pretty decent for used but the Harvard Sq one has a slightly better "new" section. Outside the city though there's not much vinyl at other Newbies though, but you probably won't care unless you find yourself stranded in the burbs.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

Which college out of curiosity? Former Northeastern kid, here.

Cheapo Records in Central is decent as well as Weirdo Records (although Weirdo has a really eclectic kind of theme going on). The Newbury St. Newbury comics is actually pretty decent for used but the Harvard Sq one has a slightly better "new" section. Outside the city though there's not much vinyl at other Newbies though, but you probably won't care unless you find yourself stranded in the burbs. There's a place called In Your Ears off comm ave near BU but I haven't been there yet - heard good things though.
BU, so I guess I'll be checking out In Your Ears.

e: and the one time I was at Newbury Comics, all they had were like some used Aerosmith records and other classic rock stuff. I did find a cool 12 inch Love Will Tear Us Apart repress, but that was new. Seems to me (from generally scoping it out) that BU is fairly centrally located when it comes to record stores/venues, so I'm looking forward to spending far too much money on old pieces of plastic.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 4, 2011

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

1000 umbrellas posted:

Glad to hear people are getting their Conveyor records safely (and that you're digging the music!). The locked groove was my touch; I'm into it.

Checking in to say that copy 101 arrived safely in Perth.

I love the music and the locked groove, but I really appreciated the note, it was a real :3: moment. Anyway, Australian law pretty much prohibits me from exporting food, so although I can't send you any roo meat, I thought you might appreciate this:

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
30% off Insound's vinyl overstock. Act fast to get some killer records at impossible-to-beat prices.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Ron Burgundy posted:

Please post more pics of your record collection with kangaroos (and maybe a koala if you have them around) in frame. Thanks in advance.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

fozzie dunlop posted:

30% off Insound's vinyl overstock. Act fast to get some killer records at impossible-to-beat prices.

I dunno if this is the right place for advertising your work, searching similar prices shows that lots of online stores have those prices pre-shipping, and 2$ more shipped, so they're also not "impossible to beat." If you only have those prices at a 30% off sale then most of the time the rest of the internet is cheaper, let alone finding used or whatever in store locally. Local shopping also supports your local record store.

I am not a mod nor owner of the thread, but usually people just post about records they get.

I have no problem with online shopping, I do it for getting stuff from spain/UK/japan, but try to find local distributors first.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Ron Burgundy posted:

Checking in to say that copy 101 arrived safely in Perth.

I love the music and the locked groove, but I really appreciated the note, it was a real :3: moment. Anyway, Australian law pretty much prohibits me from exporting food, so although I can't send you any roo meat, I thought you might appreciate this:

This is my singular, proudest achievement! Thank you for this picture!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Tiny Faye posted:

Cheapo Records in Central is decent as well as Weirdo Records (although Weirdo has a really eclectic kind of theme going on). The Newbury St. Newbury comics is actually pretty decent for used but the Harvard Sq one has a slightly better "new" section. Outside the city though there's not much vinyl at other Newbies though, but you probably won't care unless you find yourself stranded in the burbs.

I wasn't aware of Cheapo or Weirdo. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the look out for those places next time I'm in the area.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I haven't got much of a collection yet, but I realized the other day that I have a pretty cool set of releases from local sludgemasters Haggatha:

Clockwise from top left: Haggatha I mega-EP grey splatter, 2009 Kill Bomb Records - Haggatha II LP 180 gram, 2010 Ennui Records - Haggatha III EP clear splatter, 2011 Choking Hazard Records.

Anyone into doom or sludge metal should check these dudes out; they tear it up, especially live.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Not an Anthem posted:

I dunno if this is the right place for advertising your work, searching similar prices shows that lots of online stores have those prices pre-shipping, and 2$ more shipped, so they're also not "impossible to beat." If you only have those prices at a 30% off sale then most of the time the rest of the internet is cheaper, let alone finding used or whatever in store locally. Local shopping also supports your local record store.

I am not a mod nor owner of the thread, but usually people just post about records they get.

I have no problem with online shopping, I do it for getting stuff from spain/UK/japan, but try to find local distributors first.

Sorry, I just figured that those into buying vinyl records would want to know about the weekly deals we have going on, I always try and make an effort to not clog up the thread too much. And yeah the prices might be beatable by other retailers, but where else can you get a mint-condition record, still in shrinkwrap, packed with the utmost love and care sent directly to your door for that low of a price? :3:

But seriously dudes, support your local record store. They probably need the money more than we do.

Juaguocio posted:

I haven't got much of a collection yet, but I realized the other day that I have a pretty cool set of releases from local sludgemasters Haggatha:

oh my god these guys are amazing. Thanks for the rec, dude!

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Yeah I really have no problem with the Insound dudes popping in here to say there's a sale once in awhile and I live near tons of local shops. Let's not forget that most of America does not have the good fortune of living near a store that sells physical music that isn't a big box retailer like Target, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy, let alone one that sells vinyl - even harder to find a record store that actually sells *new* vinyl. And if I have the choice between Amazon and Insound I much rather give my money to a bunch of hipster rear end music nerds in Brooklyn who love music as much as I do. Plus they sometimes have specials and exclusives that you can't get from big A.

But yeah - local first makes the world go round and your community a better place.

fozzie dunlop posted:

oh my god these guys are amazing. Thanks for the rec, dude!

Alright I need more sludge doom in my life. Gonna investigate when I get home.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Finally broke down and bought † and Civilization by Justice. I was lucky enough to get a signed poster with the single.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dmitri-9 posted:

Finally broke down and bought † and Civilization by Justice. I was lucky enough to get a signed poster with the single.

Where'd you get it? I've been meaning to pick those up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So the [Pias] warehouse was burned to the ground in the riots in England.

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Holy poo poo that's terrible. :ohdear:

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Inspector_71 posted:

Apparently some of the labels they did distribution for are reporting 90%+ loss of their stock and it may actually put some of them under.

I read about that but I didn't know that it was that serious. That's really loving awful.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Jesus that is horrible. What a loving mess...

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Ghumbs posted:

Where'd you get it? I've been meaning to pick those up.

A record store in CT called Redscroll Records. I don't know if they have another copy of Cross but you can probably get it on ebay or discogs for the same price. It's probably gonna run you $25-30 no matter where you go.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

A record store in CT called Redscroll Records. I don't know if they have another copy of Cross but you can probably get it on ebay or discogs for the same price. It's probably gonna run you $25-30 no matter where you go.
Ha! Redscroll is co-owned by one of the guys that works at my old college station. I was there opening day and have a sweet shirt to show for it. Good store

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Inspector_71 posted:

Jesus, that loving bites. Seeing photos of people's businesses that you could tell they owned/operated themselves looted and burned was heartbreaking.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Inspector_71 posted:

Heard about this today, and I really hope they'll be able to make a recovery somehow. What a drat shame. :(

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
There is good report on pitchfork about this, they have quotes from the label heads and damage estimates. How can they find who is responsible for this? and why?

http://pitchfork.com/news/43478-labels-react-to-sonypias-warehouse-fire/

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

screaden posted:

There is good report on pitchfork about this, they have quotes from the label heads and damage estimates. How can they find who is responsible for this? and why?

Is this a joke?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

screaden posted:

http://pitchfork.com/news/43478-labels-react-to-sonypias-warehouse-fire/

You, ahhh, don't read the news much, eh?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Inspector_71 posted:

Goddamn, what a terrible, tremendous loss for everyone involved in each of those labels. Major suckage :(

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
I'm at my parents house this week visiting and I ended up helping my mom sort through a bunch of old boxes of records from the family. Mostly garbage 78s, falling apart and scratched to crap. The only thing I might take for myself is a semi decent quality Hank Williams 45, but I did find a few curious things I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any opinions.
First off I found a cool old Edison disc, no label just etched. Totally scratched to hell, but not like I have a needle to play this old beast with anyways. Two Larks(Th. Leschentizky) b/w Prelude&Butterfly(Andre Benoist).

And then a bunch of old school jingles. These I have no idea about, they all have very short play time and look like they would play fine. 3 from Rockhill Recording in NYC, and one b&c recording.
10" 78rpm "Facsimile of 1-minute Lincoln-Mercury commercial on WCBS, New York"
12" 78rpm "Weather Jingles with 7 cuts for Snow/Rain/Fair/Cloudy/Cold/Heat"
12" 33rpm(shellac) " Budweiser Box Score"
10" 78rpm(b&c label) "Football Jingles 3 cuts" (there is WCBS 7/9/53 scratched out on the bottom of the label)

Unfortunately my parents TT is busted, so I can't listen to any of them.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
Here's the jewel of my collection.

I came about this record in an interesting way.

It's clearly signed by Maurice Westfield of the Ray Charles Band, who sat in on the original recording of "Porgy and Bess."

I got this record from a box of 50 randoms from ebay for 30 bucks. The package arrived as I was heading out to work, so I took it with me. While in my cubicle, I began thumbing through them. I quickly found this one, and then saw that a lot of the records had punch labels on them that said simply "Maurice." I later found out that they were his personal record collection that he was selling on ebay and I happened to get the one with the signed Porgy and Bess.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So I ordered that Flaming Lips coloured box set ages ago. Never got anything. Asked for a replacement. They say they sent a replacement. Never got it. Now I'm getting a refund...

gently caress you Warner Brothers records.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

More Sarah singles

Not just indie pop but also angry Scottish tax protest.

The Orchids - Underneath The Window, Underneath The Sink
The Orchids - What Will We Do Next?
The Orchids - Something For The Longing
Heavenly - I Fell In Love Last Night / Over And Over
Heavenly - Atta Girl

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Elrobot posted:

First off I found a cool old Edison disc, no label just etched. Totally scratched to hell, but not like I have a needle to play this old beast with anyways.
You will unfortunately also need a special cartridge to play this one back. Edison cut discs that used an up and down (hill and dale) motion rather than side to side modulation.

Elrobot posted:

And then a bunch of old school jingles. These I have no idea about, they all have very short play time and look like they would play fine. 3 from Rockhill Recording in NYC, and one b&c recording.
10" 78rpm "Facsimile of 1-minute Lincoln-Mercury commercial on WCBS, New York"
12" 78rpm "Weather Jingles with 7 cuts for Snow/Rain/Fair/Cloudy/Cold/Heat"
12" 33rpm(shellac) " Budweiser Box Score"
10" 78rpm(b&c label) "Football Jingles 3 cuts" (there is WCBS 7/9/53 scratched out on the bottom of the label)

These are incredibly rare, and should be transferred to another medium for posterity, and the originals stored properly. Most of this stuff was junked when it was no longer needed.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

midge posted:

Is this a joke?

I guess I phrased that badly, I am well aware of what's going on over there. I was more talking about placing the culpability for what happened, down to a single person/group

Which in retrospect, is a pretty naive question.

I was more interested in the label heads saying their entire stock had been wiped out

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

fozzie dunlop posted:

Heard about this today, and I really hope they'll be able to make a recovery somehow. What a drat shame. :(

Well here's some good(ish) news:

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/58582

Apparently there's already a £250,000 relief fund in order for the labels to get back on their feet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So I'm guessing they hadn't seen fit to insure the stuff properly? (Not that insurance companies ever pay up...)

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Found a whole bunch of David Bowie albums in really good shape for 50c each:

Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, Lodger, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance, David Live, and this weird album on green vinyl, David Bowie Narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Funny how something shipped from the UK arrived quicker than a US record.

I ordered some limited edition vinyl of White Zombie singles, More Human than Human and Super Charger Heaven. The MHTH came in today and it is so awesome! :D White Zombie is what got me into metal and really shaped my life, so it's nice having these. I wanted to get Astro Creep 2000 as it was the first album I owned on CD but the blue vinyl is like, $200. Holding off on that for now.