Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

SimpleCoax posted:

Well, I just found out that Lion and Xcode 4.1 completely remove MPI. Hope macports will get me OpenMPI back easily enough. I'm getting really concerned about Apple's idea for the future of its professional user base. Not just with this little MPI removal, but the other signs that they're shifting focus. I don't want to have to wind up stuck with just Linux down the road.

Why in the world would they do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Ziir posted:

Why in the world would they do that?

No clue. Now macports has an error with OpenMPI. Heinous. edit: found this http://www.compmath.com/blog/2011/08/installing-rmpi-with-openmpi-on-mac-os-x-lion/

On another note, does anyone else have their computer stop and wait until their time machine drive spools up before some things will open? I mostly had this happen in Finder, and then opening files in Text Edit, but even Safari just did it to me. Lion isn't treating me very well so far.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 9, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Apple still sell Leopard that I can install on a MDD G4? I want to set up a dedicated machine for my SCSI 35mm scanner and I've got this MDD dual 1.4 sitting around collecting dust. I'd love to clean install it but I don't have my Leopard media anymore, and haven't had them for quite some time.

Is Craigslist/eBay my only hope now? Apple store still sells 10.6 but doesn't seem to go back further.

e: Actually it looks like I might need to go back to 10.4. I think I'll just scrap this idea and go with VueScan on a Linux machine instead, nevermind :(

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 9, 2011

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Martytoof posted:

Is there any way to get 10.7 Mail to integrate COMPLETELY with Gmail?

Like for example, now when I right click on a message and tell it to "Archive", when I look at the Gmail web UI it puts the message into a folder called [Imap]/Archive. If I draft a message, it gets put into [Imap]/Drafts instead of Gmail's "drafts".

... actually, that's pretty much my only two gripes. I can understand if the Drafts thing isn't possible to integrate, but is there any way to get the "Archive" function to not put mail into the [Imap]/Archive folder, and instead just mark it unread and hide it form the "inbox"?

I don't think I'm articulating this the best way, so hopefully someone knows what I'm trying to get at.

This wouldn't bother me so much if I didn't still use the Web UI on campus and I have a thing against extraneous folders where I don't need them.

e: I guess by "folders" I mean "labels" in gmail's case.

e2: Oh, also "Deleted Messages" (where Mail puts its trash) vs Gmail native "Trash"

You can define the destination of (some of the) Mail.app default actions by highlighting the mailbox on the left pane, then going to "Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For..." in the menu bar. For example, I selected "Gmail/All Mail" and used it for "Trash", so now I can trash an email in Mail.app and it'll behave exactly as if I'd clicked the "Archive" button in Gmail.

I don't see an option to use a mailbox for "archives", though, otherwise I'd bind this behavior to Mail.app's archive button. Drafts and Junk work just fine.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of God, don't let Mail.app delete your trash every month if you do this! Accounts > Gmail > Mailbox Behaviors should look like this:

You know what, I don't like that I've effectively become one of those people who stores all of his important mail in the trash. If anything ever emptied my trash on my laptop, the changes would sync over IMAP and delete everything on Gmail. I'm going to look for a better solution.

EDIT EDIT: Okay, don't use "All Mail" as Trash because that's a terrible idea, but go ahead and switch junk and drafts and use Gmail's trash as Mail.app's trash. That's just one extraneous folder instead of three, and everything in IMAP/Archive will still show up when you click on All Mail.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 10, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, thank you! Archive would be a great addition but this is more than sufficient to help clean up some folder creep.

I decided to forego the trash -> all mail solution for now though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Awesome, thank you! Archive would be a great addition but this is more than sufficient to help clean up some folder creep.

I decided to forego the trash -> all mail solution for now though.

Try the free Lite version of Sparrow for a bit. Seriously.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Martytoof posted:

Does Apple still sell Leopard that I can install on a MDD G4? I want to set up a dedicated machine for my SCSI 35mm scanner and I've got this MDD dual 1.4 sitting around collecting dust. I'd love to clean install it but I don't have my Leopard media anymore, and haven't had them for quite some time.

Is Craigslist/eBay my only hope now? Apple store still sells 10.6 but doesn't seem to go back further.

e: Actually it looks like I might need to go back to 10.4. I think I'll just scrap this idea and go with VueScan on a Linux machine instead, nevermind :(

As far as I know, nothing prior to 10.6 is officially sold (with 10.6 sales likely to end relatively soon I'm guessing too).

However, if you do really want 10.5 or 10.4 on there at some point, one thing you can try is taking it in to an Apple Store. Not too long back I found out that while they don't sell copies anymore, they still often keep copies of older OS X versions around, so that if customers do come in with older PPC Macs, they can re-install the OS if necessary. It may vary by store, but I do know a couple of the stores in the Phoenix area had copies of 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 on hand (don't know if they had anything older).

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Although I'm not going to install Lion until it gets some serious patching I realized my Macbook Pro only has 1 gig of RAM so I'm getting a couple of 2 gig chips today. I didn't know about the Core 2 Duo requirement until yesterday so I was relieved so see I have a 2.16 C2D, probably one of the first MBP models that had one.

I'm looking forward to upgrading when things are not such a mess. My Mac experience started with the Lisa so there's something cool about keeping up with the latest version of the OS.

Be sure your computer can handle it. The first generation Core 2 Duo computers (I think the 2.16 is one) can only use 3GB of memory. You can throw 4GB in there, it's just not going to be able to recognize it all. It's a chipset limitation, I believe.

Fire up System Information and see if it's 2x512MB or 1x1GB. If it's the latter, save yourself the money and grab just one 2GB stick.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

SimpleCoax posted:

On another note, does anyone else have their computer stop and wait until their time machine drive spools up before some things will open? I mostly had this happen in Finder, and then opening files in Text Edit, but even Safari just did it to me. Lion isn't treating me very well so far.

Yes, but it happened in 10.6 too. Seems to happen less now.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

Tard Helmets posted:

Yes, but it happened in 10.6 too. Seems to happen less now.

Hmm, I never noticed it in 10.6. I thought it had something to do with whatever these "locked" files are for time machine. A lot of files I was opening were locked and I think it needs to read the time machine disk for some reason. I changed the lock setting in time machine to one year and I think it may have helped.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Make sure to uncheck 'Put the disk(s) to sleep when possible' in Energy Saver.

Doing so cured all of my external HD woes.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Try the free Lite version of Sparrow for a bit. Seriously.

Seconding this. If you use GMail, Sparrow is just a better app than Mail.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
A Quick cross post:

I'm in need of feed back for my Window Management app "Display Maid" so I started my own thread with promo codes begging for feedback and Mac App Store reviews.

Other Thread posted:

Display Maid is an app that saves and restores window sizes and positions, mainly for MacBook (air/pro) users who have an external display and are frustrated when they unplug that display and all their windows get randomly thrown about on their main display.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430331

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
In case this helps anyone down the road, I got Sparrow to not constantly crash on start by purging the cache directory (/User/Library/Application Data/Sparrow/*) and now it launches without falling on its face anymore! :toot:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ndrake posted:

I set up Mail.app (new Mail/ Lion) with a gmail account. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... but how do I make it behave exactly like my iPad? I only want 30 days or 3 months or some predefined amount of time's archived emails to be downloaded, and the rest just wait for me on the server in case I search. When I used the account it downloaded my entire 2 gigs of email; I don't want to waste space.
Not sure about saving an x period of mail, but if it has similar settings to the 10.6 one you might be able to download the message list only, and load mails as you read them. In 10.6 it was Accounts -> Advanced and something about downloading messages. If that's set to "don't download any" or something, it'll only download/cache the message list.

(But that could be gone in 10.7 for all I know :doh:)

unruly posted:

Yes, there are bugs and edge cases where this isn't going to work perfectly. Those rules can be tweaked, interfaces can change (I agree with some of the commenters that the icon should stay in the cmd-tab/dock for a bit -- perhaps fade out?). The thing that irks me though is when people whine and complain about 'the new' without really understanding the focus behind it.
I'm pretty sure that would fix his complaint. The main problem in his case seems to be that the app termination is actively messing with his workflow, and taking it out of the switcher/dock is the only part that's actually doing so (assuming auto save and resume are working properly). It's a feature that should be invisible for people like him, but instead it's right in his face.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

smax posted:

Be sure your computer can handle it. The first generation Core 2 Duo computers (I think the 2.16 is one) can only use 3GB of memory. You can throw 4GB in there, it's just not going to be able to recognize it all. It's a chipset limitation, I believe.

Fire up System Information and see if it's 2x512MB or 1x1GB. If it's the latter, save yourself the money and grab just one 2GB stick.

I was already aware of this but with RAM so cheap I decided I'd sacrifice a gig to gain a gig. This MBP cost me $1 so another $45 doesn't bother me much.

Morven
Aug 8, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I was already aware of this but with RAM so cheap I decided I'd sacrifice a gig to gain a gig. This MBP cost me $1 so another $45 doesn't bother me much.

I heard, anyway, that it was smarter to do this because the matched RAM sizes enable faster transfer modes, even if you waste a gig. Haven't verified it myself, but I've seen this from multiple sources.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This might be useful for some of you: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

quote:

The Lion Recovery Disk Assistant lets you create Lion Recovery on an external drive that has all of the same capabilities as the built-in Lion Recovery: reinstall Lion, repair the disk using Disk Utility, restore from a Time Machine backup, or browse the web with Safari.
More info here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848

edit: Seeing a few posts elsewhere saying this doesn't seem to work if you have a FileVault encrypted volume, at least at the time of this post.

japtor fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 10, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I've got a few things installed that say they support growl, but none of them are getting registered with it, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sparrow Lite, Twitter, Adium... none of these show up under Growl Applications. I downloaded The Simplest Notifier Evar, and that did work, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the rest work.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

SimpleCoax posted:

Well, I just found out that Lion and Xcode 4.1 completely remove MPI. Hope macports will get me OpenMPI back easily enough. I'm getting really concerned about Apple's idea for the future of its professional user base. Not just with this little MPI removal, but the other signs that they're shifting focus. I don't want to have to wind up stuck with just Linux down the road.

Homebrew has open-mpi. Stop using MacPorts and/or Fink, they are loving awful.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

Stop using MacPorts and/or Fink, they are loving awful.

Why?

Or more specifically, how are they awful?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
They're awful because they don't use any application already included with OS X (You want irssi? Let's download and compile our own version of Perl for an hour). This can waste a lot of space.

The other big problem is they have only certain people in charge of updating packages. With Homebrew, everyone can submit a formula, and the author updates Homebrew all the time. If you need to wrie a formula, it's really easy even if you haven't seen Ruby.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Is there a way to make the flag black/white like all my other icons? I know a lot of flags look similar which could get confusing but I only have two input languages.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did Apple break iCal Alarm Automator in Lion? I've been trying to make one for 20 minutes and it's not working at all.

e: Oh great now it works the second after I post.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 10, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

toxick posted:

Seconding this. If you use GMail, Sparrow is just a better app than Mail.

I was using Sparrow, but I just switched to Lion Mail because Sparrow doesn't have an "All Mail" view for browsing Archived mail, as far as I can see. Am I missing something?

Cockwhore
Jul 10, 2005
a quintessence of dust

Anal Volcano posted:

I was using Sparrow, but I just switched to Lion Mail because Sparrow doesn't have an "All Mail" view for browsing Archived mail, as far as I can see. Am I missing something?
You mean this?
https://skitch.com/kilgoretrout/fqxpr/screen-shot-2011-08-10-at-12.49.06-pm

Looking at it, I can see my "gmail is different!" email from google dating June 2004.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Cockwhore posted:

You mean this?
https://skitch.com/kilgoretrout/fqxpr/screen-shot-2011-08-10-at-12.49.06-pm

Looking at it, I can see my "gmail is different!" email from google dating June 2004.

:monocle:

Weird that they hid it down in the labels (which I never use, since I don't get a lot of email). Thanks for the tip!

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

wolffenstein posted:

They're awful because they don't use any application already included with OS X (You want irssi? Let's download and compile our own version of Perl for an hour). This can waste a lot of space.

The other big problem is they have only certain people in charge of updating packages. With Homebrew, everyone can submit a formula, and the author updates Homebrew all the time. If you need to wrie a formula, it's really easy even if you haven't seen Ruby.
This. Homebrew takes the approach of not building EVERYTHING and using stock applications/libraries when possible *SHOCK*.

Plus, building your own brew is quite easy. Just write a ruby script describing the install process (or just copy someone else's) then run: brew install /path/to/script.rb

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

japtor posted:

Not sure about saving an x period of mail, but if it has similar settings to the 10.6 one you might be able to download the message list only, and load mails as you read them. In 10.6 it was Accounts -> Advanced and something about downloading messages. If that's set to "don't download any" or something, it'll only download/cache the message list.

(But that could be gone in 10.7 for all I know :doh:)

I'm pretty sure that would fix his complaint. The main problem in his case seems to be that the app termination is actively messing with his workflow, and taking it out of the switcher/dock is the only part that's actually doing so (assuming auto save and resume are working properly). It's a feature that should be invisible for people like him, but instead it's right in his face.

It would seem the vast majority of people keep their apps in the dock or would now use Mission Control, so the relatively low number of power user edge cases didn't crop up as important enough to affect CMD+TAB. I'd expect this to be patched in a couple of point releases' time though.

Anal Volcano posted:

:monocle:

Weird that they hid it down in the labels (which I never use, since I don't get a lot of email). Thanks for the tip!

It's hidden in the labels because it is a label.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

brc64 posted:

I've got a few things installed that say they support growl, but none of them are getting registered with it, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Sparrow Lite, Twitter, Adium... none of these show up under Growl Applications. I downloaded The Simplest Notifier Evar, and that did work, so I'm at a loss as to how to make the rest work.
Aside from possibly being the wrong place to ask, I figured it out. Apps that I had running when I installed Growl don't register themselves until after I close and reopen them. So ignore me. I'm still in excited newbie mode.

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

Martytoof posted:

Why?

Or more specifically, how are they awful?

They are literal ports of Gentoo Ports or the dpkg system and all the poo poo that comes with it. As stated they require their own compiled versions of apps, so installing one installs a huge chain that isn't necessary. Also the dpkg system is just loving awful. Resolving a chain of dependencies is generally nightmare both installing and uninstalling. More often than not when I'm helping someone with some bizarre OSS issue I ask 'do you have MacPorts/Fink' and the answer is usually 'yes'. Removing MacPorts/Fink and using the Homebrew version always does the trick.

As stated Homebrew is built specifically for OSX. That means it uses the /usr/local structure that was designated for this sort of thing. Homebrew will never compete with OSX provided anything and will link against OSX provided libraries instead of having a huge chain of cross compiling that sends things into dependency hell like Ports.

Finally it's just a whole lot simpler. People generally migrate from Windows or Linux to OSX simply because the OS structure and UI is a lot cleaner. Homebrew follows that idea and is a whole lot simpler and less error prone.

tl;dr Use Homebrew, don't think about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SourKraut posted:

:words:

NotShadowStar posted:

:words:

Both good reasons. I hope you didn't think I was being trolly when I asked why, I just didn't know what was so bad about them. They seem to get fairly widespread usage and I used them up until 10.7. Now that I know I might give Homebrew a try once I find something I need.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

NotShadowStar posted:

They are literal ports of Gentoo Ports or the dpkg system and all the poo poo that comes with it. As stated they require their own compiled versions of apps, so installing one installs a huge chain that isn't necessary. Also the dpkg system is just loving awful. Resolving a chain of dependencies is generally nightmare both installing and uninstalling. More often than not when I'm helping someone with some bizarre OSS issue I ask 'do you have MacPorts/Fink' and the answer is usually 'yes'. Removing MacPorts/Fink and using the Homebrew version always does the trick.

As stated Homebrew is built specifically for OSX. That means it uses the /usr/local structure that was designated for this sort of thing. Homebrew will never compete with OSX provided anything and will link against OSX provided libraries instead of having a huge chain of cross compiling that sends things into dependency hell like Ports.

Finally it's just a whole lot simpler. People generally migrate from Windows or Linux to OSX simply because the OS structure and UI is a lot cleaner. Homebrew follows that idea and is a whole lot simpler and less error prone.

tl;dr Use Homebrew, don't think about it.
Just a caveat. There are some duplicates in Homebrew that compete with various system-provided items, but they have a policy against doing that if at all possible. There is actually even a Homebrew-alt repo basically full of system tools that have been updated, in case you need them (like rsync, or samba).

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

unruly posted:

Just a caveat. There are some duplicates in Homebrew that compete with various system-provided items, but they have a policy against doing that if at all possible. There is actually even a Homebrew-alt repo basically full of system tools that have been updated, in case you need them (like rsync, or samba).

This is true, and sometimes necessary because the Apple provided library can potentially be buggy or very out of date, but it's a very rare case.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

NotShadowStar posted:

They are literal ports of Gentoo Ports or the dpkg system and all the poo poo that comes with it.

MacPorts is a bit more closely related to the BSD ports system (I consider that a little more respectable than Portage).

unruly posted:

This. Homebrew takes the approach of not building EVERYTHING and using stock applications/libraries when possible *SHOCK*.

For what it's worth, a large part of the reasoning behind this was that from OS X release to OS X release (sometimes even SU to SU!) you couldn't guarantee which versions of which tools would be around. For a little while Fink could be made to use the existing tools/libraries, but things often broke when perl versions changed or specific tools disappeared.

Probably less of an issue now.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf
Ok, I'm going to try Homebrew. Thanks for the explanations.

edit: How well does gcc do in Homebrew? The entire reason I even use MacPorts is for fortran.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 10, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's a good, free timer for Snow Leopard?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Timer or Chimoo Timer.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

SimpleCoax posted:

Ok, I'm going to try Homebrew. Thanks for the explanations.

edit: How well does gcc do in Homebrew? The entire reason I even use MacPorts is for fortran.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'well'?

In the homebrew repo, there is gfortran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I use Minutes and enable dev mode for Dashboard if I need to see it outside the Dashboard layer.