Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Okay more terrible MBP questions

Let's assume I pimp out an 15" with an SSD and hi-res and that stuff. Shooting myself in the foot if I want to try to resell it before the inevitable MBP revision? Does the Ebay market realize SSD and hi-res add a few hundred dollars, and do they even want those bells and whistles? I always imagine Ebay macbooks are bargain hunted by parents for their college kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'd probably be better off selling the SSD separately.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd probably be better off selling the SSD separately.

Well I'd be using the Apple SSD. Which means that would leave the MBP without a harddrive.

Or is the common trend to buy the SSD separately?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looked on the Apple site and it looks like the SSD upgrades are reasonable on the 15" MBP. I'd get it then for the peace of mind of Applecare covering everything.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

htabz posted:

Is there something up with the 27' Thunderbolt displays? Shows a 4-6 week ship time direct from apple, and there's none on ebay.
My wild guess is that new Mac Pros/Sandy Bridge chips will happen to be out in 4-6 weeks.

flyboi posted:

It's not a limitation of bootcamp, it's a limitation of Windows. And no, there is still no workaround and I doubt that Thunderbolt will address this issue.
It might be possible if Windows can boot off a PCIe SATA card, but no one will know until adapters/PCIe chassis come out to actually test it.

evensevenone posted:

Usually the monitor does it. Some monitors are better/worse at sniffing out the size of the image and scaling it correctly. Some displays are better/worse at producing signals the display likes. VGA is really messy because it was designed for CRTs.

Does the monitor have any adjustments for size? You might be able to stretch the image out to fill.

Otherwise going to DVI will pretty much be guaranteed to fix the problem. And it will look better.
This basically. I was confused how it was happening until I realized you were connecting through VGA. Most LCDs I've seen with VGA input have some auto configure option which (ideally) figures out the resolution it's getting fed and scales everything properly. If yours doesn't have this or isn't reading it/TB port isn't outputting right for whatever reason you'll have to scale manually if possible. You've probably tried this, but have you completely powered off and unplugged the display? It might get it to reset the settings it had from the previous computer...or some other computery mumbo jumbo.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Found a more reasonably priced Mac Mini bottom hard drive cable on powerbookmedic.com. Out of stock now, but it was $35 shipped.

Now I just need to figure out what SSD to put in.
In case anyone else is looking, someone on eBay is selling them too (ended up just over $35 shipped for me):
http://cgi.ebay.com/mac-mini-922-9560-Cable-Flex-Bottom-Hard-Drive-Server-/160634677387?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item256692a88b
I saw most places sold out, or one of the first places people noticed...which has apparently been slowly jacking up the price on the part since then. I think it was around $40 last I saw, along with $16 shipping or something ridiculous on top of that.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
This may be more of a software thing, I don't know, but some of the differences between the keyboard on my new MBA and the Windows keyboards I'm used to are starting to bug me. Things like the lack of Home and End keys (I've figured out that Command+Left and Command+Right seem to approximate this), but I haven't been able to figure out a way to do a Windows-style delete (delete the character to the right of the cursor, rather than backspace) yet. I never realized how often I used that.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
fn+delete

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

brc64 posted:

This may be more of a software thing, I don't know, but some of the differences between the keyboard on my new MBA and the Windows keyboards I'm used to are starting to bug me. Things like the lack of Home and End keys (I've figured out that Command+Left and Command+Right seem to approximate this), but I haven't been able to figure out a way to do a Windows-style delete (delete the character to the right of the cursor, rather than backspace) yet. I never realized how often I used that.

Cmd+Up and Cmd+Down do Home and End, left and right move to the beginning or end of the current line.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ndrake posted:

fn+delete
Thanks.

Neurophonic posted:

Cmd+Up and Cmd+Down do Home and End, left and right move to the beginning or end of the current line.
This... is actually more useful. In Windows, Home and End only go to the beginning and end of the line. Being able to instantly jump to the top and bottom is the equivalent of ctrl+home or ctrl+end (which I only just now realized exist). Neat!

Are there any super important keyboard shortcuts I need to know about?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

In case anyone else is looking, someone on eBay is selling them too (ended up just over $35 shipped for me):
http://cgi.ebay.com/mac-mini-922-9560-Cable-Flex-Bottom-Hard-Drive-Server-/160634677387?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item256692a88b
I saw most places sold out, or one of the first places people noticed...which has apparently been slowly jacking up the price on the part since then. I think it was around $40 last I saw, along with $16 shipping or something ridiculous on top of that.

Yeah, I had purchased one from MacPartsOnline for $56, then got the notification from powerbookmedic that they had the cable for $29. Canceled my order on MPO and my cable should be here in a few days. Now I just need to get an SSD.

As an aside, has anyone compared the 24" or 27" ACD's to the equivalent Dell side by side? I'm not terribly confident that Apple will be able to fix the issue with thunderbolt macs on the 24" ACD (as it's been around since the first thunderbolt Macbooks Pro,) so I'm considering just selling the ACD and picking up a U2412M (and a webcam, I guess.)

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Are the new Macbook Airs glossy or matte? They almost looked matte to me, compared to how glossy the MBPs I saw were. Maybe it was the lighting, I thought I read they were glossy.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Are the new Macbook Airs glossy or matte? They almost looked matte to me, compared to how glossy the MBPs I saw were. Maybe it was the lighting, I thought I read they were glossy.

I think they are technically glossy (definitely not matte), but they are actually somewhere in between. Think of them as low gloss. Much less glare than my mbp but still nice colors.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

They have a silver bezel which cuts down on the glossiness quite a bit.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

They're the same 'glossy' as the old MacBooks - it's not a matte display and will reflect light, but it doesn't have a large, extra-glossy piece of glass over the bezel as on the MBPs and iMacs.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

For what it's worth, I took my brand new MBA outside yesterday for a few minutes, and on a very bright Texas summer day, the screen was perfectly visible.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Totally forgot about my iMac's warranty which is due to expire on the 19th. So I went to the local Apple reseller to purchase AppleCare, but he wouldn't give me the student discount because I purchased the computer on Apple's website and not in his store. Just ordered AppleCare online (from Apple) and it's supposed to be here on the 16th. Cutting it close. :sweatdrop:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Jack's Flow posted:

Totally forgot about my iMac's warranty which is due to expire on the 19th. So I went to the local Apple reseller to purchase AppleCare, but he wouldn't give me the student discount because I purchased the computer on Apple's website and not in his store. Just ordered AppleCare online (from Apple) and it's supposed to be here on the 16th. Cutting it close. :sweatdrop:

As long as you have a receipt with AppleCare dated before the 1-year date of the computer you are set. My father was like 5 months past his date when his computer wasn't repaired and all we had to do was send Apple proof we had purchased the AppleCare in time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Just ordered AppleCare online (from Apple) and it's supposed to be here on the 16th. Cutting it close. :sweatdrop:
Wait why did you have it shipped to you? You should have been able to do electronic delivery and have it registered automatically.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Forgot about something I read yesterday, Macworld's Mac mini review mentioned that the Radeon model could run three displays (two over TB, one HDMI). Not sure how they figured that out or if it's even accurate though.

And this Zotac DP/MDP to dual HDMI output thingy may be useful for some of you, if it works:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4563/zotac-releases-displayport-to-dual-hdmi-adapter

brc64 posted:

Are there any super important keyboard shortcuts I need to know about?
This is a software question :ssh:. While editing text I use option-arrow a lot. Left/right skips between words, and I think up/down does it between line returns/paragraphs. You've probably figured fn-up/down already (page up/down). And uh, combine any of those with shift and you can easily select chunks of text, like if I want to copy paste a few words I option-shift-arrow. You can also combine them with delete, so if I gently caress up a sentence I usually option-delete (to delete words at a time).

I think that's more or less it as far as text editing. In Safari you can do a lot of different stuff related to just holding cmd/opt/shift, like typing in a URL/search and hitting cmd-return will open it in a new tab, cmd-opt should be a new window, shift will reverse the foreground/background behavior, and this can be done with links and usually buttons.

Cmd-tab does the app switcher, and while still holding cmd you can shift-tab to cycle backwards, or just tilde (~). In App Expose you can also hit tab/shift tab to cycle between apps, or invoke the tab switcher there too to jump to a particular app. (last I tried it doesn't work in Mission Control like it did in All Window Expose before though :()

There's a bunch of other stuff too...basically if you have a cmd-letter command, many times there's a modified version with opt and/or shift, and rarely control. If you open a menu and hold those modifiers it'll show these commands if they're not in the normal menu.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As an aside, has anyone compared the 24" or 27" ACD's to the equivalent Dell side by side? I'm not terribly confident that Apple will be able to fix the issue with thunderbolt macs on the 24" ACD (as it's been around since the first thunderbolt Macbooks Pro,) so I'm considering just selling the ACD and picking up a U2412M (and a webcam, I guess.)
The Dell 27" is around $900 isn't it? I looked into it a while back and I think the panels were likely sourced from the same supplier(s), but the ACD had LED vs CCFL backlighting. Otherwise the ACD had speakers, webcam, and the whole glass on front gloss as gently caress design going on. With the TB display you have all the other ports as well of course, through a single cable no less (vs...two on the ACD).

The nice thing about other displays is that they usually have an abundance of inputs, so consider that if you have a bunch of stuff you'd like to connect and consolidate. That's the main thing keeping me from getting the TB display (well, next year), just one extra input would be nice.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

In this case the "equivalent" Dell to your 24" ACD (if it's the 24" LED ACD) would probably be the U2410, as both are H-IPS panels and appear to be slight variations of an LG panel: LM240WU4-SLB1 in the Dell U2410, and LM240WU6-SDA1 in the 24" ACD.

The Dell U2412M is now their more budget-focused model, as it uses an e-IPS display (and a 6-bit panel with FRC). It just came out, so not sure how easy it is to find someone who can compare the two.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Cool, thanks. I'm going to give Apple another couple of weeks to get a firmware update out, and call and yell at them a few more times, before making the switch. I really hope I don't have to. :(

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Wait why did you have it shipped to you? You should have been able to do electronic delivery and have it registered automatically.
Managed to cancel my order, looking for that option right now.

edit: I'm not very successful at this. Could someone help me please? I can't find the option for electronic delivery, it always wants to ship it to me.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 9, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

This is a software question :ssh:.
But.. the keys are.. hardware? You're right, though. As a final aside on this, I just discovered something seemingly useless but strangely fun. control+up or down seems to toggle through various Expose modes. Add shift to the mix, and it happens in slow motion.

For a real hardware question, since the MBA does not have a user replaceable battery, is there anything I need to do or avoid doing in order to prolong the overall life of the battery? It seems to handle sleep very well (way better than any Windows portable I've ever used), but I'm not sure if I should be plugging it in more often, less often, or just whenever.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

Managed to cancel my order, looking for that option right now.

edit: I'm not very successful at this. Could someone help me please? I can't find the option for electronic delivery, it always wants to ship it to me.

I actually don't remember it being an option. FYI it doesn't matter, if it is past the date just call apple and tell them and they will register it regardless. I bought mine a day after it expired and they still did it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You have to call them and they can charge you and register it over the phone.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

But.. the keys are.. hardware? You're right, though. As a final aside on this, I just discovered something seemingly useless but strangely fun. control+up or down seems to toggle through various Expose modes. Add shift to the mix, and it happens in slow motion.

For a real hardware question, since the MBA does not have a user replaceable battery, is there anything I need to do or avoid doing in order to prolong the overall life of the battery? It seems to handle sleep very well (way better than any Windows portable I've ever used), but I'm not sure if I should be plugging it in more often, less often, or just whenever.
http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

You have to call them and they can charge you and register it over the phone.
I was fairly certain you could do it through the "Extend Coverage" button when you check your AppleCare status on their site. I know you can do it for iPhones since I just did it a few days ago, and I thought that's how I purchased AppleCare for my iMac as well. Maybe they don't let you do an electronic purchase for AppleCare for computers.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He should try that then, i wasn't aware you could do that. They will do it over the phone though as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There's a very cool writeup on the new 5th Generation Airport Extreme at Anandtech.

Lots is discussed, including performance and transmit power going up across the board on the 5th as opposed to the 4th gen. Apple moving to only Broadcom on both the access point and client hardware implies a double-edged sword. Cool stuff like AirDrop is only possible when using all Apple hardware. You may lose performance if you decide to go with an Atheros-based access point (though out in the wild you likely have no choice.)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The most interesting thing to me to come out of that review was that you can swap the drive in a Time Capsule.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 9, 2011

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.
I have a 2011 iMac 27 with the SSD + HDD combo, and it's got a clean OSX Lion install on it (it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing). Sometimes it will start making a very subtle clicking noise (not the hard drive) that sounds like a metronome or something similar. It will sporadically start and stop. This does not sound normal for a computer.

Any ideas what this might be?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

There's a very cool writeup on the new 5th Generation Airport Extreme at Anandtech.

Lots is discussed, including performance and transmit power going up across the board on the 5th as opposed to the 4th gen. Apple moving to only Broadcom on both the access point and client hardware implies a double-edged sword. Cool stuff like AirDrop is only possible when using all Apple hardware. You may lose performance if you decide to go with an Atheros-based access point (though out in the wild you likely have no choice.)

I just read that earlier today, very good and in-depth review, yet another reason why I'll stick with Anand for reviews. Smart choice on Apple's part to move to modular PCIe cards; they can really save on PCB costs and just keep upgrading the module.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Jeratain posted:

I have a 2011 iMac 27 with the SSD + HDD combo, and it's got a clean OSX Lion install on it (it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing). Sometimes it will start making a very subtle clicking noise (not the hard drive) that sounds like a metronome or something similar. It will sporadically start and stop. This does not sound normal for a computer.

You sure it isn't the hard drive? That's typically the sound a hard drive makes when the heads have a seeking error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHq-5uUMx0 You can hear the seeking error in the background of this video.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jeratain posted:

Make sure this isn't your system.
http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Make sure this isn't your system.
http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/
Make sure you know how to read.

Jeratain posted:

I have a 2011 iMac 27...(it does not have one of the known HDD issues that needs replacing)
:owned:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

I just read that earlier today, very good and in-depth review, yet another reason why I'll stick with Anand for reviews. Smart choice on Apple's part to move to modular PCIe cards; they can really save on PCB costs and just keep upgrading the module.

The only issue I have with Anand's reviews is that it seemed like he often down-played issues that, had it been another company, he'd have railed on them for. For example, he lightly commented on what is essentially a lack of QuickSync support when Apple moved the MBP's to Sandy Bridge, even though it'd be perfect for something such as iMovie, and didn't really mark Apple off for it. Or not really being concerned with how Apple implemented the special connectors for hard drives in the iMac to prevent users from adding in additional drives, etc.

Other than that though, I do typically like his reviews, and in all fairness since he's been having the reviews be worked on by multiple people (including himself), I think they've been more objective.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What time of networking protocol does the Airport Extreme use when sharing a USB attached drive to a windows device? Will I be able to access a HFS+ formatted drive from a Windows based computer? Does the drive format matter?

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Any recommendations for a place to order a replacement Macbook Pro battery and charger?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I know there's a site that does benchmarks but I can't seem to scare it up. I read the OP but I'm probably going blind in my old age.

Here's my dilemma. I currently have a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo pre-unibody MacBook Pro. I'd like to upgrade it but can't decide between:

• 13" MacBook Air with the 256gb SSD (1.7ghz dual core i5, 4gb ram), $1,549
  • Refurb 15" low-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,529
  • New 15" high-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,789
  • Waiting for the rumored 15" "Air" because my current computer is decent-ish

I mostly just browse the internet and wouldn't mind the Air because it's the same res as my current 15" despite being smaller. I don't play games much, but would the MacBook Pros handle Battlefield 3? If so that might sway me.

I guess in closing, how many times faster is that 13" Air than my current 2.2ghz C2D? So hard to decide. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Get the Air.