Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'll ask here since it's part of my backlog: Didn't Zombie Driver used to have a timer in its campaign mode? I could've sworn it did, specifically because I railed against it after having purchased it at launch (with promises of "Free-roaming"), but now that I play through it, I can take my time scouring the town for powerups at least after I pickup whoever I have to pick up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

Crossing Recettear off the list (well, moving it to my 'Endless' games section). :toot: Took me 9 hours and one attempt to complete the main story without save scumming or any other trickery. I had a 'tiny' advantage since I played it in the native language a couple years ago, but that was less understanding and more random guesswork and button mashing. This game is quite fantastic and the translation is excellent.

Nine hours to complete the entire storyline, or just to pay off the debt?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

ToxicFrog posted:

Nine hours to complete the entire storyline, or just to pay off the debt?

Sorry, just to pay off the debt. I didn't realize the actual story extended beyond that, I thought it was just endless mode of 'do dungeons and make money'. :downs: I planned on continuing with Endless Mode anyway, so I suppose I can un-cross it off. :v: Welp time to get on the laptop and indulge my capitalistic desires.

e: vvvv I knew there were more characters & dungeons to unlock, I didn't know the actual story continued. Thanks. I'll consider the game beaten once I finish the story elements. I assumed the actual story was done when the credits started rolling.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 10, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, it goes kind of sandboxy after you pay off the debt, but there's still more dungeons and characters to unlock and more storyline to follow.

Going by Backloggery terminology, at this point you can probably call it "beaten" but not "complete".

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 10, 2011

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ToxicFrog posted:

Here is the download, and here is the main github page. You will also need Lua for Windows to run it. (Migishu, I'd appreciate it if you could replace the link in the OP with these - the old script is entirely replaced by this.)

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Now I can finally do this:

Thanks! :)

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Here's my Backloggery:

It's just Steam games at the moment, though I guess I should stick my GOG stuff as well.

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12
Tonight was a good start to my days off.
Was a light day at work so we got out an hour early with a full days pay, and I used the extra time to play some video games before bed.

Finished Trine.
Definitely going to keep it installed so I can go back through it again later on and find the secrets and experience I missed along the way.
It's really a fantastic platformer. So many puzzles with so many solutions, especially once you get all of the powers and start tossing points into them.

My only complaint is the bats.
gently caress the bats and their ability to hit you when they're clipping through the bottom of platforms. That's the only thing in the entire game that bothered me though, and it only happened twice.

I think I might crack open a longer game tomorrow. Maybe an RPG.
I have Risen, Spellforce, Divinity 2, Drakensang, and Two Worlds all in my backlog and I've been avoiding them all in favour of shorter games for far too long.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
Hi im Rinseh i have a problem.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/drunk3nr4g3
http://steamcommunity.com/id/drunk3nr4g3

I have a multitude of games, but i never play any.

I need help.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Play Max Payne and Max Payne 2.

e: then jam on the Crysis games and Dead Space

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Rinseh posted:

Hi im Rinseh i have a problem.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/drunk3nr4g3
http://steamcommunity.com/id/drunk3nr4g3

I have a multitude of games, but i never play any.

I need help.

Hey man, You'll finish Windosill in 1 hour - that's one thing off your 379 games list :D

If you really want to get that list cracked the first thing you should do is (temporarilly) uninstal Team Fortress 2 and EVE. You've played 40 hours of TF2 in the last 2 weeks alone which makes it an actual part-time job :v: You could have a real life business making money during this time (I'm not even counting additional 12 hours of EVE because you may have been idling).

But that aside - this means you have free time but when you open your Steam list you just go straight for TF2/EVE because it's easy and you're used to it. Uninstalling them will make you play other games.

Just go with the big titles because from what I see you actually play them. Maybe finish series which you already know first - I see there Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age 1, Liberty City stories just lying around.

Also stop buying small indie titles...just stop...you try them out for 0,5-1 hours and leave. Maybe they're just not for you - you seem to be investing hundreds of hours into AAA titles - stick to that, never buy a small title on sale again.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 10, 2011

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?

Palpek posted:

Stuff

Pretty solid analysis, most of the indie games were just cheap packs i bought because i could, i tried to play a lot of the games but never really enjoyed any.

But i shall take your advice and buzz through some bigger titles.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Copied from the Steam thread, but I can check another game off my backlog.

I just finished Shellshock 2: Blood Trails and I might have been a little harsh on it at my first review. I'd have to bump the rating on it from the 40s to the 50s. It wasn't a long game, it wasn't ground breaking, and the bullet sponge bosses got old (fortunately there were only 3 of them) but it was shooting zombies, in Vietnam, so it can't be too bad. There were a few occasional spots where I jumped in my chair. I wouldn't recommend someone go out of their way to buy it, but if you have it from the Eidos/Square-Enix pack, I can think of worse ways to spend 4 hours.

After checking, I have now beaten 10% of my Steam games. Progress!

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Done with Bully. The story felt a bit rushed towards the end, but overall, I really enjoyed it. My final completion percentage is something like 88%, but I've got the three main collection quests done, and I've done almost everything there is to do, so I'm not going to grind for 100%.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Cruisin' around in Might and Magic II, picking up hirelings, exploring dungeons, eating improbable snacks.

I knew Jon van Caneghem was a geek, but this is ridiculous:

At least finding the secret passages was easy.

also holy poo poo does automapping make a dungeoncrawler more playable

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I've put a little over 13 hours in to Two Worlds, I have no idea how far I am through the main quest though. I'm mainly just exploring right now and doing any side quests I've come across (I learned that it's not possible to advance certain parts of the main quest without running into and completely certain side quests first). Still having fun with it, although it's a bit too easy, but it's fun watching my warrior swing his huge poisoned axe through a mob of orcs or skeletons and watch them go flying.

I'm going on vacation for a few days starting tomorrow, but I'm going to bring my laptop so I can play something on the car-ride there (when I'm not the one driving). I haven't decided what yet, maybe continue with Icewind Dale or Fallout, though I was thinking about trying to burn through a shorter game or something.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Finished Machinarium. I loved the visual style and the animation, but I wasn't that fond of the gameplay. One particularly grating example was the fact that you have to stand right next to something to interact with it, which leads to situations like "Get object A from inventory > Unsuccessfully try to use object A on object B > Put object A back in inventory > Move three feet to the right > Get object A from inventory > Successfully combine the two objects". Seriously, I thought we got past that poo poo in 1993. Most of the mini-games and stand-alone puzzles were awesome, but some (like the loving maze with 33 enemies) were just terrible, and some of the adventuring puzzles required some pretty big leaps of logic. Overall, I'd rate it about a 6.5/10: Not entirely without merit, but also a good reminder why I stopped playing adventure games in the first place.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
I CANNOT wait for Bastion to get here in about a week. I'm never excited for a game (I only have passing curiosity for most titles), but all the hype and buzz about this one is making me foam at the mouth.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

From Earth posted:

Finished Machinarium. I loved the visual style and the animation, but I wasn't that fond of the gameplay. One particularly grating example was the fact that you have to stand right next to something to interact with it, which leads to situations like "Get object A from inventory > Unsuccessfully try to use object A on object B > Put object A back in inventory > Move three feet to the right > Get object A from inventory > Successfully combine the two objects". Seriously, I thought we got past that poo poo in 1993. Most of the mini-games and stand-alone puzzles were awesome, but some (like the loving maze with 33 enemies) were just terrible, and some of the adventuring puzzles required some pretty big leaps of logic. Overall, I'd rate it about a 6.5/10: Not entirely without merit, but also a good reminder why I stopped playing adventure games in the first place.

I'm still playing it, but that's how I'm feeling. It's visually striking, but a little plodding for my tastes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah it's worth a playthrough for the atmosphere and animation but some of the puzzles were awful and/or things you needed blended in with the background or foreground completely. And yeah that maze thing was boooring ugh.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Oh man, glad I found this thread. I've purchased over one hundred video games on Steam in the past year. Fortunately, I manage to stay pretty methodical about it (I only purchase games when they're discounted), and I have a list of games I want to buy and I try to stick to that list as closely as possible. There's a handful of games I've accepted that I won't be playing (ones with dead multiplayer - ie: Lead and Gold, Shattered Horizon), but I've recently made the compromise that I will beat as many of the games I own as possible. I purchased the Far Cry pack back in May when it was $7.50 and beat Far Cry 2 and I'm about halfway through Far Cry. Looking forward to tracking my progress with you guys.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm thinking of doing a platformer and a puzzle game to take a break from doing RPGs. Should I do ARES, Blade Kitten or NyxQuest, and Puzzle Dimension, Tidalis or Yosumin?

mesokilo
Feb 17, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm thinking of doing a platformer and a puzzle game to take a break from doing RPGs. Should I do ARES, Blade Kitten or NyxQuest, and Puzzle Dimension, Tidalis or Yosumin?
Tidalis is really good if you don't care about production values. If you are taking a break from RPGs to play a shorter game, try something else though. The campaign alone took me close to 20 hours. Now I mightn't be the king of puzzle games, but the game is chock full of challenges and customizable gameplay after (or before) completing the campaign.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

ARES is wicked short, according to Steam I only played it for 2 hours and finished it. It's not too bad. Should be easy to kick from your backlog.

I'm sort of doing something vaguely similar with my backlog lately, picking out one big budget game (still Fallout: NV for the moment), one puzzle game (currently Puzzler World, it's very shovelware-y but some of the puzzles are fun and it cost me one whole dollar), and one adventure game (just finished Scratches and started working on Sam and Max). I bounce between them when my attention span wanes.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

mesokilo posted:

Tidalis is really good if you don't care about production values. If you are taking a break from RPGs to play a shorter game, try something else though. The campaign alone took me close to 20 hours. Now I mightn't be the king of puzzle games, but the game is chock full of challenges and customizable gameplay after (or before) completing the campaign.

Yeah, if it's 20 hours I'll save it for later, thanks for the info.

Sporkles posted:

ARES is wicked short, according to Steam I only played it for 2 hours and finished it. It's not too bad. Should be easy to kick from your backlog.

I'm sort of doing something vaguely similar with my backlog lately, picking out one big budget game (still Fallout: NV for the moment), one puzzle game (currently Puzzler World, it's very shovelware-y but some of the puzzles are fun and it cost me one whole dollar), and one adventure game (just finished Scratches and started working on Sam and Max). I bounce between them when my attention span wanes.

I'll give ARES a shot then. And yeah, Puzzler World is cheapish, but a good distraction. If you're having trouble with word puzzles, make sure you chose American as your language and not English. Cheeky British bastards...

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
NyxQuest is only about 3 or 4 hours long and pretty good. Play that too.

And I just best Far Cry 2, the story of why a man started a blog.

Far Cry 2: The Real Driving Simulator.

Far Cry 2: :fuckoff:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic down. I'm flagging it as Completed even though I technically didn't see all four endings; when it came down to it I chose to save Zana instead of Leanna. Fun game with completely :effort: endings and the flaw of the game having too many spiders and undead versus humans/goblins/orcs - the latter group was a lot more fun to gently caress around with physicswise. Endgame I just used Charm and Telekinesis with the odd fireball for flavor.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
Some people in the gifts thread may know me as I enjoy to give out games to other goons. But what you don't know is that I absolutely love to buy games for myself, and never play them.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SApins
http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/SApins

I just don't know where to start and whenever i look through the list its just so hard to choose and i wind up playing something ive beaten or whatnot. Ive only played about 50 of my 132 games. Where do I start? I would love to cut down on some of this.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
To take the choice out you can use the random steam game site or Backloggery to chose one for you.

To knock some short games out there's a few that jump out at me.

ARES was recently mentioned as being very short.

Breath of Death is about 4 hours - Cthulhu Saves the World is about twice as long, so those are short RPGs.

Trine is about 5-6 hours.

The Telltale game episodes are just a few hours each.

Pick one or two of those to play through and beat so you can just clear them entirely off the backlog.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm on Stage 3 of ARES, playing on hard. It's a fairly decent Megaman X clone.I'm thinking running through on Normal to upgrade everything and then switching to hard to mop up the secrets might be the better choice though.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Just finished Assassin's Creed 2. I liked it beside memory sequence 11-14 or something. The last mission, at the point of no return should have been right around memory 10 or 11.

Almost made me drop the game after putting 25 hours into it.

Edit : Starting Assassin's Creed Brotherhood next.

Edit2 : gently caress you Ubisoft! Making me start with only a fraction of the gold I had in the previous game and then making me lose EVERYTHING (even that gold) from the last game. God I hate how this is the standard gameplay mechanic for sequels.

Hemish fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 14, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Conversations about hack & slash games on IRC prompted me to dust off Torchlight and give it another shot, but I'm only down to DL08 or so and already having a hard time bringing myself to continue playing it. I think I was right the first time when I took it off my backlog on account of not wanting to play it.

I'm still working my way through New Vegas - just finished the Dead Money DLC. I'm heading into the point in the game where I need to choose my allies. I'm also having a hard time not finishing quests, but I know I really should; I want to leave some for my second playthrough.

That said, I haven't been playing much of either because some utter bastard in the Steam thread linked to freeware tech demo Kerbal Space Program, which is horrifyingly addictive. I'm currently trying to design a SSTO liquid-fuel rocket that can get my little kerbanauts into orbit and back again without exploding, coming apart, ploughing into the ground at mach three, or leaving them trapped in space forever.

Placebo
Sep 21, 2009
I recently got a raise at work and now this has become a problem

I bought Fallout 3 goty, Tropico 3 + expansion, and Bully even though I've beaten bully before, in the past week alone.

I'm focusing on Fallout 3 and Tropico 3 right now, they're different enough that when I'm not in the mood for one I'll be in the mood for the other.

http://www.steamcalculator.com/id/undoingruin
http://steamcommunity.com/id/undoingruin

of course sadly most my time is spent on tf2, I blame my tf2 playing friends. I'll set up a backlog in a bit

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Puzzle Dimension is fantastic. Should take you about 15 hours to do, though, depending on how good you are at spatial puzzlers. Took me about another 10 to unpixelate everything. Still got one achievement to get :(

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Here we go;

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Started Alice: Madness Returns after getting it through the summer sale. Of course it's EA so you don't get any Steam achievements or probably much of a discount so that's a bit of a minus.

Just finished the second chapter and according to the game about 34% complete. What I have seen so far has blown me away though. It's a very solid platformer, the art is incredible, it's a fairly hosed up story, and it's been holding me in there.

It's definitely made for consoles but looks beautiful and ultra settings. I also would not suggest using the keyboard/mouse. My Xbox 360 controller works great for it.

Game has a ton of ADD things to collect, there are so many memories, bottles, pig snouts to collect in every level. You unlock memories that basically tell Alice how horrible a person she is for killing her family. There's a borderline uncomfortable amount of rape talk when Alice is in the real world. And then in the "Wonderland" world you seem to help out people like the Mad Hatter and others then they end up turning on you and getting killed.

It's a strange game but the platforming is solid. The combat is pretty good, most enemies have a set pattern you have to use against them, the difference is what enemies they throw at you at the same time.

Seems its more a console title, but it's a ton of fun. Well worth checking out and if you have a good PC, it looks spectacular.

Oh, here is my little backloggery thing to!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adding mine here. I just added the stuff I'm playing right now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'd use this but it seems backloggery is down :(

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
The hosts datacenter is having network issues. Should be back up soon enough.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Finished Starcraft 2. Now to figure out this backloggery thing and get started on my summer sale leftovers.

EDIT: Here we go

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Just finished Recettear. The final weak is really brutal. I failed it and started over in new game+ or whatever it is, and beat it the second time with less than 10,000 to spare. I was really nervous that last day.