Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Leonard Leroy posted:

Any recommendations for a place to order a replacement Macbook Pro battery and charger?

Most non-Apple replacement batteries are poo poo, same for chargers.

The best deal is to see if you can get an AASP to take a crap MBP battery to exchange for a new Apple one for about $93-95. Same with the MagSafe chargers.

Apple has not licensed MagSafe adapters to anyone so any third party replacements are usually refurbished, used, or reconditioned, not new.

Maybe this should be mentioned in the OP as it doesn't look like this situation is likely to change soon..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chemmy posted:

• 13" MacBook Air with the 256gb SSD (1.7ghz dual core i5, 4gb ram), $1,549
  • Refurb 15" low-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,529
  • New 15" high-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,789
  • Waiting for the rumored 15" "Air" because my current computer is decent-ish
13" Air, definitely.

quote:

I guess in closing, how many times faster is that 13" Air than my current 2.2ghz C2D? So hard to decide. :(

Vastly. It's two full generations newer and beats it in every way.

e: ^^ I swear SWSP put my blurb about MagSafes in the OP

movax fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 10, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dual 6-core Mac Pro with 27" Thunderbolt display. Definitely. :shepface:

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

flyboi posted:

You sure it isn't the hard drive? That's typically the sound a hard drive makes when the heads have a seeking error.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLHq-5uUMx0 You can hear the seeking error in the background of this video.

I listened the video and that seems far more loud than the noise I'm hearing. Here's what I know...

1. It's only happened since I installed a clean install of Lion (though I had limited time with Snow Leopard).
2. It's very sporadic and not reproducable (that I can tell).
a. It's currently not happening, which I'm actually happy about.
b. I've turned off and rebooted the computer to have it reproduced once.
3. The sound is very subtle. It almost sounds like the speakers have are playing a sound file that's failed.
a. However I can still play music and other sounds fine while this sound is happening.
4. I assume an SSD makes no noise, but the 1TB drive makes the standard click access sound that any hard drive platter does. However if this sound is the HDD, then I'd be shocked.

I almost feel it's software related more than it's hardware related, but I've nothing to back that up. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have it happen again.

And just to re-verify: yes, I even ran my SN through the HDD replacement link and it said my system is not affected.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I know there's a site that does benchmarks but I can't seem to scare it up. I read the OP but I'm probably going blind in my old age.

Here's my dilemma. I currently have a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo pre-unibody MacBook Pro. I'd like to upgrade it but can't decide between:

• 13" MacBook Air with the 256gb SSD (1.7ghz dual core i5, 4gb ram), $1,549
  • Refurb 15" low-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,529
  • New 15" high-res glossy MacBook Pro (2.0ghz quad core i7, 4gb ram, 500gb 5400rpm HDD) $1,789
  • Waiting for the rumored 15" "Air" because my current computer is decent-ish

I mostly just browse the internet and wouldn't mind the Air because it's the same res as my current 15" despite being smaller. I don't play games much, but would the MacBook Pros handle Battlefield 3? If so that might sway me.

I guess in closing, how many times faster is that 13" Air than my current 2.2ghz C2D? So hard to decide. :(

The 2.0 MBPs have the inferior graphics card, right? Running BF3 on that might be tough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Air is the most advanced laptop they've designed, I'd definitely get that over the MBP. Yeah it won't play Battlefield 3 but I'd consider that a minor con.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's gonna feel faster for most tasks than the MBP because of the SSD anyway.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Corbet posted:

What time of networking protocol does the Airport Extreme use when sharing a USB attached drive to a windows device? Will I be able to access a HFS+ formatted drive from a Windows based computer? Does the drive format matter?

From my experience, the drive needs to be formatted as something readable by Macs e.g. HFS+ or exFAT. Windows PCs can connect to them as long as you have Airport Utility installed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Corbet posted:

What time of networking protocol does the Airport Extreme use when sharing a USB attached drive to a windows device?
Pretty sure it's just SMB for Windows clients, so file system doesn't matter.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

The 2.0 MBPs have the inferior graphics card, right? Running BF3 on that might be tough.

I'll live without BF3, I have an Xbox. I'll probably buy an Air tomorrow on the way home from work.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Chemmy posted:

I'll live without BF3, I have an Xbox. I'll probably buy an Air tomorrow on the way home from work.

I know everyone has kinda already touted the "Air" horn since, well, it's the new sparkling thing to want, but out of curiosity: how long would you likely keep it, and does portability come into effect at all?

If you do plan on keeping it awhile, and portability isn't a concern, I would almost say go with the refurb 15" Sandy Bridge MBP. The quad-core i7 will likely last a decent-bit longer performance wise into the future than the i5 or i7 available for the 13" Air, and while it's not the greatest, the performance of the discrete GPU (Radeon 6490M) in the entry-level 15" MBP is still quite a bit ahead of the HD3000.

Plus, you can always either swap out the existing HDD for an SSD, or even remove the optical drive and put an SSD in for a SSD+ HDD combo. Also throw in the ability to double the RAM to 8 GB (versus being fixed at 4 GB with the Air), and if you do plan on having it for any lengthy period of time, personally that's what I'd go with.

If however it's mostly just for a year or two, yeah, go with the Air.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I know everyone has kinda already touted the "Air" horn since, well, it's the new sparkling thing to want, but out of curiosity: how long would you likely keep it, and does portability come into effect at all?

If you do plan on keeping it awhile, and portability isn't a concern, I would almost say go with the refurb 15" Sandy Bridge MBP. The quad-core i7 will likely last a decent-bit longer performance wise into the future than the i5 or i7 available for the 13" Air, and while it's not the greatest, the performance of the discrete GPU (Radeon 6490M) in the entry-level 15" MBP is still quite a bit ahead of the HD3000.

Plus, you can always either swap out the existing HDD for an SSD, or even remove the optical drive and put an SSD in for a SSD+ HDD combo. Also throw in the ability to double the RAM to 8 GB (versus being fixed at 4 GB with the Air), and if you do plan on having it for any lengthy period of time, personally that's what I'd go with.

If however it's mostly just for a year or two, yeah, go with the Air.

Yeah I can't imagine using the Air as a desktop replacement either, so if that's a consideration, I'd go with the MBP.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Portability's not a huge deal in that I drive to work and have an iPad to travel light.

However I'm not really a power user. I'm an engineer in the semiconductor industry by trade so my work keeps me swimming in bleeding edge computer hardware and in terms of keeping laptops I generally keep them a while but only because I'm not much of a "power user" on my home PC.

There's nothing wrong with my current 2.2 C2D, I just think it still has value to sell so I might as well upgrade because the money isn't a big deal for me right now.

In terms of "desktop replacement" it'd be my only computer but I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro (she really wanted an optical drive) last week. I think my main dilemma is screen size. New high res 15 MBP is more pixels than my current MBP.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 10, 2011

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Question: Can the new MBPs/Airs "upscale" their resolutions to the default of a monitor it is connected to and mirroring? My Macbook 2008 can't and this resolution is killing my eyes. I know the monitor is extended it can be any resolution, but for some reason having the resolution with the dock and everything so small is killing me.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jeratain posted:

I almost feel it's software related more than it's hardware related, but I've nothing to back that up. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have it happen again.

And just to re-verify: yes, I even ran my SN through the HDD replacement link and it said my system is not affected.
Off the top of my head other possibilities are a bad or just loose fan or perhaps power supply funkiness. I wouldn't rule out the HD either unless you're 100% sure on it. Just cause your iMac doesn't fall in the program doesn't necessarily mean the drive is fine.

Karsh posted:

From my experience, the drive needs to be formatted as something readable by Macs e.g. HFS+ or exFAT. Windows PCs can connect to them as long as you have Airport Utility installed.
Sure they do exFAT? In the past it's just supported HFS+ and FAT32, with serving done through AFP and SMB. I don't think drive format really matters outside of filesystem limitations, stuff like special characters in file name limitations and what not.

Chemmy posted:

Portability's not a huge deal in that I drive to work and have an iPad to travel light.

However I'm not really a power user. I'm an engineer in the semiconductor industry by trade so my work keeps me swimming in bleeding edge computer hardware and in terms of keeping laptops I generally keep them a while but only because I'm not much of a "power user" on my home PC.

There's nothing wrong with my current 2.2 C2D, I just think it still has value to sell so I might as well upgrade because the money isn't a big deal for me right now.

In terms of "desktop replacement" it'd be my only computer but I bought my wife a 13" MacBook Pro (she really wanted an optical drive) last week. I think my main dilemma is screen size. New high res 15 MBP is more pixels than my current MBP.
Well if portability isn't a big deal I'd mostly consider how much you want the SSD. If you get the 15" and buy a 256GB SSD you're basically looking at another $400 on the lower end, $200ish is you're fine with 128GB.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Chemmy posted:

Honestly since portability doesn't matter at all, I would advocate going with one of the refurb 15" MBPs if possible. The high res 15" MBP does have more pixels, but is that something you'd specifically want, or is the standard option acceptable? Ultimately, I would almost say just replace the optical drive with a 128 GB SSD for the OS and applications, use the included HDD as a media/storage drive, and take comfort in that the system will last a rather long time in terms of new OS X releases and such.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Go for a High Res 15 MBP. If portability is not a huge deal, the extra screen res is nice along with having a bigger monitor to look at. Though if money is not to much of a concern, a MBA + an external monitor (I'll recommend a Dell UltraSharp U2412M) would give you the portability and the extra screen space.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Sup semiconductor :buddy:

I have the high-res 15" matte, I think it's criminal to get the 15" at its stock resolution. If you have a fruit stand nearby, ask them to show you the high-res side-by-side with the regular screen so you can make the best decision.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

movax posted:

Sup semiconductor :buddy:

I have the high-res 15" matte, I think it's criminal to get the 15" at its stock resolution. If you have a fruit stand nearby, ask them to show you the high-res side-by-side with the regular screen so you can make the best decision.

Yeah the stock resolution was unbearable for me. As for glossy or matte, I still can't decide. It's literally holding up my entire purchase, more or less.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Binary Badger posted:

Most non-Apple replacement batteries are poo poo, same for chargers.
In other words, there's no difference between Apple and non-Apple chargers.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Yeah the stock resolution was unbearable for me. As for glossy or matte, I still can't decide. It's literally holding up my entire purchase, more or less.

Gotta go check in the Apple Store! Personally I'm very happy with my matte screen; I don't do much, if any photo work so don't really care about colors popping or whatnot (it's a TN screen anyways :jerkbag:). I've grown to really like the metal bezel vs. the glass as well.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Aardark posted:

In other words, there's no difference between Apple and non-Apple chargers.

Literally, since most third party MagSafe chargers are just used / returned defectives that might've been rescued from the landfill.

On the other hand, I've now been able to rescue three of the old rectangular 85W Apple MagSafes by using Sugru.. it's really great stuff. For some reason Apple just hasn't gotten the hang of plug boot design..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Welp, just pulled the trigger on a base 13" MBA.....

All in all about $1500, which stings a bit for what ultimately amounts to an impulse luxury buy (my '07 MacBook is just fine, dammit!)

At least I get to work on my credit score.

Now to figure out how I'm going to manage that iMac.....

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
How does the intel graphics card on the MBP perform with most modern games?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Enigma89 posted:

How does the intel graphics card on the MBP perform with most modern games?
http://www.techyalert.com/2011/02/25/macbook-pro-2010-vs-macbook-pro-2011/

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
I'm looking into cases/sleeves for my incoming 13" MBA. After an hour or so of searching, I've come across this.

The Be-ez LA robe

Anybody have any experience with this sleeve?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris the Blade posted:

I'm looking into cases/sleeves for my incoming 13" MBA. After an hour or so of searching, I've come across this.

The Be-ez LA robe

Anybody have any experience with this sleeve?

Their other products aren't as tight-fitting as most people would like. I can't stand having any wiggle room in my sleeves.

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

Bob Morales posted:

Their other products aren't as tight-fitting as most people would like. I can't stand having any wiggle room in my sleeves.

Any suggestions then?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
How hard is it to replace a MBP optical with an SSD? Does it void the warranty? Is there a downside compared to using the Apple packaged SSD?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

How hard is it to replace a MBP optical with an SSD? Does it void the warranty? Is there a downside compared to using the Apple packaged SSD?

I am in no way picking on you, but I think we need this in the OP. It gets asked every page.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

I am in no way picking on you, but I think we need this in the OP. It gets asked every page.

I PM'd SWSP a blurb about Optibays and where to get them from/etc for the OP, so hopefully that gets in there soon.

To answer the actual question: Easy, no, and there are a few downsides, but nothing major.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Boris the Blade posted:

Any suggestions then?

I have a nylon Incase on my Pro. Not sure if they make one for the air. I find the neoprene ones to attract pet hair and get 'loose' after a while.

Doctor Zero posted:

Only the illiterate or lazy ask that question. I say we put the answer an animated gif at the top of every page of the thread, in glowing letters with spinning Apple logos

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

I'm on my iPhone so I can't check 100 pages or whatever, sorry. Does someone mind answering?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I'm on my iPhone so I can't check 100 pages or whatever, sorry. Does someone mind answering?

Warranty is not voided. It takes about 2 seconds to do, just remove the screws on the bottom and lift the panel up. I would put your SSD in the HD spot and put your HD (for storage of media, etc) in the optibay slot.

You can buy a fancy pants one for $99 or a cheap $10 on eBay, doesn't matter.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Boris the Blade posted:

Any suggestions then?

http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

I'm using the Air Smart Case on my 11" and it's great; it has a nice tight fit :mmmhmm:. It's not quite the type of design you seem to be looking for, but I'd suggest looking at their other stuff. I had their SleeveCase for my old Macbook, and it was really good. They make nice, durable stuff that's fitted properly to the target device.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Okay I want that.

Evil Granny
Jul 4, 2003
Destroyer of worlds, baker of pies.
I have a Mac Pro connected to a 30" Cinema Display. I want to also connect a gaming PC to the Cinema Display with some sort of switcher to alternate between the two at whim.

What's my best, most reliable bet?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What kind of cable connects the pro to the display?

Evil Granny
Jul 4, 2003
Destroyer of worlds, baker of pies.

Chemmy posted:

What kind of cable connects the pro to the display?
It's that strange DVI/Firewire/USB2/DC power tentacled beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Wikipedia Brown posted:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/macbookair-cases/macbookair-cases.php

I'm using the Air Smart Case on my 11" and it's great; it has a nice tight fit :mmmhmm:. It's not quite the type of design you seem to be looking for, but I'd suggest looking at their other stuff. I had their SleeveCase for my old Macbook, and it was really good. They make nice, durable stuff that's fitted properly to the target device.

I'm going to Nth the Sleevecase, just got mine last week.

Opted for no shoulder strap but picked up the gear pouch that snaps on the side of it. Great product.