Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bidikyoopi posted:

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.

You really can't turn left anywhere without a signal inside of 128 without doing that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Or get anywhere on the Cape. I live there, ask me about tourists...

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You really can't turn left anywhere without a signal inside of 128 without doing that though.

You could always just wait for an opening since one, even a small one, will eventually show up. I've learned to use those waiting times as lessons in being patient, something that comes in very handy when in traffic.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
So what conditions are apt to causing death wobble again? I drive an '85 mr2 with known bad steering bushings (no P.S.) and at least 1 known bad shock. Its rear wheel drive, rear transverse-mounted engined. Bushings look alright but I kinda wanna look closer at the anti-roll bar. Pretty sure it doesn't have wishbones, though.

edit: Also I still have no idea what "shimmy" means. Is it the same thing as a shudder?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know the feeling and especially when you're late you want to strangle that dude that's going just fast enough to prevent you from turning but just slow enough to be a pain. But...

Breast Pussy posted:

You could always just wait for an opening since one, even a small one, will eventually show up. I've learned to use those waiting times as lessons in being patient, something that comes in very handy when in traffic.

Couldn't have said it better.
Also,

sharkytm posted:

Or get anywhere on the Cape. I live there, ask me about tourists...

We go out to Harwich all the time, surprisingly the traffic up the Cape is pretty laid back by MA standards until you try to get anywhere on the 6 after 4pm. Then it's drunk, drunk, grandma, drunk, grandma, statie.

edit: sorry for derailing this into MASSCHAT, here's a Jaguar doing what it does best (actually taken on the way up the Cape a few years ago)

Marvin K. Mooney fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 9, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Scientist posted:

edit: Also I still have no idea what "shimmy" means. Is it the same thing as a shudder?

A shimmy is a rapid side-to-side motion that usually results in vibration.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

bidikyoopi posted:

I know the feeling and especially when you're late you want to strangle that dude that's going just fast enough to prevent you from turning but just slow enough to be a pain. But...

Couldn't have said it better.
Also,

We go out to Harwich all the time, surprisingly the traffic up the Cape is pretty laid back by MA standards until you try to get anywhere on the 6 after 4pm. Then it's drunk, drunk, grandma, drunk, grandma, statie.

edit: sorry for derailing this into MASSCHAT, here's a Jaguar doing what it does best (actually taken on the way up the Cape a few years ago)

Oil not leaking in a Jaguar: abnormal behaviour, see a mechanic

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Messadiah posted:

I find that people driving under the speed limit are more unpredictable and would rather not follow them, so my speeding around you is just to get out from behind you.

Sure, because going 33 in a 35 at a constant speed is super unpredictable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Sent Texas Redneck a buncha pics from my NHRA race yesterday, hopefully he can get them posted for me. I had no idea that the noise was that vulgar.

Sorry I didn't get them done sooner, I have two finals this week and a paper for one class and I've been trying to keep up with my slacking quota. :effort:

Land Cruiser waterpump photo you sent me like 2 weeks ago:

The NHRA photos:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

some texas redneck posted:

Bet that made a nice noise.

:stare:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I just noticed the "WATCH SHARP EDGES" sticker on the inside of the pan.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I was around the 300 foot line and my vision went blurry when they went past. It went so far beyond sound and became an elemental force. It was honestly the closest I've felt to a legitimate religious exerience and I wept because of it. God only knows what one letting go would sound like.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Good loving god that engine did a real number on itself. That is seriously impressive.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I have to admit never having seen supercharger rotors removed before.

Also, noticing the cylinder heads:

"That thing got a hemi in it?"

No! but it had one! :haw:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

http://i.imgur.com/JnzLMl.jpg

:what:
...:byodood: wait WHAT??

that hurts my ears by just looking at it.
I know it's completely irrelevant but it looks like the sleeve and the cam are unscathed. Was this the case?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do the trams stop for nobody down there? We have light rail in Phoenix but it stops at signals so that cars can make lefts.

The reason it's done is that the tram tracks often form one of the vehicle lanes as well. That is, cars can drive over many of the tram tracks. In those instances, you can't have a right-turn lane as the right-most lane IS the tram tracks. As such, they sit in the far left instead. You're right that in cases where the tram tracks up the centre of the road are dedicated tracks then you could potentially have a protected right arrow, but when it is literally one of the car lanes as well, you cannot.

ONLY Melbourne does this. Hook turns aren't even taught in driving where I live in Brisbane, as we don't have any of those intersections.

(Mirror right with left for US style driving example.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, there it is. Light rail here doesn't have to share its track space with caes; there are dedicated left turn lanes all over on either side of the tracks along the way for this reason.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

This is the middle of the CBD so road width is pretty limited. It's not all shared, but the CBD has significant areas that are from what I remember in my visits there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Whoops.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."

Motronic posted:

Whoops.

Houston, just saw that one the news. How did the signage support that sort of impact and not turn into a pretzel?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Kotaru posted:

Houston, just saw that one the news. How did the signage support that sort of impact and not turn into a pretzel?

triangles are very cool things.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Kotaru posted:

If I learned one thing from the traffic engineer thread in A/T, it's that those signs are built to withstand the goddamn apocalypse, with a price to match.

RoboCriminal
Sep 21, 2007
Sup

Jesus, some engines "grenade," other engines "500lb bomb." That's seriously impressive.

Unrelated for the guy who asked about deer whistles:

Coming from a place where deer strikes were pretty common (the woods in CT), the whistles do absolutely nothing. Best explanation I have heard is that in terms of animal psychology the deer has absolutely no reason to fear the whistle, so it doesn't. Only case where that would be different is if that deer had been previously hit by a car with a deer whistle and survived.

Weirdly enough I used to drive this really backwoods route to work every day and was always worried about hitting a deer as I saw them back there all the time. The day finally came and one literally lept out from the side of the road as I was passing, crossed the front of my car from right to left and my front left bumper hit its back end at like 40mph.

Fucker did a 180 in the air, landed on its feet again, and as I slammed on the brakes I saw it just standing there in the middle of the road behind me just looking at me like "wtf rear end in a top hat" then ran into the woods. Zero damage, got lucky as gently caress the deer wasn't a little slower or I wasn't going a little faster or it would have been through the windshield.

RoboCriminal fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 10, 2011

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Coasterphreak posted:

Where did you relocate from? Charleston's roads aren't that bad by Carolinas standards. I live up the road a piece in Charlotte, where we have numerous artery roads that change name more than once.

And the narrow country roads with no streetlights or shoulder and populated by suicidal deer are pretty much ubiquitous in the southeast. Once you learn them, they're a ton of fun to drive, and most of them are limited at 45-55.

I like this part of town here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charl...44&z=15&vpsrc=6

Scroll around, zoom in and out. See if you can figure out where Queens Rd W, Queens Rd, Providence Rd, Kings Dr, and East Blvd actually go. Scroll around and count how many Queens Roads there really are. Then follow Morehead St, and pay particular attention to how many times the name changes. Check out Tyvola Rd turning into Fairview Rd turning into Sardis Road bisecting, then watch Sardis take an abrupt turn to the south. Downtown's even worse.

Queens-Queens and Providence-Providence is my favorite intersection.
Queens on the NW goes straight through the 4-way light to Providence on the SE.
Providence on the NE goes straight into Queens on the SW.
If you wanted to stay on the same road, you have to turn.

Oh, and the roads are potholed, rippled, and banked due to poor maintenance. The typical car has a wheel in the gutter and a wheel on the dashed lines. That and the drivers are idiots. Downtown is almost unnavigable.

It's always a barrel of monkeys to be sent to an address on "Queens Rd." But which one?

anonumos fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 10, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RoboCriminal posted:

Jesus, some engines "grenade," other engines "500lb bomb." That's seriously impressive.

Unrelated for the guy who asked about deer whistles:

Coming from a place where deer strikes were pretty common (the woods in CT), the whistles do absolutely nothing. Best explanation I have heard is that in terms of animal psychology the deer has absolutely no reason to fear the whistle, so it doesn't. Only case where that would be different is if that deer had been previously hit by a car with a deer whistle and survived.

Weirdly enough I used to drive this really backwoods route to work every day and was always worried about hitting a deer as I saw them back there all the time. The day finally came and one literally lept out from the side of the road as I was passing, crossed the front of my car from right to left and my front left bumper hit its back end at like 40mph.

Fucker did a 180 in the air, landed on its feet again, and as I slammed on the brakes I saw it just standing there in the middle of the road behind me just looking at me like "wtf rear end in a top hat" then ran into the woods. Zero damage, got lucky as gently caress the deer wasn't a little slower or I wasn't going a little faster or it would have been through the windshield.

The whistle is supposed to mimic a Doe's "HOLY poo poo DANGER EVERYONE GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE" huff.

That being said, it doesn't.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

The NHRA photos:

This may sound odd to some of you, but that block is totally salvageable.

I have seen perfectly functional top fuel hemi blocks with a patchwork of several large and small repairs from different destructive incidents.

Even blocks that are ripped in half or are beyond repair are saved. Their better sections are cut out and used as patches for less damaged blocks.

Here is an example of a minor repair.

Small damage:

cut:

Finished repair outside:

Finished repair inside:

This is done with some cylinder heads as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

....it just has to be one hell of a valuable block to be worth that muh machine shop time. Which I don't doubt on a motor like that.

It's just not the kind of thing you'd be doing for something you can pick out of a scrap yard.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Motronic posted:

....it just has to be one hell of a valuable block to be worth that muh machine shop time. Which I don't doubt on a motor like that.

It's just not the kind of thing you'd be doing for something you can pick out of a scrap yard.
Many motors like that are CNC machined out of giant billets and not cast. Yeah, that costs a lot.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

anonumos posted:

I like this part of town here: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=charl...44&z=15&vpsrc=6

Scroll around, zoom in and out. See if you can figure out where Queens Rd W, Queens Rd, Providence Rd, Kings Dr, and East Blvd actually go. Scroll around and count how many Queens Roads there really are. Then follow Morehead St, and pay particular attention to how many times the name changes. Check out Tyvola Rd turning into Fairview Rd turning into Sardis Road bisecting, then watch Sardis take an abrupt turn to the south. Downtown's even worse.

Queens-Queens and Providence-Providence is my favorite intersection.
Queens on the NW goes straight through the 4-way light to Providence on the SE.
Providence on the NE goes straight into Queens on the SW.
If you wanted to stay on the same road, you have to turn.

Oh, and the roads are potholed, rippled, and banked due to poor maintenance. The typical car has a wheel in the gutter and a wheel on the dashed lines. That and the drivers are idiots. Downtown is almost unnavigable.

It's always a barrel of monkeys to be sent to an address on "Queens Rd." But which one?

Providence/Queens is exactly what I was thinking of, sup Charlotte goon.

You forgot Runnymede turning into Woodlawn, and if you take the wrong exit for 277 from I-77 it puts you on Westinghouse with the hookers and crackheads instead of in the middle of downtown. Of course, downtown itself is full of poorly lit and terribly marked one-way roads, which is always tons of fun as you mentioned.

Konigwheels
Jul 1, 2007

by T. Fine

Yeah, that truck/trailer accident has really been messing with me getting around Houston today. They closed the entire freeway, one of Houston's major arteries I-45, for it. I don't knwo how the hell the driver didn't know his trailer was up.

Konigwheels fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 10, 2011

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Incidentally, it doesn't even look like that sign was one of the more modern ones; the new ones I see use tubular frames instead of angle iron.

Also, do they make top-fuel dragster blocks out of inconel?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Scientist posted:

Also, do they make top-fuel dragster blocks out of inconel?
Not if they've got any sense.

Inconel is for high temperatures, really. Outside of anything involving exhaust gases, I can't think of many automotive applications where it can be justified over a good steel.

For an engine block, I'd stick with an aluminium alloy.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

The Scientist posted:

So what conditions are apt to causing death wobble again? I drive an '85 mr2 with known bad steering bushings (no P.S.) and at least 1 known bad shock. Its rear wheel drive, rear transverse-mounted engined. Bushings look alright but I kinda wanna look closer at the anti-roll bar. Pretty sure it doesn't have wishbones, though.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that on a mr2. One of my old aw11 mr2's had 4 completely blown struts, almost non-existent bushings everywhere and never had any issues with it wobble with the steering on it. At the same time, I highly suggest replacing the struts/springs and all the bushings, it will make it feel like a entirely new car and is cheaper to do than you would think.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Nam Taf posted:

The reason it's done is that the tram tracks often form one of the vehicle lanes as well. That is, cars can drive over many of the tram tracks. In those instances, you can't have a right-turn lane as the right-most lane IS the tram tracks. As such, they sit in the far left instead. You're right that in cases where the tram tracks up the centre of the road are dedicated tracks then you could potentially have a protected right arrow, but when it is literally one of the car lanes as well, you cannot.

ONLY Melbourne does this. Hook turns aren't even taught in driving where I live in Brisbane, as we don't have any of those intersections.

(Mirror right with left for US style driving example.)

Plenty of our Brisbane cabbies have no problem tuning right from a left hand lane. Especially if it's across multiple lanes.

I used to be a courier and saw one take a right turn onto George St from the far most lane of Ann st.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

Do they do it if the bore is that part that gets banged up?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Muffinpox posted:

Do they do it if the bore is that part that gets banged up?
I'd guess they'd sleeve it.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
That trailer reminded me of a dump truck that smacked into an overpass last year.

For some reason he was driving with his bed up. He didn't make it.
Took them months to close that section of I-10 to fix it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

B4Ctom1 posted:

I remember someone here (frozenphil maybe?) posting a what looked like a toasted head, and then the picture of it fixed. $500 of welding work on a $1500 head justifies it in the end.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008

The Scientist posted:

I just moved from Florida. Now that I think about it, I think that may be my problem. I lived about halfway between Orlando, which prior to the advent of Disney Worldtm was a collection of cow pastures, and Kennedy Space Center, which prior to Sputnik was a series of swamps that were an ideal place to go if you wanted to catch West Nile Virus. That combined with that monumental growth that Florida's seen and perhaps I got spoiled by nice, new, civil-engineered roads.

Meanwhile, Charleston dates back to the 1600's, and we all know that all they had back then were but the simplest of horseless carrii.

But in my defense, I-95 was under "construction" [had cones alongside it] for the entire length of my old county in Florida, 100+ miles.

I'm sorry that this is probably super boring to read.

They've progressed a lot, I-95 in Brevard is now cones along one side, concrete barricades along the other and uneven lanes along the entire length. Every so often another stretch will repave a lane, then shift the lines half a lane over, so there's a 1-2 inch drop in the middle of each lane and a soft shoulder. I'm starting to think the state measures the success of a construction project by how many motorcyclists they kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Yeah that's where I used to live. They paved from the end of the shoulder to about 3 feet into the left lane, and about the same but reverse on the right side. I was at the end of a long road trip there just the other day. Everyone was driving with two wheels 3 inches higher on nice, smooth pavement, and the other 2 down on some scuffed up road foundation. I was out of gently caress to give so I just cruised, offset from everybody else, on some nice rear end pavement along the shoulder. There were no lines anyway, so who cares?

It still pisses me off that their are cones along the entire length of 95 in Brevard but only a insignificant, minute part ever has "men working" at any given time (if at all); but its all still "construction zone - speeding fines doubled"