Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I just remembered another good one that probably got overlooked by a lot of people: Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force. It sounds like it would be terrible but it was actually pretty drat good. I also remember having fun with Shogo: Mobile Armor Division but I have no idea if that was just because I was a kid.

Overlooked? It was a critical and commercial success. The game is only barely 10 years old. But, yeah, Elite Force is really, really good with one of the best marketing slogans: "Set phasers to frag".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The sequel to that game wasn't as good, or at least it didn't hold my attention as long (I beat the first one.) I was surprised that EF was good at all, being a Star Trek game (they are usually quite bad).

To be honest, it's silly that there are not more good Star Trek games.

on topic: What is the difference between a PK3 and WAD file, really?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Chinook posted:

on topic: What is the difference between a PK3 and WAD file, really?

A PK3 is a zip file with a different name. A WAD file is a zip-like file format (no compression and completely different file structure) used in early id engines.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Oh, yeah, reminds me of PK-Unzip, a program I used in 1995 or so on my 486 Acer. :) So it's just used by Doom engines, I get it.

Edit: So, scoredoom. I love it, but I feel bad because I used jumping in making my first recorded score:
http://www.scoredoom.com/profile.php?playername=chinook

I forgot that I had jumping bound and hopped up to get a health pack that should've been out of my reach. Shouldn't jumping be somehow disabled in scoredoom to prevent cheesing levels? Currently, it sure isn't. I feel dirty.

Chinook fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 8, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Olivil posted:

Aside from the obvious Half-Life, glQuake, Quake II, Unreal Gold, Serious Sam and Deus Ex, do you have any suggestions of FPS from that era? Basically anything from Windows 95 to 2001-2002. I'm also taking suggestions for the DOS PC. :)

Most of the stuff I was going to recommend (NOLF, System Shock and Thief series), has already been listed, but here's two more:

Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri - singleplayer Tribes precursor, developed by Looking Glass
Descent - a 6DOF FPS in zero gravity

Also, if you're willing to run some of these games on a newer system, there's D2X-XL for Descent 1 and 2 (which probably won't run on era-appropriate hardware) and the high-resolution patch for System Shock 1 (which definitely won't).

Andore
Aug 27, 2003

I still play Team Fortress Classic regularly 12 years on. It's sad to see a mod that was once the most popular online game fall to about 200 active players but it still has a good community. The amount of customisation possible on the Half-Life engine is bananas. There are 3 types of servers in TFC: regular, skills and fun. Skills servers have unique maps and are very difficult but show how much can be done with conc grenades and rocket jumping. Fun servers have adventure, climbing, hunting and deathmatch-style maps. Using the AMX add-on things like speedruns and competitions are possible and the fun servers still have a lot of players on them with people still making new maps. TFC today reminds me a lot of Trackmania; everything feels hacked together, amateurish and rudimentary but somehow it all works.

My favourite activity on rock2 is trapping people in the protection suit 'closets' as they frantically try to escape while the door slowly closes on them:

The custom player models on fun maps crack me up:

The fun maps also have vehicles and there is a series of maps based on Jurassic Park which loads the next map automatically once players reach the end of each map. The AMXX mod lets donators to some servers have cosmetic perks like a golden umbrella.

Wildwest Shootout is a 4 team deathmatch map but do not desecrate the church for God is vengeful and will bring about a great flood:

This map was only released in the last few months. It is a complete recreation of the East Palace in Zelda: Link to the Past. One player is Link and goes through the dungeon collecting the map, key, bow and compass while the other players spawn as enemies and try to stop him. When you play as Link you can look up and there is a dungeon map to help you navigate. It has an ending sequence when a player beats the knights at the end.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Chinook posted:

Oh, yeah, reminds me of PK-Unzip, a program I used in 1995 or so on my 486 Acer. :) So it's just used by Doom engines, I get it.

Edit: So, scoredoom. I love it, but I feel bad because I used jumping in making my first recorded score:

I forgot that I had jumping bound and hopped up to get a health pack that should've been out of my reach. Shouldn't jumping be somehow disabled in scoredoom to prevent cheesing levels? Currently, it sure isn't. I feel dirty.

Nah, I jump all the time. I don't really feel like it's cheating, since there are plenty of wads that disable jumping entirely, so other than the basic ones (Doom/2/Final) I feel that if they didn't want me to jump, they'd disable it.

http://www.scoredoom.com/profile.php?playername=Tahlkora

It's great to have some new blood! Scoredoom is one of my favorite things to happen to this game in years.

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Chinook posted:

Hi, no, I did not disallow jumping, only if there is a MAPINFO lump forcing no-jumping. Some wads like Plutonia 2 have it. Initially this was so I could support zdoom specific maps, that required jumping. I realize that a majority of doom maps were not designed for jumping, but if everyone can jump in the map, then all is fair :) To me it adds some extra fun to old maps to use jump to find shortcuts. This is not much different than rocket jumping either.

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Andore posted:

This map was only released in the last few months. It is a complete recreation of the East Palace in Zelda: Link to the Past. One player is Link and goes through the dungeon collecting the map, key, bow and compass while the other players spawn as enemies and try to stop him. When you play as Link you can look up and there is a dungeon map to help you navigate. It has an ending sequence when a player beats the knights at the end.
Holy poo poo, this is awesome.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Olivil posted:

Aside from the obvious Half-Life, glQuake, Quake II, Unreal Gold, Serious Sam and Deus Ex, do you have any suggestions of FPS from that era? Basically anything from Windows 95 to 2001-2002. I'm also taking suggestions for the DOS PC. :)
I don't believe Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight has been mentioned yet. To paraphrase: it may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts, kid. Really good - huge - level design, 'classic' FPS mechanics (i.e. fast movement, twitch-aiming), character customisation, a storyline that branches into a Light and Dark Side endgame, quality hammy FMV cutscenes, and of course Jedi 'n poo poo before all that stuff became completely daft and boring. Challenging, atmospheric, and definitely worth the time of any FPS enthusiast.

If you're interested, The Massassi Temple is still online (huge repository of maps and mods), and there's also some good stuff at JK Hub; check out JK Enhanced anyway, it greatly improves a large number of models and textures in the game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Andore posted:

Fun Servers

What servers are you aware of that follow this sort of format? The only obvious one I could find was in Eastern Europe/bottom of the ocean/on mars and my outrageous ping makes simple strafe jumps impossible. I hope this isn't the only active one, I love games as toys and have been looking for more gldsource stuff other than sven coop.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Kakumei posted:

Nah, I jump all the time. I don't really feel like it's cheating, since there are plenty of wads that disable jumping entirely, so other than the basic ones (Doom/2/Final) I feel that if they didn't want me to jump, they'd disable it.

http://www.scoredoom.com/profile.php?playername=Tahlkora

It's great to have some new blood! Scoredoom is one of my favorite things to happen to this game in years.

ddraigcymraeg posted:

Hi, no, I did not disallow jumping, only if there is a MAPINFO lump forcing no-jumping. Some wads like Plutonia 2 have it. Initially this was so I could support zdoom specific maps, that required jumping. I realize that a majority of doom maps were not designed for jumping, but if everyone can jump in the map, then all is fair :) To me it adds some extra fun to old maps to use jump to find shortcuts. This is not much different than rocket jumping either.

Thanks! So when I select the difficulty on a map, does it not really make a difference in the score (or the actual difficulty)? I figure if I choose Nightmare, won't I get the same score as Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra-Violence? Or does that matter...?

ddraigcymraeg
Nov 22, 2003
nought

Chinook posted:

Thanks! So when I select the difficulty on a map, does it not really make a difference in the score (or the actual difficulty)? I figure if I choose Nightmare, won't I get the same score as Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra-Violence? Or does that matter...?

Yeah, you will get more points typically with UV, due to more monsters. Nightmare is not allowed for online leaderboards, due to infinite re-spawning, which changes the game. You'll also notice that lost souls spawned from pain elementals and monsters spawned from MAP30 boss cubes will not score points. This is to keep available points for a level consistent across multiple plays.
EDIT: Also monsters ressed by archies will not score points either.

ddraigcymraeg fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 10, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I know it's pretty far removed from what classic FPS's are supposed to be, but I've been playing quite a bit of ZDoom Wars in skulltag the last couple of evenings on one of the Grandvoid servers. If you've never played, it's a sort of resource/unit macro management wad. You play as one of several heroes from one of several Doom engine games (doom guy, hexen, heretic, strife, chexquest, ect) and spawn monsters belonging to your characters game and build armies to battle other players. It's got a fair bit of depth, though I'm still trying to figure out if it's well balanced.

I've had a great time learning to play through inferences, but there are guides available to give you a quick boost up:
http://hosted.drdteam.org/zdwars/Documentation/

Come play! The server IP is 77.75.105.80:17037

Andore
Aug 27, 2003

treat posted:

What servers are you aware of that follow this sort of format? The only obvious one I could find was in Eastern Europe/bottom of the ocean/on mars and my outrageous ping makes simple strafe jumps impossible. I hope this isn't the only active one, I love games as toys and have been looking for more gldsource stuff other than sven coop.

I'm in Europe so all the servers I know are mostly in the Netherlands, Poland or Russia - I'm not sure if there's any US fun or skill servers. I know that Gameservers.com don't have a brilliant reputation but their TFC servers come with an option to automatically install AMXX and Metamod which makes managing fun maps easier and fun servers only need about 10-15 player slots. If anyone decides to host a US fun server I can help them out - just send me a PM.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've had a sudden craving to play Spear of Destiny.

As I understand Wolf4SDL is the best way to do this. However I can't seem to get a custom windowed resolution. Windowed works fine but using the --res command makes the window massive and nothing is shown and --resf doesn't seem to take valid input.

Anyone got any ideas?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

I don't believe Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight has been mentioned yet. To paraphrase: it may not look like much, but it's got it where it counts, kid. Really good - huge - level design, 'classic' FPS mechanics (i.e. fast movement, twitch-aiming), character customisation, a storyline that branches into a Light and Dark Side endgame, quality hammy FMV cutscenes, and of course Jedi 'n poo poo before all that stuff became completely daft and boring. Challenging, atmospheric, and definitely worth the time of any FPS enthusiast.

If you're interested, The Massassi Temple is still online (huge repository of maps and mods), and there's also some good stuff at JK Hub; check out JK Enhanced anyway, it greatly improves a large number of models and textures in the game.

I just remembered I had the discs for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II sitting around and reinstalled it with the intention of playing using JK Enhanced. However, I'm experiencing a couple of bugs that make this impossible:

1.) Playing in Direct3D mode is making all 3D graphics stretch out towards the top left corner of the screen for some reason, obscuring everything horribly and making it impossible to play.

2.) Despite how the "Reverse mouse input" button is ticked, both axises are stuck in reverse. Up is down, left is right.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to do this even without the unofficial patch or JK Enhanced installed so it's not a problem with both of those. The only answers I found were "play with 3D acceleration off" which I can't do if I want to use JK Enhanced and "click the reverse mouse input" button which doesn't seem to fix anything at all.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I just remembered I had the discs for Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II sitting around and reinstalled it with the intention of playing using JK Enhanced. However, I'm experiencing a couple of bugs that make this impossible:

1.) Playing in Direct3D mode is making all 3D graphics stretch out towards the top left corner of the screen for some reason, obscuring everything horribly and making it impossible to play.

2.) Despite how the "Reverse mouse input" button is ticked, both axises are stuck in reverse. Up is down, left is right.

Any ideas on how to fix this? It seems to do this even without the unofficial patch or JK Enhanced installed so it's not a problem with both of those. The only answers I found were "play with 3D acceleration off" which I can't do if I want to use JK Enhanced and "click the reverse mouse input" button which doesn't seem to fix anything at all.
Have you got the 3D acceleration fix? If you don't, put the dll file in the main JK map (i.e. the one with the game's executable); that might help fix the graphics.

I don't believe I've ever come across your bizarre mouse issue, so I wouldn't really know what to do about it. I'm assuming you did try checking/unchecking the reverse-direction boxes on both the X- and Y-axis? Though rather unlikely, it might be that you were changing the setting for the Z-axis instead. If that's not it, then perhaps it's something to do with the mouse itself, or the software you're using for it - if you are using any. I can only recommend seeing if the issue persists when you're using a different (preferably a simple, non-gaming) mouse and/or when there is no proprietary mouse software running in the background.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

XausF1 posted:

Overlooked? It was a critical and commercial success. The game is only barely 10 years old. But, yeah, Elite Force is really, really good with one of the best marketing slogans: "Set phasers to frag".

It's certainly a drat sight better than the series it was based on.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sombrerotron posted:

I have to say that Jedi Knight really suffers from having played Jedi Knight 2 first. The gunplay is ok, but the lightsaber combat feels incredibly awkward and janky. Combine that with the way Force Speed works and most lightsaber duels turn into you and your opponent flying across the room at uncontrollable speed, flailing your lightsabers at each as you go past and praying. Saber combat in JK2 is much more controllable and satisfying (and looks drat good, too).

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I have to say that Jedi Knight really suffers from having played Jedi Knight 2 first. The gunplay is ok, but the lightsaber combat feels incredibly awkward and janky. Combine that with the way Force Speed works and most lightsaber duels turn into you and your opponent flying across the room at uncontrollable speed, flailing your lightsabers at each as you go past and praying. Saber combat in JK2 is much more controllable and satisfying (and looks drat good, too).
Lightsaber is combat is definitely hugely improved in JK2, no question about that, but as someone who's played DF2 online for several years I can assure you that dueling in the latter isn't as clumsy as you might believe. Timing is everything, and when playing against a human opponent there's a lot of pretty careful dodging and feinting involved. Of course, that's all assuming you're playing a game without Force powers; they're fine in SP (although I wouldn't know why you'd ever use Speed in SP lightsaber duels), but in MP they just get in the way of everything else and are prone to infuriating abuse. In my experience that also applies to JK2, though. Still, at least in DF2 fights there's no kick + backstab/roundhouse combinations to ruin everything.

Regardless, does any of this even matter? They're both worth playing, and I was specifically replying to a post requesting suggestions for old FPSs. There's no indication Olivil has already played JK2, either.

EDIT:

Olivil posted:

I did play Jedi Knight 2 :P but I'll at least try it, I actually have the CD but I never did!
All right, just keep in mind then that lightsaber combat is a lot less acrobatic and varied than in JK2. If it ends up really bothering you, though, there's some mods that you might like:

http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/1864.shtml
http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/2297.shtml
http://www.massassi.net/levels/files/1871.shtml

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 10, 2011

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Sombrerotron posted:

Lightsaber is combat is definitely hugely improved in JK2, no question about that, but as someone who's played DF2 online for several years I can assure you that dueling in the latter isn't as clumsy as you might believe. Timing is everything, and when playing against a human opponent there's a lot of pretty careful dodging and feinting involved. Of course, that's all assuming you're playing a game without Force powers; they're fine in SP (although I wouldn't know why you'd ever use Speed in SP lightsaber duels), but in MP they just get in the way of everything else and are prone to infuriating abuse. In my experience that also applies to JK2, though. Still, at least in DF2 fights there's no kick + backstab/roundhouse combinations to ruin everything.

Regardless, does any of this even matter? They're both worth playing, and I was specifically replying to a post requesting suggestions for old FPSs. There's no indication Olivil has already played JK2, either.

I did play Jedi Knight 2 :P but I'll at least try it, I actually have the CD but I never did!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Andore posted:

Awesome TFC mods.

Would you by chance have any links to where I can get those mods? I would like to try them.

Andore
Aug 27, 2003

I got the maps one at a time from various funservers over the years, some of which are gone now. I don't really know if there is a central place with all the maps. There's no mods required for any of the custom maps, they're usually just .bsp files with some custom music, textures and clever use of triggers which the servers download automatically through Steam. If anyone has a fun server I can upload some but I have a very slow upload speed. Here's a few more I found, I've included the names of the ones I can remember off-hand if you want to google for them.

In Axldrop 2 teams start on top of a large vent before the floor disappears. They pick up items like quad damage as they fall and then have to hold onto the flag until the next round.

A climb map of some description, great Windwaker-style texture work.

This is one of my favourites and quite common. It's called Heavy Machinery 2 and one team plays the operators while the others are the test subjects. The subjects have to make their way through an obstacle course while the operators are able to sink platforms and activate fires and crushers. The subjects can find their way into the control centre if they make it to the end where they can get revenge and slaughter the operators.

Someone made this weird Sonic map where 2 teams try to make it through loop-de-loops and platforms while being able to pot-shot at each other and grab powerups.

Crazy golf. One player is the ball and another is a sniper and fires the ball into various holes.

Smurf Escape. Very hard climb map where you have to find hidden items like hats that protect you from falling boulders.

Not sure about these ones. I think the middle one was actually a run of the mill CTF map but just had some crazy textures.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

Have you got the 3D acceleration fix? If you don't, put the dll file in the main JK map (i.e. the one with the game's executable); that might help fix the graphics.

I don't believe I've ever come across your bizarre mouse issue, so I wouldn't really know what to do about it. I'm assuming you did try checking/unchecking the reverse-direction boxes on both the X- and Y-axis? Though rather unlikely, it might be that you were changing the setting for the Z-axis instead. If that's not it, then perhaps it's something to do with the mouse itself, or the software you're using for it - if you are using any. I can only recommend seeing if the issue persists when you're using a different (preferably a simple, non-gaming) mouse and/or when there is no proprietary mouse software running in the background.

The main JK map? I have no idea what that means, but if you're talking about just /LucasArts/Jedi Knight where JK.exe is, then it doesn't appear to do anything. There was no ddraw.dll there in the first place for it to replace so I don't know if I put it in the right spot.

As for the mouse, it's just an old Microsoft wireless mouse. No software or anything. I think I have encountered this issue a couple of other times with no solution in sight.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The main JK map? I have no idea what that means, but if you're talking about just /LucasArts/Jedi Knight where JK.exe is, then it doesn't appear to do anything. There was no ddraw.dll there in the first place for it to replace so I don't know if I put it in the right spot.
It's the right spot, so considering that it's not helping the issue is possibly related to your 3D card's drivers and/or settings. Have you tried running the game with a 'minimum/safe' 3D configuration (i.e. without AA/aniso or things like Catalyst AI)?

quote:

As for the mouse, it's just an old Microsoft wireless mouse. No software or anything. I think I have encountered this issue a couple of other times with no solution in sight.
Did you ever try connecting a regular wired mouse? I'm sort of grasping at straws here, but you just never know.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

It's the right spot, so considering that it's not helping the issue is possibly related to your 3D card's drivers and/or settings. Have you tried running the game with a 'minimum/safe' 3D configuration (i.e. without AA/aniso or things like Catalyst AI)?
Did you ever try connecting a regular wired mouse? I'm sort of grasping at straws here, but you just never know.

The lowest I could set it under vanilla Display Properties (under the Hardware Acceleration slider bar) without it making JK crash in some way still persisted in doing that horrible stretching thing. Setting all the options for JK.exe to "Off" in NVIDIA Control Panel has done nothing to solve it either. This is really starting to make me mad as setting to software lets me see the models but gives me grainy rainbow textures, but keeping it in Direct3D persists in stretching everything out to the point that I can barely make out what's happening. If it helps any, this is on an EVGA GeForce 9500 GT.

As for the mouse problem, I figured it out. Apparently each setting can be individually reversed? That's kind of dumb in light of the fact that no other game I've ever played did it that way.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

The lowest I could set it under vanilla Display Properties (under the Hardware Acceleration slider bar) without it making JK crash in some way still persisted in doing that horrible stretching thing. Setting all the options for JK.exe to "Off" in NVIDIA Control Panel has done nothing to solve it either. This is really starting to make me mad as setting to software lets me see the models but gives me grainy rainbow textures, but keeping it in Direct3D persists in stretching everything out to the point that I can barely make out what's happening. If it helps any, this is on an EVGA GeForce 9500 GT.
Unfortunately I've got an ATI card, so I can't really help with any specific NVIDIA issues. Best I can say is to either update your drivers or try reverting to considerably older ones (use Driver Sweeper in the latter case).

Software mode should probably work properly if you change the compatibility settings of JK.exe properties (or those of whatever shortcut you may be using) to 256 colours - at least if you're not using JKE or any other mods installed that use 16-bit colours, but since you already said you want to use JKE I realise this is a less-than-satisfactory solution.

Perhaps the so-called JK Unofficial Patch may help. Alternatively, if you've already installed JKE, it's conceivable that that's somehow messing things up. If all else fails, you could try a clean install.

quote:

As for the mouse problem, I figured it out. Apparently each setting can be individually reversed? That's kind of dumb in light of the fact that no other game I've ever played did it that way.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but when I was talking about the X-, Y-, and Z-axis earlier I meant to say that there were separate settings for each of them. d:unsmith:b

On a semi-unrelated note, in looking around for things that could help I came across this (little :nws:, mind), which is either some horrible crime against website design and human civilisation in general or some beautiful, almost dadaist, genius work of modern art.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Andore posted:

That reminds me of one or two spots in Afraid of Monsters. I'm not sure if they're the same textures, but they might be.

Edit: You can download AoM here for goldsource!

Ayin fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 12, 2011

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

I remember having a problem like that. The solution I found involved using a commandline switch to enable advanced video options and messing with some renderer settings.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ayin posted:

That reminds me of one or two spots in Afraid of Monsters. I'm not sure if they're the same textures, but they might be.

I'm just going to come out and say it: gently caress Afraid of Monsters. It's probably the scariest game I've ever played, and I didn't get through five levels.

That LP is great,though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm just going to come out and say it: gently caress Afraid of Monsters. It's probably the scariest game I've ever played, and I didn't get through five levels.

That LP is great,though.

I can't even place the exact thing that makes it terrifying, but it definitely is.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Lork posted:

I remember having a problem like that. The solution I found involved using a commandline switch to enable advanced video options and messing with some renderer settings.
That would be -displayconfig. There's not a whole lot to change, but if it worked for you it definitely sounds like it's worth a shot!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr E posted:

I can't even place the exact thing that makes it terrifying, but it definitely is.

For me, it's the absolute pitch-black enviroments, the lovely weapons or strong enemies, the amount of damage you take, and just the whole atmosphere. It's like you're not really in the real world but in something pretending to be the real world just long enough to kill you.

It's all very sinister and I heartily recommend either the game or the LP to people who enjoy horror.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Gah. I've just played through Doom with Brutal Doom, loved it, and now I'm trying to get hold of Doom 2. The hitch is that I'm on Linux, and as far as I know Doom 2 is only available through this new-fangled Steam thingamajig. It seems to want me to install software that doesn't work on Linux before it will let me buy things. Is there a way I can just give someone money and get the IWAD in exchange? This shouldn't be hard. :(

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

pumpinglemma posted:

Gah. I've just played through Doom with Brutal Doom, loved it, and now I'm trying to get hold of Doom 2. The hitch is that I'm on Linux, and as far as I know Doom 2 is only available through this new-fangled Steam thingamajig. It seems to want me to install software that doesn't work on Linux before it will let me buy things. Is there a way I can just give someone money and get the IWAD in exchange? This shouldn't be hard. :(
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom2/index8fb4.html?game_section=buy

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Sombrerotron posted:

Unfortunately I've got an ATI card, so I can't really help with any specific NVIDIA issues. Best I can say is to either update your drivers or try reverting to considerably older ones (use Driver Sweeper in the latter case).

Software mode should probably work properly if you change the compatibility settings of JK.exe properties (or those of whatever shortcut you may be using) to 256 colours - at least if you're not using JKE or any other mods installed that use 16-bit colours, but since you already said you want to use JKE I realise this is a less-than-satisfactory solution.

Perhaps the so-called JK Unofficial Patch may help. Alternatively, if you've already installed JKE, it's conceivable that that's somehow messing things up. If all else fails, you could try a clean install.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but when I was talking about the X-, Y-, and Z-axis earlier I meant to say that there were separate settings for each of them. d:unsmith:b

On a semi-unrelated note, in looking around for things that could help I came across this (little :nws:, mind), which is either some horrible crime against website design and human civilisation in general or some beautiful, almost dadaist, genius work of modern art.

Nothing known to man seems to fix this problem. I've tried using the unpatched EXE with no mods, that still does it. I've tried using just the Unofficial Patch, that still does it. The only option that seems to work at all is using the 8-bit version of the JKE set, which has some textures that truly look like barf. Either that or rolling back my display drivers, which seems like an awful lot of work just to get one game to work right and, knowing my track record, would probably find a way to destroy my computer.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Steam will work through WINE. Don't get ripped off by id, Doom 2 is $10 on Steam and $20 on their site.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pumpinglemma posted:

Steam runs fine in Wine; furthermore, if your distro has PlayOnLinux in the repositories (it should), that has a canned Steam config - which means it will automatically handle downloading and installing Steam, a Steam-friendly wine version, and all of the dependencies.

Do that, buy and install Doom 2, grab the IWADs from the Steam install directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Was looking for funny examples of Deus Ex's voice talent for the PS3 games thread, and stumbled upon... this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxFB4cjXOCA

That's awesome. The cat models in Deus Ex are adorable, and this video just had me rolling. :3: