Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Le0 posted:

I noticed that when using couchpotato, it finds movies but the category is not correctly set to movies anymore. What gives?

It actually searches TMDB since they have an actual API and then when it scrapes for info it uses IMDB...TMDB doesn't have every movie IMDB does. You can always use the userscript and add to CP direct from IMDB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Thermopyle posted:

It actually searches TMDB since they have an actual API and then when it scrapes for info it uses IMDB...TMDB doesn't have every movie IMDB does. You can always use the userscript and add to CP direct from IMDB.

oh okay thank you. Going to find that userscript then
when going to settings, install userscript I get an odd page with just text and nothing installs

Le0 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 5, 2011

Copernico
Feb 26, 2011
Just received my first repair failed not enough repair blocks error message. The media I downloaded was 900+ days old(and 6.9 gigs) but I thought blocknew's retention of 1000 and some odd days would handle it. Perhaps it's time to move to a different provider?

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008

Copernico posted:

Just received my first repair failed not enough repair blocks error message. The media I downloaded was 900+ days old(and 6.9 gigs) but I thought blocknew's retention of 1000 and some odd days would handle it. Perhaps it's time to move to a different provider?

Could just be a bad upload. I've had some that were missing on 3 different servers.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

quote:

************************ SABnzbd 0.6.7 ************************

What's new:
- Prevent immediate exit after startup when queue is empty and
an end-of-queue action like "shutdown" was set
- Fix failure to launch browser when clicking shortcut the second time
- Allow jobs still waiting for post-processing to be deleted
- Plush: button "Purge failed NZBs & delete files" will now actually delete files
- Classic/smpl: add link "Purge failed NZBs & delete files"
- Plush: fix flashing top menu in Safari 5.1

Really glad the 'delete files' button works now. I had almost 50GB of stuff to delete the other week.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I made a thread over at the official sabnzbd forums but I figured I'd post my issue here and see if anyone had any ideas on what the problem could be:

Setup: 10.7 Lion with the latest version of sabnzbd. Asus RT-N56U Router with a NTFS-formatted drive attached with SMB. I am using Paragon NTFS to enable write access to the NTFS drive.

I have a networked drive that I can read and write to with no issue in finder. I tried setting my complete folder to a location on the networked drive and in the download section, it shows the correct hard drive space remaining and doesn't give me any errors. After I download a file and it attempts to unpack it on the network drive, the items will show up as "complete" and say it's being moved, but when I go into the complete folder on the networked drive, the item's folder is there but it doesn't contain any of the actual files. If I go into the incomplete folder on the computer running sabnzbd, the downloaded file is complete in it.

I also get this error:
Error removing workdir (" ")

If I set my incomplete path to the networked drive, the Download immediately fails and I get:

» URL Fetching failed; Unusable NZB file, Try again

So here's the thing: if I set the path to incomplete and complete folders to the computer running sabnzbd and have something like SickBeard run a script to move the file over to the networked drive, Sickbeard has no problems moving the files over.

Does anyone have any ideas why sabnzbd isn't playing nice with my networked drive but sickbeard and finder do? Any ideas?

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg
Was it working before you upgraded to Lion? I know they are using a totally different implementation of SMB sharing now, maybe something to do with that?

Corbet posted:

Setup: 10.7 Lion with the latest version of sabnzbd. Asus RT-N56U Router with a NTFS-formatted drive attached with SMB. I am using Paragon NTFS to enable write access to the NTFS drive.
This is unnecessary for a drive shared via the network. You only need it if you're attaching the drive directly to your Mac. SMB abstracts the file system, so it doesn't matter if it's NTFS, FAT32, ExFAT, ext4, whatever, OS X can still write to it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Disgustipated posted:

Was it working before you upgraded to Lion? I know they are using a totally different implementation of SMB sharing now, maybe something to do with that?

This is unnecessary for a drive shared via the network. You only need it if you're attaching the drive directly to your Mac. SMB abstracts the file system, so it doesn't matter if it's NTFS, FAT32, ExFAT, ext4, whatever, OS X can still write to it.

While I've heard that it's unnecessary for a shared network drive, I was having some issues writing to the NTFS networked drive on a before I ran into the sabnzbd issue.

I would attempt to write to it, it would bring up the "copying..." box and then OS X would ask me for a password. After I entered a password, I'd get an error and it would leave a 0 KB version of the file I was attempting to copy on the network drive. I installed Paragon NTFS (after removing MacFUSE, which could have been the culprit) and now I can write to it just fine. While I don't think Paragon NTFS fixed the problem (maybe it was the restart after installing paragon?), there's no harm in keeping Paragon NTFS on my computer.

I'm not sure if it worked before upgrading to Lion, I just purchased the router that lets me attach an external drive to. The admin on the sabnzbd forums is having me forward a debug log so now I'm just waiting to see what they say.

edit: Apparently the issue has to do with the fact that sabnzbd uses Snow Leopard's Python instead of the Lions. My only options are to wait until they release a new edition that has Lion's Python or try and compile the program myself.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 8, 2011

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
so I feel like an rear end in a top hat, I went to the Couchpotato suggestions forum and ask to add a feature where instead of just searching for the quality you set and not finding it and stopping there, to add a possibility to keep Couchpotato searching for other type of qualities.

Only thing is that this feature already exist, settings->quality->create custom quality :doh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This is probably not even remotely possible, but I figured I'd toss it out here anyway. Is there a way to make SAB download specific files? Say you have a multi-set nzb that contains a bunch of ISOs, but you want to download a specific ISO first. Is there a way to do this manually or automatically?

My internet is super loving slow and waiting on a 20gb download sucks.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

EC posted:

This is probably not even remotely possible, but I figured I'd toss it out here anyway. Is there a way to make SAB download specific files? Say you have a multi-set nzb that contains a bunch of ISOs, but you want to download a specific ISO first. Is there a way to do this manually or automatically?

My internet is super loving slow and waiting on a 20gb download sucks.

Click the queue entry and rearrange the files.
It won't post process until they're all done so next time don't use combined nzbs.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

duz posted:

Click the queue entry and rearrange the files.
It won't post process until they're all done so next time don't use combined nzbs.

Man, I don't why I never thought to click the queue entry. I had no idea that was there. Thanks!

Sometimes you get stuck with combined nzbs, this will save me some time for sure.

Ratguy
Aug 15, 2001

Mmmmmm.... Rat
You could also try creating a custom .nzb using binsearch. Search for the set there, open up the list of files, click the check box next to the ones you want, then click on create nzb. Open up the .nzb and run the job in SAB.

I've used this method a few times when trying to re-download portions of a file that had failed. It saved me having to re-download the entire thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've been an easynews subscriber for years, pretty much only used the web front end to find stuff, but they have much better NNTP retention (since I get sent to astraweb servers anyway), but Holy loving poo poo is SABNZBD+ + SickBeard and CouchPotato amazing. It's just mind boggling how well it all works.

If anyone is on the fence about this, DO IT.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

skipdogg posted:

I've been an easynews subscriber for years, pretty much only used the web front end to find stuff, but they have much better NNTP retention (since I get sent to astraweb servers anyway), but Holy loving poo poo is SABNZBD+ + SickBeard and CouchPotato amazing. It's just mind boggling how well it all works.

If anyone is on the fence about this, DO IT.

I still haven't been able to get couch potato to work since my videoETA searches started failing.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong in regards to the script and CouchPotato? I moved the script to my script folder and had CouchPotato snatch a file but it didn't correctly switch the category and instead it says "Default" with no script to run selected. I made sure that the CouchPotato script is correctly allocated to the movies category.

I don't remember having to do anything special to make Sickbeard's files apply the "TV" category and sabToSickbeard script. I'm using NZB Matrix, if that matters.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 13, 2011

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

smackfu posted:

Are Easynews and Supernews using the same backend? I like the web search for Easynews to find single files easily, and will probably keep it just for that, but it has always had poor retention. So I figured I would sign up for the $99 Supernews deal to get access to older stuff.

Only after I did that, I went and looked at the actual Easynews retention, to fill it in in SABNZBD, and it is actually 1000 days+ for NNTP (only 150 days for web though.)

So I'm wondering if I actually gained anything by spending that $99.

I've connected to lots of different servers via NNTP with easynews. highwinds, astraweb, and a couple others. Haven't noticed a pattern really, not sure how it works, but as long as you have free gigs the NNTP with easynews seems fine.

I have 500 gigs banked right now.. or I did anyway, so as I deplete those I'll probably jump on the 99 dollar supernews as well. My wife likes the web frontend of easynews so I'll probably keep it for a while.

Corbet posted:

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong in regards to the script and CouchPotato? I moved the script to my script folder and had CouchPotato snatch a file but it didn't correctly switch the category and instead it says "Default" with no script to run selected. I made sure that the CouchPotato script is correctly allocated to the movies category.

I don't remember having to do anything special to make Sickbeard's files apply the "TV" category and sabToSickbeard script. I'm using NZB Matrix, if that matters.

Does CP have a script? I don't have one in my setup. I had to add the Movies category to SAB, and tell it to put the files in downloads/complete/movies then have CP watch the /complete/movies folder and it just works from there.

If I look at SAB, CP doesn't seem to do anything but add the NZB to SAB with the Movies category, and then watch a folder for it to finish, when it's done it does the post processing. It doesn't seem to work like SickBeard does.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

skipdogg posted:

I've connected to lots of different servers via NNTP with easynews.
No you haven't. Easynews is a Highwinds provider. What you think is you connecting to other hosts are the message ID's of articles posted via other hosts. When someone posts to Usenet via Supernews, they get a Supernews Message ID. When they post via Newshosting, they get a Newshosting Message ID. You're still only ever downloading via Easynews, which is provided by Highwinds.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Read the OP

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 16, 2011

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What do y'all do when you end up with a password protected file? I've tried googling around to find the password, as well as checking the comments on that particular nzb, but I've had no luck. Is there a recommended program for brute forcing the password? This one particular nzb is something my wife wants that I can't another version.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

EC posted:

What do y'all do when you end up with a password protected file? I've tried googling around to find the password, as well as checking the comments on that particular nzb, but I've had no luck. Is there a recommended program for brute forcing the password? This one particular nzb is something my wife wants that I can't another version.

Just delete and try to find it somewhere else or in a different post. Password protected rars are almost always trojans, and if not they're posts for a private group.

There are some programs that can use gpus to brute force passworded archives, but unless they did something dumb like use a six letter password you'll need several high end gpus and a week of waiting to break those.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
drat. The only other version is like 9gb. Oh well...

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
I have about 10 files that are all broken and in need of repair. I've tried redownloading them but no luck. I even purchased 5gb from Blocknews to see if I could get the missing pieces there but nope.

Looks like I'm screwed.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Ingram posted:

I have about 10 files that are all broken and in need of repair. I've tried redownloading them but no luck. I even purchased 5gb from Blocknews to see if I could get the missing pieces there but nope.

Looks like I'm screwed.

Who's your usenet provider, and how old are the posts you're trying to download? I was using Newsgroupdirect for a while, and then Newsdemon, and had trouble with a lot of older posts being incomplete and irreparable, even with Blocknews as a backup. Last month I switched to Supernews when they upped their retention (1099 days as of this post), and I haven't had a single incomplete file since. I was even able to download parts to repair the files that were incomplete from NGD or Newsdemon. If you're using a lovely Highwinds reseller, get a new provider.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Mthrboard posted:

Who's your usenet provider

Astraweb reseller/ISP, with Blocknews as backup. The files were about 120 days old. About 9-11 pieces missing.

I ended up deleting them and getting them again from elsewhere so not a huge issue, just a pain wasting quota.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
A "problem" (if you'd even call it that) which I've noticed is that Sickbeard only seems to be searching for shows after it thinks they aired, which I think is entirely based on the system time of my machine. I'm on the west coast, so most things will have already aired and be uploaded by the time (it seems) that Sickbeard even gets around to being like "Oh hey this aired, let me start looking for it."

Is there a way to tell Sickbeard to just start searching for "upcoming" episodes on the day they're supposed to air or something?

reboot
May 6, 2011
I pay for the giganews diamond plan right now, and get 50 connections. I use Grabit as my downloading program which only goes to 32... Would switching to Supernews and only getting 30 connections hamper my speed at all? Or should i just say gently caress it and save the 20 extra bucks a month and switch?

Edit: Also, will my giganews accelerator work with Supernews as well?

reboot fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 22, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

reboot posted:

I pay for the giganews diamond plan right now, and get 50 connections. I use Grabit as my downloading program which only goes to 32... Would switching to Supernews and only getting 30 connections hamper my speed at all? Or should i just say gently caress it and save the 20 extra bucks a month and switch?
There is no situation I have come across where 50 connections actually HELPS speeds. If you can't get your max downstream with Supernews, I can only assume you have some sort of godlike connection and would be disappointed by everything.

reboot posted:

Edit: Also, will my giganews accelerator work with Supernews as well?
Giganews Accelerator just compresses headers and supplies SSL for clients that don't support SSL natively. There is zero reason to bother with this.

reboot
May 6, 2011

inpheaux posted:

There is no situation I have come across where 50 connections actually HELPS speeds. If you can't get your max downstream with Supernews, I can only assume you have some sort of godlike connection and would be disappointed by everything.

Giganews Accelerator just compresses headers and supplies SSL for clients that don't support SSL natively. There is zero reason to bother with this.

Alright cool, thanks. And yeah i have a pretty nice connection (50 meg) and i seem to be maxing it out while downloading. (I get 6.3-5MBPS)

Gonna go cancel my giganews account and go sign up with supernews. Thanks a ton.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

reboot posted:

Alright cool, thanks. And yeah i have a pretty nice connection (50 meg) and i seem to be maxing it out while downloading. (I get 6.3-5MBPS)

Gonna go cancel my giganews account and go sign up with supernews. Thanks a ton.

FWIW, I routinely break 7MB/s with Supernews and my 60 meg internet connection.

Incidently...that amount of speed is almost worthless to me. I'm almost never just sitting around waiting for something to download. Sickbeard and Couchpotato download stuff, and when I want to watch stuff I sit down and watch what I haven't seen yet.

I'd downgrade to a 20 megabit connection if only it didn't have a 250GB cap on Charter.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 22, 2011

reboot
May 6, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I routinely break 7MB/s with Supernews and my 60 meg internet connection.

Incidently...that amount of speed is almost worthless to me. I'm almost never just sitting around waiting for something to download. Sickbeard and Couchpotato download stuff, and when I want to watch stuff I sit down and watch what I haven't seen yet.

I'd downgrade to a 20 megabit connection if only it didn't have a 250GB cap on Charter.

I actually just upgraded from 30 to 50. I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to downloading something, so i usually want it as fast as possible.

Also, i use Grabit as my downloading program, and they charge me like $1.29 or something per month to use their search tool. The only reason i keep paying for it is because it is so insanely simple to use. How is Couchpotato and Sickbeard when it comes to simplicity?

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

reboot posted:

I actually just upgraded from 30 to 50. I'm pretty compulsive when it comes to downloading something, so i usually want it as fast as possible.
More connections does not always mean faster downloads. We've actually found that sometimes it makes things SLOWER due to the overhead of constantly opening and closing the connections.

reboot posted:

Also, i use Grabit as my downloading program, and they charge me like $1.29 or something per month to use their search tool. The only reason i keep paying for it is because it is so insanely simple to use. How is Couchpotato and Sickbeard when it comes to simplicity?
Once it's set up, downloading stuff with SABnzbd / Sickbeard / CouchPotato / Whatever indexer you want is completely effortless. Most of the time I don't have to do ANYTHING. Stuff just appears, often before I expect it to.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

io_burn posted:

A "problem" (if you'd even call it that) which I've noticed is that Sickbeard only seems to be searching for shows after it thinks they aired, which I think is entirely based on the system time of my machine. I'm on the west coast, so most things will have already aired and be uploaded by the time (it seems) that Sickbeard even gets around to being like "Oh hey this aired, let me start looking for it."

Is there a way to tell Sickbeard to just start searching for "upcoming" episodes on the day they're supposed to air or something?

My situation is the same as yours except I have no problem seeing things appear soon after EST times while on the west coast. The only difference I can think of is that my Sickbeard is set to search every 10 minutes along with a custom quality filter(grab standard, replace with HD later). Perhaps try messing with those?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Australia, so sickbeard starts up a day in advance. First world problems :qq:.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

reboot posted:

I've had a 50m connection for nearly a year now and have never had trouble maxing it out with four connections to Supernews.

The reason connections matter in some situations goes back to how the NNTP protocol works. The connection is established, an article is requested, it's transferred, then another is requested, repeat until done.

Where connections help is when the latency on the connection is high enough that it's a significant percentage of the article transfer time. Having two or more connections going means that it's less likely for all connections to be in between transfers at any given time, thus meaning you aren't wasting time idling while waiting for data.

Basically this means that high connection counts are handy in two main situations:

1. Connections with a high latency for their bandwidth (satellite would be the common example, some cellular systems do this as well).
2. Downloading a large number of small articles. This should be a rare problem in the binary usenet world, but who knows what some idiots might do.

The correct number of connections varies for each internet connection, but I think it's safe to say that if you need more than 10 for best performance on a DOCSIS (Cable) or DSL based connection (gig fiber users in such lucky areas are obviously another story) that's probably a sign of something being wrong.

quote:

Any of the major NZB search engines will be just as good as Grabit's if not better. One of those, SABnzbd, and the relevant easy download extension for your browser of choice should get you to at least equalling your current setup if not beating it entirely without configuration.

Sickbeard and Couch Potato make things so easy it's not funny. Tell them what you want and point them at your SAB install and search accounts, that's it. Everything else is automatic.

If you have XBMC Sickbeard can even add shows to the library as they're downloaded. I have a shared library set up, so when something's posted Sickbeard finds it usually within 30 minutes, downloads it, verifies, repairs if needed, extracts, renames it appropriately, puts it in the right spot, and updates the library. It's now available on every TV in my apartment.

e: So I did some actual research and think I have the basic formula...

My latency to Supernews is 25 milliseconds. At 50mbit/sec, that means I can transfer 160kB in the time it takes to send a command for the next article and receive a response (assuming instant requests for next data from my client and instant responses from the server, obviously real-world will be worse).

An average binary post on Usenet seems to be made up of 400kB articles. Some are significantly larger, others are smaller, and some stuff I've found on standard sizes indicates that 500kB is considered a maximum to ensure acceptance by all servers. At my speed the content of the article transfers in approximately 60 milliseconds.

If I'm doing my math correctly, this means with one connection under ideal conditions the best average transfer rate I could hope to get for posts with "standard" 400kB articles would be a bit short of 36mbit/sec.

With multiple connections it essentially becomes a statistics game. Every article is a different length, so no matter how many connections you have it's possible for all of them to be requesting a new article at the same time, but more makes it less and less likely. If I was to use two connections, I'd probably have at least a partial overlap of wait periods every 3 or so articles (or about three times a second) by the above numbers.

I know nothing about statistics so I'm only guessing on the overlap frequency above and won't even try to figure it out for higher number of connections, but that's the basic idea. Every additional connection significantly reduces the chances of any downtime, so you rapidly reach a point where it's happening so infrequently that normal fluctuations in internet speed overwhelm any effects of additional connections.

NNTP apparently supports pipelining, which I would think should solve this problem by allowing the client to queue requests for articles and have them served off in a big stream, but there must be either limited support or a problem I'm overlooking as that obviously is not the case.

FTP and many other protocols suffer from the same problem when transferring a lot of small files over a high-speed connection. The one command, one file approach worked fine when transferring even small files took minutes so a second or so delay between them wasn't a big deal, but modern networks have changed the transfer time side of the equation while the speed of light means latencies rarely improve by significant amounts.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 22, 2011

reboot
May 6, 2011

wolrah posted:

Awesome stuff

Thanks for the awesome explanation. I'll try out SABnzbd, Sickbeard and Couch potato.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
iOS app for CouchPotato was just released, albeit for jailbroken devices only. $2.

So far I dig it. You can look at your watchlist, search for new movies, or look at a recent list of movies that are in theaters (I guess?). Adding movies to your watchlist prompts you for the quality you want to look for it in, including any custom qualities you've built.

It'll be way easier to add movies using my phone now, which is almost the only time I think about using CouchPotato.

natsea
May 31, 2005
I can't get SABNZBD to launch on a Macbook OS X version 10.5.8. I've tried to install it a couple of times, and restart the computer. I download the dmg from sourceforge, and then copy it over to the Applications folder and when I try to launch it the first time it asks if I am sure because I am opening a file downloaded from the internet. The icon doesn't pop up on the toolbar up top, and I can't access it on http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd. Any suggestions?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

natsea posted:

I can't get SABNZBD to launch on a Macbook OS X version 10.5.8. I've tried to install it a couple of times, and restart the computer. I download the dmg from sourceforge, and then copy it over to the Applications folder and when I try to launch it the first time it asks if I am sure because I am opening a file downloaded from the internet. The icon doesn't pop up on the toolbar up top, and I can't access it on http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd. Any suggestions?

Try just http://localhost:8080/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

natsea
May 31, 2005

Corbet posted:

Try just http://localhost:8080/

Doesn't work either.