Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

brc64 posted:

contract...

I don't know what your pay was before they let you go, but at that rate, I would take the contracting job and just eat the taxes/insurance issues. That means you have a solid 3 months that isn't a gap on your resume, and possibility for something full time.

Do they mention any moving of user's workstations in the job description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Moey posted:

Do they mention any moving of user's workstations in the job description?
You know, I saw that you were the most recent post, and my first thought was "What's Movey doing in my job thread?"

Thanks all for the advice. I do not believe the position is worth the contract rate, which is why I was asking about pay cuts. I'm shooting for about $65k, but would of course love to go higher than that. I am in the bizarre situation now where I actually have lots of different prospects, and may have my pick of several different jobs, so I'm trying to compare and contrast and weigh long term options as best I can. Year of the job, indeed!

Tulenian
Sep 15, 2007

Getting my 'burg on.
Woo. My team is looking to expand so here's our current job opening (most of the text is trimmed out here, PM me if you want the full description):
What we do

quote:

Our team owns the software and systems that help our company's massive developer community turn revolutionary ideas into code running on production servers. Our systems make it possible for every developer to rapidly change their running applications without ever having to take an outage. With a few mouse clicks, or a fully automated continuous deployment workflow, engineers can bring code changes and new features to the customer, or dynamically shape the size of their fleet all because of the magic we provide.
What we're looking for

quote:

Basic Qualifications:
  • Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or 4+ year
    relevant work experience
  • 2+ years professional experience in software development
  • Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
  • Computer Science fundamentals in data structures
  • Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving,
    and complexity analysis
  • Proficiency in at least one modern programming language such as C,
    C++, Java, or Perl
Preferred Qualifications:
  • Experience building complex software systems that have been
    successfully delivered to customers
  • Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best
    practices for the full software development life cycle, including
    coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build
    processes, testing, and operations
  • Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual
    launch of the project
  • Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and
    management to collect requirements, describe software product
    features, and technical designs.
  • Experience with Linux, SQL, and Ruby

Approximate opening date: Immediate

Benefits: Health, dental, vision, 401k matching, relocation assistance

Notes: My team in particular is looking for a non-entry level SDE (thus the 2 years experience requirement). If you're fresh out of college but interested in the problem space let me know and I can look into openings on some of our other sister teams.

Contact: PM me if you're interested and I can send you more information about the company, our team, or give more information about the interesting problems in our space.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

e: no jobs for you, slowpokes.

bort fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 11, 2011

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
I apologize if this isn't the place for this question but it seems on topic enough. I consider myself a pretty drat good IT guy. I am 24 and have held a paid technical position since I was 15 doing everything from desktop support to server management and deployment. My problem? I suck as college, I do great in all my tech classes but I don't have a math head and am struggling greatly both financially and academically to get my BA in information science. An option I have is to change my sights and shoot for an associates instead.

My question for you employers out there. Am I better off axing my current job, setting myself deeper into debt and figuring out how to get a BA, or cut my losses, get my associates and dive into certifications? I have a stacked resume of 4 two-year+ jobs where I was the sole IT guy at a couple businesses of varying sizes and complexity, plus some other odds and ends side jobs, with letters of recommendation to match.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!

Quarantini posted:

I apologize if this isn't the place for this question but it seems on topic enough. I consider myself a pretty drat good IT guy. I am 24 and have held a paid technical position since I was 15 doing everything from desktop support to server management and deployment. My problem? I suck as college, I do great in all my tech classes but I don't have a math head and am struggling greatly both financially and academically to get my BA in information science. An option I have is to change my sights and shoot for an associates instead.

My question for you employers out there. Am I better off axing my current job, setting myself deeper into debt and figuring out how to get a BA, or cut my losses, get my associates and dive into certifications? I have a stacked resume of 4 two-year+ jobs where I was the sole IT guy at a couple businesses of varying sizes and complexity, plus some other odds and ends side jobs, with letters of recommendation to match.

BA of information sciences? Shouldn't that be a BS? I didn't really have to do too much math to get my BS in Applied Networking and Sys Admin (focused in security) - maybe you should be looking for a program more like that?

I would probably go for the associates and certifications. People will be suspicious, but you do have an associates and a theoretical plethora of certs. That should get your foot in the door to blow them away in the interview. Is it really worth more debt to be not much better off? People aren't going to give you interviews just because you have a BA. You will need the certs anyway. Why not buckle down and get really dirty with some tough certifications for what you want to do. Take it from being a server manager to "I loving RULE RED HAT" or similar.

Quarantini
Aug 9, 2010
err, correct, I meant a BS. It's late.

Anyways, The maths I'm struggling with are discreet logic, stat, etc. The public school system I attended had the lowest math scores in the entire state, and I simply don't have a good background in math, and because of how math builds on itself I now realize that I'm simply never going to be good at it. I'm not a comp-sci guy so my lack of math skills don't really concern me in the real world, but it's loving up my life as of now.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!
There must be something like a campus tutor you can go to get some help. I'd do that before giving up and getting an associates, just don't let it get you down. Once you get through that, the amount of math you will regularly apply is pretty minimal.

However, the better you are at math the more money you are likely to make, this is true for our field as well. Eventually you are going to get to the point where you are doing reporting and other mgmt stuff, you will need to be able to do stats for that. What is good about discrete and stats is the necessary fundamentals are fairly slim compared to calc III. While your lower education clearly left you lacking, its nothing you can't make up. Can you handle binary for networking? You should really strive to get at least that down.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Check out the Khan Academy. They have youtube videos which break down math topics pretty clearly.

Do what you can to push through and finish school. If you quit, you probably won't pick it up again and it's an annoying hole in the resume. Keep in mind that your GPA really only matters for that first job or grad school. Just get through it and get your degree. Computer Science, I found, was so theoretical it almost never applied to my job and most of what they taught us was dated by the time it hit textbooks and curriculum. You're not necessarily there to learn job skills, it's just a rite of passage and shows an employer that you can finish a big undertaking that you start.

When I sucked at a class, I'd go to professor office hours and get to know T.A.s so that the people running the course both knew I was struggling and liked me.

my CS degree is a B.A.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Quarantini posted:

gently caress it. I would hire you as our IT guy. You have 8 years of on the job experience which is worth more than whatever degree you might get. Make sure you highlight your 8 years of practical experience in your cover letter. Your resume should be right at 1 page. Bring copies to the interview. Paper is cheap.

Then again, I never went to college, and we have been known to disqualify candidates with too many/any certifications. Unless you have a CCIE or the equivalent for Juniper I just skim right past it. I am not a normal employer.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Quarantini posted:

My problem? I suck as college, I do great in all my tech classes but I don't have a math head and am struggling greatly both financially and academically to get my BA in information science. An option I have is to change my sights and shoot for an associates instead.
Once you finish the Associates, you could probably knock out a BS in IT at Western Governors University pretty quick and while picking up a basket of certs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Quarantini posted:

err, correct, I meant a BS. It's late.

Anyways, The maths I'm struggling with are discreet logic, stat, etc. The public school system I attended had the lowest math scores in the entire state, and I simply don't have a good background in math, and because of how math builds on itself I now realize that I'm simply never going to be good at it. I'm not a comp-sci guy so my lack of math skills don't really concern me in the real world, but it's loving up my life as of now.
Discrete logic has almost nothing to do with prior math classes you have taken, so no need to blame those. It's definitely more abstract than what most people are used to, though, but if it's just a few classes can't you just suffer through them and get a C? A BA/BS is way more useful than an associate's, and may matter at larger firms.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Quarantini posted:

A BA/BS vs. an associates degree is a huge difference, I'd stick with it if at all possible.

You can probably make up some of the difference by having certs and experience, but the simple fact of the matter is BS makes the world go 'round.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Gonna try this again now that I'm certified.

My experience: I've worked for an Unnamed Major State University (you can figure it from my location, but I'll never tell) for the past 6 years, as an Operator in their main data center. (The title is a holdover from the Long-Long-Ago when my department was responsible for the school's MVS Mainframe, which still exists as a partition on another mainframe to this day, and yes, we still access it regularly.)

I'm recently CCNA certified. I've got experience to varying degrees with Windows/RHEL (much stronger in Windows), NetApp filers (mostly just watching alerts and swapping disks, though I've helped wire up a few new installs), Dell/IBM/Sun servers, Dell workstations and laptops, Xerox DP90 printers, Control-D/M/O scheduling software (mostly break/fix, JCLs and queries get programmed and scheduled by a different department), Cisco switches/routers, and Blackboard online course content. I've run copper and pre-made fiber for new network installs, though I'm not trained to cut or terminate new fiber.

I'm used to the concerns of a Data Center with constant uptime; UPSs, heat, humidity, connectivity. I'm willing to work overnights and be part of on-call rotations, as long as they're clearly defined.

What I'm looking for: Network Administration / Engineering work with the possibility of taking on greater responsibilities as I learn. I'd be open to learning non-Cisco software; TCP/IP is still TCP/IP whether it's on a Juniper switch or a Cisco switch.

I'd also be willing to work in a Data Center or NOC somewhere else; again, my concern is opportunities for growth.

What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk or Call Center work. Companies who do not allow for training or advancing their employees.

Where I live: Tempe, AZ.

Where I'm looking: I'm open to relocating. I'd love something in or near Seattle, especially. I know better than to expect any sort of relocation assistance.

When I can start: Within two weeks of a written offer. (Plus reasonable moving time if away from AZ.)

Requirements: Health insurance/401k. Can you pay better than the State of Arizona? You've got me.

Can be reached via: Forum PMs, my username @ gmail.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
I'll give this a shot.

My experience: Mostly educational. BS in Computer Science. Focus on java programming and working on C# now. All my work experience has been in IT so I am A+ certified. This is mainly because my area doesn't really have any programming at all so I tried to break into the IT side of things but I found out that I prefer programming.

What I'm looking for: Developer position, preferably C#. Full time

What I'm NOT looking for: IT, Contracts

Where I live: Myrtle Beach, SC area

Where I'm looking: Pretty much anywhere in the US, preferably in SC or north of SC.

When I can start: I would say 3-4 weeks. 2 weeks for my employer and then time to get relocated.

Requirements: Health insurance/401k

Can be reached via: This thread, rabrown.mail [at] gmail.com

Divyesh
Aug 5, 2011
Who are we?
We are on the cutting edge of the medical waste disposal business. The company
offers services to health care providers to make the disposal of medical waste safer and more efficient. It also serves customers in the
pharmaceutical, agricultural, hospitality, industrial, and retail industries. Products include medical sharps (needles and other sharp objects)
disposal systems, disposable IV poles, waste and equipment return boxes, linen recovery systems, and biohazardous spill clean-up kits. We also provides regulatory compliant waste tracking, incineration, and disposal verification services, as well as consulting services

Where are we?
Houston, TX

What are we looking for?
We are looking for a Senior level developer. We currently have one developer but business has grown to where we need to bring in another developer and serve as the lead role.

Software development fundamentals (including object-oriented design, multi-layer design, debugging, etc.).
Microsoft SQL Server - Must be very strong with data. Please be familiar with scheduled jobs (We use Visual Cron for this.) We have to exchange data with our clients.
C# .NET (3+ years)
ASP.NET (3+ years)
XML
Strong organization skills - You will lead the other developers
PHP/MYSQL is a plus - We use magento for our site.

What are we not looking for?
People who need hand-holding. I need someone who I can give a project to and know its going to be completed.

Not Senior level

Someone who can't handle multiple projects at once.

How do I apply?
PM me here, or send me an email at: brobertsonit at gmail (Include resume and salary expectations)

Anything else?
I'm the Director of IT, so no need to interview or talk with our HR. You will have tons of freedom in this position and you will serve as the lead developer in all projects. You will have your own office, so no cubicles!

IT plays a very important role in our company and our executives support us. We would like to find someone who can come in and take us to the next level!

Position is permanent and full-time.
401(k) with company matching 25% up to 6%
3 weeks paid time off per year.
Paid company holidays
Medical/Dental/Vision insurance

workape
Jul 23, 2002

This may be jumping the gun, but hell I want someone with a sense of humor and the ability not to be a complete tool.

Who are we?

We are a multinational Coal mining company with mines in the US and Australia and other locations for offices around the world. Global Network Services, my group, has responsibilities for everything from our Data Centers down into the switches that are installed on haul trucks and draglines. Do you enjoy looking at this huge machines that they show on modern marvels? Are you not afraid to get dirty? Do you have a functioning liver that you wish to make non-functioning? Then I have a job for you!

Where are we?

Saint Louis, MO. But there is travel which can range between a day trip to 3 months in another country and everything in between.

What we are looking for?

We are looking for a Mid level Network Engineer, but if you are Junior and have a ton of drive let me know. I need people with significant troubleshooting skills able to work in mixed environments where people will provide you very little information.

We have everything from Nexus 7/5/2k's in the Data Center down to IE-3000's deployed on haul trucks. We've got an aging Procurve environment that we are in the middle of refreshing with Cisco switching. We're also in the middle of a major Telepresence deployment, and also about to replace our aging TDM phone system with a Cisco VoIP solution.

So to recap, you could be on the ground floor of a MAJOR network refresh and learn all sorts of new and interesting things.

If you have UC experience and video conferencing experience apply away!

What we are not looking for?

Whiny babies that need to have their bottoms wiped and their egos stroked. Frankly we don't have the time for it, if you can't work on more than one project at a time then don't apply either.

Anything else?

I'm the Network Architect here, if you make a good impression I've also got friends in HR who can fast track you into the interview phase if you are truly interested. Since I don't have hiring authority you'll still need to go through the hiring process.

Particulars
Permanent/Full Time
Paid Company Holidays
2 weeks vacation to start, additional weeks for time in service.
Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
Paid training, that's right folks we have a training budget that doesn't get cut!

Edit: You can reach me at -> workape (at) gmail (dot) com or just PM me here on the forums.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

workape posted:

Network engineer job

Shot you an email, this job sounds amazing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Me too, sounds like a kickass job.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Job Seeker

My experience: B.S. in Communication. Worked one year service repair CompUSA. A+ certified. Experience with medical billing. Live A/V system experience.

What I'm looking for: Help Desk, entry level repair

Where I live: Cleveland, Ohio.

Where I'm looking: Within Ohio

When I can start: 1-2 weeks

Requirements: Health insurance

Can be reached via: In the thread, ek309001 [at] ohio.edu

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
My experience:
Been at my current job for 5 years. Perform system administration (primarily VMware and Windows, some RHEL), and desktop management (SCCM, MDT, software packaging, etc). Spent $60k annual budget for desktop hardware. Used business analyst and desktop management tactics to transform a bloated, inefficient IT support department into a leaner, more efficient department including happier staff - both IT and the rest of the organization.

Prior to my current job I worked (in reverse chronological order) 1 year computer sales, 1 year desktop support and 3 years phone support for ISPs.

I have MCTS: AD Configuration certification, I've taken the VMware Install, Configure, Manage (just need to sit the test for the VCP), and ITIL v3 Foundation.

What I'm looking for: Sales engineer, implementation, system administration. I would also consider a contract position to come in and bring order to your chaotic IT support environment. I'm always keeping an eye out for how to improve systems and processes.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything more than 10% helpdesk. Programming. A primarily maintenance role. A primarily managerial role. 24/7 on call (rotation is fine).

Where I live: Boston, MA

Where I'm looking: San Francisco bay area, Boston. For an awesome job: Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Boulder. (dual citizen)

When I can start: In Boston: 2 weeks. In the bay area (or elsewhere): 3 weeks.

Requirements: Health insurance. Non-lovely commute. Somewhere with engaged, reasonable employees. I get excited about my work, it would be nice if coworkers got a little excited about theirs, too. That said, I'm not looking to join a cult, or work 60 hours a week.

Can be reached via: nheefum@gmail.com

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
What the heck, sending my info to workape too.

Also, please remove my office's job opening, it was filled by a non-goon.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
We're still anxiously seeking good candidates for our job opening in Ann Arbor, MI. The talent drain out of SE Michigan has been pretty astonishing; with the national unemployment rate what it is I feel like most hiring managers are swimming in CVs, and we're barely getting any.

Cheeseburger
Sep 19, 2004

Now with more ketchup!
I'm just going to drop this bit right here as its probably the best place for it.

Local news channel ran a story this morning about a certain company was hiring loads of new IT staff, to bring it all in-house as opposed to contracted, and as a result, have new postings on their careers site.

I checked it out myself, but its all way out of my league, I'm too green for most of it.

Anyways, it's at a little place called GE.

Disclaimer: My only connection to this company is that my aunt works for them out of Cincinnati, and I had one interview, which I totally choked, being overwhelmed with the talent on the conference call.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
See my latest post for an open position.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 28, 2012

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm in need of a Systems Administrator really really badly.

Who are we and what do we do: We do email marketing around the world. We have offices in London and Boulder Colorado. You're applying for the job in Colorado.

What we're looking for: We need a new Systems Administrator, badly. Preferably mid-level with networking experience. Our networks are mostly run with Sonicwalls and Juniper routers and Dell switches. We run CentOS on most of our servers with a small smattering of Windows 2008. We would love you to have scripting (perl and bash are the standards, but any scripting is better than none).

Location: Like I said, Boulder Colorado. We're right off the Pearl Street Mall so there's a lot to do in the area.

Benefits: Health, dental, vision. We have a 401k with some matching. Fridays we have company provided beer with occasional cigar time. Paid vacation and sick time. It's a small company (~40 people in the office) so we it's actually a pretty fun environment.

Opening: It's open now. We haven't gotten much luck on candidates and the current frontrunner has serious drama behind him. As such, I'm really wanting someone else to fill the job.

Contact: Feel free to drop me a PM. If you don't have pm, hit me up at rallyv@gmail. Include SH/SC in the subject (or don't, but if you want a job you will).

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
They are consolidating my office across the country, and my role is disappearing in the process. There are likely some transfer opportunities for me within the company, but I'm also taking this as an opportunity to see what is out there and find something I might find more enjoyable.

My Experience
5 years system administration experience in an R&D datacenter working with VMware, Windows Server, Linux (primarily Ubuntu, but also a mix of other flavors), SAN, Cisco switching and routing (CCNA), and network infrastructure systems (DNS, DHCP, Active Directory, Email, Monitoring, Patching, backup). Additionally 8 years prior to that in general IT (helpdesk, workstation design and deployment, software packaging)

What I'm Looking For
System administration position. Solo or team work is acceptable. I like working directly with project teams to build their systems and help figure out technical issues, as opposed to working in a datacenter and only interacting through a ticketing system.

What I'm Not Looking For
I want to be involved in design and creation of new systems, not just keeping existing systems running. So no helpdesk or strictly maintenance/upkeep. Would prefer no travel, but I think up to 20% travel is ok if the position is interesting. No contract positions, full time only.

Where I Live
Chicago, IL

Where I'm Looking
Chicago, IL. Something close to CTA or Metra would be ideal for convenience, but a commute is fine. Not looking to relocate outside of the Chicagoland area.

When I can start
After September 1st, and with at least 2 weeks notice to my current employer.

Requirements
Health benefits. I'd prefer a calm and laid back environment to high-pressure. Interesting work with a variety of systems and chances to learn and explore new skills is ideal.

Can be reached via
PM, yzgi@yzgi.com

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

RevKrule posted:

I'm in need of a Systems Administrator really really badly.

Who are we and what do we do: We do email marketing around the world. We have offices in London and Boulder Colorado. You're applying for the job in Colorado.

What we're looking for: We need a new Systems Administrator, badly. Preferably mid-level with networking experience. Our networks are mostly run with Sonicwalls and Juniper routers and Dell switches. We run CentOS on most of our servers with a small smattering of Windows 2008. We would love you to have scripting (perl and bash are the standards, but any scripting is better than none).

Location: Like I said, Boulder Colorado. We're right off the Pearl Street Mall so there's a lot to do in the area.

Benefits: Health, dental, vision. We have a 401k with some matching. Fridays we have company provided beer with occasional cigar time. Paid vacation and sick time. It's a small company (~40 people in the office) so we it's actually a pretty fun environment.

Opening: It's open now. We haven't gotten much luck on candidates and the current frontrunner has serious drama behind him. As such, I'm really wanting someone else to fill the job.

Contact: Feel free to drop me a PM. If you don't have pm, hit me up at rallyv@gmail. Include SH/SC in the subject (or don't, but if you want a job you will).

If you can get me in the door by the 22nd I'll take this loving job so quick. I start a help desk job with Harris in Denver but gently caress taking 3 steps back if I don't have to. Shot you a resume.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

We need some people:

Who are we and what do we do: Managed Service Provider servicing mid-size business in Connecticut.

What we're looking for: We need both a Level II technician/Technical Account Manager and a Level III Sr. Engineer. We are mainly a Microsoft/Sonicwall/HP/VMware shop. We use Kaseya and Autotask as RMM/PSA respectively.

Benefits: Health, Training, 15 days PTO, competitive bonus structure.

Opening: Immediate.

Contact: PM or email studebakerhawk at gmail.com. Include SHSC or MSP Opening in the title.

ancient lobster
Mar 5, 2008
Hope it's cool to post internships. If there's a better place for this let me know.

Who are we and what do we do: Work Market (https://www.workmarket.com), tech startup funded by Spark Capital and Union Square Ventures (vc behind Foursquare, Twitter, Tumblr, StackExchange, etc.). Building a distributed labor management platform, growing rapidly.

What we're looking for: A smart, business-savvy intern for the fall. This would be a pretty involved position with a lot of room for customization based on your interests. Just about any part of the business would be open to you to learn about and get involved with in a meaningful way. There may be some flexibility with hours, but we're basically looking for full-time availability. Given all this, the right person would probably be a recent grad, maybe a senior or grad student with a light course load.

Approximate opening date: Early September.

Benefits: Well...lunch at least once a week. Dinner any night you stay late. The internship is unpaid. Although it is unpaid, this could be a valuable experience for an ambitious, entrepreneurial person interested in moving into the startup space. You would be working directly with senior team members and executives, solving real problems. If you end up working out, these people would be happy to provide advice and leverage their connections to help get you to where you're trying to go.

How to apply: Right here - http://www.workmarket.com/jobs/view?id=28
No HR dept, so you'll get a fair shake.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Reposting to say my company is still hiring in a bunch of locations, positions can be found here: http://www.mindshift.com/Pages/Careers.aspx

I've been happy here for the past 3 years so I would recommend the place, I work out of Commack, NY if you have any questions about those positions. If you do apply let me know so I can give you my name for the hiring bonus :D

Libal
May 22, 2009
Who we are: A national Market Research firm specializing in online research for a wide range of industries.

Location: Roseland, NJ. (Once in a while you will need to come to the NYC office)

What we’re looking for: A Desktop Support Administrator who understands that their role is to provide good customer service and not just to “fix” things.

Someone who’s gung-ho about making a positive impact on the company, the employees and their team.

You should know Windows 7 like the back of your hand. Being a wiz with Windows 2003 & 2008 Server won’t hurt either.

What we’re NOT looking for: Someone who hates talking to people, needs to be micromanaged, doesn’t consider IT their hobby, and doesn't know how to Google an answer when they're stumped.

Why you’d want to work here: From the office space down to the people, it’s a great environment to work in. This year in IT has been very exciting as we’ve been modernizing everything. If you’re interested in learning and growing as a tech, there’s plenty of opportunity here.

There’s a lot of freedom to pursue your own projects. You won’t just be fixing things all day. You will have plenty of opportunities to make meaningful contributions.

Position: temp to perm (if you’re a rock star, it will be perm quickly)

Benefits: If permanently hired, you get all the good stuff (health, vision, dental) , 4 weeks PTO and more.

How do I apply? PM me or e-mail me at libal617 (at) gmail (dot) com and include SAIT in the subject line.

Anything else? While the position is physically based in NJ, majority of your work will be done remotely for our other offices and in our data center located in Palo Alto, CA.

I don’t care if you have a college degree or have a bunch of letters after your name. Your skills are all that matters.

If you're only a few years into your IT career, know your stuff and want to grow to the next level, this position is for you.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
My company is hiring for lots of different positions, technical and non-technical!

We are hiring for:

- Data Engineers
- DBA / Data Pipeline Engineer
- QA/Releng Engineer
- Tools Developers
- Front End Developers
- Senior Front End Developers
- Backend Engineers
- Senior Backend Engineers

Note: We also have several non-technical positions open. You can see them here, but I'm not going to list them because they probably won't get seen in SH/SC.

It's a great company to work for. We have a lot of benefits, pay is competitive, and the atmosphere is very fun. We're based out of Westborough, MA, about 30-40 minutes away from Boston, MA. We are open to interviewing people from all over the country and the world, and may be able to assist with relocation on a case-by-case basis. It's retained a lot of the feel of a start-up even as a mid-size company. Let me know on IM, or by PM, or by email (csigilonwork@gmail.com) if you are interested in any of these positions, or have questions for me. I'm the hiring manager for some of them, and can put in a good word for the others.

GoonyMcGoonface fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 17, 2011

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

CaladSigilon posted:

My company is hiring for lots of different positions, technical and non-technical!

We are hiring for:

- Data Engineers
- DBA / Data Pipeline Engineer
- QA/Releng Engineer
- Tools Developers
- Front End Developers
- Senior Front End Developers
- Backend Engineers
- Senior Backend Engineers

Note: We also have several non-technical positions open. You can see them here, but I'm not going to list them because they probably won't get seen in SH/SC.

It's a great company to work for. We have a lot of benefits, pay is competitive, and the atmosphere is very fun. We're based out of Westborough, MA, about 30-40 minutes away from Boston, MA. We are open to interviewing people from all over the country and the world, and may be able to assist with relocation on a case-by-case basis. It's retained a lot of the feel of a start-up even as a mid-size company. Let me know on IM, or by PM, or by email if you are interested in any of these positions, or have questions for me. I'm the hiring manager for some of them, and can put in a good word for the others.

I would be interested in one of the software engineering jobs. What is your email?

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
You can pop me an email at csigilonwork@gmail.com.

Also, I've edited that into the post. Sorry!

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

chrisf posted:

Job Opening(s)
Where: Golden Valley, MN (Twin Cities Metro area)
About us: We are a dialup/DSL ISP and Telephone provider (CLEC) with a majority of our business done with Minnesota end users. We have been in business since the late 90s, and our customer base has varied between growing and stable despite the economic downturn.
What: Part time customer service/tech support call center. Primary availability desired is 4pm-8pm mon-fri and 10a-6p sat (additional hours may be available during the 7a-4p shifts based on staff levels). Most of our part time employees work 2-4 4 hour shifts during the week and half (10a-2p) or all of a saturday shift. Average call topics include DSL, dialup, and telephone service troubleshooting, billing/account questions, and new service orders/very light inbound sales.
Summer is a lower call volume time period for us due to our primary customer demographic not being hardcore computing enthusiasts. However, as the weather cools and call volumes pick up, any full time positions needed are offered first to part time employees who have proven that they can handle additional responsibilities.

(some) Benefits of working here: Laid back callcenter environment. Flexibility regarding time off requests made in advance. Opportunity for advancement.

Interested? Have questions? PM me, or email me at my forum name with an r between the s and f @gmail.com and I'll answer to the best of my ability and/or give you my boss's direct email to send a resume to.
Quoting myself from last year as my boss is actively looking for resumes again.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I may have posted in here before, but now I'm in a new place (Durham, NC) so I'm going to try again.

My Experience
I've been doing various sorts of computer janitor jobs since 1999. I grew up with these things and I pretty much know tons of hardware and software stuff. Most recently I was a tech at a mom and pop computer store in Louisiana, but some family stuff came up and I've had to move out of state. I really enjoyed it and my boss there will give me a glowing reference. Frankly, I'm drat good at troubleshooting.

What I'm Looking For
Pretty much anything. I'll do phone support, helpdesk, whatever. I haven't gotten my certs yet because I'm broke as hell, so just something to keep me busy and give me money to get some real qualifications would be nice.

What I'm Not Looking For
I dunno, being beaten with clubs? Attacked by angry hornets? Really, I'll do whatever terrible boring thing, at least for a while.

Where I Live
Durham, NC

Where I'm Looking
Anywhere in the Triangle is fine. I'd be willing to relocate but nobody pays relocations for the sort of job I'm after.

When I can start
Yesterday.

Requirements
Paychecks. Health care of any sort would be nice.

Can be reached via
PM, jbelton@gmail.com

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
See my latest post for an open position.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 28, 2012

Wuhao
Apr 22, 2002

Pimpin' Lenin
Who we are: We're a casino gaming company. We have a brand new platform that we think will open gambling up to people besides little old ladies. We're a few years into this company now, roughly 20 people large, and growing.

What we're looking for: Software engineers with a strong iOS background. I won't list education requirements, but there are some basic personality requirements you'll need to thrive here:
- Passionate. You have to live and breathe this stuff. We take an enormous amount of pride in our work, and we want our new co-workers to do the same.

- Eager to learn. We don't do job titles, and we don't stick to rigid job descriptions. You've got to be willing to jump in and do work that you've never really trained to do before. By this, I don't mean "help the CEO wash his car." I mean, you've got to be willing to pick up new languages and branch out to new skill-sets on the fly. If we decide we need to be an Android shop next year, we need people who can roll with that. If the server guys or the website guys are short-handed and need someone to pitch in on their side, we need people who aren't afraid to step up -- even if they've never seen the language before.

- Self-motivated. We're big believers in working in your own home, on your own hours whenever possible, and coming into the office when it's time to plan or integrate. If you need someone breathing over your shoulder and reviewing your TPS reports every day to keep you moving, this isn't going to work.

- Multitasker. We have a lot of projects going on, so you need to be able to split your time between a few different tasks.

- Attention to detail. This industry is so deeply, absurdly regulated, I can't begin to explain to you how important it is that everything be double-triple-checked.

- Good sense of humor. We've got a really great crew. Our artists and engineers are happy to chill out with our sales and marketing folks, and we genuinely enjoy our day. If you're antisocial and just want to be left alone, you probably won't be a good fit here.

Here's what I need in an engineer beyond vanilla Objective-C experience:
- Strong skills in network programming.
- Good instincts for software architecture.
- Solid understanding of how operating systems and software really work under the hood.
- Basic understanding of cryptography.
- Ability to coordinate with other developers to design good interfaces.

What you'll be doing: You're going to be expanding an iOS-based gaming platform. We have a single app that lets patrons play from an ever-expanding library of games. So, we have a lot of work implementing new games, and a lot of work organizing shared information and interface elements between those games. All of our games involve gambling with real money. We also have a new QA initiative that will involve developing interfaces for automated testing of the gaming platform. In addition to that, we have some back-of-house support apps to develop.

Approximate opening date: Now.

Benefits: Health insurance, with monthly HSA contribution. Flexible hours, and you can work from home pretty much whenever it is practical to do so. Relocation assistance.

Anything else? Working here rocks, frankly. There's no bureaucracy, people get treated with tons of respect, and the work is really fun and meaningful. People are allowed to grow and get work that fall outside their usual field of expertise. No one takes themselves too seriously. I'd be the primary decision-maker on whether you get this position, and I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the forums population, so responding to this listing is pretty much the fast-track.

Can be reached via
sajoblisting at logostopia.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
The company I work for, SpeedFC, is looking for some excellent PHP developers to build our ever growing team. We're currently a team of 11 developers with 4 team leads and 7 developers (I'm a team lead but do plenty of development too).

Who we are
SpeedFC - We do end to end e-commerce. We handle the websites of our clients (you may touch on this, but not often), the backend warehouse software (what you'll be working on), customer service, and fulfillment. We own 100% of our code, it's all written in house so you'll definitely have a chance to work on new products with fresh code. Now, you will also have to work on old projects with old code. Comes with the territory.

Our stack is full Linux, Apache, Postgres, and PHP. Even if you're not familiar with Postgres, but have a good PHP and SQL database background, still apply.

Why you would want to work here
We work with a tremendous amount of data and ensuring it's correct at all times is a difficult job. So, if you're in for a challenge, working here is great. Now, there are some downsides. We have an old codebase, largely untested and undocumented. You'll have to work on some stuff that will want to make you tear your hair out.

That is now changing! All code developed on my team is unit tested, documented through tests, and fresh PHP5.3+. We do code reviews, demo days, and have an official QA department. Also, right now my team is about to start working on a difficult and far reaching data synchronization problem. Thus, if you want to be a member on a project building code from scratch and "doing it the right way", now would be a great time to join my team.

Another nice aspect of the job: if you think something needs to be done, write up a short document explaining why and the benefits it will have, submit it to the bosses and get it approved. The executives are more than willing to let you work on fresh projects that will help the company.

Mix the good with the bad, and overall it's a good place to work. They just built us our own custom private office for developers only so other employees can't come bug you easily.

Dallas, TX -- but we'll accept applications from out-of-towners. I can't say anything about relocation assistance mainly because I don't know much about it. If I get your resume, I'll pass it on to our internal recruiter and she can talk more about it.

Availability
Now

Benefits
Health, Dental, and Vision. You don't start off with an incredible amount of PTO, and Christmas time is pretty nuts around here, but they say they're working on it, so we'll see what happens.

Notes
I will be your team lead. I won't be your boss. I won't know your salary, for example. I like working closely with my team members and bouncing ideas off them. I'm more than open to using different technologies where they fit and moving away from PHP where necessary.

Application Instructions
Send me a PM here or vcherubini@speedfc.com with your resume attached. I'll be doing the interviews, and I keep them very much functional and not theoretical. You won't have to bust out your college text books to remember what a red/black tree is, I want to know your past and current projects, and have a good discussion about you as a software developer, not an algorithm memorizer.