Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

CornHolio posted:

Isn't Cercei supposed to die with a younger, more beautiful queens hands at her throat? Who do we think that is going to be? Dany? Margaery? Mysterious third option?

Ser Loras.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

whowhatwhere posted:

Sansa stuff

This is a valid counterpoint. If GRRM writes it well, and convinces me that Sansa has the mental faculties to become a competent Player, this could be pretty great.

Just echoing what others have said so far, Dany's chapters were by far the worst in this book. It's like GRRM totally undid all the Dany development of the last 4 novels and made her into a shallow teeny bopper thirsting for strange dick. Several characters straight-up say that if Quentyn had been more handsome, she would have united her cause to Dorne and marched on Westeros. I pretty much lost all respect I had for her character when she told Barristan "but I'm just a girl" and meant it.

Dikkfor posted:

Ser Loras.

:v:

Ok, I lol'd - mainly because I heard "Princes of the Universe" playing in the background as this scene unfolded in my mind.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I was genuinely sad for Pretty and the dog. They never hurt anybody and were Penny's friends :(

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

YES bread posted:

Disease and poison are kiiiind of different things.

Not when you are a dragon!! Dragons got fire kidneys and lava livers!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

I pretty much lost all respect I had for her character when she told Barristan "but I'm just a girl" and meant it.

Hasn't she been saying that for a while though by that point always meaning it as a disarming rhetorical technique? Or like as a sarcastic remark?

Kind of like when she says "I'm just a girl and I don't know poo poo about warfare but here's this plan that will win us this battle" and it totally does?

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
His newest post says that he'll be reading an excerpt from THE WINDS OF WINTER at Worldcon.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/233477.html

gently caress yes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is going to be a chapter that was written for the latest book but got moved back to the next one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

withak posted:

It is going to be a chapter that was written for the latest book but got moved back to the next one.

Geez dude, can you be more of a downer? At least something is written for the next book. I'm guessing it will be 2 years for the next one.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

geeves posted:

Nope, you got it right.

When they take her legs, she's going to warg into the Kindly Man and have him carry her around.

The ability to warg into people, if she developes it, will make her the best assasin ever. She could possess targets body guards to perform the hits.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Unzip and Attack posted:

Geez dude, can you be more of a downer? At least something is written for the next book. I'm guessing it will be 2 years for the next one.

Yeah, but he had half a book going into Dance, so that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be quick. It's all about how the writing goes and if he has something that stalls him as much as Meereen.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

Lenin Stimpy posted:

His newest post says that he'll be reading an excerpt from THE WINDS OF WINTER at Worldcon.

gently caress yes

He's lying.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Argali posted:

He's lying.

This.

Except when is WorldCon?

Edit: Nevermind, I forgot to read.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Lenin Stimpy posted:

gently caress yes

Well what he says is, "1:00 pm A reading, from THE WINDS OF WINTER (AO1+6, RSCC)," which could just as easily mean that he's going to sit down and read one of the appendices.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 11, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Habibi posted:

Well what he says is, "1:00 pm A reading, from THE WINDS OF WINTER (AO1+6, RSCC)," which could just as easily mean that he's going to sit down and read one of the appendixes.

I can just imagine the transcript of the event!

GRRM enters.

GRRM sits down on a couple of lined of chairs.

GRRM rubs the crumbs out of his beard.

GRRM takes out a 300 pages from his briefcase binded loosely.

GRRM starts talking about the NFL for thirty minutes.

After a while, GRRM eventually finds his way back to the book and clears his throat.

*ahem*. "Sansa took a bite of the lemoncake".

GRRM struggles to get up, and waddles over to the table to do autographs.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Actually the best would be if he read a super-explicit sex scene in a totally deadpan voice.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

Argali posted:

Actually the best would be if he read a super-explicit sex scene in a totally deadpan voice.

Or in the most childish giggly schoolboy voice.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ImJasonH posted:

Or in the most childish giggly schoolboy voice.

I agree, this might be better. If he did it in a deadpan voice, he'd sound like...an actual author. :aaa:

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Unzip and Attack posted:

I pretty much lost all respect I had for her character when she told Barristan "but I'm just a girl" and meant it.

Yeah you misinterpreted because she doesn't once mean it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Argali posted:

Good afternoon.

'Jeyne tried to spread as much as is possible on one's knees, in the hope that it's spear tipped doghood would stop hurting so much. Ramsay sipped his Dornish red and grinned. She felt strangely warmed that this show was pleasing him.'

I am happy to answer any questions.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Supreme Allah posted:

spear tipped doghood

:stare:

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
One aspect of the whole Aerys and Mrs. Lannister thing not mentioned is how it ties in (if at all) with Aerys turning down Tywin's offer of a Cersei + Rhaegar marriage.

Did jealousy play a part to spite Tywin? Or if, say, the theory about Jaime/Cersei being fathered by Aerys are true, did that effect his decision for the Cersei + Rhaegar marriage either way?

If they are Aerys' kids, then wouldn't a Rhaegar + Cersei fall in line with the whole incest thing? Or the inverse?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Maytag posted:

Yeah you misinterpreted because she doesn't once mean it.

That phrase has always irritated the gently caress out of me. You can tell Dany is smug as poo poo as she says it, which was irritating enough when she was making the right decisions, but it's just hilarious given how stupidly she acts in Dance.

Also:

Supreme Allah posted:

Good afternoon.

'it's spear tipped doghood'

I am happy to answer any questions.

:golfclap:

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"

Maytag posted:

I thought the whole "Gonna go fight Ramsay" was incredibly stupid and completely against the build up we've had from the Stand By Your Vows Starks. I was actually glad to see him get stabbed over and over. He should've kept being badass and kept beating the men of the Wall into submission.

I think this is important. I liked what he was doing there--revenge is fun--but it did not ring true at all. That did not feel like Jon Snow. If he didn't break his vows to join Robb and avenge Ned, is he really going to bail on the Night's Watch when he is Lord Commander in the middle of the greatest threat the Watch has faced in millenia? I don't think so. I think there's something more to the last Jon chapter.

Melisandre says to look to the sky and then come to him, and he clearly believes this prophecy. Then he "plans" for two hours. And why does Wun Wun fight with the knight? Maybe he warged into one of the imprisoned wights in order to flush out the daggers in the dark, once he knew that Melisandre's prophecies had some truth to them? That sounds far-fetched, but there's something more to that chapter.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Regardless of motivation, did Jon really even have a choice in the matter? The Watch remains neutral and all that, but this is RAMSAY BOLTON. That psycho would probably attack the Wall given half a reason, imagined or not. And he does, in the form of Jeyne Poole. So the only way for the Watch to survive, literally and politically, would be to kill Ramsay and come to an accord with the Northern lords, which would probably happen, given the Boltons great PR skills.

What's doubly ironic is that with Kevan dead and Connington in the south, the only possible reprisal the Watch could face is from the Boltons. I imagine come the spring if everyone isn't a wightsicle, no one in power would really care if the Freys and Boltons died with the help of a "neutral" organization.

Plus, even if they did send someone up there, unless it was Lord Blindy McStupid, it shouldn't take much convincing for them to go "Yup, we're under attack by ice zombies."

In conclusion, Bowen Marsh is a really loving stupid character.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
Jon was glamored into some wildling scumbag, and vice versa. It was part of Jon's blood price with Tormund Giantsbane, to root out whoever in the Watch was going to kill him.

Now that they've exposed themselves he'll take them out and mysteriously reappear safe and sound.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
That would be a lot smoother than some hijinks with warging or Melisandre or anything involving some hackneyed literaly resurrection from the dead. On the other hand, I saw a hackneyed resurrection taking place since the series is full fantasy mode now.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I'm not going to totally discount it, but I really hope he doesn't take it in the warging direction. He'll have to generate so many contrived situations to make that work it'll be painful to read.

The resurrection, whole no less hokey, frees him of that pesky "Until my death" clause of the oath, so he can go do whatever after that. Plus it gives Martin the opportunity to turn him into an rear end in a top hat ala UnCat.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
Yeah the biggest problem with it was the whole chapter was from "Jon's" POV and wasn't just Oh man why did I agree to this crazy poo poo I'm totally about to get stabbed aren't I? Yep, there it goes.

But it's fun to throw out crazy off-the-wall ideas. Gotta do something to pass the time around here.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I'm not going to totally discount it, but I really hope he doesn't take it in the warging direction. He'll have to generate so many contrived situations to make that work it'll be painful to read.

The resurrection, whole no less hokey, frees him of that pesky "Until my death" clause of the oath, so he can go do whatever after that. Plus it gives Martin the opportunity to turn him into an rear end in a top hat ala UnCat.

I have no doubt that if he does come back he'll be coming back wrong, or there will be a bizarre scene where he has to kill his own reanimated corpse.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

If it's crazy fan theories we're after, I've got one.

Martin uses Chekov's gun with a lot of his characters/places. Mention a name twice, it's important somehow. Apparently I was the only one in the world who thought "...the Golden Company has broken their contract with Myr." was just a way to flesh out the world.

Going in the other direction, greyscale got a lot of face time in this book, regardless of Connington's impending death. I think Connington is gonna be an apocalyptic carrier, spreading a grayscale plague across Westeros, or possibly more localized to the Stormlands and Dorne, loving up Aegon's invasion plans.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I thought greyscale wasn't contagious? Otherwise, why would Shireen be allowed at the Wall?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

VaultAggie posted:

I thought greyscale wasn't contagious? Otherwise, why would Shireen be allowed at the Wall?
The wildlings say it is, though. That's important because the wildlings have more knowledge of the "natural" world.

I now buy 100% into the plague theory, despite only just hearing it.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!

VaultAggie posted:

Tyrion thought he had it after wrestling with that one guy, and I recall Connington thinking why oh why did I have to pull that dwarf from the river? which to me indicates that you can get it from contact with an infected person or infected water.

It's possible Shireen just had a mild case, or isn't contagious somehow, or is faking it for attention. I mean, women, am i rite?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I was under the impression that it was similar chicken pox. Not as dangerous in children, but fatally dangerous in adults. I assumed that the disease had run its course in Shireen and she was just left with "pock marks." The Maesters say she is alright.

Of course, maybe the Wildlings have more knowledge of it. Perhaps the greyscale is just dormant in Shireen and she's a walking time-bomb of a disease vector.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
So who does everyone think is in the running for "main (human) bad guy" in all this? Who is going to emerge as the biggest threat to Westeros/the world from the lands of men? Who of the many characters who need to die in these books needs to die the most?

We've got the schemers like Littlefinger and Varys, along with Illyrio maybe (I was actually happy to see him in Dance). We've got the vicious fuckery of Ramsay Bolton and his dad. rear end in a top hat Freys everywhere. The red priests gonna do some things probably. It's possible that Dany might just go crazy later on and burn the entire loving world with three goddamn dragons.

Personally, my money's on Euron or maybe Victarion right now. A horn that binds dragons to your command is bad business. There was also that whole passage about how the red priest on the ship kept looking into the flames and seeing a giant one eyed Kraken at the end of everything.

Oh and I don't trust Patchface. gently caress that guy.

Not that I want to boil down all of the politicking and awesome character moments in these books to RPG boss battles actually I take it back I do want to do exactly that.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Maybe the Drowned God is real, and is going to rise up with a bunch of drowned zombies and the Others and everybody else will have to team up to fight them off. It'a s song of ice and fire after all.

Also all the horrible chapters about boring vikings would suddenly have a purpose.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The Maesters killed the dragons, so I suspect they'll be revealed as the True Bad Guys in the end.

Imagine a scene like Jon's betrayal only a hundred Maesters killing a hundred Lords. That would be loving awesome!

Of course GRRM would have to really build up the Maesters as a credible threat first, but that's okay he has two more books to do this! :gonk:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

ASoIaF has always brutally deconstructed the typical fantasy story. If we go with history, Valyria, Aegon's conquest, event Dany's dragons, dragons are loving terrifying. We only have 2-3 brief sentences from Marwyn on the matter, but if true, I'm with the Maesters. gently caress magic. If that makes me a villain in this story, I'll twirl my mustache and cackle manically.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ever since the reveal of the dragon-binding horn in AFfC, I've had this suspicion that Euron was going to wind up as THE major threat. I mean, there seems to be this theme of the world (Westeros) underestimating the Ironborn. It's like, ever since the first Greyjoy rebellion was quashed no one takes them serious anymore, and yet they keep fuckin' poo poo up.

Most factions are too preoccupied with who rules the Iron Throne, and all the related intrigue that goes with it. The big threat to the throne is probably going to be whoever brings over the dragons. I know the general expectation is that Victarion is going to gently caress up with the horn and Dany will bind the dragons, or whatever, but I feel it'd be more inline with GRRM to NOT play into our expectations and have the Ironborn succeed in getting a dragon or two.

As much as medieval politicking is cool, I think it'd be totally rad/hilarious for Euron or Victarion to come riding in on loving dragons and blow poo poo up. Maybe in the middle of a big stupid feast, or a small council meeting too. It'd be akin to some rear end in a top hat running into a room and knocking over a house of cards that someone had spent hours trying to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluebrick62
Nov 4, 2005
"What happened?" she gasped. "Nothing. Why?" "Oh, yes it did," she giggled. "I wet myself." "They always do," I said. - Raymond Chandler, "The Big Sleep"

ImJasonH posted:

Yeah the biggest problem with it was the whole chapter was from "Jon's" POV and wasn't just Oh man why did I agree to this crazy poo poo I'm totally about to get stabbed aren't I? Yep, there it goes.

But it's fun to throw out crazy off-the-wall ideas. Gotta do something to pass the time around here.

Yeah, that's why I was thinking it had to be warging. I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that Jon decided to bail on the Night's Watch like that. And what would he have to plan for two hours? He doesn't know whether anyone will actually volunteer to tag along.