Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

The Apathy Party posted:

You will not regret it. My Ultra is the best piece of gear I have ever owned. The only way I would ever part with it would be if I bought an AXE II...

The guy I bought my Axe-Fx from collected everything he could find regarding it, so it came with hundreds of user patches, forums tips, sounds, videos, and around 2500 IRs, from the complete RedWirez and Ownhammer collections to probably 85% of all the free/user released impulses since 2009. He also tossed in a MidiSport 2x2 and cables, which is great since my RME FireFace 800 will apparently brick the Axe if I try to use it's MIDI.

I know the Axe-Fx is controversial thanks to the claims it's supporters make, but now that I own one I agree wholly. It really can feel like a tube amp if you so desire, made even more possible by routing both direct with cab sims and to a power amp and speaker cabinet without. It's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Like I need any more projects:

1971ish Jazz Bass. "ish" because while the serial and all features point to that date, the date stamp on the neck is all but worn off so who knows. But, the trade off is I got a good deal on it.

Body was originally Olympic White, but was stripped and somewhat refinished. Surprisingly it is a one piece body and pretty light. I think I'll keep it as-is, besides the one ding on top it just has some finish checking which doesn't really bother me. Maybe one day it'll go back to being white.

The only disappointing thing is that the tort pickguard is a little warped above the pickup area. I may try it out with it though, could be a convenient place to hold a pick. Otherwise I'll be looking for an appropriate black pickguard and maybe a set of covers.

I've briefly tried setting it up, but its going to need work this weekend. I didn't wire something right for sure, and the neck will need to settle down and hopefully I can get the strings at a decent height.

Besides the setup and new pickguard, the only other thing I see that it needs is a new spring on the bridge for the D string, the saddle is to far up where it intonates correctly so it rattles now.

MusicJustus
Apr 11, 2011

by angerbot
one of these handy RODS OF MOTIVATION keeps me hungry for more music. Will hit the open market FALL 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

mofolotopo posted:

Since I've been doing more stuff with orchestral instruments lately, I got myself one of these for my birthday:

It'll be a bit of a challenge to learn to play it, but I made huge progress just on the first day. Switching octaves is weird and difficult, but there's a logic to the EWI fingering system that makes it fairly easy to pick up.

The included sounds are mostly not great, but this + Miroslav Philharmonik sounds freakin' fantastic.

Are you auditioning to join the Cantina band?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

New Found Power posted:

Are you auditioning to join the Cantina band?

I did but they said I was too weird lookin'

:smith:

Fo reals, though, if you do anything with strings or horns it's such a great investment.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Epi Lepi posted:

4th of July Weekend I bought this beauty:

A Takamine G Series EG463SC Acoustic/Electric guitar. I am really loving this instrument!

I'm sitting here in anguish deciding if I wanna go back to Guitar Center and pick up the Takamine ETN10c I played with for an hour yesterday. Such a great guitar...

boobstastegreat
Aug 9, 2004
yum

DrChu posted:

Like I need any more projects:

Did you sand that down or did it come like that?

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!

mofolotopo posted:

Since I've been doing more stuff with orchestral instruments lately, I got myself one of these for my birthday:

It'll be a bit of a challenge to learn to play it, but I made huge progress just on the first day. Switching octaves is weird and difficult, but there's a logic to the EWI fingering system that makes it fairly easy to pick up.

The included sounds are mostly not great, but this + Miroslav Philharmonik sounds freakin' fantastic.

Pardon my ignorance, But what is this thing?

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

HundredxNails posted:

Pardon my ignorance, But what is this thing?

It's a MIDI controller that you play like a wind instrument. It allows you to get much more natural string and wind instrument sounds, and also allows some interesting effects with synths and whatnot. Here's some dude illustrating how it can be used to make lovely artificial-sounding jazz fusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2YhldxZIJs

But you can use it for a lot more than that.

In the video they make a big deal out of the included soft synth, but actually most of the sounds suck. It really shines when you use it with a better synth/sampler, which is what I'm mainly doing with it. I really only use the included software on my laptop, as the load is light enough that I can play without a lot of latency.

It's very weird to play at first, but I think overall it's actually easier to learn than traditional wind instruments. You don't really need any specific embouchure or much lung capacity to make it sound good, which helps. The EWI fingering also has an internal logic to it that is missing in clarinet, which is the only other wind instrument I play. There's a basic C scale that's very easy to learn, and then there are keys that just augment or diminish whatever note you're playing (i.e., you play an F and a "half step up" key and you get an F#). You can also set it up to use fingerings from some traditional wind instruments, but the EWI fingering is easier for me.

The real sticking point with the EWI as far as proficiency goes is the octave rollers - it's really hard to jump between octaves naturally, and sometimes hard NOT to jump between octaves on accident. I knew all of that going in, though, as the primary thing that user reviews said was that switching octaves was the hardest bit to learn.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 25, 2011

DrChu
May 14, 2002

boobstastegreat posted:

Did you sand that down or did it come like that?

Came like that, some previous owner did it a long time ago. Aside from a little dark area in the back I'm surprised they didn't use it for a natural finish in the first place, the grain is very nice.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Yamaha Guitalele :3: Much noodling was done.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Autoharp. It's badass. I'm trying to figure out music to play on it. Any ideas on what kind of folksy things I ought to learn for it? Or other things to cover ridiculously?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Welp, how about some Stephen Foster?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Autoharp. It's badass. I'm trying to figure out music to play on it. Any ideas on what kind of folksy things I ought to learn for it? Or other things to cover ridiculously?

Slayer

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

Thumposaurus is right. Drop-tune that fucker.

(Also goddammit, that thinline Tele is exactly the guitar I wanted for ages and ages until I realized there was no way in gently caress I was affording it and got a Squier Tele.)

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Would it hurt you to know that Squire makes thinline Telecasters with their Classic Vibe line now?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
As does Xaviere. Three kinds.
Classic
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-620-Series-Semi-Hollow-Cutaway_c_156.html
and this kind of Telecaster Thinline Deluxe thing.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-610-Semi-Hollow-Dream-180s-Pearl-Pickguard_c_209.html
Also, a P90 version.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-600-Series-Semi-Hollow-Cutaway_c_184.html

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doomy posted:

Would it hurt you to know that Squire makes thinline Telecasters with their Classic Vibe line now?

Yes and no. It hurts because those Xavieres look slick as hell and because I still do like the feel of the thinline, so the Squier would still be a cool thing, but I really have come to like my Tele, especially since it's such a weirdass model. (Stock Bigsby? non-maple fretboard? What?)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The point of the Xavieres is that they're cheap enough you can go 'what the hell' and get one also.

Nice darn tele, by the way. I can't stand maple fretboards, myself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

The point of the Xavieres is that they're cheap enough you can go 'what the hell' and get one also.

Yeah, I see that. drat. I know you can't expect much for $150, but how do they play? When I'm finally employed again, something like that might be my gift to myself.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

This one's my current baby. I've posted it before, I know. Humbucker at the neck, quarter inch magnets in the bridge pickup, lightly overwound. I've got a compensated bridge and a bone nut in it now. Oh, and I changed the tuners to locking ones while I was doing that, because why not. The neck is fantastic. Generally, when you get it, you have to do a little fret polishing, and the action is a little high. But you can do that. It sounds good. Real good man. It plays good. If you open it up and peer inside, the body cavity is pretty rough. But the hardware is fairly good quality, the pickups are good enough that people will actually replace Fender pickups with them.

I can say that people think mine cost two grand. And then they play it. And then they still think it cost two grand.

Sometimes you get a bad one, sometimes you get lucky. But with a price like that, the best part of an Xaviere is that you never feel uncomfortable about messing around with it. Take it apart. What's the worst that could happen?

Besides, it's a Telecaster. Leo designed them to be made cheaply. With today's manufacturing, why should they cost eight hundred?

Notes: These people who think it cost two grand think it's a custom design. They are wrong. I don't know how, but all of a sudden, Telemasters are popping up everywhere. I've found like six places making them now. I think Malden Guitars invented it, I can't find an earlier model.
Mr. Malden does not make thinlines or I'd direct you there. The liquidation is still going on... it's wrapping up. There's a Stiger for sale cheap, too, one of the very first guitars they made. #59. And they found another Karma. Only one left.
http://www.maldenguitars.com/store.htm (The Stiger is under Miscellaneous)
Looking at your room pic, looks like you went more or less the same way I did. SG for you, Subhuman for me, Tele for you, Telemaster for me.
And that mandolin up there reminds me.
http://boingboing.net/2011/07/28/the-firefly-amazing-new-banjo-uke.html
Seen this? $179 banjo uke. Interesting! I gather they're generally more expensive, but they made the banjo part out of a drumhead.

Hey, Biscuit, did I just point you at that bass? It came already? Nice!

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 30, 2011

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I just got a Malden Liquid (P-90 equipped) when they were liquidating and I can back that up. It plays better than a 7 or $800 dollar guitar and I payed $198. I might swap the pick-ups or I might not.

Sparkle Biscuit
Jul 21, 2004

Honestly, I was just hitting any note.
I sold off some stuff so I could afford a new bass and some toys. Pardon the bad photo.

I'm still a beginner, so it's not fancy. The amp is just an old Peavy practice thing, but it gets the job done at home. One day I'll get a nice one. Anyhow, the bass is a SX Ursa 2 from Rondo. I may not know a poo poo ton about instruments, but I can tell that this thing was a deal and a half. I have played on more expensive, worse sounding basses. On the floor are a new TC Electronics Polytuner and a Bass Big Muff Pi. I like the polytuner a lot, though I don't have much basis for comparison. The Big Muff is so much fun. I'm sure it can do a more nuanced fuzz tone than I've got it set at now, but when I want fuzz, I want a lot. Overall, I'm extremely pleased.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sparkle Biscuit posted:

The Big Muff is so much fun. I'm sure it can do a more nuanced fuzz tone than I've got it set at now, but when I want fuzz, I want a lot. Overall, I'm extremely pleased.

You'll see a guitar Big Muff in the visible portion of my chain in the photo I posted a couple posts back. I never have any reason to take the knobs out of a position indicating that I want all the fuzz. This is an absolutely reasonable reaction.

Warcabbit posted:

It sounds good. Real good man. It plays good.

Niiiiice. Also, yeah, I'd never thought to look at smaller manufacturers, I'd always figured that it'd be the equivalent of those supercars that get built by guys in deserted office parks in the middle of England (yeah I watch Top Gear don't judge me) where you may be getting insane performance, but also will pay through the nose.

quote:

Looking at your room pic, looks like you went more or less the same way I did. SG for you, Subhuman for me, Tele for you, Telemaster for me.

Not an SG---It's actually the sad-sack Not-Really-A-Les-Paul-Anything Epiphone Special II. I was fairly down on my luck some years back, and my father bought me it, with the intent that we could end up playing together at some point---I hadn't touched a guitar in approximately a decade when he had. Now I couldn't even think to get rid of it, even though it's really not that great objectively. (Happy ending---we have played together. Sad ending---I've had to give him poo poo because he plays things wrong because he learned them wrong 40 years ago and it bugs the living poo poo out of me. Oh well!)

quote:

Seen this? $179 banjo uke. Interesting!
Madness! I would totally play something that tiny and ridiculous. Mess with people's HEADS, man...

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Nah. Xaviere's... well, they don't just do knockoffs, as you can tell by the Telemaster and the P90 Telecaster, but they are made in China, and you do get some flaws. But for the price, pretty darn good. Objective standard, middle-end Epi, or high-end Squier, with better pickups.

Malden can compete with high-end Epi.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Just drank the active pickup Kool-Aid.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Decided to get rid of my active pickups. :yum:

Not my pic, since I haven't got mine yet, but they'll be the same color scheme.
Bareknuckle Nailbombs.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Vox Pathfinder 15R, $60 on Kijiji. Needed something to play at home while my VT22 is in a friend's basement and my Blackheart gets repaired. Not too bad for a little practice amp.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Loop Master 5 channel looper with master bypass. 100 bucks :cool:

Also on the list for the newest Black Arts Toneworks pedal, the Black Forest OD:

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

New guitar, a hagstrom swede in satin black. This thing sounds amazing, and feels so solid, I love it. I wasn't sure about the tone filter, but the more I use it the more I love it. I got it for a steal as well, less than $300.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Anyone know anything about the Godin Session?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fHnVmUIgoc
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Session-Electric-Guitar-Blackburst/dp/B003C80S54
For a price like that... and yeah, $450 everywhere, I'm pretty blown away by how it sounds. Especially for a Made In USA/Canada guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Godins are definitely good instruments that don't get as much attention as they should.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Rhodes Stage 88 Mk I, serial number pegs it at July 1973. Amazing deal from a really cool guy on Craigslist, and sounds gorgeous through a JC-120.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Ortazel posted:

Rhodes Stage 88 Mk I, serial number pegs it at July 1973. Amazing deal from a really cool guy on Craigslist, and sounds gorgeous through a JC-120.

That's a lovely instrument and you got drat lucky to find one intact (no hammers missing). Now do yourself a favour and get a 1970's Fender Bassman 100 with the 2x12 cabinet, cause then you're in perfect Rhodes territory for those just about to break up sounds.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles
Had to go look at prices for vintage Fender Rhodes after that. Looks like about $1,200 - $2,000.

Really beautiful sounding instrument that's versatile and criminally underused. It also sounds really good with stereo tremolo, but that seems like a lot of work to achieve without post-processing.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Gorgeous Fender Rhodes! Great find! They sound wonderful, but man... what a PITA to load on stage. That's my only experience with them.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
Some decent quality pictures:

From top to bottom: best Rhodes sound/second best Rhodes sound :q:

I kid, but I do love the DX7 too. The Rhodes is fantastic but will need some restoration to get to pristine condition. As you can see in the photos, it is missing the sustain rod, and it came with an incomplete set of rusty legs, hence the sawhorses. It's heavy and valuable enough that it is staying right where it is for the foreseeable future anyway. I need to tinker with the action, which is pretty heavy right now, replace a lot of the dampers and reset some tines that have drifted.
Even without that, it sounds wonderful- plenty of MK I bark and bell tones, and an absolute steal for $300.

Edit: stereo tremolo is pretty easy to achieve with the direct ins on the JC-120 :)

a loathsome bird fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 13, 2011

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Oh, god, that is so beautiful. So what kind of sound do you get out of it? A Ray Charles thing?
Edit: Ah, here's someone messing with one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5A9kXk6GNw
Edit twice: Is this what they used for the Three's Company theme?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 13, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Schatten posted:

Gorgeous Fender Rhodes! Great find! They sound wonderful, but man... what a PITA to load on stage. That's my only experience with them.

Ugh, I was in a band where a guy had a 73 AND the accompanying speaker cabinet/amp. You think the keyboard was a bitch to load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

No pics, but I finally found an unmolested Silver Jubilee 2550 in a local shop.