Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

sellouts posted:

http://deadspin.com/5829748/get-to-know-a-comic-you-probably-dont-know-david-walton

Possibly the funniest and most true thing ever written on the internet.

That's great. I'm awake and reading it because I'm still a little amped from my 7:30 game (and a little buzzed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

http://deadspin.com/5829748/get-to-know-a-comic-you-probably-dont-know-david-walton

Possibly the funniest and most true thing ever written on the internet.

This rules. Although I don't think any girl I've ever been around did well with hockey smell, where did he find that one?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

bewbies posted:

This rules. Although I don't think any girl I've ever been around did well with hockey smell, where did he find that one?
I dated a chick in high school who also played hockey. We would sometimes do drop ins together... and I was pretty wtf that post shower I smelled terrible and she didn't. drat WOMEN POWERS. Good lord it takes like 2-3 showers to not smell like a dumpster. "Oh hey I just showered feelin a lot less gross post hockey... *smells hands/forearm* well then..."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

She probably has some other hangup, like flies into a rage whenever he plays a video game or refuses to help with yard work or something.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

This is awesome. I played 2 hours of pick up roller (I know I know) last night and I'm still riding the endorphin high this morning.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
How many players do you guys have on your roster?

I went with 14 skates (3 lines + 5D) And it seemed like a good idea at the start but a lot of people ended up missing games. I was thinking about going with like 16-17 guys and have the extra 3-4 guys as part time players.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

I went with 14 skates (3 lines + 5D) And it seemed like a good idea at the start but a lot of people ended up missing games. I was thinking about going with like 16-17 guys and have the extra 3-4 guys as part time players.

For the league I play in most teams go with 13 skaters on the roster (not including subs) and we usually end up with 9-10 skaters actually showing up at games. Guys seem to not want to have the reduced individual ice time of 3 full forward lines. I think the other rink in town has bigger rosters (15 I think) but it's more centrally located and a lot more people want to play there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

For this season, we're rostering 15 (3 F-lines, 3 D-lines) and have 2-3 subs.

The prior 2 seasons we rostered 18 and counted on people being out or injured. It only ended up being a problem for maybe 3 or 4 games out of the 40 or so games we've played in the two seasons. Someone volunteered to sit out with no problems.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For this season, we're rostering 15 (3 F-lines, 3 D-lines) and have 2-3 subs.

The prior 2 seasons we rostered 18 and counted on people being out or injured. It only ended up being a problem for maybe 3 or 4 games out of the 40 or so games we've played in the two seasons. Someone volunteered to sit out with no problems.

3 D lines?

People bitch when we have 5 D. Running a team sucks and I never want to do it again:smith:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

We rostered the max number in our league, but had a rank order of 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs that got first choice (paid into the team fee). If any of us couldn't make it to a game our captain called in subs of the appropriate number and position such that we ended up with 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs (subs paid per game). Some games we ended up with 2 centers and 3 pairs of wings, sometimes 3 centers and 2 pairs of wings. Couple times we rotated 5 defense if someone could make it last minute who didn't think they could. I think it worked well overall though.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Our team is really weird. It's essentially the same core of like 5-10 guys that have been playing together forever... and then you have like 10-20 people that randomly show up or get invited by a friend. You can pretty much count on anywhere between 8 and 15 guys a night. You get the right mix of guys and we can be the best team in the league, or the worst... lol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

3 D lines?

People bitch when we have 5 D. Running a team sucks and I never want to do it again:smith:

Yeah. I should have noted that we usually don't ever have 15 (including subs) that show up. So we usually end up running with 4 or 5 D-men.

If we're even shorter, we'll do exactly what Topo's team does: run 2 centers/3 wing lines or vice versa depending on who shows up.

e: Trying to set up a fantasy football league for my team is frustrating enough (I can't make the draft, can you call me and rattle off everyone's picks when it's my pick??? gently caress YOU). I never want to be captain. Ever.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Topoisomerase posted:

We rostered the max number in our league, but had a rank order of 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs that got first choice (paid into the team fee). If any of us couldn't make it to a game our captain called in subs of the appropriate number and position such that we ended up with 3 forward lines and 2 defense pairs (subs paid per game). Some games we ended up with 2 centers and 3 pairs of wings, sometimes 3 centers and 2 pairs of wings. Couple times we rotated 5 defense if someone could make it last minute who didn't think they could. I think it worked well overall though.

That's pretty much how we do things but a few players have Sharks season tickets so I think they will be missing ever more games during the winter. People want playing time but they also want cheap league fees.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I feel like 10 people + goalie is perfect. 6f, 4d, two lines of each. Nobody bitches about ice time and poo poo doesnt get complicated like it does when you have an extra guy or two.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^that is fine when all of your players are young and in good enough shape to have 2 lines of forwards, but we had at least 3 skilled players on my team who were good for a short shift but needed longer to recover in between. Ice time normally wasn't an issue for us - those of us who could handle more ice time went in for the players who couldn't and things balanced out okay in the end.

poser posted:

That's pretty much how we do things but a few players have Sharks season tickets so I think they will be missing ever more games during the winter. People want playing time but they also want cheap league fees.

Yeah that's basically the problem. A couple of our players did things like paid for half of the season and then subbed for the other half so that they only had to come up with half of a fee up front and then could pay as they played and ended up being first choice if we called in subs. And honestly I don't think there was a game where we didn't need at least one or two girls.

To be fair, our list of people we could call in was pretty extensive considering the criteria for being able to play with us was being female and at least half-decent, and a lot of girls we'd played with in the past on other teams were interested in seeing what our team was about.

Speaking of which, while we had a pretty good time for the most part in the beer league we were in, we decided as a team after our last women's tournament that we're not entering it again. I know it's a bit of a topic of contention around here, but we found that with the majority of teams in the league, the first time we played them (and usually won) the games were okay, but subsequent games were basically shitfests. Dudes came out with obvious intent to injure (taking out knees, slewfooting, etc) moreso than when any of us had been on co-ed teams before and as a result we ended up having to play a different type of game by the end of the season. Our objective was just to play together as a team and get stronger for our women's tournaments, but I think in the end it was pretty much a wash. If the league will let us pull out of the fall/winter league, we're going to. The money we pay is better put towards weekly team practices with monthly scrimmages against other area women's teams and the beer league teams we actually trust (of which there are a few).

Was fun for awhile though.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 11, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

toxicsunset posted:

I feel like 10 people + goalie is perfect. 6f, 4d, two lines of each. Nobody bitches about ice time and poo poo doesnt get complicated like it does when you have an extra guy or two.
Yeah I love when we have 10 guys, 11 is always weird because I'm a D/F I end up getting lumped into the D group so the forwards can get more time and end up getting drat near no ice-time.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Topoisomerase posted:

:words:

Thanks for the info.

Speaking of co-ed teams..

We have this female who subs for us, she grew up playing goal, won a D3 national championship and switched out to skater. She is really good and has great "hockey sense" anyways...

We have this jackass on our team and he goes up to her before her first game. "Hey babe, if you cant handle playing D let me know I will drop back". Watching warm ups you can tell she is 10 times the hockey player he is.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

toxicsunset posted:

We roll with 11 or 12 depending on who's around...

So it's either 7F (2 lines + 1 floater), 4D or
8F (3 lines, with the centers rotating between them all) + 4D.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
Made it to Game 3 (best of 3 series) in the second round of the Summer playoffs, god drat I love beer league playoff hockey.

The league admin is saying he'll likely make this Winter's playoffs best of 5 series. :aaa:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

We roll with 11 or 12 depending on who's around...

So it's either 7F (2 lines + 1 floater), 4D or
8F (3 lines, with the centers rotating between them all) + 4D.

My team is moving up to D, and you should sub for us:)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is anyone interested in buying my 52 cal stick before I throw it on ebay? It is a Zetterberg blade, 90 flex, cut to fit me (@ my nose on skates, I'm a hair under 6' tall). It has a few chips in the paint by the blade but otherwise it is in good shape, I only used it for maybe a half dozen games. It was ~$175 new, if someone wants it I'll send it for $75.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

bewbies posted:

Is anyone interested in buying my 52 cal stick before I throw it on ebay? It is a Zetterberg blade, 90 flex, cut to fit me (@ my nose on skates, I'm a hair under 6' tall). It has a few chips in the paint by the blade but otherwise it is in good shape, I only used it for maybe a half dozen games. It was ~$175 new, if someone wants it I'll send it for $75.
Left or right?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

real_scud posted:

Left or right?

Right, duh, I suppose that is important to include. Also I should have said its at my nose in shoes, at my chin on skates. Also I can put up pics later tonight if anyone wants.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Oh I forgot to mention this. Before my last game, Ray Shero and Mario Lemiuex were teaching some little kids stuff on the ice. It was pretty cool. Lemiuex was standing right next to me when I took the ice for warmups. He's tall as gently caress

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Speaking of which, while we had a pretty good time for the most part in the beer league we were in, we decided as a team after our last women's tournament that we're not entering it again. I know it's a bit of a topic of contention around here, but we found that with the majority of teams in the league, the first time we played them (and usually won) the games were okay, but subsequent games were basically shitfests. Dudes came out with obvious intent to injure (taking out knees, slewfooting, etc) moreso than when any of us had been on co-ed teams before and as a result we ended up having to play a different type of game by the end of the season. Our objective was just to play together as a team and get stronger for our women's tournaments, but I think in the end it was pretty much a wash. If the league will let us pull out of the fall/winter league, we're going to. The money we pay is better put towards weekly team practices with monthly scrimmages against other area women's teams and the beer league teams we actually trust (of which there are a few).

:allears: Skatetown :allears:

This was basically the same for us. Once we started actually winning some games, the other teams definitely stepped up the dirty play. There's a couple teams in Bronze who are dirty as poo poo and we can't stand playing them. It usually comes down to a few certain players though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

San Jose goons: my gear arrives in SJ next week. Anybody want a player?

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Just got to use an old aluminum Nike stick... to murder a spider in my room. It was over two inches and surprised the hell out of me when it went running across my floor. Homey done got got by the blade. Planning a session of garage roller hockey tomorrow now :toot:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Man I miss hockey so much. I think I'm going to start playing again soon.

Maybe it's just laziness but in the OP it says don't get used to dull blades. I always liked my blades just a tad dull for comfort. Is anyone else like this?

e: also will kill for old TPS rubber senior sticks :smith:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Chemmy posted:

San Jose goons: my gear arrives in SJ next week. Anybody want a player?

Perfect timing, summer season is starting to wrap up. Winter league is firing up, you could get a team easily. What skill level are you?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I dunno. I'm pretty decent, not a beginner or a professional.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

I dunno. I'm pretty decent, not a beginner or a professional.

A- Played college club / juniors or just really good
B/BB - A/B and AA/AAA players
C-CCC - Some ringers but people who played hockey for a long time and are fast
D-DDDDD - Have hockey sense but are moving from roller / older slower players
E-EEEE - Beginners / a people with a few years of hockey / older players who are too slow for the higher leagues

A-BB is where most of the really good players are. I play in DD and DDDDD and a guy on my DD is terrible and hangs in CC. I hear the C leagues are actually not as good as the D levels because the A/B players know they belong in the higher leagues and play there but the "tweeners" play down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'll say I'd probably be a useful player in C and a good player in D.

No one's going to confuse me for an OHLer or anything.

I can play wing or center, am a pass first playmaker and once went an entire D level season without being on ice for an even strength goal against.

My gear arrives tomorrow pick me pick me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I'm looking at the Air 9000Z Tackla pants based upon this thread's recommendations. Anyone have this specific pair and love or hate them? Sounds like a good 30th (:smith:) birthday present to myself.

I currently wear cheap-o Missions, so pretty much anything is an improvement.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 12, 2011

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Does anyone have a good link or some info on good positioning and plays? I feel my hockey sense is decent but not great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Does anyone have a good link or some info on good positioning and plays? I feel my hockey sense is decent but not great

Besides watching NHL games you mean?

There's a handful of decent youtube channels with some specific advice and drills. My favorites are:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ed5k
http://www.youtube.com/user/PlaymakersHockey
http://www.youtube.com/user/weissie20

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

I'll say I'd probably be a useful player in C and a good player in D.

No one's going to confuse me for an OHLer or anything.

I can play wing or center, am a pass first playmaker and once went an entire D level season without being on ice for an even strength goal against.

My gear arrives tomorrow pick me pick me.

I might have a spot, let me talk to some people..

But warning: We kinda suck and there is a guy on our team that takes 2-3 penalties a game but if funny as hell so we let him stay around.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Sorry to turn this into team finding chat but I'm looking for a slot in Los Angeles on a low level team, been doing stick/puck and pickup for about 6 months along with a Daryl Evans month long class, but everyone's team is either mid level or full.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

lazerwolf posted:

I suggestion picking up the book Hockey Plays and Strategies http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Plays-and-Strategies-ebook/dp/B003C2SP4Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1313180927&sr=8-3 It was written by two coaches who worked with the Canadian national team and the various NHL organizations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So Chemmy is joining my team, no more pretending to be good at hockey on the internet:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

poser posted:

So Chemmy is joining my team, no more pretending to be good at hockey on the internet:smith:
Haha, I work with the goalie on my team. Our boss now says he can't lie about "all the sweet saves" he makes, as I'm proof of what really happens.