Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

buy a hotdog! posted:

I'm trying to set up a new server and for some reason I can't get any servers to run anymore, even though I've made several in the past. Making a simple vanilla server with minecraft_server.exe doesn't work because nothing happens when I open it. Running a minecraft_server.jar with a .bat file gives me this:

code:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticCollector.<clinit>(SourceFile:5)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticList.<clinit>(SourceFile:31)
        at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.main(MinecraftServer.java:489)
        at org.bukkit.craftbukkit.Main.main(Main.java:123)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Properties$LineReader.readLine(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load0(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Properties.load(Unknown Source)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<init>(SourceFile:17)
        at net.minecraft.server.StatisticStorage.<clinit>(SourceFile:8)
        ... 4 more
Press any key to continue . . .
I've tried re installing Java and tried both available versions (1.6 and 1.7). Both versions gave me the same results.

Just looks like it is having trouble reading the config file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?

pylb posted:

By default, it uses the Intel chip if I'm running off the battery and the discrete card when it's connected. Installing the official Catalyst drivers disables the switchable graphics though, you need to use HP ones (rarely updated) or modded ones.

There's the rub; I have the official Catalyst drivers, yet I've always had them, and as I said before, the game ran perfectly yesterday.

I scoured the Minecraft forums, and found what might be the source of my problems, but not the solution. Basically Open GL is running from the integrated graphics card you mentioned before, and that's not suitable for Minecraft (my integrated graphics use version 1.1, while I'm told Minecraft needs 2.0 or higher).

My problem becomes how do I get it to detect that I do have a graphics card (the ATI one) with viable Open GL capabilities?

EDIT: In case anyone doesn't understand what I meant, I'm not the greatest technologically capable person out there:

Minecraft will only register the integrated graphics card with outdated Open GL.

Yet I have a graphics card installed (and runs fine for everything else) that has the right Open GL Minecraft requires.

So I do I get it to go back to detecting the right graphics card like it was doing yesterday?

Sorry if I'm being pushy or something; it's just frustrating and I just want to build castles. :(

DeliriousDelight fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 11, 2011

Isko
May 20, 2008
I bought an account almost a year ago but never played it much because my laptop didn't handle it very well. Just got a new computer though and I was looking forward to playing me some minecraft but when I try to log on it says my account isn't premium. Oh well, I sent in a support thing so hopefully I can get this fixed quickly.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Has anyone been getting a message that their Minecraft login is unregistered/pirated while playing? I bought it back when it was $10, and I've been getting this popup in the upper left occasionally, but it doesn't interfere with gameplay so I've pretty much been ignoring it. Might have something to do with mods?

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

quote:

Here are the rules for it:

1. No using any editors or mods that make it easy to gather resources.
2. No mods that will change the map or require other people to have it to play the map.
3. No tearing down structures that other people have made.
4. You can't play on Peaceful, since this is about death.
5. Unless your fire is far enough away that it won't cause damage to other structures, don't make it.
6. Once you die and respawn, immediately save the world and close, then e-mail it back. Your turn is up, no exceptions.
7. You get the map for a week. If you don't send it back in 7 days, the same map you were sent gets sent out to the next person. If you don't die in the seven days, send an e-mail to the same one you signed up with saying so and you'll get another 7 days. However, you have a maximum of two weeks. If you haven't died by then, send it back anyways.

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list.

List of Players:

Danyull
Intl Cron
Fishylungs
Abortion is yummy
Estel
Frobbe
Tinuan (TURN)
Mastiff
Boiled Water
Arkitektbmw
Rack
kinghotpants
Nekoxid
AzMiLion
Nettle Soup
Marux
Raar_Im_a_Dinosaur
Number 169
permanoob
A Sassy Dog
Tristram Shandy
Janderbuilt
Oh. My. Zeus.
AlexMoron
Jaktai
Suddenly Tentacles
astralcalculus

Danyull fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 11, 2011

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
What happens if you don't die?

e: also is there a requirement to do any sort of accompanying post or anything like that?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

The Wise Teen posted:

Has anyone been getting a message that their Minecraft login is unregistered/pirated while playing? I bought it back when it was $10, and I've been getting this popup in the upper left occasionally, but it doesn't interfere with gameplay so I've pretty much been ignoring it. Might have something to do with mods?

I don't think mods will cause this to appear, at least not any of the popular ones (if they did, the modders would probably know about it pretty quickly and fix it). I think the message can appear in two circumstances: either your computer was offline or couldn't connect to minecraft.net when logging in, or you are logged in from two locations. If this is happening regularly, probably a good idea to change your password just in case. :tinfoil:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Anyone else having trouble logging into the minecraft forums now they moved to that curse poo poo? It just keeps saying that my email is taken, or my name is taken on the curse servers whenever I try and migrate my old account, and that my password is wrong whenever I try to log in to the curse thing using megaspel. Can't find any megaspel user in their member list though, and it says my email doesn't exist when I try to recover my password.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've been having intermittent problems logging in over the past few days. With the rollout of 1.8 and 2.0 it wouldn't suprise me that login problems are stemming from back end upgrades/testing; I suspect they're beefing up their systems in anticipation of a huge surge of users who haven't played in ages. Practically everyone I've talked to says "yeah those endermen look neat; I'll probably try it out again when 1.8 finally arrives".

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Megaspel posted:

Anyone else having trouble logging into the minecraft forums now they moved to that curse poo poo? It just keeps saying that my email is taken, or my name is taken on the curse servers whenever I try and migrate my old account, and that my password is wrong whenever I try to log in to the curse thing using megaspel. Can't find any megaspel user in their member list though, and it says my email doesn't exist when I try to recover my password.

I do remember it being a "yelling at my computer because this is such a colossal pain in the rear end" type deal when I switched over, but outside that, all I remember is that I did get my account to switch over eventually.

I want to say it was something retarded with popups being blocked or having to make sure referers weren't disabled or turning off adblock/noscript or something ridiculous like that.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Wait, you're yelling at your computer because you can't get on the Minecraft forums? :psyduck:

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME
^You don't understand, it's complete insanity.

Megaspel posted:

Okay, here's how I did it (I think):

I couldn't make a regular curse account, because it kept saying the email was already used, so I ended up going to the Curse Support Center, and making a username through that registration option, using the same email but a different username. That seemed to work.

Then I went back to the minecraft forums, but when I tried to link the curse account to the minecraft forum account it said the password was incorrect. So I reset the password via email. This is an even more insane process, you hit forgot password, it sends you an email with a link to reset the password. Then that link brings you to another page, and on this page is a button that says "reset my password". It then sends you ANOTHER email with a new temporary password.

Now there's a link in that email to go back to the minecraft forums and log in, but it won't work if you try to log in with your email and new temporary password. So go back to the minecraft forum front page, click sign in, and then put in your curse account, email address, and new temporary password. That should work. :thumbsup:

Only a minecraft sperg could design such an unnecessarily complex process.

Unstable Pants
Sep 1, 2004

OH GOD, THEY'RE GOING CRITICAL! RUN!
I've got a world going that's something of a jumble of major projects going on. I have a giant great hall, a long underground railway complete with abandoned construction site, and a bunch of other poo poo.

I'm now adding a half-sunken dome.

Holy poo poo was it painful getting to this point. I have a feeling it's only going to get worse. :(

Fake E: Looking at that picture I now want to make it bigger. gently caress me.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Wait, you're yelling at your computer because you can't get on the Minecraft forums? :psyduck:

Nah, I was yelling at my computer because horrible web UI makes me angry. :shobon:

triad posted:

^You don't understand, it's complete insanity.

This dude gets it. It's loving 2011, it should not be that hard to log into a goddamn forum.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 11, 2011

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
It (curse) really is bad.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

naptalan posted:

I don't think mods will cause this to appear, at least not any of the popular ones (if they did, the modders would probably know about it pretty quickly and fix it). I think the message can appear in two circumstances: either your computer was offline or couldn't connect to minecraft.net when logging in, or you are logged in from two locations. If this is happening regularly, probably a good idea to change your password just in case. :tinfoil:

Ah, being offline is most likely it then. I'm at home for the next few days until school starts back up, and the wireless connection here is terrible. Thanks!

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
You know what, gently caress it. The Minecraft forums really isn't worth that hassle. What was the incentive to switch over to this horrible horribleness?

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Megaspel posted:

You know what, gently caress it. The Minecraft forums really isn't worth that hassle. What was the incentive to switch over to this horrible horribleness?

Gobs and gobs of money.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The more gaming communities they can monopolize, the more advertising they can shovel at people.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
From Google+:

Notch posted:

Reworking the biome code. Interesting stuff. Will probably allow for rivers. :D

I really hope he follows through with that and it's included in 1.8.

Also, this thread is dying compared to the modding thread. :(

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
What kind of storage rooms have you guys built? I'm trolling for some new ideas.

Mine's in the basement of my wizard tower behind a riddle-based lock.

There are two levers in the chest.

On which two yellow blocks do the levers go?
---
"Clunk-click," goes the lock.

Of course since this is a single player world I just keep the doors open all the time. gently caress it, no creepers want to visit my stanky rear end dungeon, anyway. :reject:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Montalvo posted:

From Google+:

Nah, the modding thread just had a huge explosion of *drama*. I'd still expect the modding thread to be more active until 1.8 is released, though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Montalvo posted:

From Google+:

Well, yes and no. I hate it when I have a nice world, and suddenly something changes in the biome code. Snow melting someplaces and other places entire oceans freezes.

Rivers would be incredibly cool, though.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

Well, yes and no. I hate it when I have a nice world, and suddenly something changes in the biome code. Snow melting someplaces and other places entire oceans freezes.

Rivers would be incredibly cool, though.

I just really hopes he fixes/changes the way water operates in general. I tried making a waterfall/pond and it's impossible to make it look even.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The way to work water is to make an outline of the shape of your pond one block deep. Fill it up with water - make a 2x2 hole off to the side somewhere and empty two buckets of water into opposite corners of it. That will give you infinite water to work with.

When you have the pond all filled up, dig out the blocks under the water. That way you can make it as deep as you want without worrying about getting 'holes' in the water.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The major changes coming in 1.8 are the main reason why I've stopped playing Minecraft until it updates. That and I've also really burned out on it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

The way to work water it to make an outline of the shape of your pond one block deep. Fill it up with water - using a 2x2 grid of water will give you infinite water to fill your buckets.

When you have the pond all filled up, dig out the blocks under the water. That way you can make it as deep as you want without worrying about getting 'holes' in the water.

Yeah, I have my 2x2 source close by to refill, but it's a natural largish hole. Most of it has been fine but it keeps getting weird current patterns in it, even when it IS a source block surrounded by other source blocks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Because water is infinitely gettable anyway, at that point you could just mcedit all the water in.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gorilla Salad posted:

The way to work water is to make an outline of the shape of your pond one block deep. Fill it up with water - make a 2x2 hole off to the side somewhere and empty two buckets of water into opposite corners of it. That will give you infinite water to work with.

Doesn't this lead to the water under the surface to be downward flowing, rather than still? I'm sure it doesn't matter aesthetically when viewed from above, but it'd be annoying if you were in it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

if you are getting surface currents then you need to place a block underneath the offending water block, then remove it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 11, 2011

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Rack posted:

Yeah, I have my 2x2 source close by to refill, but it's a natural largish hole. Most of it has been fine but it keeps getting weird current patterns in it, even when it IS a source block surrounded by other source blocks.
Yeah, that's your problem. Make it so your pond is only one block deep (put a layer of dirt in it or something), then the surface will be perfectly even, without any random currents. You can dig out the dirt at that point and you'll have an even, deep pond.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I'm currently in the middle of my first really major building project: Seppuku Station, the first level of Shadow Warrior. Why? I'm not entirely sure.

I started by digging a loooong tunnel from my spawn point base (now a travel hub) to the site, laying rails as I went. When I decided I had gone far enough, I began construction with the train platform, which is actually the end of the level. Now I'm working my way backwards, and at this point I'm maybe a third of the way through. So far I've got:

Platform 54. Mine has a bunch of blue everywhere because it's on the blue line of what willmight eventually be a larger rail system. I haven't put in the track on the opposite side yet, largely because I don't yet have anywhere for it to go.

The... waiting room, I guess? The presence of the storage lockers in the original made a great excuse for me to set up a storage/crafting area here. It's also currently serving as my bedroom. There is actually a potted plant in the original as well, but it got blown up by one of those coolies.

The koi pond. That little sign on the far wall actually does say the same thing as the original.

The lobby, still under construction and thus far just barely recognizable.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list, we'll start when we have our first five people.

The list of players will also go in this post once it starts.

EDIT: Fixed, drat you. And to your edit, no, but I fixed that as well. VVV

Emailed. I tried getting on the last chain you did but...yeah...dickbag. Still love ya though, in a non-homo way. Anyways, in order to help with the mod conflicting and stuff you really should generate a massive bit of land. I've got Yogbox on so I'm sure I'll have to revert to non-yog but still it'd be helpful to have most of the map pre-generated.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

DeliriousDelight posted:

There's the rub; I have the official Catalyst drivers, yet I've always had them, and as I said before, the game ran perfectly yesterday.

I scoured the Minecraft forums, and found what might be the source of my problems, but not the solution. Basically Open GL is running from the integrated graphics card you mentioned before, and that's not suitable for Minecraft (my integrated graphics use version 1.1, while I'm told Minecraft needs 2.0 or higher).

My problem becomes how do I get it to detect that I do have a graphics card (the ATI one) with viable Open GL capabilities?

So I do I get it to go back to detecting the right graphics card like it was doing yesterday?

Sorry if I'm being pushy or something; it's just frustrating and I just want to build castles. :(

Try this maybe ?
http://forum.notebookreview.com/7794815-post1875.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/7767628-post1684.html

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arkitektbmw posted:

Emailed. I tried getting on the last chain you did but...yeah...dickbag. Still love ya though, in a non-homo way. Anyways, in order to help with the mod conflicting and stuff you really should generate a massive bit of land. I've got Yogbox on so I'm sure I'll have to revert to non-yog but still it'd be helpful to have most of the map pre-generated.

Emailed, too. It'll be interesting to see how that works out, because I'm vanilla (aside from optifine). I assume that it'll work out just fine until a chunk with non-vanilla-items is loaded? Or will the level not load at all if it exists on the map?

VVVVV - Thats not so bad.

Rack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 11, 2011

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Mod blocks will vanish, and the game will crash if there are any modded items in your inventory, or if you open a chest with modded items in it.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Emailed. I'll make a fresh .minecraft folder for this, because I don't want to inadvertently screw something up for the next guy.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Emong posted:

Mod blocks will vanish, and the game will crash if there are any modded items in your inventory, or if you open a chest with modded items in it.

in my experience, modded items in the inventory just disappears.

also emailed about the chain world, apparently i forgot item 1 in your list and asked about in the email, but all's well!

EuroYank
Jan 10, 2010
Signed up! See you guys on one of the goons servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Alright, we've got well over 5 people for the chain world now, so I'll go ahead and start it off. The list has been updated for you to check where you're at, have fun.