Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Danyull posted:

So in the last thread I started a chain world thing and kind of started forgetting to check it and it fell apart (because I am a forgetful dickbag), but I guess I'll take another shot at it now that it's a new thread.

Rules:

If you want to sign up for it send an e-mail to somethingawfulmcchain@gmail.com (Please include your SA username) and you'll be put on the list.

I'd like to sign up for this too (email sent)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

nekoxid posted:

I'd like to sign up for this too (email sent)!

Same here, also sent an e-mail.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Welp, a creeper surprised me while I was building a house and took me out in one hit. It's off to you, Intl Cron (who I just realized I forgot to add to the player list.)

Danyull fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 11, 2011

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

I've got a question that maybe someone can help out with. We have a SMP server that we started on 1.5.1 that we upgraded to 1.7.3 when it came out a while back. Ever since the upgrade to 1.7.3, parts of the world have been slowly freezing over. At first we thought it was limited and it may have been something odd with Biomes (as we've been seeing odd chunk creation as well), but as of the last couple of days, the entire world has slowly been freezing entirely. I feel like a Stark or something. Anyway, is this a known issue or just a really odd unique occurrence? is it possible to fix?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Slio posted:

I've got a question that maybe someone can help out with. We have a SMP server that we started on 1.5.1 that we upgraded to 1.7.3 when it came out a while back. Ever since the upgrade to 1.7.3, parts of the world have been slowly freezing over. At first we thought it was limited and it may have been something odd with Biomes (as we've been seeing odd chunk creation as well), but as of the last couple of days, the entire world has slowly been freezing entirely. I feel like a Stark or something. Anyway, is this a known issue or just a really odd unique occurrence? is it possible to fix?

I don't what is causing it or how to fix it, but if you aren't building a giant wall to keep the zombies out, you are a terrible person

badomen
Mar 8, 2004

Slio posted:

There seems to be a bug where your original seed gets lost - and thus the biomes get shifted around. This happened on one of my multiplayer worlds too.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

crazylakerfan posted:

I don't what is causing it or how to fix it, but if you aren't building a giant wall to keep the zombies out, you are a terrible person

Way ahead of you.

How does one lose your original seed?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Didn't the guy who started this Minecraft chain world turn it into a religion of some sort? I remember reading that and just laughing at how stupid it was.

EDIT: I don't mean this one, the one that inspired Danyull to make one.

EDIT2: Here it is:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/mf_chainworld/all/1

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 11, 2011

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

AzMiLion posted:

Same here, also sent an e-mail.

Sent one too, should be interesting.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

JGBeagle posted:

Didn't the guy who started this Minecraft chain world turn it into a religion of some sort? I remember reading that and just laughing at how stupid it was.

EDIT: I don't mean this one, the one that inspired Danyull to make one.

You're thinking of this guy, in which a guy makes a Minecraft mod and passed it around on a usb stick in the same way.

Scanning the article over since the first time I read it, it looks like some people tried to cash-in on it's existence and everyone's just getting pissed off about it. Also, the guy proclaiming he's god for creating a one-time-use MC mod is pretty :rolleyes:

edit - :argh:

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

Nettle Soup posted:

Sent one too, should be interesting.

I'll give this a try, it's always neat seeing how other people do things.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rack posted:

You're thinking of this guy, in which a guy makes a Minecraft mod and passed it around on a usb stick in the same way.

Scanning the article over since the first time I read it, it looks like some people tried to cash-in on it's existence and everyone's just getting pissed off about it. Also, the guy proclaiming he's god for creating a one-time-use MC mod is pretty :rolleyes:

Wouldn't exactly say "cashing in", considering the person wanted to try and use it to raise money for charity.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

badomen posted:

There seems to be a bug where your original seed gets lost - and thus the biomes get shifted around. This happened on one of my multiplayer worlds too.

That seemed to be it. Was more than likely caused by one of the multiple power outages we've had in the last 2 weeks. Pulled the seed from a backup and that looks to have fixed it. Glad too, hard to build a city on water when everything is frozen. Though it makes the wall have a purpose at least.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Danyull posted:

Welp, a creeper surprised me while I was building a house and took me out in one hit. It's off to you, Intl Cron (who I just realized I forgot to add to the player list.)

Die quickly, my fellow crafters. I want to play this before the whole idea falls apart.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Rack posted:

It seems like it's more like he figured out how to win an indie game contest with very little work by having a kinda clever idea during the height of the Minecraft fad and loosely tied it into the theme of religion.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Al! posted:

It seems like it's more like he figured out how to win an indie game contest with very little work by having a kinda clever idea during the height of the Minecraft fad and loosely tied it into the theme of religion.

I'm somewhat surprised at how derivative the religion idea was. I really enjoyed some of this guy's other work. Especially Passage.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm somewhat surprised at how derivative the religion idea was. I really enjoyed some of this guy's other work. Especially Passage.

At the time you could've sculpted Minecraft cubes out of your own poo poo and it would've won some kind of award at that GDC. He just happened to spot an excellent opportunity.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Sign me up for this legacy world!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Can someone repost the command line to run Minecraft with more memory? It should be in the OP too, along with a note about using 64 bit java to prevent crashes and the environment settings and crap for that, too.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Gilok posted:

Can someone repost the command line to run Minecraft with more memory? It should be in the OP too, along with a note about using 64 bit java to prevent crashes and the environment settings and crap for that, too.

Make a shortcut, target "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\{path to minecraft.exe}\Minecraft.exe"

And change the 4096M to whatever if you want to allocate less than 4 gigs.

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.
I also want in on this chain world. Be warned, people that come after me: I don't die easily. Of course, knowing you people there will be a fire maze around the spawn by the time I get the world...

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
You know, I always pined after the Dwarf Fortress chain threads, but never wanted to invest time into learning to play that girth of a game. Minecraft is a game I know somewhat intimately.. I think I'd like to give it a go.

Emailin' now. I promise I'll do good. :unsmith:

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So I'm having my best ever singleplayer game. I started the game with the intent on recreating the castle Toran from Suikoden 1, but I'm kind of at a loss what to do.

Firstly, my design sucks poo poo, the angles look boring and crude and I don't know how to do anything elegant like I see screenshots of. Do you guys design stuff beforehand or wing it or what?

Secondly, I'm kind of bored at this point. Mined and made my first ever diamond tools, built a portal to the nether, got a bunch of glowstone, and I'm too dumb for red dust shenanigans.

I think I'm to unimaginative for this game lol

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
I walk the line between looking at other's screenshots for inspiration (NOT STEALING), looking at photos, and winging it.. quite the line! I used to do a shitton of designing beforehand but it slowly turned into my using MCEdit for everything. Basically, if you aren't a spergy gently caress, design for efficiency and proper space allocation, then pretty poo poo up. ACCENT EVERYTHING. Slowly work aesthetic design into your initial construction.

As for redstone, fashion yourself a set of buttons, levers, and pressure plates. Start with doors and hatches and build them when you need them. As time goes on, you should realize some cool things you might like to do, at which point you can look them up online or ask here in the thread how to get them accomplished. Don't try and figure out aspergite charts and designs, they don't work for normal people.

e: Basically what I'm getting at is not everything redstone is complex pedantic bullshit. If you start with the practical and the utilitarian and learn how the currents behave and the basic logic behind it you will slowly work your way through learning how to make 16 bit computers.

moondust fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 12, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Firstly, my design sucks poo poo, the angles look boring and crude and I don't know how to do anything elegant like I see screenshots of. Do you guys design stuff beforehand or wing it or what?

I have trouble getting things to look good as well, but what I've found so far is that it's all about using existing blocks for new purposes. Halfblocks in particular have a ton of uses.

Try not to make structures out of a single uniform material, it looks ugly as hell. If you're building with wood, use tree blocks for corners or columns. For interiors, use colored wool for carpeting or black and white for tiles.

Put roofs on your buildings; steps for steep V shapes, or halfblocks for shallower, more symmetrical designs.

Look at real life architecture, then steal it. Gothic churches and traditional Japanese shrines are relatively easy megaprojects that tend to look decent in Minecraft, especially if you don't mind shopping around for an appropriate texture pack. Brutalism is for cobblestone babbies.

Learn how water behaves and add it to your designs; this is a great way to make cobblestone structures less boring.

If you're playing with monsters enabled, glowstone generally looks better than candles everywhere, especially outside.

DeliriousDelight
Feb 22, 2011

"Let's spend $90 for a robo-puppy who will follow me and play with me and love me forever!"

The dog just walks around and sleeps all day. It won't even play fetch. What kind of dog won't play fetch?

I did try that, and that failed as well (probably because my dv6 is an older version than those). I spent all day yesterday trying everything, and after a fourth system restore (the previous three failed for some reason), I had gotten Vanilla Minecraft running, but then my computer started spitting out missing executable errors, so long story short I said "gently caress it", and did a full system wipe. Remember kids, always back up your files!

So, I really don't know what went wrong to begin with, but oh well. It works now. Thanks for all your help anyways.

Now I can go back to building my coastal town. :D

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Got the chain world, starting on some work tonight. (By the way, your directions to the 'house' were a bit vague - found it though.)

Fear not, fellow Minecrafters, for mobs flock to me like moths to the flame. Or my body to lava pools. Either way.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
When the Humble Indie Bundle 3 was being sold, I noticed there was free 14-day trial of Minecraft. Now, I wasn't sure about trying it. I didn't think it was my kind of game. However, a bunch of people I hang out with in Skype play it, and convinced me to try it.

5 hours later, I stepped away from the computer. It's nothing compared to what I've seen other people build, but this is what I had done so far. (A week later, it's been cleaned up, and I've been doing other things. I literally uploaded that 5/6 hours after I started playing.) The best part was they only told me enough to get started ("Go find a tree and punch it. Then, you're going to make a crafting block, and a pickaxe out of the wood. Alright, have fun!"), and figuring out how to build stuff was really fun.

I spawned on that island, and when night fell, I dug a hole to hide in. I expanded that into my lair, and for the longest time I just walled it off with dirt--until I learned about doors. I dug the sand for the glass before I found out about shovels. I liked that I asked myself "Hmm. If I tried putting this block of sand in the furnace and melting it, would that make glass? Awesome! However, this wood is running out fast. If I'm going to keep making stuff, I need a better fuel. (My friends) told me coal is good, but I can't find much. Maybe I can make charcoal out of wood." And it worked.

It turns out I didn't even need 1 day of the 14-day trial to know I liked it. I now own it. I'm currently working on my underground mine. One section broke into a cave system, and another part is being cleared out for my massive underground castle. I'm running through pickaxes like mad. I'm also working on stuff on the server my friends play on.

triad
Jan 6, 2007

YOU KNEADED SOMEONE TO BLAME, SO YOU CRUST IT ON ME

Cephalocidal posted:

Make a shortcut, target "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\{path to minecraft.exe}\Minecraft.exe"

And change the 4096M to whatever if you want to allocate less than 4 gigs.

I keep getting the error: "Could not create the Java virtual machine". Any ideas? I've got my target written out as such:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\Users\Scott\Minecraft.exe"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Polka_Rapper posted:

When the Humble Indie Bundle 3 was being sold, I noticed there was free 14-day trial of Minecraft. Now, I wasn't sure about trying it. I didn't think it was my kind of game. However, a bunch of people I hang out with in Skype play it, and convinced me to try it.

5 hours later, I stepped away from the computer. It's nothing compared to what I've seen other people build, but this is what I had done so far. (A week later, it's been cleaned up, and I've been doing other things. I literally uploaded that 5/6 hours after I started playing.) The best part was they only told me enough to get started ("Go find a tree and punch it. Then, you're going to make a crafting block, and a pickaxe out of the wood. Alright, have fun!"), and figuring out how to build stuff was really fun.

I spawned on that island, and when night fell, I dug a hole to hide in. I expanded that into my lair, and for the longest time I just walled it off with dirt--until I learned about doors. I dug the sand for the glass before I found out about shovels. I liked that I asked myself "Hmm. If I tried putting this block of sand in the furnace and melting it, would that make glass? Awesome! However, this wood is running out fast. If I'm going to keep making stuff, I need a better fuel. (My friends) told me coal is good, but I can't find much. Maybe I can make charcoal out of wood." And it worked.

It turns out I didn't even need 1 day of the 14-day trial to know I liked it. I now own it. I'm currently working on my underground mine. One section broke into a cave system, and another part is being cleared out for my massive underground castle. I'm running through pickaxes like mad. I'm also working on stuff on the server my friends play on.

Another successful convert! I remember playing the first time and discovering the bed recipe without having ever seen it before purely by guessing and I was quite excited. Loving your underwater tunnel!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Polka_Rapper posted:

I'm loving the dirt blocks in the glass tunnel to create light. You're next mission is to find glow stone and place it underwater next to the tunnel so you can get rid of that dirt.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

FirePhoenix posted:

Another successful convert! I remember playing the first time and discovering the bed recipe without having ever seen it before purely by guessing and I was quite excited. Loving your underwater tunnel!

I though the bed would use leather at first. Then I tried wool. :v: The thing I got excited about discovering was how to make a furnace, because I had an idea of what it was, and I was correct. ("Hey guys, I've been mining stone, but I don't have any cobblestone." "PR, have you been using your pickaxe?" "...no. Does it matter?").

The best thing was I had just gotten some gunpowder. I knew from seeing some videos and hearing people talk I could make TNT. My brother--who was walking by--said "TNT? That would be gunpowder and sand." He hadn't played Minecraft yet but I had been talking about how you craft by putting the correct items in the general shape of the item you are trying to make, and after some discussing, I went to the Minecraft wiki. He was correct. (I've been staying away from the wiki, but we had to check.)

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm loving the dirt blocks in the glass tunnel to create light. You're next mission is to find glow stone and place it underwater next to the tunnel so you can get rid of that dirt.

I was disappointed to find torches did not stick to glass, so I improvised.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Polka_Rapper posted:

I was disappointed to find torches did not stick to glass, so I improvised.

Any reason you didn't just put the torches on the ground?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Oh christ, I built a wizard tower like place, thick, goes thin, then thickens again, and I was wayyyyyyy high up leaning off the edge expanding the landing, and my heart fell into my shoes.

Anyone else scared of heights that this game sets off?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
^^Building that beacon to mark my island was nerve-wracking. I don't like heights, even in video games.^^

King of Solomon posted:

Any reason you didn't just put the torches on the ground?

The floor, walls, and ceiling are all glass. It doesn't really matter though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Polka_Rapper posted:

The floor, walls, and ceiling are all glass. It doesn't really matter though.

Oh, I didn't notice that. Definitely look into getting some glowstone, then. It might make a good floor, if you don't feel like loving around with the exterior to your tunnel.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Loving Life Partner posted:

Anyone else scared of heights that this game sets off?

Not since I got a new keyboard. My old one, the shift key was really wonky and I would just drop off ledges with no warning. And then I'd try to remap the key and then I'd forget I remapped it and I'd end up just jogging off ledges now-unassigned shift key.

Now the only time I get nervous about sneaking up to a ledge is when I'm building cobblestone walls & roads in the Nether, and it's an eighty-block drop into lava with ghasts spitting at me.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Why don't more people use Caps Lock for sneaking?

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Mastiff posted:

Not since I got a new keyboard. My old one, the shift key was really wonky and I would just drop off ledges with no warning. And then I'd try to remap the key and then I'd forget I remapped it and I'd end up just jogging off ledges now-unassigned shift key.

I didn't know what sneaking did when I built that beacon tower. I though it was for sneaking around hostile mobs. I think I fell off once, but lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

thatdarnedbob posted:

Why don't more people use Caps Lock for sneaking?

You got me excited for a second because I thought it would make it toggleable. No go.