Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The thread's task is not yet done: there are still people out there who haven't seen this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gst_Spectre
Mar 27, 2010
Oh god. Just watched episode 82. I seriously yelled at the screen the entire episode. I don't know how I'm going to finish the series without Yang around. So depressing.

I'm not sure what counts as spoilers, but I don't want to take any chances. Such a powerful episode. This show is amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gst_Spectre posted:

Oh god. Just watched episode 82. I seriously yelled at the screen the entire episode. I don't know how I'm going to finish the series without Yang around. So depressing.

I'm not sure what counts as spoilers, but I don't want to take any chances. Such a powerful episode. This show is amazing.

Yeah it's best to spoil things, since we are always trying to attract new viewers, though I don't know what kind of knuckle head jumps to the back of a ancient thread expecting not to be spoiled.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

AzraelNewtype posted:

It may be worth noting that C-A has finally put out DVD rips of the entire 110 episode main series, and the first group appear to not be the ones I know I had back when I first watched it, so it's possible these newest versions were made after somebody taught their guy what inverse telecine means. Next time you feel the itch to rewatch, you should trade up.
Oh cool. A quick check should be the framerate (23.976 and it's been IVTCed, 29.97 and it's not), and for me at least that's the first 22 episodes that I have.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 24, 2011

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

Oh cool. A quick check should be the framerate (23.976 and it's been IVTCed, probably), and for me at least that's the first 22 episodes.

I honestly haven't downloaded any of it yet, don't have the harddrive space at the moment. If anyone's jumped to it and could remark, that'd be great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks to me like the only episodes are are changed are, obviously enough, the v2 episodes, which are 1-18. 19-22 are still 29.97 fps if episode 22 is any indication.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
THORA has a poll up asking what they should encode next and LOGH is on the list. I'm guessing that means there are Blu Rays out in Japan, so if you want that poo poo to happen, then go on over and vote.

Not that the show needs HD, but... why not :/

I made it up to around episode 30 before school knocked me off track, so it would be cool to re-follow the show in high def.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As I just found out, you have to be careful of the framerate check I mentioned earlier. MPC at the very least seems to get very confused with anything that isn't exactly 23.976. For example, using something like MediaInfo reports the framerate of episode 22 as being 23.975 and not having any extra "interlaced" frames. Which matches what my eyes tell me while watching the episode. Yet MPC reports 29.97 for that episode. It does beg the question though as to why they are not exactly 23.976. Baby steps I guess for CA's encoder?

I feel pretty confident at this point that 1-18 are the only DVD episodes you need to redownload. Also if any of you are usenet users, go that route because it looks like every episode is up on binsearch and fanzub and it's way faster than anything else.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Nate RFB posted:

I feel pretty confident at this point that 1-18 are the only DVD episodes you need to redownload. Also if any of you are usenet users, go that route because it looks like every episode is up on binsearch and fanzub and it's way faster than anything else.

Of the DVD episodes maybe, but they only just finished the LD run within the last month or so. I'm pretty sure most of us only have LD rips.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just ran through this whole series in the past few weeks. Really great stuff.

I wish I could remember which ep but when Julian was trying to wake up Yang and Yang was saying "but there's peace in my dreams" and threw up the V from under the covers I lost my poo poo laughing..

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Breaky posted:

Just ran through this whole series in the past few weeks. Really great stuff.

I wish I could remember which ep but when Julian was trying to wake up Yang and Yang was saying "but there's peace in my dreams" and threw up the V from under the covers I lost my poo poo laughing..

I've had this quote on my facebook for a while now

Yang Wenli posted:

Alcohol is a friend to humanity. Can I abandon a friend?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

I've had this quote on my facebook for a while now

Weird coincidence. This has been my desktop background for weeks now.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
My friend and I just finished watching the series over the last six months.

Tea and brandy.
Broken wine glasses.
Battleaxes.
Pensions.
Oberstein being the biggest galactic boogyman there ever was.
MOTHERFUCKING ZEPHYR PARTICLES.

:911: Oh my god I am a better person now, thank you ADTRW.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Manyorcas posted:

My friend and I just finished watching the series over the last six months.

Tea and brandy.
Broken wine glasses.
Battleaxes.
Pensions.
Oberstein being the biggest galactic boogyman there ever was.
MOTHERFUCKING ZEPHYR PARTICLES.

:911: Oh my god I am a better person now, thank you ADTRW.

Now go forth and spread the word my son.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
I have a humble request for this thread. I would like to know the episodes where Yang goes through the "Alchol is humanity's friend" speech, and the episode where the infamous What is that scene is posted,(god this series was an amazing ride).

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have a humble request for this thread. I would like to know the episodes where Yang goes through the "Alchol is humanity's friend" speech, and the episode where the infamous What is that scene is posted,(god this series was an amazing ride).

I'm pretty sure the alcohol thing is really early on since I remember him wanting some brandy in his tea and Julian not being very helpful on that end.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I just watched though first third, and I would say its somewhere in in the 30s range of episodes. It happens somet time after they take Iserlohn. Sorry I can't be more helpful

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mrking posted:

I just watched though first third, and I would say its somewhere in in the 30s range of episodes. It happens somet time after they take Iserlohn. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Yeah, julian is always harping on him, but as Yang becomes more and more instrumental a few characters mention he needs to cut down on his drinking, which had increased. Iwanna say it happens when julian goes to earth? I think it's something he tells Yang before leavings "eat good and don't drink so much while I'm gone sheesh!"

love anime drinkin woop

thalheim
Sep 7, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Yeah, julian is always harping on him, but as Yang becomes more and more instrumental a few characters mention he needs to cut down on his drinking, which had increased. Iwanna say it happens when julian goes to earth? I think it's something he tells Yang before leavings "eat good and don't drink so much while I'm gone sheesh!"

love anime drinkin woop

Close; it's before Julian goes to Phezzan. Episode 39, 15 minutes in.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

thalheim posted:

Close; it's before Julian goes to Phezzan. Episode 39, 15 minutes in.

Ah! It was something. Fucker just keeps travelin' places.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Well, up to ep 18 and I'm hopelessly hooked. This is a loving great series, and honestly should be the top of recomendations for people like me who kind of get put off by anime's monster-robot/magic-powers/creepy depcitions of young girls tendencies. Its just none of that. Its got a fantastic political subtext about the psychology of fascism and the corruption of democracy, and as a politics nut, I adore that. The fact that a horrible oval office like Reinhard von Lohengramm seems so human makes him a fantastic villain, you can actually see how he was made the way he was. Everything about this seems plausible, and thats I think why I like it.

Its still an escapist anime but its plausible, and its deeply interesting especially the historical analogies and the plausible political formations.

Fairly sure I'm going to finish first season today, which is pretty drat spergy of me, oh well.

The prussian empire references are brilliant by the way.

e: Episode 19. My god! This poo poo just gets more epic by the minute.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 13, 2011

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm not sure why it's escapist, but I also don't know what criteria you are using. It's pretty in your face about human shittiness.

But it just gets better man. IT GETS EVEN BETTER.

This is the one anime I was able to get my ex INTO. Like, not just to watch to humor me, but one she actually was into. She hated star trek, anime, lots of stuff I was into, but we got like 70 episode into this before we broke up, which is goddamn amazing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And where is the 'What is that?' scene located, again? If it's really close to the end I may not have seen it yet, although I have a vague idea of what it's referring to.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's a stupid loving scene taken out of context for no bloody reason because people are absurd.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

duck monster posted:

Well, up to ep 18 and I'm hopelessly hooked. This is a loving great series, and honestly should be the top of recomendations for people like me who kind of get put off by anime's monster-robot/magic-powers/creepy depcitions of young girls tendencies. Its just none of that. Its got a fantastic political subtext about the psychology of fascism and the corruption of democracy, and as a politics nut, I adore that. The fact that a horrible oval office like Reinhard von Lohengramm seems so human makes him a fantastic villain, you can actually see how he was made the way he was.

Reinhard isn't the villain though. He honestly intends to reform the Empire, increase equality among the social classes, do away with a lot of the ridiculous privileges that nobles have, and so on. He just doesn't believe in democracy, and as the show goes on it isn't very hard to see why.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

Reinhard isn't the villain though. He honestly intends to reform the Empire, increase equality among the social classes, do away with a lot of the ridiculous privileges that nobles have, and so on. He just doesn't believe in democracy, and as the show goes on it isn't very hard to see why.

I wouldn't say that he doesn't believe in democracy but that he knows it doesn't always lead to the best outcome. Personally, I don't think he really cares either way so long as the systems is based on a meritoracy. I think he even mentions that he's okay with a constitution.

However, he does want to be the person incharge (if only to make all the changes he wants). Whereas Yang would be happy in retirement with a government pension and a stack of books, I find it hard to believe that if the perfect society was ever established, Reinhard would be happy to let go and let someone else take control.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Reinhard is of the opinion that him ruling is the terms for an ideal society. He's unquestionably an egotist and a dictator, just a fairly amicable one with no intention of abusing or mistreating his populace.

The only time he takes advantage of people really is the unfortunate incident he ended up getting tricked into, and he haunts him the rest of his life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think the main uh, 'thesis statement' of the entire series is questioning if a benevolent and just dictator was ever better for humanity than a completely corrupt and weak democracy. Wenli often debates it and I like that ultimately the viewpoint almost seems to be that people voting a bad democracy in power is essentially self penalizing and ultimately self correcting whereas a dictatorship proves too prone to be irreversibly bad .

Anyway, spoilered it because I know a few people are just getting into it and aren't up to speed on the entire thing yet.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno if it's the main thesis so much as just an interesting philosophical point. As Yang said, and as Julian echoed, while it's certainly possible to have a benevolent and good Emperor/ King/ Kaiser, nothing guarantees that their progeny will be. Genetics is too random, and upbringing makes a huge difference.

The democracy in the FPA is abused, and even good people have trouble in it, but it's still a system that can internally change without the need for outright revolution.

Reinhard on the other hand sponsors a model of "if my children aren't fit, just violently rise up". He doesn't really care about the cost of lives involved, even if it's innocent. Which given the fact that he essentially sacrificed a whole planet of civilians for his own "revolution" and yet personally repudiated it in time, well, yeah. In the end he was fading so quickly that he stopped caring at all, really.

An interesting question then is, what direction do you think the "Kaiserine" would take? I mean, she has quite a bit of power, and those around her in the government support her wholeheartedly. You never hear her or even the Admirals around her voice too much negativity towards democracy or anything, though they are certainly pro-meritocracy. It's hard to tell. A constitution would seem inevitable I'd think, given her temperament and personality.

Also, while it's unrelated, I have to say it like I do every time: Mittermeyer's last line in the series is possibly the most depressing one in the whole series.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zorak posted:

An interesting question then is, what direction do you think the "Kaiserine" would take? I mean, she has quite a bit of power, and those around her in the government support her wholeheartedly. You never hear her or even the Admirals around her voice too much negativity towards democracy or anything, though they are certainly pro-meritocracy. It's hard to tell. A constitution would seem inevitable I'd think, given her temperament and personality.

While it's not shown, I always thought that given the 'historical documentary' nature of the series, Reinhard or Mittermeyer's son or one of their descendants ends up uniting the human empire and leading the golden age of humanity with a consitutional monarchy and the whole LOGH becomes part of their history.

I think most of Reinhard's entourage value a system of meritocracy and would support the Kaiserine on that fact but as the history shows, there's no guarantee that their children would support the same system.

I always thought that the series implied that democracy can always fail/be corrupted although there is the still that possibility that things can change or it's up to the people themselves to ensure that democracy and politics will never get to that stage whereas with a dictatorship, even a benevolent one, the option to change society is never available.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kegslayer posted:

While it's not shown, I always thought that given the 'historical documentary' nature of the series, Reinhard or Mittermeyer's son or one of their descendants ends up uniting the human empire and leading the golden age of humanity with a consitutional monarchy and the whole LOGH becomes part of their history.

I think most of Reinhard's entourage value a system of meritocracy and would support the Kaiserine on that fact but as the history shows, there's no guarantee that their children would support the same system.

I always thought that the series implied that democracy can always fail/be corrupted although there is the still that possibility that things can change or it's up to the people themselves to ensure that democracy and politics will never get to that stage whereas with a dictatorship, even a benevolent one, the option to change society is never available.

My thoughts are this: the series posits that autocracy can be the fastest, most effective way to CHANGE society. Democracy, for it's flaws, is the best way to MAINTAIN a society. In BOTH systems, it is the responsibility of the people to correct the wrongs; with autocracy it must be violent, but in democracy, the only failures are ones the people are directly responsible for.

It seemed implied, to me, that at some point the Empire would go democratic, or at least begin to move away from autocracy. But it doesn't give any assurances one way or the other.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

jonjonaug posted:

I've started on season 2 and I'm starting to realise this.

By the way, this has a loving excellent sound track EXCEPT the intro+outro songs which make me want to scape my ears out.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 15, 2011

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

LoGH's classical score is really drat good. It's not just older pieces either. It's too bad the soundtrack doesn't use the full length versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJFXqYEYd8

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Dire Penguin posted:

LoGH's classical score is really drat good. It's not just older pieces either. It's too bad the soundtrack doesn't use the full length versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogJFXqYEYd8

Yeah, I just don't like the sappy intro/outro j-ballad stuff. Some epic-rear end wagner 500 piece orchestra + cannon stuff would have been much better.

Its not that surprising a japanese anime would have this sort of score as perhaps uncommon as it is. Classical has a big history in Japan going back a good couple of hundred years. The aristocracy in japan where as fond of western classical as the westerners where, and although Japanese composers are not well known in the west, there where a few easily the peers of their western well known counterparts.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 15, 2011

The_Guy
Mar 1, 2004

Eventually they always run out of other people's tiles.

Zorak posted:

Reinhard is of the opinion that him ruling is the terms for an ideal society.

The best thing about LOGH is that he's right.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The_Guy posted:

The best thing about LOGH is that he's right.

it's just a shame he gets boneitis.

I've always thought that a benevolent and eternal dictatorship would trump pretty much any sort of democracy, but then I realized outside of robots the only eternal dictatorial figure is Jesus Christ and that's sort of a let down.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zorak posted:

I dunno if it's the main thesis so much as just an interesting philosophical point. As Yang said, and as Julian echoed, while it's certainly possible to have a benevolent and good Emperor/ King/ Kaiser, nothing guarantees that their progeny will be. Genetics is too random, and upbringing makes a huge difference.

The democracy in the FPA is abused, and even good people have trouble in it, but it's still a system that can internally change without the need for outright revolution.

Reinhard on the other hand sponsors a model of "if my children aren't fit, just violently rise up". He doesn't really care about the cost of lives involved, even if it's innocent. Which given the fact that he essentially sacrificed a whole planet of civilians for his own "revolution" and yet personally repudiated it in time, well, yeah. In the end he was fading so quickly that he stopped caring at all, really.

Also, while it's unrelated, I have to say it like I do every time: Mittermeyer's last line in the series is possibly the most depressing one in the whole series.

Ah, could you refresh my memory on Mittermeyer's last line? I can't recall it directly at this point.

I saw it as a main idea of the story because it was a concept that kept coming up often in Yang, Julian and others monologues for a good while in the series.

I felt that the series set everything up for a fairly predictable transition to a constitution based parliament ultimately yielding to a full democracy. I think the Kaiserine after seeing how fleeting the life of even the greatest leader ever was would want to establish something more systematic. It seemed fairly predictable and had at least some foreshadowing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Except that the Kaiser's son is implied to be full of just as much promise and genius as his parents. Or even more, since he'll be influenced by Yang-cadet Julian.

It's hard to transition out of a hereditary dictatorship when the guy you have right now seems like such a better ruler than a bunch of squabbling merchants and politicians would be.

Kegslayer posted:

"Golden Age" seems a little strong, but yeah, there's definitely still civilization enough to support historians, I got that impression too.

I like that things are left open. Though I was reminded a bit of of Herodotus, and the Athenians and the Spartans being all "Man, it is so great that we worked together to beat the true villains. It would be terrible if we were to turn against each other, so let's never do that!" I'm not exactly sure what analyzing the series as a text from a future culture can tell us, though, since there's not much commentary from "the historian." Maybe there's something in the events he chose to focus on, and the characters he gave to the various actors in the history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010

Breaky posted:

Ah, could you refresh my memory on Mittermeyer's last line? I can't recall it directly at this point.

Mittermeyer is holding onto his son in a courtyard and his son starts grasping for the stars in the sky. Mittermeyer notices and says "Felix, you too?".