Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

The 13" is 16:10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rabid Snake posted:

Yep, 1440x900 is a 16:10 aspect ratio.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Rabid Snake posted:

I'm dumb, I meant 16:9.

Whatever the wide one is.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

vty posted:

I'm dumb, I meant 16:9.

Whatever the wide one is.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? Everyone I know would rather have a 16:10 display/monitor for their comp.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

qbert posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? Everyone I know would rather have a 16:10 display/monitor for their comp.

I've always preferred the older wide screens. I have a 24" dell 16:9 and a new 28" 16:10 right next to it, and I for what I do, which is terminal sessions to routers constantly.. or reading forums, I feel like it's much nicer to split the windows for width than height.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

vty posted:

I've always preferred the older wide screens. I have a 24" dell 16:9 and a new 28" 16:10 right next to it, and I for what I do, which is terminal sessions to routers constantly.. or reading forums, I feel like it's much nicer to split the windows for width than height.

Except in general older screens were 16:10, newer ones are generally 16:9 (except for high end models which retain 16:10)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I bought a Crucial M4 128GB :ohdear:

I'm going to put this in my MBP as it looks like there might be stuttering issues and move the 128GB C300 in my MBP to my iMac as I have had 0 issues with that drive and swapping drives around and poo poo is MUCH easier on the MBP. Cables and all should be here next Friday wish me luck!

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
I don't care if its 9:29 or 500:2 I like the wider screens over the vertical depth. Moving on!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Argyle posted:

After much agonizing, this thread helped me decide that my new work machine will be a 13" MBA. Picking one up the minute Amazon has them back in stock.

Can't wait to retire my 1st gen Core Duo white macbook. She is not aging gracefully. You know it's bad news when you're experiencing lag in MS Word.

You could add a SSD to the old MacBook :downs:

(no seriously, enjoy the new Air, it will be amazingly kick-rear end)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Argyle posted:

Can't wait to retire my 1st gen Core Duo white macbook. She is not aging gracefully. You know it's bad news when you're experiencing lag in MS Word.

To be fair that would happen on a Mac Pro.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair that would happen on a Mac Pro.

Pretty sure even my 2011 MacBook Pro will lag in MS Word. It is a terrible program. I've forced myself to use iWork because it isn't as bad.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
At least MS Office has been getting better (even if marginally). I remember on my old blackbook, just having Entourage '04 open would cause the fans to spin up.

e: now that I think about it, that was probably because it had to use Rosetta, but still.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I have the exact same machine and agree with your assessment. I just wish AMD would put out new Boot Camp drivers. 6 months?!

Also SWTOR runs pretty well on it. :D

You can download the standard mobile drivers from AMD and install them on Windows 7 without an issue. I just updated them on my 2010 27" iMac with the 5750.

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

I returned an i5 13" for an i7 11" and don't really have any regrets. I'd definitely go for the i7 in the 11" as Anand showed you get an average of 22% increase in performance when bumping up the processor.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flyboi posted:

Pretty sure even my 2011 MacBook Pro will lag in MS Word. It is a terrible program. I've forced myself to use iWork because it isn't as bad.

What version? It was instantaneous on my brother's 2011 MBA, and it's up and running in seconds usually on my 2010 MBP w/ 5400rpm HDD. (Office 2011). Totally agree that previous versions on OS X sucked rear end though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

What version? It was instantaneous on my brother's 2011 MBA, and it's up and running in seconds usually on my 2010 MBP w/ 5400rpm HDD. (Office 2011). Totally agree that previous versions on OS X sucked rear end though.

Office 2011. It 'works' but it's a single-threaded application and it shows if you do any sort of actual intensive work in office. Typing letters will work fine but if you say need to run macros or edit massive documents any 2011 app chugs horribly.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is it not possible to connect the new ACD to my older gen MacBook Pro? I have a unibody with Mini-DisplayPort, but even though the Thunderbolt cable on the new ACD uses a Mini-DisplayPort styled connector, it won't work without me having an actual Thunderbolt port? Do I have that right?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

flyboi posted:

Office 2011. It 'works' but it's a single-threaded application

What?

Edit: I'm currently writing a book in Word (not my choice) with a template full of various published-mandated styles, and I've got Activity Monitor open on another display. I'm watching Word add and remove threads as I go about my work.

2011 13" MBA, no lag of any kind. Not sure what you're experiencing, but your diagnosis isn't the right one.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 12, 2011

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

gregday posted:

Is it not possible to connect the new ACD to my older gen MacBook Pro? I have a unibody with Mini-DisplayPort, but even though the Thunderbolt cable on the new ACD uses a Mini-DisplayPort styled connector, it won't work without me having an actual Thunderbolt port? Do I have that right?

There's an Apple Cinema Display and an Apple Thunderbolt Display, two different products. The Thunderbolt display isn't the NEW Cinema Display, as the current Cinema Display is still being sold. But yes, the Thunderbolt Display requires a Thunderbolt capable Mac.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

beefnoodle posted:

What?

Edit: I'm currently writing a book in Word (not my choice) with a template full of various published-mandated styles, and I've got Activity Monitor open on another display. I'm watching Word add and remove threads as I go about my work.

2011 13" MBA, no lag of any kind. Not sure what you're experiencing, but your diagnosis isn't the right one.

It has multiple threads but is only using one at a time, in other words it's not able to use multiple cores simultaneously.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

El Duke posted:

There's an Apple Cinema Display and an Apple Thunderbolt Display, two different products. The Thunderbolt display isn't the NEW Cinema Display, as the current Cinema Display is still being sold. But yes, the Thunderbolt Display requires a Thunderbolt capable Mac.

If I understand correctly (which hopefully I do because I put this in the monitor thread OP):

2010 ACD = friends with everyone, it's DisplayPort
2010 iMac = target display mode only with 2010 Macs (no Thunderbolt)
2011 Thunderbolt = Thunderbolt bitches :smug:
2011 iMac = Target display mode only with 2011 Macs (Thunderbolt bitches :smug:)

gregday
May 23, 2003

That clears it up, thanks. I did not realize the ACD was still available, and I assumed the Thunderbolt Display was the only display available. Didn't make sense that the current selling display wouldn't work with the current Mac Pro.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Neurophonic posted:

It has multiple threads but is only using one at a time, in other words it's not able to use multiple cores simultaneously.

That's certainly true for Excel 2011, but not Word. There was a lengthy discussion about the threading models on the Ars forums when it shipped.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's so colorful and pretty. :3:

http://www.macbookdecal.com/products/rainbow-style-macbook-air-keyboard-decal

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

*Leaves even more "key prints" on your screen!

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Well gently caress, turns out that my current job will be ending in September instead of February, like I originally thought.

Helloooo, Amazon 24-month financing...

tyang209
Feb 17, 2007
I'm trying to put some more performance back into my 2008 C2D macbook (4,1). I was thinking of replacing the HD with an SSD and possibly removing the superdrive and replacing that with a traditional hard drive? Is that possible and if so, are there any how-to guides?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm not sure where else to post this, so yeah. What do you pc building/upgrading enthusiasts do to not get rid of your macs and go back to a desktop pc? I can't really scratch the itch of wanting PC games and the ability to upgrade and change things whenever I want. I absolutely LOVE my new iMac, but it only made me want to use my pc again and really learn everything there is to learn about it inside and out. It's basically the classical vs romantic argument and I can't really find a middle ground.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tyang209 posted:

I'm trying to put some more performance back into my 2008 C2D macbook (4,1). I was thinking of replacing the HD with an SSD and possibly removing the superdrive and replacing that with a traditional hard drive? Is that possible and if so, are there any how-to guides?

Page 30, so yeah, please someone put it in the OP.

EDIT: vv Welp, looks like I'm as bad as him for not checking.

IUG fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 12, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

What do you pc building/upgrading enthusiasts do to not get rid of your macs and go back to a desktop pc?
I got tired of the noise, the cable management, and general headaches of having a Windows PC along with my Macs. I switched to an iMac and never looked back. Performance is more than adequate for every PC game, and though I still have to deal with idiotic Windows updates, antivirus, and driver updates whenever I boot into Windows 7, it's still a better experience than when I built PCs. Also I just don't game nearly as much as I did a few years ago, so it doesn't make sense for me to constantly invest in new PC hardware for a hobby I spend so little time with; especially when I already have a PS3 and Xbox 360 as well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IUG posted:

Page 30, so yeah, please someone put it in the OP.
It's already there. :jerkbag:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

tyang209 posted:

SWSP pasted my blurb in the OP but I'll be nice and answer you here anyways as I take a break from an essay.

If you've already maxed out RAM, then yes this will be a worthy upgrade that you could also carry over a newer MacBook Pro, should you decide to purchase one.

However, I don't see the Macbook (4,1) listed on OWC's website as supported for their Optibay, which leads me to believe that the other ones you'll find won't support yours at all. If you can live with the small SSD size, then go for it, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this, so yeah. What do you pc building/upgrading enthusiasts do to not get rid of your macs and go back to a desktop pc? I can't really scratch the itch of wanting PC games and the ability to upgrade and change things whenever I want. I absolutely LOVE my new iMac, but it only made me want to use my pc again and really learn everything there is to learn about it inside and out. It's basically the classical vs romantic argument and I can't really find a middle ground.

I've adopted the mobile == Mac and desktop == Windows lifestyle. I still game, develop in Visual Studio (for Windows) and just in general have a good 10+ years of habit/software ingrained in me. I have a custom-built PC, but I don't upgrade anything outside of the GPU very often (I went Core 2 Duo, then waited for Sandy Bridge, and it will likely be quite awhile before I upgrade again).

On the mobile side, the Mac just kicks rear end. Sexy and sleek, impressive sleep performance and OS X. I justify part of the cost with the ability to use XCode to write iOS/Mac apps for sale as well.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Kilometers Davis posted:

I basically tried to switch to macs and laptops a few times before, and I always went back to a custom desktop.

This time, I just don't give a gently caress. The mac just works, and I haven't turned on my desktop since I got it.

Basically, if your desktop is a hobby, you won't ever feel right about the closed offness of a Mac. If you just want your computer to loving work (like when you get old) then you'll love it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

UndyingShadow posted:

Basically, if your desktop is a hobby, you won't ever feel right about the closed offness of a Mac. If you just want your computer to loving work (like when you get old) then you'll love it.

This is my experience entirely. If you still find fiddling with your computer and ripping it apart and struggling with some horrible 3rd party driver for hours to be fun, then the Mac won't scratch that itch. If you're sick of all that just want to use the drat thing, the Mac is great.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

UndyingShadow posted:

This time, I just don't give a gently caress. The mac just works, and I haven't turned on my desktop since I got it.
This is basically what happened to me. I had a gaming PC, Mac Mini, and MBP. I realized I hadn't turned the gaming PC on in around 6 months so I sold it, my Dell U2410, and the Mac Mini and paid for a high-end 27" iMac.

If in 2 years a PC game comes along that the iMac won't run and I absolutely have to play (highly doubtful), I'll just build a cheap gaming PC and plug it into the Mini-DisplayPort on the iMac. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

This is my experience entirely. If you still find fiddling with your computer and ripping it apart and struggling with some horrible 3rd party driver for hours to be fun, then the Mac won't scratch that itch. If you're sick of all that just want to use the drat thing, the Mac is great.
I work in a lab doing black-box testing with several thousand computers, swapping components and often installing dozens of OSes a day in every flavor of Windows, Linux, and OS X that you can imagine. The last thing I want to do when I get home is have to fight with my computer. So yes, this was another reason I switched to Macs. When you work all day with computers, I just want poo poo to work.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I work in a lab doing black-box testing with several thousand computers, swapping components and often installing dozens of OSes a day in every flavor of Windows, Linux, and OS X that you can imagine. The last thing I want to do when I get home is have to fight with my computer. So yes, this was another reason I switched to Macs. When you work all day with computers, I just want poo poo to work.

Hah, poo poo, now I have a better idea of what you do based on your earlier mention about who you work for. That has to be mind-numbing, jesus. Healthy discount on drives though I bet?

I still prefer my PC on the desktop as I posted, but I have gotten tired of loving around with various parts, dealing with RMAs, etc. I got lucky with my Sandy Bridge build that the only RMA was forced due to the Cougar Point chipset bug. I guess I just really appreciate versatility on my desktop, since my interests/projects take me all over the place, and Windows still wins in that regard for me. doing audio editing one day, video the next, gaming in between, software development, it's all covered.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

If anyone wants an SSD, today's Newegg shellshocker (96GB Kingston V+100) is a great deal for Macs. Why? Because it's basically the same drive that Apple used in its SSDs last year due to its excellent TRIM-independent garbage collection.

movax posted:

That has to be mind-numbing, jesus.
Some days, yep. But it's also very low stress, in the field I want, and they're paying for me to get a degree. I actually love the job. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This actually sounds like an awesome job. What would you call this exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

This actually sounds like an awesome job. What would you call this exactly?
It's actually in the SH/SC Job Fair thread right here. We've got a few goons through that post now -- another just started this week actually. I guess you'd call it a firmware development technician.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 13, 2011