Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Is anyone going to watch QT tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Zorba the Greek posted:

Is anyone going to watch QT tonight?
I'm going to have a wank with a cheese grater. It will be considerably less painful.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Z-Magic posted:

I'm going to have a wank with a cheese grater. It will be considerably less painful.

Haha yeah but I just can't wait to see whichever right wing nutcase will start saying that the rioters should be deported or whatever the gently caress.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hell yeah i'm watching. I'm looking forward to Prescott jumping up and punching someone.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Z-Magic posted:

Im in if its not over yet, its like an itch I cant scratch, I gotta see what these fuckers are saying.

e: heh famliy values

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 11, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Who the gently caress is the old bag in the rainbow outfit?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Graviton v2 posted:

Who the gently caress is the old bag in the rainbow outfit?

Camila Batmanghelidjh. Her name has Batman in it. And it's disconcerting to see a woman who looks like spat out dolly mix seated amongst all those suits

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Paperhouse posted:

Camila Batmanghelidjh. Her name has Batman in it. And it's disconcerting to see a woman who looks like spat out dolly mix seated amongst all those suits
lol, she seems very nice, i missed the start so i was like wtf

courtasy link for anyone who wants to keep listening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/bbc_radio_five_live/listenlive

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Well, that was about as painful as I thought it'd be.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Clearly.

Lots of creatures have prime number life cycles because if there are predators that have similar life cycles then prime numbers will give you the best chance of surviving for a long time (because the smallest common multiple of a number and a prime that is not a factor of that number is the two multiplied together) whereas something like 12 year life cycles will meet up with the predators frequently if the predators have 2, 3, 4 or 6 year life cycles.

Imaginary numbers are used in loving everything in physics and are vital to our understanding of quantum mechanics, electromagnetism and electronics, optics, relativity, condensed matter physics and anything else that ever involves waves (which, due to quantum field theory and classical field theory, is when you get down to it literally all of reality).

Maybe I came on a bit strong. I'm not disputing what he said, it just sounded so absurd the way he was presenting it. The cicadas evolved to have prime number life cycles not because of some transcendent link between biology and maths, but because those that didn't have died out. Cicadas don't know about prime numbers, it's not built into them. Same with numbers and music, the music system was built so that those rules were true, because notes sound pleasing to the ear in a 2:1 frequency ratio. The human ear doesn't contain those ratios in it.

The way he described everything made it seem like something out of The Secret instead of just focusing on maths being awesome.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Zorba the Greek posted:

Well, that was about as painful as I thought it'd be.
It was worth it purely for the Dimblebot reference.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Semprini posted:

It was worth it purely for the Dimblebot reference.

That was loving amazing.

birmingha
Nov 8, 2010
salivating-daily mail-reading-ballbag on question time: 'come on prescott, all you do is quote facts and figures'

yeah. you can prove anything with facts.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Ok good, I'm glad I'm meant to be enjoying The Hour, Radio Times has been slating it (yet still making it Choice of the Day, as is their way), wasn't sure whether it was Alison Graham failing to notice brilliance again or if it was meant to be boring (The woman LOATHES The Wire yet loving LOVES Mad Men, so hard to trust her opinion).

Adrianics posted:

It's a good show. I knew one of the supporting players in secondary school and he was a complete oval office, so that's a little weird.

Please tell me this is Burn Gorman, if so tell me Everything. Otherwise I presume the kid who was filming the lightbulb?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Shooting Stars was lacking something. We never got Angelos to tell us what was in his bag (the bastard)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

incredible bear posted:

Please tell me this is Burn Gorman, if so tell me Everything. Otherwise I presume the kid who was filming the lightbulb?

Not Burn Gorman, regrettably. Guy I'm talking about plays the lead's little sidekick, and was also recently in Misfits as the guy who can teleport the gets shot in the face.

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Sorry to drag this back to kids TV but I am surprised I didnt see mention of Jeopardy, one of the best kids TV series ever.

EDIT - probably a bit harsh just to label it as 'kids' TV tbh. It was agenuinely good TV series.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fyuz posted:

Sorry to drag this back to kids TV but I am surprised I didnt see mention of Jeopardy, one of the best kids TV series ever.

EDIT - probably a bit harsh just to label it as 'kids' TV tbh. It was agenuinely good TV series.

I watched the first few episodes of that then missed one and was completely bummed. I'm agreed that it was fantastic. Is it on youtube at all?

Wonker
Apr 30, 2005

Ugh, Idris Elba is an awful TV presenter... Anyone see How Hip Hop Changed the World, which was on last night? I could literally only watch 5 minutes before switching off, annoyed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Wonker posted:

Ugh, Idris Elba is an awful TV presenter... Anyone see How Hip Hop Changed the World, which was on last night? I could literally only watch 5 minutes before switching off, annoyed.

What has happened to him? He's gone from critically acclaimed US show to crappy "best of" hosts and advert voiceovers.

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Kin posted:

What has happened to him? He's gone from critically acclaimed US show to crappy "best of" hosts and advert voiceovers.

He's also making Luther for which he's received an Emmy nomination. He DJs too and is available for corporate functions.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Steve Higginson posted:

He's also making Luther for which he's received an Emmy nomination. He DJs too and is available for corporate functions.

The Guardian asked him to write an article about the riots over the weekend (he didn't have time for a whole article, but did email them a statement). He's really in vogue right now, it seems.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Plus he probably got paid a buttload for what must have only been a days work for the hip hop program. Same for the vodafone ads, it's easy money and I don't have anything against him for that. I know i'd do the same if I was in his position.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In was in Thor, amongst other movies.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

In was in Thor, amongst other movies.

And will take part in the Ghost Rider sequel for god knows what reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kevino07 posted:

Better actors have been in worse films for :10bux:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Ghost Rider should never have been made into a film. He's an excellent character, but not for the 2 hour summer blockbuster film market.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kevino07 posted:

In the what sequel? OR: In the Ghost Rider sequel??
But yeah, he's hot property right now and he's using that to line his pockets, as well he should. Maybe in time he'll actually do something genuinely good again. (Luthor is silly)

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
The Ghost Rider "sequel" is not a sequel, rather a new Ghost Rider film that happens to still have Nic Cage in the lead role. It'll be directed by the Crank duo, so safe to say it'll be a different film.

But probably still bad.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He's also in Ridley Scott's upcoming Alien prequel thing. The guy's keeping busy, is there really anything wrong with that?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Haha, wow. Exit Through The Gift Shop is great. Loads of brilliant moments in it. Loved that Madonna fell for it so hard.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It instilled the feeling I'm more used to while on the internet: that is, the uncertainty of which would be weirder: this guy existing, or someone willing to spend so much time to create him. I mean, given that it's Banksy, I'm ready to believe it's the latter, but drat; that was an actual young Mr. Brainwash in some of the shots.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Does anyone know if there's any way to watch the 2006 BBC documentary 'The Armstrongs'? If been looking for a dvd or somewhere that streams it but I've had no luck.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Afterdark posted:

Is it the one with a big clock in a shopping centre, australian?

Oh Chirst, what was this show? Its doing my head in trying to remember the name of it!

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mr. Squishy posted:

It instilled the feeling I'm more used to while on the internet: that is, the uncertainty of which would be weirder: this guy existing, or someone willing to spend so much time to create him. I mean, given that it's Banksy, I'm ready to believe it's the latter, but drat; that was an actual young Mr. Brainwash in some of the shots.

I figured it was most likely that the 'deception' in the film occurs at the point when Banksy told him to put on a little art show. Rather than just offhand suggesting it, I suppose the two of them put their heads together to work out how to make a show that would intentionally expose these street art poseurs as being entirely undiscerning. Certainly I'd like to believe that all the rest of the film happened as shown...

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Leyburn posted:

Haha, wow. Exit Through The Gift Shop is great. Loads of brilliant moments in it. Loved that Madonna fell for it so hard.

What's funny is the Madonna cover at least makes sense. Madonna's puckered face punching through one of Pop Art's most iconic images befits her legacy as music's number 1 female.

But Mr Brainwash wouldn't see the difference between that and giving Spock some pink eyeshadow.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Better actors have been in worse films for :10bux:

You're basically talking about Ben Kingsley aren't you?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Or Michael Caine.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
That sort of thing never bothered me until recently. It's very hard to take John Malkovich discussing Harold Pinter on The Culture Show seriously when I'd seen him not 2 nights before in Jonah Hex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Or Jeremy Irons. Happens a lot really.

Daedo posted:

Oh Chirst, what was this show? Its doing my head in trying to remember the name of it!

I think it was Finders Keepers. No idea that made it over there (I'm Australian).

Speaking shows from 20+ years ago, I loved all of Tony Robinson's story telling stuff when I was growing up. Fat Tulip was great, as was his one-man version of Odysseus.