Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I think they're talking about an extra roll sitting out. Covers are an old lady thing I think, both of my grandmas growing up had crocheted extra roll covers.

Not that any of that makes it any better when you just saw some fat poopsocker stuffing his foodhole with a hot pocket and imitating movie-speech telling the old guy who could probably kick his rear end to "Respect. The roll.".

edit: And the lady is somehow an unfunnier low-rent version of that sitcom from a long time ago lady I couldn't stand. This, at&t unlimited minutes and yoplait have been some of the more horrible ones posted recently.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYt3Pc0V5zc
So, I dunno, is it the hip new thing to advertise in a threatening manner to children nowadays?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Do people not just keep their extra rolls of toilet paper under the sink :confused:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
So Old Navy took "Let's talk about Sex" from Salt n Pepa and made it into "Let's talk about jeans".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv2in866rM

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Steak Justice posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYt3Pc0V5zc
So, I dunno, is it the hip new thing to advertise in a threatening manner to children nowadays?

Nope. Capri Sun has been doing threatening kids with murder or wishing to the Cornfield as part of their "Respect The Pouch" campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SesasYdKVI

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Anybody actually know someone in television advertising?

Are they the most unfunny, douche-chill inducing moron you know, or what?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haerc posted:

Anybody actually know someone in television advertising?

Are they the most unfunny, douche-chill inducing moron you know, or what?

I sold radio airtime for 3 years and did some of the script writing every so often. What you kind of have to know is there's a lot of "me too!"-ism and mimicry in advertising, and eventually every idea is going to get run into the ground. This makes coming up with something original pretty brutal, especially for smaller companies who might not have a big advertising budget.

Ad agencies can either really help or really exacerbate the problem. They all know what works and have shitloads of data from various focus groups, etc. What you hope for is them being able to find a way to make your company/product unique, or you get the same cookie-cutter generic ad, they take their fee (usually pretty big) and vanish.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!
There's a Walgreens commercial where a lady says something about being weighed, but for the life of me I always hear it like she's saying "I really should have taken my shoes off before I got laid." :quagmire:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Do people not just keep their extra rolls of toilet paper under the sink :confused:

The bathroom in my apartment is hosed up because the toilet paper holder is mounted in such a way that I would have to reach back to my left and down about a foot, so I keep the TP on top of the tank and the extra rolls under the sink.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

There's a Walgreens commercial where a lady says something about being weighed, but for the life of me I always hear it like she's saying "I really should have taken my shoes off before I got laid." :quagmire:

Similarly, there's a commercial for...I dunno, something, where a guy's interviewing a lady, and he asks "Why should I hire you?" or something similar. And the woman replies "Well, I'm your wife" but I swear it sounds like she says "Well, I'm white!"

Did a double take first time I saw that one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mister Kingdom posted:

The bathroom in my apartment is hosed up because the toilet paper holder is mounted in such a way that I would have to reach back to my left and down about a foot, so I keep the TP on top of the tank and the extra rolls under the sink.

I keep mine in an old CD spindle, because my cat likes to sit on the toilet and unroll or shred them, depending on which way I load it. I did have someone over once who decided that it needed to be back on the holder, she wasn't invited back.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I always keep an extra roll on the tank in case the roll on the holder runs out and I still need TP.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
When that happens I just authorize "Operation: Emergency rear end Wash" and take a bath or something.

Anyway, I'm certain it's been mentioned in the thread already, but I hated the bing.com commercials when they came out. Occasionally they still run, but they reminded me of the Dyson vacuum cleaner: probably a good product, but purports to solve a problem that basically doesn't exist. (I've used a few vacuum cleaners over the years, and none have ever "lost suction" or some such tripe.) The whole "search overload" poo poo with bing was dumb, as I mean, type in cellphone into google and you'll get a bunch of links about cellphones and cellphone companies; not Alexander Graham Bell, or graham crackers, or derogatory terms to call white people, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dyson vacuums are the poo poo and I rolled my eyes at that dude's commercials too until I actually bought one. It was light years better than the cheapo one I had since college.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Dyson vacuums are the poo poo and I rolled my eyes at that dude's commercials too until I actually bought one. It was light years better than the cheapo one I had since college.

I'm certain it's a nice vacuum, just as I'm certain bing is a nice search engine. I am also certain that the cost of all the Hoovers I've bought and yet to buy won't add up to the cost of a single Dyson.

Dyson also makes a "bladeless fan" which is really loving cool, I admit, but is also bullshit, as it's not actually "bladeless": it has a bladed fan in the base, and forces the air it generates through a funky, aerodynamic ring which "multiplies" it or something. I'm not 100% on the science, and yeah, it's cool as poo poo. It's also $300! I'll just open the window, thanks Sir James Dyson.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I've never had luck with bagless vacs. The problem they describe in the commercial with the filter getting clogged and losing suction is spot on. Rather than buy a Dyson, I bought a reconditioned bag upright on the cheap and have been happy with it ever since.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sizzlechest posted:

I've never had luck with bagless vacs. The problem they describe in the commercial with the filter getting clogged and losing suction is spot on. Rather than buy a Dyson, I bought a reconditioned bag upright on the cheap and have been happy with it ever since.

I got a Bissell bagless for about $70 and it does a pretty decent job considering how much cat hair it has to suck up. I just take it apart after each use and clean all the parts.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got a Bissell bagless for about $70 and it does a pretty decent job considering how much cat hair it has to suck up. I just take it apart after each use and clean all the parts.

Yeah, that's the point. I don't have to take anything apart and clean it. I just use my vac. When the bag is full I throw it away. No cleaning necessary.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

just as powerful

This is the absolute truth. We have a Dyson Animal (made for pet hair) and it DESTROYS anything else I've ever owned. The amount of hair it sucks up is incredible, and despite looking completely full in the tank, it's just as powerful when full as empty. It's pretty drat awesome, I must say.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Adrian Monk uses a Dyson in Monk, so if it's good enough for him, it's a good loving vacuum cleaner :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I live in an old house with a wall-mounted sink that has no cabinet, so no. I do have a little cubby that I sometimes put rolls in, but usually I'm pretty good about just fetching a new roll from the hall closet after the old one runs out (I've never encountered the problem of running out of TP halfway through taking a poo poo, what are you people eating?).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

aquatic sideshow posted:

Pretty soon yogurt and cleaning supplies commercials are just going to have the smart, hot wife and dumb, chubby husband just completely beating the poo poo out of each other with baseball bats.

So, Punch and Judy with product placement?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Adrian Monk uses a Dyson in Monk, so if it's good enough for him, it's a good loving vacuum cleaner :colbert:

hahahahaha :golfclap:

Also why are you parents covering up your fiber cereal? If the kid doesn't want it then he doesn't get breakfast.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sizzlechest posted:

The next vacuum I buy will actually be an industiral backpack similar to this one:
http://www.thinkvacuums.com/dustcarebp.htm

Backpacks are the best vacuums, because you don't have to push or pull them. That and you get to pretend you're a ghetto Ghostbuster :3:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

Also why are you parents covering up your fiber cereal? If the kid doesn't want it then he doesn't get breakfast.

Kids have to be coddled this way because it's a crime and child abuse if they don't like what you serve them for food. I hate this generation.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

LASTCAR posted:

The worst ads I see are run during NASCAR races. The worst ads are the kind that repeat things over and over, such as Wal-Mart's "Match It" ad and, a couple months ago, TNT's talking basketball sketches they did for the NBA Finals.

Over on YouTube, I do commercial mash-ups of the worst of the worst. Here's this year's crop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTDLDzLqWAQ

After "make the monsters go away" was that a Sportscenter commercial?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Not a TV ad, but these god-cursed "CA-RA-MEL MO-CHA" radio commercials from Dunkin' Donuts are driving me to distraction. Not only is it so, so incredibly annoying to listen to, but... oh, what's that you say? Coffee, chocolate and caramel TOGETHER? Why, it's almost as if that's a really loving obvious idea and almost every coffee shop already offers it and has for countless years now!

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

showbiz_liz posted:

Not a TV ad, but these god-cursed "CA-RA-MEL MO-CHA" radio commercials from Dunkin' Donuts are driving me to distraction. Not only is it so, so incredibly annoying to listen to, but... oh, what's that you say? Coffee, chocolate and caramel TOGETHER? Why, it's almost as if that's a really loving obvious idea and almost every coffee shop already offers it and has for countless years now!

The worst part was having to watch/listen to these ads while living almost 1000 miles from the nearest DD. DD coffee is the best large-chain coffee out there, and drat if those ads didn't make me miss it. As annoying as they were.

At least Sonic has mostly expanded into the entire country. Nothing better than watching ads for things you have to take a massive road trip to get to. Harold and Kumar only had to make a 45 minute drive. Imagine trying to road trip to a Sonic 6 hours away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Dunkin Donuts just had an IPO to help fund a nationwide expansion, they might be coming sooner than you think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's an interesting bit of advertising history I learned recently, in 1970 Sid and Marty Krofft (HR Pufnstuf, Lidsville and many other weird and trippy kids shows) were able to successfully sue McDonalds for their "McDonaldland" (you know, Mayor McCheese, Grimace, the Fry Kids and such) campaign. Turns out the Kroffts were approached by an ad company that told them they were working to join up with McDonalds to create a campaign based on Pufnstuf characters. Later the company told them that the deal fell through. So imagine Sid & Marty's surprise when they find out that whoops, McDonalds went ahead anyway and just altered the designs slightly to make them fast food themed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jess I don't give a gently caress if you're making my pizza.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Here's an interesting bit of advertising history I learned recently, in 1970 Sid and Marty Krofft (HR Pufnstuf, Lidsville and many other weird and trippy kids shows) were able to successfully sue McDonalds for their "McDonaldland" (you know, Mayor McCheese, Grimace, the Fry Kids and such) campaign. Turns out the Kroffts were approached by an ad company that told them they were working to join up with McDonalds to create a campaign based on Pufnstuf characters. Later the company told them that the deal fell through. So imagine Sid & Marty's surprise when they find out that whoops, McDonalds went ahead anyway and just altered the designs slightly to make them fast food themed.
This is really interesting. When I was a kid those characters were a huge deal at McDs (loved the Hamburgler) and I always wondered why they went away.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

smg77 posted:

This is really interesting. When I was a kid those characters were a huge deal at McDs (loved the Hamburgler) and I always wondered why they went away.

I think those characters went away because of the link between childhood obesity and places like McDonald's catering to said kids with colorful characters kids love. Hell, even Burger King once ruled a kingdom of characters in the 70s and 80s like Sir-Shake-A-Lot and The Duke of Doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JRTgVghO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrH-puJ_cY

I only really vaguely [almost don't] remember the BK characters, but the McDonald's down the street from my folk's house had a full playground of McD's characters. The best was a giant Mayor McCheese you could climb and sit in his head made entirely out of metal with hard-packed sand below; none of that plastic and bouncy ground with wood chips poo poo kids have today :corsair:

To get on topic, why is Taco Bell using The Flying Lizards' "Money (That's What I Want)" in their newest ad? I get that they want to because of the repeated lyric "that's what I want," but whenever I see this commercial, all I can think of is Taco Bell wanting my money.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

You Are A Elf posted:

To get on topic, why is Taco Bell using The Flying Lizards' "Money (That's What I Want)" in their newest ad? I get that they want to because of the repeated lyric "that's what I want," but whenever I see this commercial, all I can think of is Taco Bell wanting my money.

Pretty sure you just answered your own question here, chief :v:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

DJExile posted:

The best part about all these ads is that it's not like kids that age even have a concept of what fiber is or have been around long enough to taste a lovely fiber enriched cereal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

AA is for Quitters posted:

The worst part was having to watch/listen to these ads while living almost 1000 miles from the nearest DD. DD coffee is the best large-chain coffee out there, and drat if those ads didn't make me miss it. As annoying as they were.

At least Sonic has mostly expanded into the entire country. Nothing better than watching ads for things you have to take a massive road trip to get to. Harold and Kumar only had to make a 45 minute drive. Imagine trying to road trip to a Sonic 6 hours away.

On a related point, I'm glad they quit showing national Jack in the Box ads.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DJExile posted:

It's just that same stupid concept of "kids naturally hate healthy stuff - hide it! :byodame: " Like those godawful Chef Boyardee commercials with the mom banging on pots and pans so her kids don't find it has vegetables in it. Of course these commercials completely gloss over the fact that kids pick up a lot of preconceptions like that from their parents in the first place.

To contribute, I can tolerate most commercials but the whole Arby's "Good Mood Food" songs are going to kill me. They're one of the few commercials that will make me change the channel immediately on sight.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Young Freud posted:

Nope. Capri Sun has been doing threatening kids with murder or wishing to the Cornfield as part of their "Respect The Pouch" campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SesasYdKVI

these are some of the most surreal ads ever. "gently caress with our pouch and your life will be ruined worse than the kids in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, you little shits."

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

GoPro has been playing an ad with a dubsteb track. It's by far the most annoying and loud commercial. I hate it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Old Navy has some terrible ads all the time, but their latest round of song parody ads are terrible.

And this one in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv2in866rM
What. The. gently caress.