Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, Chrome used the standard MacOS "full screen" UI icon, but they implemented their own fullscreen routine which was just confusing. They removed it and I guess now they implemented it properly.
I wonder if Firefox has any plans on implementing this. They don't seem terribly fond of taking advantage of platform-specific UI features. I would also love if there was a way to have different tabs show up in App Expose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

brc64 posted:

I wonder if Firefox has any plans on implementing this. They don't seem terribly fond of taking advantage of platform-specific UI features.
Seems like more of a Camino thing, but that's soon to be dead, so...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

brc64 posted:

I wonder if Firefox has any plans on implementing this. They don't seem terribly fond of taking advantage of platform-specific UI features. I would also love if there was a way to have different tabs show up in App Expose.

You could try to hack it in yourself. I posted the instructions were posted way back i the thread, or there's an app that supposedly enables fullscreen for all apps, but I just prefer to hack it in myself. No idea if it'll work with FF though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There was a build of Firefox (I think... it's been a while, and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore) that supported Windows 7's taskbar preview for each tab. Mouse over the taskbar icon, get a preview of each tab. Click the preview, go directly to that tab. It may have been in a beta version, or some custom build somebody hacked together... but like I said, it doesn't really seem like they care for OS-specific UI things.

I just want to stick Safari, Firefox and Chrome in a big blender and have the perfect browser.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

brc64 posted:

There was a build of Firefox (I think... it's been a while, and it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore) that supported Windows 7's taskbar preview for each tab. Mouse over the taskbar icon, get a preview of each tab. Click the preview, go directly to that tab. It may have been in a beta version, or some custom build somebody hacked together... but like I said, it doesn't really seem like they care for OS-specific UI things.

The Firefox 6 beta does that on Windows 7, but not all the time for some reason.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Perian 1.2.3 upgrade won't install properly on Lion. System Preferences gives me an error that it can't install (null) preference panes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wdarkk posted:

The Perian 1.2.3 upgrade won't install properly on Lion. System Preferences gives me an error that it can't install (null) preference panes.
This bug is hilarious.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

This bug is hilarious.

Fun fact: gbooker is the creepiest sperglord I've ever encountered in the wild.

e: There's an amazing post on Cocoaforge that I can't dig up where he flips out on a user for daring to show that he thinks he knows better than the devs by changing a compiler flag in Xcode.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 12, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I stopped using Perian or VLC after I found Movist. It plays practically everything and it has a nice UI.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Any idea what would cause my 2011 MBA (not that that should matter) running Lion to start suddenly doing this when I try to type a Z? I haven't made any preference changes, that I know of, and it's happening in Safari forms, text documents and the like.

I kind of rolled my eyes when I first ran into this change but when my girlfriend (who primarily uses an iPad and almost never touches OS X) tried to type an email on my macbook air in French, she instinctively held down the key and was pleasantly surprised when it worked that way.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the iOS features in Lion but it's pretty cool seeing those little touches actually work intuitively with a casual user.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I have a stupid question from a non-mac person who's somehow been drafted into tech support for his girlfriend's macbook despite last touching a mac in the late 90s.

Is there a way, on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro, running Snow Leopard, and connected to a TV via Minidisplayport>HDMI, to run the computer with the lid closed? If there is, I can't find it. If there's not, I can tell her "there's not" and she'll accept that.

As a second stupid question, what it the best way, on the same computer, to get multiple smallish video files (avi or mpg format primarily, but an "any format" solution would be cool) onto a DVD, preferably with a menu? Is there a way to compress the files so they'll all fit onto a single disc even though they're technically "too big"? In Windows, I'd use ConvertXtoDVD and just drag all the files over, press "burn", click through the warning about reduced quality, and be fine, but gently caress if I can figure it out on the Mac. Since it's not me using it but the girlfriend, the simplest possible free solution would be ideal.

I'm sorry, these things are probably super obvious to anyone familiar with OSX, but I really can't figure them out.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

AlphaDog posted:

I'm sorry, these things are probably super obvious to anyone familiar with OSX, but I really can't figure them out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

Or you can just hold down the brightness down key until the screen turns off, and mirror the display to avoid getting your mouse on the wrong display. In displays->arrangement, drag the menu bar icon from one display to the other to change the primary display.

iDVD will do this for you, but you may not have it because it's recently been discontinued. There are probably other programs to do this, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

chimz posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3131

Or you can just hold down the brightness down key until the screen turns off, and mirror the display to avoid getting your mouse on the wrong display. In displays->arrangement, drag the menu bar icon from one display to the other to change the primary display.

iDVD will do this for you, but you may not have it because it's recently been discontinued. There are probably other programs to do this, but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Hey, cool. Thanks! I take it that you can still run in closed clamshell mode with no keyboard/mouse attached though? We're using that logitech app that turns your iphone into a wireless mouse/keyboard.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

AlphaDog posted:

Hey, cool. Thanks! I take it that you can still run in closed clamshell mode with no keyboard/mouse attached though? We're using that logitech app that turns your iphone into a wireless mouse/keyboard.

No, I think you need a KB/Mouse and power for it to wake up. You have to actually close the lid, let it sleep, then wake it with the keyboard. (In SL. Lion just works.) You can try with the Logitech thing, it might work. (Especially if it's a USB gizmo...)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I think InsomniaX is what people use to run with the lid closed.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oddx posted:

I kind of rolled my eyes when I first ran into this change but when my girlfriend (who primarily uses an iPad and almost never touches OS X) tried to type an email on my macbook air in French, she instinctively held down the key and was pleasantly surprised when it worked that way.

I was the same way. I thought it was dumb, but then I realized that it's so nice to be able to type French without reaching over to some option-key combination. I love it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks everyone.

No, the logitech thing is a server program that sits on your PC or mac, and an iphone app. You start the server then connect with the iphone over your wireless network, and remote control the laptop. Touchmouse, it's called. So I guess it's not going to wake anything up.

I'll look into InsomniaX. Anything to let the macbook just run with the lid shut would be ideal, it doesn't have to do anything than disable the "sleep when the lid closes" behavior.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Anyone else notice this lion bug? When I have full screen apps running (safari, iTunes), and quit a program on my primary desktop (say, word) it automatically moves me to full screen safari. It's driving me crazy, every time I quit an app it moves me off of my primary desktop even though I have multiple other things running there (powerpoint, stata, etc).

I don't recall any other version of OSX since I started with 10.3 shipping with so many bugs. I'm sure everyone else is enjoying the wifi bug. How do you break that??

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

ndrake posted:

I don't recall any other version of OSX since I started with 10.3 shipping with so many bugs.

I haven't encountered either of these bugs (or any others, for that matter), but I also did a clean install. I wonder if some of these bugs are related to upgrade issues.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ndrake posted:

Anyone else notice this lion bug? When I have full screen apps running (safari, iTunes), and quit a program on my primary desktop (say, word) it automatically moves me to full screen safari. It's driving me crazy, every time I quit an app it moves me off of my primary desktop even though I have multiple other things running there (powerpoint, stata, etc).

I don't recall any other version of OSX since I started with 10.3 shipping with so many bugs. I'm sure everyone else is enjoying the wifi bug. How do you break that??
Yeah, not experiencing either of these bugs.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

rckstar79 posted:

I haven't encountered either of these bugs (or any others, for that matter), but I also did a clean install. I wonder if some of these bugs are related to upgrade issues.

This is on a new macbook air that came with lion. The wifi bug is pretty widely described - basically when you wake the computer it sucks at finding a known connection and you often have to choose it yourself.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

ndrake posted:

Wifi bug? I'm not having any of these issues.

Edit: ^ Yeah, I'm not seeing that problem at all. Wifi is working like a champ, even with WPA2 Enterprise.

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 12, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ndrake posted:

This is on a new macbook air that came with lion. The wifi bug is pretty widely described - basically when you wake the computer it sucks at finding a known connection and you often have to choose it yourself.

I did see this once, but it never occurred to me that it was a Lion bug since it had worked fine every time before and since then.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

I did see this once, but it never occurred to me that it was a Lion bug since it had worked fine every time before and since then.

I'm jealous. I'm on macbook air connecting to an airport express (apple gets all my money) and when the computer wakes up it only finds my network 20% of the time. My mbp with snow leopard has no troubles.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

ndrake posted:

I'm jealous. I'm on macbook air connecting to an airport express (apple gets all my money) and when the computer wakes up it only finds my network 20% of the time. My mbp with snow leopard has no troubles.
Perhaps it's a problem with your Air's wifi connection?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ndrake posted:

I actually stopped having this issue when I upgraded to Lion.

e: I think it was a Keychain permissions issue, so try that.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 12, 2011

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Luckily I haven't had the WiFi problem. I have had two fairly annoying bugs, though. One is that Time Machine is trying every time to back up a ton of unnecessary files--it's doing 150,000 files (on both the first and second passes), even though it's only a few thousand max that have really changed. For now I've given up on Time Machine and I'm just using SuperDuper for backups. (I can rebuild the machine from scratch pretty easily since everything is in Dropbox, so the backup would really just be a timesaver if anything.)

The other is that connecting a Bluetooth audio device is very unreliable. It takes several tries and sometimes doesn't work even then.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ndrake posted:

Just so you're not thinking you're crazy this happens all the time on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro. I also have an AEBS and I get a connection back from sleep about 20% of the time. It also happens on my 2009 iMac, although less frequently.

I also have a 50/50 shot of my MBP not waking up from sleep, so I seem to have a few of the worst bugs some people are talking about :(

geera
May 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Just so you're not thinking you're crazy this happens all the time on my Mid 2010 Macbook Pro.
Same for me on my late-2008 Macbook. I'd say it's about 50/50 whether it will connect when I wake it up or not (I use a TimeCapsule as my access point). Last night I had to disable and re-enable wireless before it would connect.

Never had that problem once with Snow Leopard.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I'm on Snow Leopard, and I have had the problem with WiFi connections. Only happened when I used an Apple AEBS as my router. I moved providers to uVerse a few months ago and ditched my AEBS to use the AT&T router and haven't had the problem since.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

ndrake posted:

My boss and I both have this issue. His screen does not turn on until everything is 'ready', and mine turns on but has to wait 5-10 seconds for the Wi-FI comes on, with both WPA2 and WPA2 Enterprise.

Edit: mine also 'loses' the DNS so anything local still works via IP, but I have to turn airport on and off again or restart to get my DNS back. I also had DNS issues on a brand new 27" iMac with it's special build of Snow Leopard. Installing Lion on it fixed it.

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 12, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ndrake posted:

I have had my new MBA for almost a week now and have hopped between a couple of access points, but I haven't run into anything like that yet. In fact, I've been pretty impressed by how quickly it connects/reconnects compared the Vista laptop I used to have.

I will say that I've had a couple of times where I've had to reboot due to weird poo poo happening, though, and I haven't even had this thing for a week. The most recent one was yesterday, where it stopped registering clicks (but multitouch swipe actions and the keyboard worked fine). I quit all my running applications and even restarted Finder, but it was no good. Ultimately had to reboot.

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I wonder if the WiFi thing is related to the slow restore from hibernate?

The Airs have a thing where they go from regular sleep to full hibernate after 70 minutes (if not plugged in). Waking up from this state is super slow. It pages all your stuff out to disk as much as possible, so even after it wakes bringing each app back up is slow.

There's more info about this in 'man pmset'. I turned it off by doing:

code:
pmset -a standby 0
I don't see why you would want this in the first place. It saves a tiny amount of battery power, which is only going to be relevant if you leave the machine asleep for days or something, and then expect to use it without plugging it in. I would virtually never run into this scenario, so it's better turned off.

The other weird thing about it is that it actually makes the wakeup much slower on the Air in most cases, contrary to the advertising about how it wakes up so quickly.

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

brc64 posted:

Tangent: How do you "click" a button in a dialog box that isn't the default button? I can tab between them, and highlight one, but pressing Enter seems to just hit the default button. In Windows, I'd use space to press the selected button, but that didn't work for me yesterday.

On Snow Leopard, I seem to recall being able to hit Command+[First Letter of the Button], but that doesn't work on every dialog box.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What? Boo...

Looking at their blog and I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it's not entirely dead in the water yet.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

AlphaDog posted:

Yes, you can run in clamshell mode. Close the lid and let the computer sleep, then plug in your adapter. Done
Edit: this is how it works on my MBP, anyway

decypher fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 12, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

IUG posted:

What? Boo...

Looking at their blog and I'm not sure exactly what it means, but it's not entirely dead in the water yet.

I'd been wondering what was going on with Camino. I've been using it on my PowerBook for years, but it feels a little dated on my new MBP next to Safari and Chrome. I tried the 2.1 alpha when it first came out, which helped matters a bit but felt a little unpolished for day to day use (to be expected of an alpha, of course). I'm going to give the beta a go and see how it's progressing. Camino's a neat little browser - I hope it's not going to be completely abandoned.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Got the bottom hard drive cable for my Mini today, and I should have my SSD tomorrow. (Went with a 120GB OWC Electra 6G.)

I'll be moving my 500GB drive into the second spot and putting the SSD in the first slot, then installing Lion on it. I'm not sure how I'm going to transfer my user account, though. Will Migration Assistant pick up on the install on the second drive and let me migrate from there? I'll need to keep my iTunes and Aperture libraries on the 500GB drive, but the OS, applications, and the rest of my user directory should fit fine on the SSD.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Been building printer scripts for our students here. Interesting change from 10.6 to 10.7 -- when needing to authenticate against a shared Windows printer (on a domain, in our case) in 10.6, you had to use the "DOMAIN\username" format for the username. In 10.7, now samba-less, it uses the domain your authenticating against -- so you use "username" (no domain prefix or @<domain> stuff) as your username.

Better, but had me pulling out my hair for a while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I asked about this in the hardware thread, but maybe it's more of a software question, I don't know. What does everybody think of the Time Capsule? Specifically, is Time Machine poo poo, awesome, or merely okay? And how much flexibility is there when configuring the wireless? Is it pretty barebones, or do they have some advanced options like static dhcp leases and port forwarding?