Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010

Speewah posted:

Quick question that someone in here may be able to answer. There is a electronic/dj bloke whos name escapes me, but it was similiar to R2D2. Anybody have any ideas? It's just not coming to me.

That'd be RJD2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Neeb posted:

That'd be RJD2

Cheers mate, that was exactly what I was chasing.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback?

Okay, not.
How do I Radiohead properly?

I say start with The Bends and move chronologically. By the time you get to Kid A/Amnesiac you will be very confused.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

screenwritersblues posted:

I'm a decent Bob Dylan fan, I have stuff like Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks, a bunch of the bootleg series and a bunch of other albums from him. I want to get more, but have no clue which ones would be considered to be essential. I'm thinking that Blonde on Blonde is one of them, but what else is considered to be essential?

Before The Flood, the live album with The Band is really good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I want to go on a trip through the chanson française, Brassens in the first place, but also Ferré, Aznavour and Gainsbourg (I'm already familiar with Brel and Piaf). What are some good recordings to start from?

TadGhostal
May 10, 2002

Moltar, get me Lassie so I can raise money for retardos.
Where would I start with TV On The Radio? Is it as simple as just getting the first album?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

TadGhostal posted:

Where would I start with TV On The Radio? Is it as simple as just getting the first album?

I'd actually start with Return to Cookie Mountain, their second album. I love Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes, but it is much more raw, and probably a little more hit and miss in some of the experiments.

Dear Science, the third album, is also probably not a bad starting point either. I'm not going to debate whether it was a step in the wrong direction from the first two - some people really love it, some found it lackluster compared to the first two. All three of the albums are good, though, so I don't think you can really start out wrong with them.

I haven't really listened to the new album yet, so I can't comment on that one.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 2, 2011

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Where do I start with Bjork, The greatest hits or just work my way through the proper albums from "Debut" onwards?

Also, inspired by "Watch The Throne" Do I just start at the beginning with Jay-z?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback?

Okay, not.
How do I Radiohead properly?

the Bunt posted:

I say start with The Bends and move chronologically. By the time you get to Kid A/Amnesiac you will be very confused.

There are other ways to get into Radiohead in that they've produced reasonably accessible albums more recently than Kid A. This right here, however, is the right way to get into Radiohead.

TadGhostal posted:

Most people I know got into them through Return to Cookie Mountain, I got into them through Dear Science and have as a result always been the only person in my group who prefers it to the former. The new album has a couple of good tracks but is overall pretty weak.

Anime_Otaku posted:

Also, inspired by "Watch The Throne" Do I just start at the beginning with Jay-z?

Most people seem to name Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint (the original one, not the sequels) as the two absolutely essential Jay-Z albums, though The Black Album (which was intended to be his last album) is good too.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

NihilCredo posted:

I want to go on a trip through the chanson française, Brassens in the first place, but also Ferré, Aznavour and Gainsbourg (I'm already familiar with Brel and Piaf). What are some good recordings to start from?

Ferré's "Amour Anarchie" is loving amazing. I'm less into Brassens, but that's probably because I don't speak French and his music is quite low-key. I have a bunch of comps, wouldn't pick a fav just make sure it has La mala reputación (whatever the original title is, I'm more familiar with Paco Ibanez's Spanish version...). Aznavour always struck me as dull, so nothing to say there. For Gainsbour's proper chanson period, the Confidentiel compilation and "Du chant à la une!" are solid picks. Then you might as well proceed chronologically from there until you get bored, it's all good.

Programmable Soda
Aug 8, 2008

Anime_Otaku posted:

Where do I start with Bjork, The greatest hits or just work my way through the proper albums from "Debut" onwards?

Homogenic, definitely. Then, you can either go back to Post and Debut or keep going with the absolutely gorgeous Vespertine.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Anime_Otaku posted:

While Debut is pretty good, Post is about the best introduction to her you're likely to get.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Suicide Watch posted:

Nickelback

The State, then do what I did and pretend they died in 2000 and never released another album and tragically became a short lived good Canadian rock band.

The second worst thing to happen on 9/11 was Nickelback releasing Silver Side Up and becoming the Nickelback we all know and loving hate today.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I have completely fallen back in love with The Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity. Sadly with the exception of a couple of songs on Miss Machine I have been considerably less than impressed with anything else in their catalog. Can anyone recommend Bands/Albums along the same lines? and yes, I know about Botch's We are the Romans. Thanks in advance. :D

The Bacon God
Oct 20, 2007

Himmelschreibende
Herzen

sky-writing hearts
Where should one start with Whitehouse or Merzbow or power electronics in general? I'm also looking for a way into Half Japanese, and Jad Fair's solo work.

The Bacon God fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 13, 2011

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ras Het posted:

Ferré's "Amour Anarchie" is loving amazing. I'm less into Brassens, but that's probably because I don't speak French and his music is quite low-key. I have a bunch of comps, wouldn't pick a fav just make sure it has La mala reputación (whatever the original title is, I'm more familiar with Paco Ibanez's Spanish version...). Aznavour always struck me as dull, so nothing to say there. For Gainsbour's proper chanson period, the Confidentiel compilation and "Du chant à la une!" are solid picks. Then you might as well proceed chronologically from there until you get bored, it's all good.

Thank you. Moving on it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

WeaponX posted:

Electric Light Orchestra?

ELO's career is split into three distinct eras:

Prog rock:

Electric Light Orchestra (a.k.a "No Answer")
ELO II
On the Third Day
Eldorado - A Symphony by the Electric Light Orchestra

Radio friendly:

Face the Music
A New World Record
Out of the Blue
Discovery

Contractual obligation trilogy:

Time
Secret Messages
Balance of Power

The first album is an oddity because of Roy Wood. He had invited Jeff Lynne to join The Move just so he could form ELO. Wood and Lynne and some disagreements about the band's direction so Wood left to form Wizzard and Lynne carried on and ultimately took complete control of ELO. "10538 Overture" was described as "taking over where "I Am the Walrus" left off" and the Beatles' influence is obvious. John Lennon even called ELO the "Son of the Beatles" and suggested that, had the Beatles stayed together, they'd eventually end up sounding like ELO.

So, if you like heavily orchestrated, lengthy tunes, listen to the first four albums.

If you like shorter, but lushly produced tunes, listen to the middle four, especially A New World Record and Out of the Blue (which is my all time favorite album by anybody).

There's an interview with Lynne on the Zoom Live DVD, where Lynne talks about the last three albums being written because he owed CBS three more albums. He seems to not care for these albums, but they all have some great tunes.

Time is a great sci-fi concept album which seems to get better with age.

Secret Messages was supposed to be a double-album, but the then-oil-crisis forced Lynne to carve it down to a single disc (although all the tunes that were cut have since appeared on CD in some form or another, except "Beatles Forever" (which can be found on You Tune as an audio track)). The album is a mix of rock and pop.

Balance of Power is the weakest of the three, but did have a couple of minor hits ("Calling America" and "So Serious").

If I had to narrow it down, I'd say:

Electric Light Orchestra
A New World Record
Out of the Blue
Time

I didn't mention Zoom because it's awful. You'd be better off listening to Lynne's solo album, Armchair Theater.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I was following a chain of links regarding The Mountain Goats when I found out about superchunk. I liked the song digging for something which I saw the video for today. I then found out they have been around since 1989 and have released a lot of albums. Where do I start.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

I posted a similar response earlier in the thread when someone asked about Superchunk but everyone should start with No Pocky For Kitty. It's their second album and also their best. The self-titled is OK but it's not worth much outside of the single, Slack Motherfucker, which is on their first singles collection, Tossing Seeds.

As the band got older, albums got slower (usually the case) but pretty much everything they've released is at the very least listenable, though none are as good as No Pocky For Kitty. The song you're talking about is on their latest album which is alright. If you're turned off by the speedy, punk influenced indie rock found on their earlier releases for whatever reason, maybe try something from the middle of their career, like Foolish.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2011

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Behold! A Elk! posted:

I was following a chain of links regarding The Mountain Goats when I found out about superchunk. I liked the song digging for something which I saw the video for today. I then found out they have been around since 1989 and have released a lot of albums. Where do I start.

I asked the same thing and was told to start with No Pocky for Kitty, their second album. I found that to be a great starting point, though pretty much every single one of Superchunk's albums are varying degrees of awesome.

e: their last album, Majesty Shredding, is also really good. You can probably go pretty much anywhere after No Pocky.

LtTennisBall fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 14, 2011

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
Thanks, I just got majesty shredding cause it has the song I liked and no pocky. No pocky is pretty awesome I am playing it right now. Superthanks!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Just to throw in my two cents, in addition to what everyone else said, I'd recommend Here's Where the Strings Come In. It's a good balance between their earlier harder stuff and later softer stuff and doesn't have any stringed instruments besides guitar and bass, which isn't true of later albums. It also has my two favorite songs of theirs, Hyper Enough and Detroit Has a Skyline.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Rediscovered Dylan lately. I have Hard Rain, Together Through Life and a compilation. I like his story-telling songs like Hurricane and Tangled Up In Blue. Is Blud on the Tracks a good place to start?

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Auditore posted:

Rediscovered Dylan lately. I have Hard Rain, Together Through Life and a compilation. I like his story-telling songs like Hurricane and Tangled Up In Blue. Is Blud on the Tracks a good place to start?

Yes, Blood on the Tracks is a decent starting point for later Dylan and also for anyone who wants to get into Dylan. There are a lot songs on there at are basically stories and could be turned into stories easily. After that go where ever you feel that you should go. Early Dylan, Folkie Dylan that is, has a lot of great story telling songs. Blonde on Blonde and Highway 61 have a lot stuff that your looking for if you want him to tell you stories. Planet Waves, which has my favorite tracks, Forever Young Continued and Wedding Song, is not bad either.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I have Different Class by Pulp and love it, where do I go from here?

Also a quickie, 36 Chambers is the best starting point for Wu Tang right?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Tre Past Cool! posted:

Just to throw in my two cents, in addition to what everyone else said, I'd recommend Here's Where the Strings Come In. It's a good balance between their earlier harder stuff and later softer stuff and doesn't have any stringed instruments besides guitar and bass, which isn't true of later albums. It also has my two favorite songs of theirs, Hyper Enough and Detroit Has a Skyline.

And it has Animated Airplanes Over Germany. So yeah, Here's Where the Strings Come In would be a great place to go afterwards (it just got reissued, too).

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Davincie posted:

I have Different Class by Pulp and love it, where do I go from here?

Also a quickie, 36 Chambers is the best starting point for Wu Tang right?

His 'n' Hers and This Is Hardcore. We Love Life is also pretty good. Only pick up the early albums if you really get into the band. They were just reissued, in fact.

And yes. After that just get solo albums, because the rest of the group albums are middling. There are a bunch of solo albums that are regarded as classics (Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Return to the 36 Chambers, Tical, Supreme Clientele) but you should really just base it on who your favorite rappers in the group are.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I have completely fallen back in love with The Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity. Sadly with the exception of a couple of songs on Miss Machine I have been considerably less than impressed with anything else in their catalog. Can anyone recommend Bands/Albums along the same lines? and yes, I know about Botch's We are the Romans. Thanks in advance. :D

Here are some bands that fall less onto the hardcore side of things, but are loving crazy and awesome:

Hella - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdMDcG3zAEI
Tera Melos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amodU65_Qt4
Nuito - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lNK9kWmUqk

If you dig that stuff, the genre that they're all generally lumped into (which you may already be aware of) is Math Rock.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008
I really wanna get into classical music. Besides the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc...) are there any, possibly more "contemporary," composers out there? Any albums I should get?

Also Kamelot is coming to my city next week and after hearing a couple songs on youtube, I think they're awesome. Where should I start with them so that I know some of the stuff they'll play?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Efilnikufesin posted:

Also Kamelot is coming to my city next week and after hearing a couple songs on youtube, I think they're awesome. Where should I start with them so that I know some of the stuff they'll play?
Setlists from their Europe tour a few months ago are probably a good starting place, but they cover 6 different albums.

If you're just trying to get into them in general, I'd say Epica and The Black Halo are their best work.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I'm recently just getting into stuff like The Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

Where should I start with some of those juggernauts of music(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.)

I really like The End by The Doors and Blackbird by The Beatles if that's any indication of what I like, this stuff is entirely new to me.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Brace posted:

So I'm recently just getting into stuff like The Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc.

Where should I start with some of those juggernauts of music(Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.)

I really like The End by The Doors and Blackbird by The Beatles if that's any indication of what I like, this stuff is entirely new to me.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Volume IV

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle

The Velvet Underground - Loaded

The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wilbur Swain posted:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Volume IV

Any of the first four albums are incredible.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I've been digging Explosions in the Sky a lot and decided to move on to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Since they don't have any albums on Spotify, what would be one good youtube track to give me an idea of their style?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Moeru posted:

I've been digging Explosions in the Sky a lot and decided to move on to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Since they don't have any albums on Spotify, what would be one good youtube track to give me an idea of their style?

If you've seen 28 Days Later, you've already heard this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSJvIlG9bls

That's just one movement. Here's the full, almost 18 minute long version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kfkUUkEGtc

The majority of their songs are like this. They'll have different movements, which basically means there will be a few minutes of (usually not so interesting) ambient noise / samples and then a few minutes of pure awesome.

stipendlax
Aug 22, 2011

Moeru posted:

Check out Mono and A Silver Mt. Zion as well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stipendlax posted:

Check out Mono and A Silver Mt. Zion as well.

This. And here are some tracks to get you interested in Mono:

Ashes In The Snow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Juilrg6oQ

Pure As Snow (Trails Of The Winter Storm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw1I-62cTLw

Halo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivL9Hd7mn_k

Human Highway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csr2IpL20Lo

I won't post Yearning here because if you're interested after hearing these tracks, I want you to go out and find it and listen to it on your own. It's honestly one of my favorite songs of all time. Breathtaking from start to finish.

They make the kind of post-rock that's so furious and emotional that it sends shivers all down your body. I've seen them live twice and they put on the most beautiful live show I've ever attended.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 22, 2011

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Thrash. I'm talking old 80s thrash and some NWOBHM stuff. I know Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. But I want to get into Testament and stuff like that. I need some classic albums to start and where do I go from there.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Efilnikufesin posted:

I really wanna get into classical music. Besides the obvious choices (Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc...) are there any, possibly more "contemporary," composers out there? Any albums I should get?

Contemporary/20th century classical is really huge and diverse, so it's difficult to pick not knowing more about your own tastes. New Yorker critic Alex Ross wrote a neat narrative history of the period, The Rest is Noise, although the book is a lil controversial for what it focuses on and what it leaves out. The appendix to the book includes a list of recommended starter recordings; someone copied the first 10 listed onto amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Rest-is-Noise-Ten-Recommended-Recordings/lm/R54LADHIXCCM9/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_1

Some personal faves:
Karol Szymanowski: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ-wUTycX8Y
Witold Lutoslawski: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK8gvqWEFpk
Morton Feldman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXS36ulFeRI (many of his pieces are like this but much longer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Polegrinder posted:

Thrash. I'm talking old 80s thrash and some NWOBHM stuff. I know Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, and Metallica. But I want to get into Testament and stuff like that. I need some classic albums to start and where do I go from there.

Notable thrash bands outside of the big four that I can think of off the top of my head: Testament, Overkill, Exodus, Forsaken, Death Angel, Metal Church, Dark Angel, and Kreator. I seem to recall that AllMusic had some pretty good album picks for most of these guys.