Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If anyone wants an SSD, today's Newegg shellshocker (96GB Kingston V+100) is a great deal for Macs. Why? Because it's basically the same drive that Apple used in its SSDs last year due to its excellent TRIM-independent garbage collection.

Is it worth it to go sata III/6gbs? I think I might take the dive and get this drive, and rip apart the iMac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrEnigma posted:

Is it worth it to go sata III/6gbs? I think I might take the dive and get this drive, and rip apart the iMac.
Few SSDs can saturate SATA II/3gbps anyway. Unless you're willing to invest in a high-end SSD, don't worry about SATA III/6gbps. And even if they do saturate the bus, you'll have a hard time telling the difference in most usage scenarios, unless you're doing a ton of sequential writes. The order-of-magnitude-faster random performance is what makes SSDs so great.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SATA III becomes more important when you're going to do RAID.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

movax posted:

still prefer my PC on the desktop as I posted, but I have gotten tired of loving around with various parts, dealing with RMAs, etc. I got lucky with my Sandy Bridge build that the only RMA was forced due to the Cougar Point chipset bug. I guess I just really appreciate versatility on my desktop, since my interests/projects take me all over the place, and Windows still wins in that regard for me. doing audio editing one day, video the next, gaming in between, software development, it's all covered.
Yeah, this is pretty much my usage pattern as well. Tinkering with my gaming PC is a hobby/something to relieve stress, so it remains as my desktop. Macs for portability then, with an old PowerMac G4 at home for audio playback, and at work a PowerMac G5 and Intel iMac (the Intel iMac running a Windows VM so I can do support in either OS X or Windows).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Bob Morales posted:

SATA III becomes more important when you're going to do RAID.

Why? Each SATA channel gets its own bandwidth. Unless you're talking an external box with a port multiplier.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
iFixit has a kit out for adding a second drive to the new Mini.

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

I already have the cable (and a similar bit driver kit) so I don't need it, but the grommets and screws look specific enough that you need them if you want to do the install "right." I might just throw the drive in there without mounting it. If you don't need to remove the HD bracket you can drop the second drive in without moving the logic board.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
SSD Bought, slimline 13 to 22 pin sata cable bought.

Now to find some suction cups. Any other tool I might need to rip this thing apart?

(Thanks for all the advice/help in here so far)

Edit: I somehow lost my torn screwdriver as well...weak

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 13, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I just went to put an MRI read into my MBA and lol.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I was just going to go with one of the 7200 RPM HDDs as a cheap upgrade over the stock HDD in my MBP, but the Kingston V+100 96GB for $89.99 is really tempting me...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I work in a lab doing black-box testing with several thousand computers, swapping components and often installing dozens of OSes a day in every flavor of Windows, Linux, and OS X that you can imagine. The last thing I want to do when I get home is have to fight with my computer. So yes, this was another reason I switched to Macs. When you work all day with computers, I just want poo poo to work.

Yep, bingo. I work in support, so I get my messing with things quotient during the day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

I'd trade the i7 11" for the i5 13." Every review and piece of advice I've looked at points to it being a pretty big leap from the 1.6ghz i5 in the 11" to the 1.7ghz one in the base 13" and a comparatively tiny one between the two available CPUs in the bigger MBA.

Anand subscribes to the 10% rule when comparing benchmark scores (anything 10% different or less isn't going to be noticeable/worth a lot of money and anything over is) and the two 13" CPUs tend to fall within that 10% for the vast majority of things. As someone else pointed out, you drop another $100 just for e-peen. Plus, if you get the base 13", you won't pay a cent more than you would on a tricked out 11".

Either way, the worst MBA runs circles around my macbook, so I'm pleased as punch regardless. I sort of wish I'd have gotten the biggest HD since I've already got more on the macbook than I'll have room for-but a lot of that is crap I don't need/can relegate to an external drive/use as an excuse to keep the macbook. It just wasn't worth another $300 to me.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 13, 2011

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MrEnigma posted:

SSD Bought, slimline 13 to 22 pin sata cable bought.

Now to find some suction cups. Any other tool I might need to rip this thing apart?

(Thanks for all the advice/help in here so far)

Edit: I somehow lost my torn screwdriver as well...weak

I used the GPS mount for my car to pop open the glass.

Residency Evil posted:

I just went to put an MRI read into my MBA and lol.

I don't understand any of this gibberish.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FCKGW posted:

He loaded a MRI of his ankle, high resolution image, probably gave Preview.app a workout.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
My Magic Trackpad is feeling a little sticky thanks to the AC going out. What's the best way to clean this guy?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My streak continues - 6 HDDs down across three 13" Macbook Pros.

Lost the stock 250gb in a mid-2010 MBP today out of completely nowhere - I monitor the SMART stats like a hawk. poo poo is out of warranty now too. :suicide:

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

CDOR Gemini posted:

My Magic Trackpad is feeling a little sticky thanks to the AC going out. What's the best way to clean this guy?

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Seriously, the thing is loving amazing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

My streak continues - 6 HDDs down across three 13" Macbook Pros.

Lost the stock 250gb in a mid-2010 MBP today out of completely nowhere - I monitor the SMART stats like a hawk. poo poo is out of warranty now too. :suicide:
For reference, which HDDs have you used in it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lost:
Stock 250gb Hitachi (just now)
Stock 250gb Toshiba
500GB WD Scorpio Blue
640GB WD Scorpio Blue Refurb
2x 500GB Seagate Momentus XT

This is the first one that completely died and was unable to be recognized in a USB enclosure with another Mac. It also causes a kernel panic if I attempt to boot from a CD with it plugged in.

I'm seriously not hard on laptops; I've never dropped one, I always keep it in the case, and they aren't really subject to vibration (unless you consider riding a motorcycle with one every day).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Lost:
Stock 250gb Toshiba
500GB WD Scorpio Blue

This is the first one that completely died and was unable to be recognized in a USB enclosure with another Mac. It also causes a kernel panic if I attempt to boot from a CD with it plugged in.

I'm seriously not hard on laptops; I've never dropped one, I always keep it in the case, and they aren't really subject to vibration (unless you consider riding a motorcycle with one every day).

Wow, that's pretty much across the spectrum of HDD manufacturers (plus, given the variance of manufacturers, it seems unlikely to be due to HDD failures themselves, but something causing it). However the fact it's across 3 13" MBPs makes me think it's not necessarily due to that either...

I'd imagine that riding a motorcycle could essentially impose greater vibrations/etc. onto the hardware, but given that a powered-off state should park the heads anyway, it seems unlikely to cause issues such as what you're having.

Edit - I swear my mental spellchecker isn't working today...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The only dot I have connected is that all three 13" MBPs were of the mid-2010 variety. I had a 2009 13" for almost a year and a half completely problem free.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BlackMK4 posted:

The only dot I have connected is that all three 13" MBPs were of the mid-2010 variety. I had a 2009 13" for almost a year and a half completely problem free.

Could it be excessive heat somehow? (grasping at straws here)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
In all my days of computing since I was a wee lad, from 1995 spanning 8 computers, I've never once experienced a hard drive failure. Two motherboard failures and a superdrive, but never a hard drive.

How someone can have that many hard drives fail on them within a relatively short time blows my mind. Time to make sure everything's backed up, just in case.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you smoke / have cats / live in dusty filth? I'm honestly lost at how that many failures in such a short period of time is possible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1997 posted:

In all my days of computing since I was a wee lad, from 1995 spanning 8 computers, I've never once experienced a hard drive failure. Two motherboard failures and a superdrive, but never a hard drive.

How someone can have that many hard drives fail on them within a relatively short time blows my mind. Time to make sure everything's backed up, just in case.

I've been around computers since as long as you and I'd never lost a hard drive at all. First and only systems I've ever lost drives in. Not even the drive that was dropped from 3 stories up in the packaging.

Hardware failure wise I've lost a PSU and a motherboard+cpu to a Peltier/water cooling accident.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Do you smoke / have cats / live in dusty filth? I'm honestly lost at how that many failures in such a short period of time is possible.
Nope.

dissss posted:

Could it be excessive heat somehow? (grasping at straws here)
Not really, I keep the temperature of my rooms at 78* and I never use the computers outside. :v:

vvvv

SourKraut posted:

Do you...

* live in an area that happens to be dusty quite often, such as the southwestern United States?
* could the vents be accidentally getting blocked?
* use any type of case protector, such as those rubber/plastic inCase covers?
* when you installed the drives, was there any chance a static discharge could have occurred?
* normally have a separate keyboard you use at times, or are you always resting your hands on the case when typing?

Just trying to think/grasp at any idea that could be causing it...
Yes, Arizona. I'm anal about keeping the thing clean, but no case protector. Doubtful that ESD could have occurred, but you never know. Always resting my hands on it to type.

Seriously, only thing I can link is that they were mid 2010 13".

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 13, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I've been around computers since as long as you and I'd never lost a hard drive at all. First and only systems I've ever lost drives in.

Hardware failure wise I've lost a PSU and a motherboard+cpu to a Peltier/water cooling accident.

Nope.

Not really, I keep the temperature of my rooms at 78* and I never use the computers outside. :v:

Do you...

* live in an area that happens to be dusty quite often, such as the southwestern United States?
* could the vents be accidentally getting blocked?
* use any type of case protector, such as those rubber/plastic inCase covers?
* when you installed the drives, was there any chance a static discharge could have occurred?
* normally have a separate keyboard you use at times, or are you always resting your hands on the case when typing?

Just trying to think/grasp at any idea that could be causing it...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

FCKGW posted:

Sorry, meant to say that I took a cd, went to put it in the side of my MBA and it didn't work out well at all.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Edit: Wrong thread

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this, so yeah. What do you pc building/upgrading enthusiasts do to not get rid of your macs and go back to a desktop pc? I can't really scratch the itch of wanting PC games and the ability to upgrade and change things whenever I want. I absolutely LOVE my new iMac, but it only made me want to use my pc again and really learn everything there is to learn about it inside and out. It's basically the classical vs romantic argument and I can't really find a middle ground.

Hackintosh.

I have a full tower case, a Radeon 5870, a Q6600 with a TRUE running at 3.6 GHz, a real serial port, multiple sound inputs and outputs, space for more drives than is sensible, and even after all that I still have PCI-E and PCI slots for more stuff if I should so choose.

Best of both worlds if your PC is your hobby too.
Funnily enough I was always a Mac first-and-foremost kinda guy as people in this thread can probably attest, until the Intel switch when Apple disgusted me with the tower price hikes and I went bespoke instead. I never had a PC at all until then.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 13, 2011

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

If i got a mac mini and this http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/ could I plug the dh2go into the displayport and run 2 monitors off that then run a 3rd monitor off the hdmi port? Is this possible?

If I get the mini with the Radeon + the Lightridge thunderbolt controller would it have enough grunt to run 3 24" at 1920x1080? I'm not doing anything particularly graphics intensive I just want the real estate.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

If anyone wants an SSD, today's Newegg shellshocker (96GB Kingston V+100) is a great deal for Macs. Why? Because it's basically the same drive that Apple used in its SSDs last year due to its excellent TRIM-independent garbage collection.

Since you mentioned the 96 GB drive being equivalent to a drive Apple used last year, what about the 128 GB V+100? I thought I remember reading once that there some differences between the sizes for the V+100s, but can't remember if that's correct or not.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

One of you was joking about hoping that my wife doesn't ask for a Thunderbolt Cinema Display, but just for kicks I looked online at them. Is that 27 inch beast the only size display they sell anymore!? It seems like they used to have at least a few different sizes, starting with a merely "very large" 20 inch and going up from there.

Her 22" Samsung is working well enough with the HDMI to DVI adapter that came with her Mac Mini, but she was complaining a little bit about the text (loving typography class she took in college permanently switched something on in her brain). I played with the color calibration thing, and I guess that helped, I don't know. But anyway, the only display they sell is $1000?!

Unrelated hardware question (and I checked the OP this time, I promise!):
What's the general consensus on Time Capsule/Airport Extreme/Time Machine?

Right now I'm just using the router that Verizon provided for our FIOS service, which is surprisingly robust, but it only does Wireless B/G. I'd love to get some Wireless N and gigabit LAN action going on in here, and having a nice automated backup source thing seems like a nice idea as well.

From the very little I've seen, Time Machine looks to be about as straightforward as backup systems get, but would appreciate feedback from other goons (I realize this is more of a software question, but whatever).

Finally, as for the wifi component, how much flexibility does it give you? Port forwarding? Static DHCP leases? VPN passthrough (straight up VPN support is probably asking too much)?

$300 is not exactly an impulse buy, but for a boost in overall network speed (we've got several devices that support wireless N, but just aren't using it) and a centralized backup system that presumably integrates nicely with our computers, it's not an unreasonable cost.
I think with the displays they just decided to gently caress it and only offer the higher end cause they're actually competitive in the 27-30" space price wise (at the 2560px wide res at least) vs being 2-3x the cost of other 24"s.

As for the TC/AE they're nice as routers, although I have no clue if it does VPN stuff. Backup wise I'm kind of paranoid about horror stories with it, but people have had success with it too :shobon: (there's also stories about plain ol' direct attached Time Machine backups going bad to for what it's worth). Here's Anandtech's pretty thorough review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/airport-extreme-5th-gen-and-time-capsule-4th-gen-review-faster-wifi-

flyboi posted:

I bought a Crucial M4 128GB :ohdear:

I'm going to put this in my MBP as it looks like there might be stuttering issues and move the 128GB C300 in my MBP to my iMac as I have had 0 issues with that drive and swapping drives around and poo poo is MUCH easier on the MBP. Cables and all should be here next Friday wish me luck!
I've heard the M4 is ok after the last firmware update. Skim the MacRumors forums for that stuff, there's a lot of :spergin: people over there with specific threads about particular drives and individual Mac model forums.

movax posted:

If I understand correctly (which hopefully I do because I put this in the monitor thread OP):

2010 ACD = friends with everyone, it's DisplayPort
2010 iMac = target display mode only with 2010 Macs (no Thunderbolt)
2011 Thunderbolt = Thunderbolt bitches :smug:
2011 iMac = Target display mode only with 2011 Macs (Thunderbolt bitches :smug:)
2010 iMac target display should be able to work with 2011 iMacs since the 2011s can output DisplayPort fine.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

iFixit has a kit out for adding a second drive to the new Mini.

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005

I already have the cable (and a similar bit driver kit) so I don't need it, but the grommets and screws look specific enough that you need them if you want to do the install "right." I might just throw the drive in there without mounting it. If you don't need to remove the HD bracket you can drop the second drive in without moving the logic board.
Yeah I'm probably going to plop the SSD in there and maybe ghetto rig some type of cushioning to more or less secure it in place…honestly just cause the proper installation looks like a massive pain in the rear end since you have to dismantle the whole drat thing.

BlackMK4 posted:

Lost:
Stock 250gb Toshiba
500GB WD Scorpio Blue
:stare: You are the new kapalama. If it makes you feel any better I think the Momentus XT kind of has a bad reputation to begin with at least.

unixbeard posted:

If i got a mac mini and this http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/ could I plug the dh2go into the displayport and run 2 monitors off that then run a 3rd monitor off the hdmi port? Is this possible?

If I get the mini with the Radeon + the Lightridge thunderbolt controller would it have enough grunt to run 3 24" at 1920x1080? I'm not doing anything particularly graphics intensive I just want the real estate.
Yeah kinda. The issue with Matrox dual head type things is that they work basically by combining both screens into one for the computer, then splitting the output, so the computer would end up seeing one 3840x1080 screen, and stuff like Lion full screen apps would span right across both. You might want to look into this thing. Looks like Monoprice has their own too. I'm not 100% on them, but it seems like they may be using the standard DP protocol to run multiple displays.

And the Radeon should be fine if you're only doing basic stuff with it. It's kind of a question of whether it'll actually support two displays off its Thunderbolt port. Apple doesn't say anything about it, but a Macworld review I saw the other day said it could, so…:iiam:.

SourKraut posted:

Since you mentioned the 96 GB drive being equivalent to a drive Apple used last year, what about the 128 GB V+100? I thought I remember reading once that there some differences between the sizes for the V+100s, but can't remember if that's correct or not.
Bigger may be faster, otherwise it should be the same controller and everything else.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ wall of text glazedeyes territory

VPN is fine, Cisco and F5 work perfectly with the AEBS (and the TC) without any fine tuning bullshit for me and countless clients.

As for the TM horror stories, a lot of it centered around lovely wireless backup. Apple got their poo poo together and fixed up the backup routines both in the OS and in the AE/TC firmware, so it's mostly a thing of the past. Just do your first backup over Ethernet and unless you edit 8 GB Photoshop files every day (which is definitely NOT what the wireless part was intended for) you'll be fine.

Myself, on my Mac Pro, I do TM to a portable Verbatim 500 GB over FireWire and never had any problems.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 13, 2011

Justice Fries
Oct 23, 2008

vty posted:

Any else of you returning your i5 MBA for the i7? I only have two days left on my return, still trying to decide.

My big thing was hoping this didn't do some crazy fan RPM when watching basic videos/movies, which it does, so hell, I might as well have the i7.

I'm also SLIGHTLY considering going from the 11" to the 13". I wish the 13" was 16:10.

If you haven't decided yet, I got the i7 13" MBA on day one as a development machine. I love it. The footprint isn't that much bigger, and I can run XCode/MacVim all in full screen with no problems. It also powers my 27" cinema I have at work.

It's a beastly machine totally suitable for development, if that gives you any indication. I also use Perian to do some video encoding.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this but...

I picked up a new 13" Core i5 MBA about 2 weeks ago. It is actually the first Mac I've owned and I really like it so far. However I have noticed that if I leave the dongle for a wireless mouse plugged into the laptop while it's sleeping, it will completely drain the battery in pretty short order (12 hours or so?), almost as if the laptop is not fully sleeping or something.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? Or a more relevant place to discuss this kind of stuff?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

japtor posted:

2010 iMac target display should be able to work with 2011 iMacs since the 2011s can output DisplayPort fine.

I thought SWSP reported that his 2011 MBA was not working with his 2010 iMac when it came to Target Display Mode, but I may be wrong.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

I thought SWSP reported that his 2011 MBA was not working with his 2010 iMac when it came to Target Display Mode, but I may be wrong.
Incorrect! I haven't tested it yet.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

movax posted:

Thunderbolt devices will not work with non-thunderbolt in target display I believe.

Edit: I AM WRONG https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206261?start=0&tstart=0

movax
Aug 30, 2008

flyboi posted:

Thunderbolt devices will not work with non-thunderbolt in target display I believe.

Edit: I AM WRONG https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3206261?start=0&tstart=0

Well poo poo. I'll go fix the Monitor thread OP now! :downs:

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

hootimus posted:

I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this but...

I picked up a new 13" Core i5 MBA about 2 weeks ago. It is actually the first Mac I've owned and I really like it so far. However I have noticed that if I leave the dongle for a wireless mouse plugged into the laptop while it's sleeping, it will completely drain the battery in pretty short order (12 hours or so?), almost as if the laptop is not fully sleeping or something.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? Or a more relevant place to discuss this kind of stuff?

I'm pretty sure if you have something plugged into the USB, the computer won't go into deep sleep or hibernate or whatever you call it. I think that means the RAM stays powered but 12 hours seems pretty short for your battery draining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm 99% sure I'm making the jump from PC to Mac. I have a couple of laptops and a tablet I can sell and buy a MacBook with.

First things first. The thread title scares me, is the MacBook line going away, or just the non-pro?

Secondly, I do a lot of work in Premiere, After Effects, and Lightroom. I'm guessing a Pro would be better than a MB or an Air for my purposes, correct?

Thirdly, I'm going to be getting a refurb, but I'm wondering how far back I can safely go? I hear apple drops support for machines after about 4 years, is this accurate? If so, I'm guessing older machines still work with OSX even though they arent "officially supported"?