Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

rotaryfun posted:

Have you tried using battery calibration app?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nema.batterycalibration&feature=search_result

No, but I will. I wasn't too concerned, usually it's plugged into my computer or car. I was just on a long public transit trip yesterday. I'm fairly certain constantly trying to re-download a 157mb zip file was the main culprit.

Also, is Liberty a Gingerbread based rom? Am I correct in assuming that the CM7 in it's current DX state is a Froyo rom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

highme posted:

Also, is Liberty a Gingerbread based rom? Am I correct in assuming that the CM7 in it's current DX state is a Froyo rom?

Yeah, Liberty AOSP, Liberty GB, and Apex are all gingerbread based ROMs. CM7 and MIUI are Froyo. It's been stated that cvps is looking into making CM4DX a gingerbread based ROM, however he's limited by the fact that at the moment, 2nd-init only works with froyo. Not sure if/when he'll get over that one. I imagine it'd be a pretty huge accomplishment though because of the fact that there are so few root methods for gingerbread. Most require downgrade to froyo for known exploits.

dohminator
Oct 5, 2004

They can take our dignity. They can take all the hot women. But they will NOT take our jobs. And they will NEVER take our store!
I just tried to install via bootstrapper and I continually got errors and CM7 wouldn't install

assert failed: run_program("/tmp/check_kernel")
== 0
Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-58.zip
(Status 7)

Any idea what that is all about

Edit: I think I figured it out. I tried to install from a rooted gingerbread build instead of a rooted froyo build. I think I'll try a gingerbread rom instead

dohminator fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 13, 2011

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

dohminator posted:

I just tried to install via bootstrapper and I continually got errors and CM7 wouldn't install

assert failed: run_program("/tmp/check_kernel")
== 0
Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-58.zip
(Status 7)

Any idea what that is all about

Check the MD5 of the zip. Maybe you got a bad download.

schnarf
Jun 1, 2002
I WIN.
Does anybody have a guide they've personally used with success to root the HTC Thunderbolt? I've been meaning to for a while, and have said no to all of Verizon's OTA updates.

My specific question is, are there any issues with the OTA updates from Verizon after rooting? I've heard both that you can't root from the most recent OTA update, and that installing a new OTA update after rooting can break things. Does anybody know for sure what the best way to go about this is? Is there an update I should install after rooting?

I've found this guide and this guide, but I haven't found anything conclusively saying what I should do about updates. My baseband version is still "1.16.00.0402w_1", build number is "1.13.506.7 CL341545 release-keys", Android version 2.2.1, kernel version 2.6.32.21-gb05544a. Thanks!

Edit: I found this rooted update ROM that apparently I should install immediately after rooting, rather than accepting an OTA update. Can anybody point me to some instructions on how I can do that safely? Has anybody done this to their Thunderbolt? Thanks! I see some guides for installing a ROM but this appears to be ROM and radio, and I can't find a guide on how to install those together -- if I install one and not the other, couldn't that break things?

schnarf fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 13, 2011

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

schnarf posted:

Does anybody have a guide they've personally used with success to root the HTC Thunderbolt? I've been meaning to for a while, and have said no to all of Verizon's OTA updates.

My specific question is, are there any issues with the OTA updates from Verizon after rooting? I've heard both that you can't root from the most recent OTA update, and that installing a new OTA update after rooting can break things. Does anybody know for sure what the best way to go about this is? Is there an update I should install after rooting?

I've found this guide and this guide, but I haven't found anything conclusively saying what I should do about updates. My baseband version is still "1.16.00.0402w_1", build number is "1.13.506.7 CL341545 release-keys", Android version 2.2.1, kernel version 2.6.32.21-gb05544a. Thanks!

Edit: I found this rooted update ROM that apparently I should install immediately after rooting, rather than accepting an OTA update. Can anybody point me to some instructions on how I can do that safely? Has anybody done this to their Thunderbolt? Thanks! I see some guides for installing a ROM but this appears to be ROM and radio, and I can't find a guide on how to install those together -- if I install one and not the other, couldn't that break things?

I followed the second guide you linked and had no problems at all. Before rooting, I'd downloaded the most recent OTA at the time (MR2) so if they haven't pushed any since then, that would be the OTA trying to install on your phone. The process pretty much leaves you with MR1 rooted so if you OTA update before rooting like I did, you won't get any data because you'll be on MR1 with the MR2 radio. To fix this, either flash the MR1 radio, flash a rooted MR2 ROM, or flash a custom ROM like CM7 or OMFGB (haven't tried the latter but it seems popular).

Good luck!

VVV - Correct.

AlexMoron fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 13, 2011

schnarf
Jun 1, 2002
I WIN.

AlexMoron posted:

I followed the second guide you linked and had no problems at all. Before rooting, I'd downloaded the most recent OTA at the time (MR2) so if they haven't pushed any since then, that would be the OTA trying to install on your phone. The process pretty much leaves you with MR1 rooted so if you OTA update before rooting like I did, you won't get any data because you'll be on MR1 with the MR2 radio. To fix this, either flash the MR1 radio, flash a rooted MR2 ROM, or flash a custom ROM like CM7 or OMFGB (haven't tried the latter but it seems popular).

Good luck!
Thanks, that's very helpful! So you're saying that when I go to flash to rooted MR2 rom and MR2 radio, it's no problem if I do them separately? In other words, having radio and ROM out of sync just means I won't get data, not that I'll break anything? Thanks!

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

So is it safe to root the Evo 3d at this point? I wanted to wait a bit to avoid anything like what happened with the Evo first time around.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chunk posted:

So is it safe to root the Evo 3d at this point? I wanted to wait a bit to avoid anything like what happened with the Evo first time around.

Haven't seen any reports of irreparable problems, I helped my roommate root his a few hours ago with zero pain.

If on Windows, install Android SDK and the HTC Sync driver.
Enable USB Debugging on the phone.
Plug in phone.
Copy over recovery of choice, named PG86IMG.zip.
Copy over superuser zip or ROM of choice, as preferred.
Run Revolution.
Enter key generated from Revolution site.
Wait while Revolution does it's thing with the bootloader.
Reboot holding vol-
Wait while bootloader installs recovery.
Boot to recovery.
Back up if desired, flash superuser or ROM of choice.
Done.

It didn't work via Windows in VMware on a Macbook Pro, but I think that was VMware's fault. It would get to the first reboot to fastboot and stall there. Native on my Ubuntu netbook worked perfectly the first time.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Chunk posted:

Over a week now, haven't had an issue or read anything that would make me think twice about doing it again. You don't even have to wipe your phone to s-off and root.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AlexMoron posted:

Good luck!

VVV - Correct.

I also used the second guide. When you have gone through that process you wind up with the MR1 radio on a rooted rom.

You can then independently flash the MR2 radio that went out in an OTA last month, there is an image file on one of the XDA radio threads. After that you can flash one of the MR2 dependent ROMs.

If you boot a ROM that is incompatible with your radio firmware all that happens is you have no cell service. It won't ruin your phone.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Under pressure from my fiancee I opted to return my Dinc2, which I wasn't having fun with anyways due to lack of rootability, and instead got a Nook Color to gently caress with. I'm returning to ED05 debloat/debing ROMs on my resurrected Fascinate because I killed an SD card with CM7 and don't trust it until the nightlies are all clear (edit: also I use my flashlight a lot). So we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, time to gently caress around on a NC and see what I can make it do.

AlexMoron
Jul 28, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

I also used the second guide. When you have gone through that process you wind up with the MR1 radio on a rooted rom.

You can then independently flash the MR2 radio that went out in an OTA last month, there is an image file on one of the XDA radio threads. After that you can flash one of the MR2 dependent ROMs.

If you boot a ROM that is incompatible with your radio firmware all that happens is you have no cell service. It won't ruin your phone.

Oh, whoops. That's right. You end up with MR1 completely, radio included. I forgot that I independently flashed the MR2 radio while I was still on that rooted MR1.

schnarf
Jun 1, 2002
I WIN.
I'm all set, thanks all for your help rooting my Thunderbolt!

For anybody who ends up in my position, here's what I did that worked: I followed this guide, and downloaded this rooted update.

After following the guide for rooting, I installed ClockworkMod Recovery and immediately made a backup, which I ended up being very glad about. Then what ultimately ended up working was putting both the ROM and radio updates on the SD card, making sure to name the radio update "PG05IMG.zip", but calling the ROM whatever. I first flashed the radio update through the bootloader, not recovery -- I first tried flashing the radio through ClockworkMod Recovery and kept getting "Installation aborted", and it turned out that the radio update needs to be done through the bootloader. Then I rebooted again to ClockworkMod Recovery (adb reboot recovery, or reboot to the bootloader then choose "recovery"), and had it install the ROM update. Things seem to be working now!

schnarf fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 13, 2011

Todd
Jan 10, 2005
Has anyone else had any issues rooting the DROID x after 2.3? I can't seem to find a working root...

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

wolrah posted:

It didn't work via Windows in VMware on a Macbook Pro, but I think that was VMware's fault. It would get to the first reboot to fastboot and stall there. Native on my Ubuntu netbook worked perfectly the first time.

An issue I had was I needed to direct the USB output to the VM after the device rebooted. This may have been the same problem (though I was using Parallels).

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

Todd posted:

Has anyone else had any issues rooting the DROID x after 2.3? I can't seem to find a working root...

There isn't a working root for the Droid x running gingerbread. But you can always sbf (sfb???) Back to froyo and root then. Google something like Droid x sbf and you'll get pointed in the right direction.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I keep having a service called 'multiple packages' ask for root access. Is there any way I could find out what that is?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Todd posted:

Like someone else said, you'll have to sbf back to froyo to root it, then upgrade packages through ROMs.

Really easy to do, just be sure you check which bootloader you have to get the proper sbf file. You can check it by holding the down volume and camera button while powering on. It'll say either 30.03 or 30.04, so just download the appropriate sbf. Once you're sbf'd back to froyo, run z4root for root access and droid 2 bootloader for recovery. From their either load up the 2 package GB root ROM or CM7/MIUI.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Glimm posted:

An issue I had was I needed to direct the USB output to the VM after the device rebooted. This may have been the same problem (though I was using Parallels).

That was my likely candidate for the problem, it seems like the phone changed device IDs a few times thus breaking VMware's automatic reattachment of the device. We got it reattached manually within a second or two every time, but apparently that wasn't fast enough.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Surprised this hasn't been posted. Someone went through the Google Video code and removed the scans for Root access, so now rooted users can purchase videos.
Link: http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=16930.0

Doesn't seem like there is a cleaned Tablet version. I was considering purchasing a video to test on my Tablet, (can't due to lack of cleaned APK) and most of the comments in the videos section is rather horrid. Tons of 1 starred movies due to all sorts of issues.

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
My girlfriend has a Kyocera/Sanyo Zio from Cricket, and she's having trouble keeping apps on her phone (or a lot of other content, for that matter) because some apps won't install to her SD card. The phone only has 200MB of space built-in, but includes the SD card so you can add space for music and (supposedly) apps. However, she can't fill her 8GB SD card because a lot of apps won't install there. Will rooting this phone help me diagnose and fix this problem, or is this something that is built-in to Android itself?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

My girlfriend has a Kyocera/Sanyo Zio from Cricket, and she's having trouble keeping apps on her phone (or a lot of other content, for that matter) because some apps won't install to her SD card. The phone only has 200MB of space built-in, but includes the SD card so you can add space for music and (supposedly) apps. However, she can't fill her 8GB SD card because a lot of apps won't install there. Will rooting this phone help me diagnose and fix this problem, or is this something that is built-in to Android itself?
I have a friend with the Zio, there isn't anything you can do to help. On a better supported device you have options, but for the Zio there's really no way around the small internal storage.

Though it might be comforting to bask in the knowledge that she has more internal storage than both Desire and Nexus One owners running stock (none of us run stock though).

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

wolrah posted:

Haven't seen any reports of irreparable problems, I helped my roommate root his a few hours ago with zero pain.

If on Windows, install Android SDK and the HTC Sync driver.
Enable USB Debugging on the phone.
Plug in phone.
Copy over recovery of choice, named PG86IMG.zip.
Copy over superuser zip or ROM of choice, as preferred.
Run Revolution.
Enter key generated from Revolution site.
Wait while Revolution does it's thing with the bootloader.
Reboot holding vol-
Wait while bootloader installs recovery.
Boot to recovery.
Back up if desired, flash superuser or ROM of choice.
Done.

And this doesn't require backing everything up and reinstalling it through titanium or anything like that?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Hey a couple posters asked about CM7 for SGS2 and I just wanna recommend Insanity - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1170249. It's very fast and stable and doesn't have any of the bugs I experienced with the CM7 nightly.

Also, DevNull is a really good AOSP ROM and Lite'ning is a good stock ROM with a lot of nice tweaks.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Any Droid Inc users running a Sense 3.0 ROM? I've tried picking through XDA to find one I like, but that place seems almost useless now.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Any Droid Inc users running a Sense 3.0 ROM? I've tried picking through XDA to find one I like, but that place seems almost useless now.

Most of them are still somewhat shaky, I found. I kept going back to CM7.

ThatSinkingFeeling
Dec 28, 2006

Goons be damned, I'm going for babes!
Trying to root my Nokia Nuron (I was so stupid for buying this stupid thing). SOC isn't helping so far, so I'm trying other programs as well.

If there are any suggestions, I'll take them.

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
I suggest buying a phone running android :confused:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

candy for breakfast posted:

I suggest buying a phone running android :confused:

I think the poster may be referring to this:

http://nokia5230.com/nokia-5230-hacking-tutorial/

Either way, this should probably go in the Nokia thread.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
So I'm about to perm-root my Evo3D using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

I already temp-rooted a few weeks ago just to try it out and I have TI backup already installed. Will this also backup my texts/contacts/etc? Titanium basically just mentions apps. Do I even need to worry about the other stuff?

I had previously rooted my gf's HTC Aria but I didn't worry too much about backing stuff up because it was a completely clean phone with none of her data on it yet so I just want to make sure I don't lose anything, also that root method has been around for a while so I figured all the kinks have been worked out for that phone. Might not be the case for the 3D.

Also, are there any good sense-based roms? Every one posted on XDA seems to be hellbent on removing every bit of Sense on the thing while, since it's my first Android phone I actually kinda like it. I threw CM7 on my gf's Aria after reading about so much praise for the rom and thought it was quite ugly actually (as did she, so she promptly made me flash something else).

Or should I just stick to rooted stock when I take the plunge?

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 14, 2011

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

I already temp-rooted a few weeks ago just to try it out and I have TI backup already installed. Will this also backup my texts/contacts/etc? Titanium basically just mentions apps. Do I even need to worry about the other stuff?

For your personal data (contacts/texts/etc), you can either sync them via your Google Account, or do an export to your microSD through the specific apps, then copy your SD card contents to your PC as an additional failsafe.

FlyingCheese posted:

Also, are there any good sense-based roms? Every one posted on XDA seems to be hellbent on removing every bit of Sense on the thing while, since it's my first Android phone I actually kinda like it. I threw CM7 on my gf's Aria after reading about so much praise for the rom and thought it was quite ugly actually (as did she, so she promptly made me flash something else).

I dunno, a quick glance through the ROMs list seems to indicate that there are a few ROMs there that are mainly Evo 3D stock with some performance tweaks. You can always give those a try. Of course, all pre-custom ROM warnings apply (set up recovery, nandroid backups, etc.).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Comedy option:
[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.4[THE BLOODY FINAL]&SS3D REMIX.v2 now available[UPDATE]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193494

Actual suggestion:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1194154

This doesn't have the OTA in it, but this is what I've been running. I read what was in the OTA and don't see any pressing reason for it. I don't have any real issues with Sense 3.0, I just wanted a few minor UI tweaks. Make sure you grab version 0.9 if this looks like your thing, he started messing with the theme in 1.0. If you never took the OTA, you can clear Dalvik and Cache and just flash this over the top of your current ROM without a full wipe.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

FlyingCheese posted:

Also, are there any good sense-based roms? Every one posted on XDA seems to be hellbent on removing every bit of Sense on the thing while, since it's my first Android phone I actually kinda like it.

I'm a fan of CleanROM these days. It's basically a stock rooted ROM with some nice little additions like expanded quick settings and the Gingerbread animations.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193369

Not as many features as some others, but at least nothing's broken. Probably gonna stick with this one until CM or MIUI finally come out.

Edit: comedy option [ROM] ---»CursedDragon2.0«--- *RAWR* Edition 8?7?11

Leathal fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 14, 2011

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

900ftjesus posted:

Comedy option:
[ROM]Bl00dyB3@$T-3d MOD v5.4[THE BLOODY FINAL]&SS3D REMIX.v2 now available[UPDATE]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1193494

Nice tagline. At least he's honest.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Web Jew.0 posted:

Hey a couple posters asked about CM7 for SGS2 and I just wanna recommend Insanity - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1170249. It's very fast and stable and doesn't have any of the bugs I experienced with the CM7 nightly.

Also, DevNull is a really good AOSP ROM and Lite'ning is a good stock ROM with a lot of nice tweaks.

The sg2 cm7 nighties are getting really stable. Build 22 now.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

FlyingCheese posted:

So I'm about to perm-root my Evo3D using this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1192525

TiB will back up/restore your texts just fine. You'll have to reboot after you restore in order for them to show up in your messaging app though.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Sunblood posted:

TiB will back up/restore your texts just fine. You'll have to reboot after you restore in order for them to show up in your messaging app though.

Say I backed up texts from March - June. I get a new phone in June and root it after 1 month in July. If I restore texts, will it overwrite some database or merge the two. Meaning - will I only have texts from March - June or will I have March - July?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

fudsak posted:

Say I backed up texts from March - June. I get a new phone in June and root it after 1 month in July. If I restore texts, will it overwrite some database or merge the two. Meaning - will I only have texts from March - June or will I have March - July?

It'll overwrite. For texts during that interim—or for all texts, really—you could use one of the SMS backup apps to backup texts to Gmail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET ME OUT OF FYAD
Feb 5, 2004
booyakasha
The OG Evo now has root on Gingerbread!

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary

A few other new devices are supported too, I believe.