Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I'm still on the fence about seeing them in Toronto. I finally saw them in Ottawa like ... over five years ago, and it was terrible.

I was expecting 90s KMFDM, and I got ... metal. That alone wouldn't have been inherently awful, but it was also the loudest concert I'd been to thus far and it destroyed my hearing. I've worn earplugs at shows ever since, but really it's too late.

I was so put off by it I skipped their next show, where it turns out Birthday Massacre opened for them, who I adore.

I think I'd be better prepared to enjoy them now, now that I have no expectation for their former glory. I think the worst thing to happen to KMFDM is for Sasha to have married one of the disposable female singers.

Just got back and they loving ruled. Got three encores, mosh pit kicked rear end, the show was good. Their lineup was kind of meh because They had songs from their newer album, which I haven't actually heard yet, but it was a great show.

Also the singer for 16Volt jumped into the mosh pit mid-show and knocked people out, then let the audience sing into his mic.

Definitely better than last time KMFDM was in Portland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

Also the singer for 16Volt jumped into the mosh pit mid-show and knocked people out, then let the audience sing into his mic.

Reminds me of the time that dude from god module tried to crowd surf.

Eighteen people died that night.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Hey man, you gonna go see FLA this month in Stockholm? I'm coming over to see how my cousin is doing (he just moved there) and see the FLA gig on the 27th.
I'm totally going. It was fantastic last year. If you want to meet up for drinks before I'm game.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

I'm totally going. It was fantastic last year. If you want to meet up for drinks before I'm game.

Totally, let's hook up. My cousin's a chill guy and his equally-chill Swedish girlfriend might come see the gig as well, not sure yet.

e: By the way, do you reckon I should have my cousin get the tickets in advance? Is FLA popular enough in Sweden to pull a full house? I'm pretty doubtful but I want to be sure, kinda don't wanna haul my rear end there and notice that they can't let me in :v:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 6, 2011

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Totally, let's hook up. My cousin's a chill guy and his equally-chill Swedish girlfriend might come see the gig as well, not sure yet.

e: By the way, do you reckon I should have my cousin get the tickets in advance? Is FLA popular enough in Sweden to pull a full house? I'm pretty doubtful but I want to be sure, kinda don't wanna haul my rear end there and notice that they can't let me in :v:
It was pretty packed last year so I think I'm gonna get my ticket in advance.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Zaiquiri posted:

Just got back and they loving ruled. Got three encores, mosh pit kicked rear end, the show was good. Their lineup was kind of meh because They had songs from their newer album, which I haven't actually heard yet, but it was a great show.

Definitely better than last time KMFDM was in Portland.
Awesome. I got a press pass so I guess I'm going now!

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

m.i.a.b are so loving good. They're sort of new at live shows though so things go wrong occasionally. They've previously been at the mercy of local mixing boards, but it sounds like they've taken over everything with their latest set up.

edit: here's a video I took with a terrible microphone :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyklrxVpW4E

How do you feel about the way they change up their sound while performing live? Is it too drastic? Are the guitars, etc complimentary or overbearing? I've read complaints from a bunch of people about the changes, but it sounds great to me. I've become such a huge fan by this point that they really can do no wrong anyway. I can't wait for the new album and his THYX side project release. One day I'll get to see them live.. one day :smith:

And for anyone who hasn't seen it, here is a live cut video of Whatever Mattered that he released on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRynJZqzgY

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I loving love their live sound! I find these kinds of shows where the band just plays their recordings over again boring as hell.

I was a big fan of APBL2000 too though, and MIAB does it just so much better.

The thing with MIAB is that they're somewhat new at this and apparently the live mixing has been terrible at some shows, like guitars blasting completely over everything else. They've been experimenting with different equipment and now have some system in place to control it themselves so they're not at the mercy of the local sound guy.

(I don't quite understand how they plan to do it, but that's what they posted to their Facebook.)

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The new Gothsicles CD is out. I hope you're all feverisly purchasing it as hard as you can.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Apparently there is a new Birthday Massacre. Show's release date of tomorrow.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

deong posted:

Apparently there is a new Birthday Massacre. Show's release date of tomorrow.

Bleh, mostly remixes :(

You got me all excited.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Oh..drat. I had to run off to work, didn't get a chance to look much. Now I'm disappointed too.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
It's up for streaming on their myspace page, which apparently they still use for something. Three new songs and five remixes. The new songs are ones that didn't make it onto Pins and Needles.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's also up on Spotify.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I got so excited when I saw Pop Will Eat Itself is putting out a new album, but apparently it's only one of the original members? Dammit Clint, I'm sure the soundtrack business is far better-paying, but it's not the Poppies if you're not there :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I can hear Covenant, or at least a highly Covenant-inspired track in the background of the Barbie movie my animu roommate is watching.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Notgothic posted:

I got so excited when I saw Pop Will Eat Itself is putting out a new album, but apparently it's only one of the original members? Dammit Clint, I'm sure the soundtrack business is far better-paying, but it's not the Poppies if you're not there :(

I find it really, really hard to consider the band Pop Will Eat Itself if there's only one original member left and that member isn't Clint.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

Going to a festival in Denver looks like a great time.

Saturday & Sunday Aug 13/14th @ Casselmans 2620 Walnut Street Denver CO 80205
Sat, August 13th: $20 advance/$25 DOS (21+) Doors 2PM
ICON OF COIL
Dead Hand Projekt
The Strand
Diverje
Cursed Chimera
Torso
Kontrolled Demolition
Super Stereo

Did you make this? Holy poo poo was it awesome. I was worried Icon's set was going to suck. I didn't like the first song, sounded remixed... But everything else, awesome. They were everything I hopped.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

sethsez posted:

I find it really, really hard to consider the band Pop Will Eat Itself if there's only one original member left and that member isn't Clint.
Well honestly I think Graham Crabb was a principle just as much as Clint was. I know what you mean, but I'll be just as happy to listen to it as long as it doesn't suck.

I still like Bently Rhythm Ace :shobon:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

deong posted:

Did you make this? Holy poo poo was it awesome. I was worried Icon's set was going to suck. I didn't like the first song, sounded remixed... But everything else, awesome. They were everything I hopped.

I did! Saw Dead Hand Project and IoC and loved them both. Having the final encore be Headhunter was fantastic. Did you catch what they said about this show being somebody's wedding present?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

boo_radley posted:

I did! Saw Dead Hand Project and IoC and loved them both. Having the final encore be Headhunter was fantastic. Did you catch what they said about this show being somebody's wedding present?

Hmm, I didn't. I couldn't understand poo poo when they talked though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

gently caress you, Germans <:mad:>

Project Pitchfork - Timekiller feat. Steve Naghavi live at M'Era Luna 2011

Why didn't this happen last year at Amphi :argh:

PS. Hedenius got your email maahhnn

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 16, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
I got my Dylan CD today! Thanks a bunch CAT rear end, my mom really loves it!

(also those tiny licorices you sent me are amazing. I love them half the time and then the other half they basically taste like a death threat.)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boo_radley posted:

I got my Dylan CD today! Thanks a bunch CAT rear end, my mom really loves it!

Was just thinking that it probably should get to you around this week. Anyway, my pleasure :) I'm always happy to help if someone is cool enough to want to make their momma happy. In the immortal words of Mr. T: "Treat your mother right!"

quote:

(also those tiny licorices you sent me are amazing. I love them half the time and then the other half they basically taste like a death threat.)

Haha, glad you found them interesting. Salmiakki / salted liquorice is super fuckin popular here in Finland and the rest of the northern Europe, but isn't that well known in the 'States as far as I know. Just wanted to give a fella a new experience now that there was a chance! Also you're kind of right about the death threat. Ammonium chloride, which is used to give the liquorice the salty taste is extremely poisonous when consumed (you'd have to eat an impossible amount of this stuff to get poisoned though) :)

Allllso goddamn you bastards were right about Tactical Neural Implant. Finally got my copy today, been Audiosurfing through it. Question: how the gently caress does one even go from releasing an album like Caustic Grip, which is alright I guess, to releasing something like TNI? What happened between these two records? And why do you release something like Millennium afterwards? I mean I'm all for developing your sound and experimenting which is obviously part of what happened between these albums, but just the overall quality of the material is astoundingly different. This is just so drat goooooooddddddddd.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 15, 2011

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Haha, glad you found them interesting. Salmiakki / salted liquorice is super fuckin popular here in Finland and the rest of the northern Europe, but isn't that well known in the 'States as far as I know. Just wanted to give a fella a new experience now that there was a chance!

Oh my: "Salmiakkikola, a salmiak-flavoured cola drink". I can't even imagine.

Allllso goddamn you bastards were right about Tactical Neural Implant. Finally got my copy today, been Audiosurfing through it. Question: how the gently caress does one go from releasing an album like Caustic Grip, which is alright I guess, to releasing something like TNI?
Late 80s/ early 90s were amazing times, man. It really was a golden age for the genre.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

PS. Hedenius throw me an email to tuntuva@yahoo.com sometime before the FLA gig next week so we can arrange some sick poo poo :wink:

There's just something about seeing a band like Project Pitchfork play in the middle of the day (even overcast) that just seems ... wrong. There are similar pictures of Puppy playing this same festival last year I think, and they look just as weird.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

PS. Hedenius throw me an email to tuntuva@yahoo.com sometime before the FLA gig next week so we can arrange some sick poo poo :wink:
I won't be able to make it before the gig. I double booked the 27:th. But I will be at debaser so we can meet up at the concert. I'll send you an email with my facebook.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

I won't be able to make it before the gig. I double booked the 27:th. But I will be at debaser so we can meet up at the concert. I'll send you an email with my facebook.

Yeah, answered you on Facebook!

In other news, got Project Pitchfork's Quantum Mechanics today. Having listened to it a couple of times now, I gotta say, this is definitely not as strong an album as Continuum Ride. There's definitely some amazing poo poo here, like The Queen of Time and Space and Splice, and the overall sound is fantastically skillfully done, but something's just missing here. Too much average material. It's a "very good" album, nothing more. I guess I just had my expectations waaayy too high after Continuum Ride, which is like my favorite PP album :(

The new Santa Hates You album, on the other hand, is totally unexpectedly loving awesome. I mean I liked Crucifix Powerbomb a lot and thought that that was a surprisingly good album, but goddrat. MAN. This is some tight rear end poo poo, I'm telling y'all, I'd even go as far as to say that it's better than Quantum Mechanics. Also, in case you didn't know, the last track Watch Out Motherfucker, I Know Karate! has Brian Gaupner on the vocals and is :krad:

e: I mean goddamn

Gaupner posted:

My martial arts are amazing / Even Van Damme says I'm his favorite / 'Cause I hella punch dudes with my first
I was identified as a youth at risk / but instead of magazine subscriptions / I went door-to-door peddling pain inflictions
Why you wanna mess with me? / I own Rush Hour 2 on DVD / I'll kick you in the chin with my feet while Jinxy throws a knife and Peter Spilles drops a beat

:laffo:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 17, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lead singer of Army of the Universe for some reason slapped me. He grabbed the hands of people near the front. I didn't have my hand up and the jackass loving slapped me.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

the last track Watch Out Motherfucker, I Know Karate! has Brian Gaupner on the vocals

Buying the poo poo out of it right now.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

teethgrinder posted:

Lead singer of Army of the Universe for some reason slapped me. He grabbed the hands of people near the front. I didn't have my hand up and the jackass loving slapped me.

Bahaha sorry but that's actually pretty funny. I know nothing about him or the band but they seemed pretty energetic-yet-humble at the Toronto KMFDM show. I was right in the front for most of the show and it was just hand-claps and the occasional shouting into the crowd from my pov.

Perhaps the lights were in his eyes? It gets ridiculously bright at times.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

He seemed a little apologetic after and said something about not being able to reach my hand. Whatever. It was ... unexpected.

KMFDM were much better than the first time I saw them. Very light on classics, but I enjoyed their new stuff all the same, surprisingly. I didn't mean to, but ended up in the pit for the first time in like a decade. It was good; I managed to get to the other side of the stage to take pictures from a different angle :D

I managed a picture of the setlist too:
  • Krank
  • Amnesia
  • Come On Go Off
  • Bait and Switch
  • Tohuvabohu
  • Dystopia
  • Potz Blitz
  • Looking for Strange
  • Spectre
  • Take It Like A Man
  • Megalomaniac
  • Lynchmob
  • Rebels in Kontrol
  • A Drug Against War
  • Attak/Reload
  • Hau Ruck
  • (break)
  • WW III
  • DIY
  • (break)
  • Day Of Light
  • Godlike

Lucia was stupidly loving hot. So KMFDM is a little bit samey nowadays... Sascha did the right thing marrying her.

I won't have time to process photos until next week unfortunately.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

Lucia was stupidly loving hot. So KMFDM is a little bit samey nowadays... Sascha did the right thing marrying her.

I say goddrat. Say what you want about their new direction, but I'll forever love Lucia for "Last Things." That song is the one thing I keep coming back to post Adios from them. "Superhero" is a pale second.

lf9000
Feb 16, 2008
I just got back from KMFDM in Boston at the Royale. My second time seeing KMFDM (first was house of blues Boston in 09). I have to say this show was utterly amazing. Andy the drummer has a hosed up hand and played with one arm. Great show! Much better than the first time i saw them.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Say what you will about WTF?! (personally I think it's easily the strongest KMFDM album since WWIII) but I really dig how they're playing nearly everything off it. Gives me a feeling that the band has confidence in their new material, whatever a certain part of their fanbase might say about it.

I think I'm gonna have to start planning another trip to Stockholm this year, seeing as Finland isn't one of their stops on this tour :negative:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 18, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the more electronic direction KMFDM has been going in, but then my faovirte KMFDM album is Symbols, soooooo

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!
I'd like WTF?! even if it wasn't a good album, because otherwise I wouldn't know that kidneythieves is putting out new material again. It IS good though, one of my favorites to go running with.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I like my KMFDM the way I like my EBM - old school

(okay, I don't like most of UAIOE)

Police Academy 6
Jul 12, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Regardless of the douchebaggery, this statement is real? In Detroit, Funker Vogt always packs the floor.

there's still an industrial scene in detroit? i saw apop in pontiac in 2009 and there was NOBODY THERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I like the more electronic direction KMFDM has been going in, but then my faovirte KMFDM album is Symbols, soooooo

Yeah I actually didn't bother listening to WTF?! before the concert because KMFDM has been pretty lackluster but WTF?! is pretty solid. Reminds me of Symbols and Adios, which are two of my fav albums by them.