Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

302 posted:

What texture pack is this? I remember seeing it in the old thread too, but it's not in the OP.

It's Sphax PureBDCraft, which I found in the OP of the modding thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I managed to get an XOR gate working for my piston based bridge for my lava moat, and now I feel like I've pretty much won Minecraft. I suppose I could start a new world, but I'm rather fond of the one I've been using. Maybe I'll just wait until whenever they release the update with NPC villages and stuff like that.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So I'm sure it has come up plenty in the past threads, but I've never seen it directly asked. How many builders are there involved in the Yogscast videos? And who plays all of the 'NPCs'? It sort of seemed like earlier on maybe Old_Peculier and Daisy_Dukes were the same person, and there still aren't that many active players on screen at once. The most I can recall was like, maybe three during the Battle of the Breach, and after Knight_Peculier gets his balls back I don't think there were as many mob lieutenants with Israphel.

I find the amount of planning and backroom work necessary for that show fascinating. It is no wonder they need to pad it out so much with Adventure Maps (not that those videos aren't great).

Rabbi Vole
Jul 19, 2003

muppet buttock

A Sassy Dog posted:

So I'm sure it has come up plenty in the past threads, but I've never seen it directly asked. How many builders are there involved in the Yogscast videos? And who plays all of the 'NPCs'? It sort of seemed like earlier on maybe Old_Peculier and Daisy_Dukes were the same person, and there still aren't that many active players on screen at once. The most I can recall was like, maybe three during the Battle of the Breach, and after Knight_Peculier gets his balls back I don't think there were as many mob lieutenants with Israphel.

I find the amount of planning and backroom work necessary for that show fascinating. It is no wonder they need to pad it out so much with Adventure Maps (not that those videos aren't great).

My favorite part of the Israphel videos is all the insane poo poo they build, honestly. I really hope they release their 'sets' as a map when the series is over, because I'd love to look around. There were plenty of things in the background that we never even saw- in the carnival, for example. I know I've heard somebody talk about making an adventure map out of it, but I'd be happy just to wander around looking at the architecture and reading signs :shobon:

Particularly in the later episodes, I do sort of get the feeling that some of the NPCs are silently on vent with them. It would be really difficult to do things smoothly otherwise.

So yeah, I'm crossing my fingers for a lot of 'behind the scenes' bonus DVD material, basically.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I've been away from Minecraft since 1.6 game out so I'm way behind on everything. Is the NPC villages thing just Millenaire added to the stock game or are they doing something different with it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Okay, so I set up a redstone circuit repeater... thing, and it's hooked up to pistons so that they open and close on their own. The problem is that I want the pistons to stay open longer than like one second. Help?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

smg77 posted:

I've been away from Minecraft since 1.6 game out so I'm way behind on everything. Is the NPC villages thing just Millenaire added to the stock game or are they doing something different with it?

Something completely different. Not much is known about the NPC's so far.

edit:

Macaluso posted:

Okay, so I set up a redstone circuit repeater... thing, and it's hooked up to pistons so that they open and close on their own. The problem is that I want the pistons to stay open longer than like one second. Help?

Screenshots? Do you want the pistons to stay on longer when you push a button, or longer when they are automatically toggled?

tinaun fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 13, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

tinaun posted:

Screenshots? Do you want the pistons to stay on longer when you push a button, or longer when they are automatically toggled?

Automatically toggled.

Here's the set up I have based around some youtube video I found on making them repeat. I want that piston over there to stay open longer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can extend the duration of a pulse with an arrangement like

code:

OUT
    |
 ___|__
 |     |
 R     R
 R     |
 |_____|
    |
   IN

Where 'R' is repeaters. Set the pause on the left two to maximum and the pause on the right to minimum. Two repeaters is the most you can do in a single branch like this without breaking it but you can repeat the whole thing again if you want to.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Or for even longer you can do something like this. It splits the initial pulse into 4 separate ones:

(don't copy my repeater settings because they aren't tweaked at all)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Schweinhund posted:

Or for even longer you can do something like this. It splits the initial pulse into 4 separate ones:

(don't copy my repeater settings because they aren't tweaked at all)

Wouldn't you be able to keep the function with just the top four repeaters or am I missing something?

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Macaluso posted:

I want that piston over there to stay open longer.

The best way to do this is with a monostable circuit. There are several designs here in the wiki that can be easily expanded.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits#Monostable_Circuit

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Boiled Water posted:

Wouldn't you be able to keep the function with just the top four repeaters or am I missing something?

That will just delay the input. This sustains it. By the time the lowest is done, the next up is active and so on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Awesome, thanks for all your help guys :)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Boiled Water posted:

no but you probably could take out one of the rows in the middle. e: Lallander's way is probably more lag-proof.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What's the best way to clear out a lot of ground for building? Usually there are so many trees, and to get rid of a tree you have to cut apart every part of it. Even managing a diamond axe into my inventory, it's time consuming. Is there a better way, or should I just use some kind of build editor tool?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yonic Symbolism posted:

What's the best way to clear out a lot of ground for building? Usually there are so many trees, and to get rid of a tree you have to cut apart every part of it. Even managing a diamond axe into my inventory, it's time consuming. Is there a better way, or should I just use some kind of build editor tool?

world edit/single player commands is the easiest way. single player commands you can give yourself instant mining, so blocks are destroyed in one hit, and world edit you can just erase tons of blocks at once.

edit: also TNT

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

You could set them on fire.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
This is probably ancient news to everyone else, but I only just noticed it in one of the recent Yogscast videos - using ladders under water blocks to make jumping from even the greatest heights totally safe.

The setup is this:

Now we just need a nice, high platform to test it from. This should do.

In action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e1Sz6dbuK0

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
If you use signs instead of ladders, you won't risk the chance of falling on the ladder and hurting yourself anyway. This makes 1-block water-breaks more viable, rather than the 2x2 you made. Efficiency! :eng101:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

This is probably ancient news to everyone else, but I only just noticed it in one of the recent Yogscast videos - using ladders under water blocks to make jumping from even the greatest heights totally safe.

The setup is this:

In action:

I noticed that too! I was thinking that, in theory, you could put ladders ontop of that water, then lava ontop of that, and basically have a pit full of lava that you can fall through with minimal damage (???).

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Rabbi Vole posted:

I really hope they release their 'sets' as a map when the series is over, because I'd love to look around. There were plenty of things in the background that we never even saw- in the carnival, for example. I know I've heard somebody talk about making an adventure map out of it, but I'd be happy just to wander around looking at the architecture and reading signs :shobon:
I'm pretty sure the Yogscast Museum server is a public server where you could do exactly that, but it seems to be offline right now.

Suddenly Tentacles
Sep 14, 2008
Alright. Who's responsible for this?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Does the '2x2 square of infinite water' trick work with lava as well?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zero Star posted:

Does the '2x2 square of infinite water' trick work with lava as well?

Nope. You've got a finite amount of lava to work with. Well, insomuch as anything in Minecraft is finite.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
No, no infinite lava alas.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've been having a very odd problem: Minecraft runs like poo poo on my laptop (not odd). But when I press F3 to bring up the coordinates and whatnot, my FPS shoots way up. Does anybody have any idea why this happens, or how I can get Minecraft to run properly and still have access to my entire screen?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been having a very odd problem: Minecraft runs like poo poo on my laptop (not odd). But when I press F3 to bring up the coordinates and whatnot, my FPS shoots way up. Does anybody have any idea why this happens, or how I can get Minecraft to run properly and still have access to my entire screen?

I've run into the same problem on my pc* from time to time and it does the same thing. I always assumed that the game shifting into neutral. On a menu, the player cant be moving to load/unload chunks. I'm saying this metaphorically, I dont know exactly what's going on under the hood.

* - Running dual monitors; full screen movie on one and full screen minecraft on the other. Usually its ok, but if I try to stop minecraft to get to vlc player the whole thing crashes hard.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rack posted:

I've run into the same problem on my pc* from time to time and it does the same thing. I always assumed that the game shifting into neutral. On a menu, the player cant be moving to load/unload chunks. I'm saying this metaphorically, I dont know exactly what's going on under the hood.
Well I can still move, break blocks, pick things up, etc. I just can't see most of the screen because of the big memory graph in the way. But it makes the game run much more smoothly.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well I can still move, break blocks, pick things up, etc. I just can't see most of the screen because of the big memory graph in the way. But it makes the game run much more smoothly.

Oh poo poo I read that completely wrong. Sorry.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I've never done much with redstone before, so I'm really proud of the piston-activated sunroof I installed on this skellington dungeon.

This is on Shaqshead, an unmodded, no-cheats private server with just a small handful of players. I might post screenshots of some of the buildings on it later, maybe when I finish my current project.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr
So our server wants to refresh the map when 1.8 hits, but something has struck me - surely we cannot search for interesting seeds before 1.8, as those seeds will not contain any of the new geographical stuff?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Blawrf posted:

So our server wants to refresh the map when 1.8 hits, but something has struck me - surely we cannot search for interesting seeds before 1.8, as those seeds will not contain any of the new geographical stuff?

Well, since the map gen will have changed any seeds you find will generate a completely different map once 1.8 drops.

Blawrf
Oct 10, 2009

Hi, I'm Blawrf, and you can dock in my station anytime~~

Rowwr

Emong posted:

Well, since the map gen will have changed any seeds you find will generate a completely different map once 1.8 drops.

Ah, so the old classic 'gargamel' will, for instance, gen something completely different?

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Blawrf posted:

Ah, so the old classic 'gargamel' will, for instance, gen something completely different?

I would guess it will still gen the same valley, although with the new terrain features added in. Maybe there'll be a chasm in it, maybe there's a river. We'll have to wait and see.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Sharay posted:

I would guess it will still gen the same valley, although with the new terrain features added in. Maybe there'll be a chasm in it, maybe there's a river. We'll have to wait and see.

Seeing as he has changed biomes (which changed the level gen before to cause places to be completely different it may just be changed and we have to search for the newest epic seed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gorilla Salad posted:

The setup is this:

You don't even need that water there. The ladders will catch you automatically.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

I haven't actually gotten around to buying Minecraft yet, but I'd figure this would be the place to ask.

Is anyone going to be buying a copy this weekend with the b2g1 thing going on? I'd pay half of the 20 or whatever.

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Tw1tchy posted:

I noticed that too! I was thinking that, in theory, you could put ladders ontop of that water, then lava ontop of that, and basically have a pit full of lava that you can fall through with minimal damage (???).

This causes 2 damage and you are not on fire afterwards. I added the sign next to the water just so you could see it clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaktai
Apr 18, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

The setup is this:

In action:

It's more safe to use signs instead of ladders. If you are near the wall you could land on top of the ladders and die from the fall. You will however pass right through any sign.

I used this in my latest mine, works perfectly.