Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

japtor posted:

OS X was pretty mature by then, the thing you got right was just coming in later than a lot of us :v:.

So… if we're conceding that later versions of OS X, let's say from 10.5 onward, are more stable in their 10.x.0 incarnation than 10.0.0, 10.1.0, etc., then why is it even being posted that 10.7.0 is buggy, crashy, unstable, etc? Where is this coming from? Are people just experiencing problems with specific apps that may or may not have been updated for Lion, and just blanket blaming Lion because that's the most recent thing on their system that changed?

Makes zero sense to me, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Terpfen posted:

So… if we're conceding that later versions of OS X, let's say from 10.5 onward, are more stable in their 10.x.0 incarnation than 10.0.0, 10.1.0, etc., then why is it even being posted that 10.7.0 is buggy, crashy, unstable, etc? Where is this coming from? Are people just experiencing problems with specific apps that may or may not have been updated for Lion, and just blanket blaming Lion because that's the most recent thing on their system that changed?

There's been people experiencing bugs using stock OSX apps on fresh Lion installs.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Any recommendations for something that will function as a DLNA server on 10.7? I thought iTunes had the capability, but it appears to only be a client. Any suggestions?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

wwb posted:

Any recommendations for something that will function as a DLNA server on 10.7? I thought iTunes had the capability, but it appears to only be a client. Any suggestions?

I'm interested in this as well. My wife and I are trying our best to centralize our media for streaming throughout the house (PS3 in the living room, Apple TV with XBMC in the bedroom, computers in each of our office..), and while I have a Linux server that's working well for video, my wife greatly prefers managing her music library using iTunes.

So I guess we'll keep her music on her Mac Mini, but everything else on the Linux box, but we need a way access that music everywhere else. I know ATV can talk to iTunes somehow, but I'm pretty sure the PS3 can't. A DLNA server would probably work best.

Edit: 10.7 here as well

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flyboi posted:

I had a sawtooth with blazing fast 2GB PC133 ram hacked in w/ overclock so it ran at 500MHz on a 450MHz proc and a reflashed TNT2. God did it suck trying to use OSX on that fucker but I felt like such a badass.
I had a 8500/120 upgraded to a G3/300 and that ran OS X until 2003 (when I got my G5) I think. That thing was in use since 1995 or so.

2GB? I had 80MB :smug:
(it wasn't my main machine though, just a server)

Martytoof posted:

I'll give this a shot this weekend, thanks.
If Soundflower doesn't work, I thought Audio Hijack could do that stuff before...or something else I can't remember :(.

Terpfen posted:

More stable doesn't mean 100% stable. 10.7 is buggy/crashy/unstable for some people, just as 10.5 and 10.6 were, but it's not happening to everyone.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Does anyone else notice that when they use the gesture in Safari to go forward or backwards in the tabs history, that the image quality looks like a badly compressed JPG until the page finishes loading up?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
For any cooks out there: we've just shipped the Mac version of Paprika Recipe Manager. It requires Lion, and Mac users can create free cloud sync accounts to automatically sync their data with the iPhone/iPad versions of the app.

This one was tough, the OS X developer APIs aren't nearly as nice as the iOS versions, we ended up deciding to go Lion only halfway through development because the 10.6 APIs were even more difficult.

Edit - Screenshot is kind of weird looking, but apparently I can't change it once it is uploaded. Oh well!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NoDamage fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 13, 2011

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Crush posted:

Does anyone else notice that when they use the gesture in Safari to go forward or backwards in the tabs history, that the image quality looks like a badly compressed JPG until the page finishes loading up?

I do, and it's pretty annoying. It usually takes about a full second or longer for it to swap out the image with the actual page, and during that time the page is totally non-interactive, but there's no indication of that being the case other than the lovely jpeg compression.

DeGooninator
Sep 10, 2005

by Lowtax

wolffenstein posted:

If you want Windows-based acceleration, install MS IntelliPoint for Mac software.

That didn't work. I did finally try ControllerMate and that worked great. It takes couple of minutes to figure it out but it lets you do some ridiculous customization for any input device.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crush posted:

The only time I noticed it is in YOSPOS, probably due to the high contrast. Otherwise I guess my machine swaps them quickly enough or I do the gesture fast enough not to notice.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

NoDamage posted:

For any cooks out there: we've just shipped the Mac version of Paprika Recipe Manager. It requires Lion, and Mac users can create free cloud sync accounts to automatically sync their data with the iPhone/iPad versions of the app.

This one was tough, the OS X developer APIs aren't nearly as nice as the iOS versions, we ended up deciding to go Lion only halfway through development because the 10.6 APIs were even more difficult.

Edit - Screenshot is kind of weird looking, but apparently I can't change it once it is uploaded. Oh well!

I have been waiting for a recipe app that syncs between iOS and Mac OS X ever since iPad came out. I'm still waiting for that promised Sous Chef with syncing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for releasing a Mac app. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Edit: What's the best way to import from SousChef? Looks like Paprika doesn't want to do anything with its Virtual Recipe Card files.

x-virge fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 13, 2011

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

x-virge posted:

I have been waiting for a recipe app that syncs between iOS and Mac OS X ever since iPad came out. I'm still waiting for that promised Sous Chef with syncing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for releasing a Mac app. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Edit: What's the best way to import from SousChef? Looks like Paprika doesn't want to do anything with its Virtual Recipe Card files.
Hmm, we don't support SousChef importing at the moment. If you don't mind emailing a sample recipe file to contact@paprikaapp.com I'll take a look at it and see if we can add importing support to our next update.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ikillhostages posted:

That didn't work.

You have to intall it and select the right option in the prefpane.

Edit: although maybe it only works with a microsoft mouse.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 14, 2011

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is there any software out there that is compatible with Lion that will allow me to demux a WMV? I have tried MPEG Streamclip and Avidemux2 so far. The first doesn't support WMV and the second crashes upon launch.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Crush posted:

This is seriously one of the reasons I went back to Chrome after using the new Safari for a day. I know the whole "ONCE YOU SEE IT, YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT" thing is cliched (what up fedex arrow), but seriously, that was setting off all sorts of OCD in me. Gross.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm trying to set up my new MBA to do Time Machine backups wirelessly. I have a Windows 7 HTPC and I have my Time Machine drive attached to it, running MacDrive so Windows can see it. I have the drive's root shared across the network via SMB, and my Mac can see it. I did the hack to allow unsupported volumes in Time Machine, and it will let me select the drive. But when it tries to back up, it says the drive does not support the necessary AFP features. My laptop is running Lion.

I know I did this in the past when I was running Windows Home Server on my old box, but I can't figure out what's not working. Is there some sort of implementation of AFP that can be run on Windows to enable this, or did I set up the permissions wrong on the share?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

But when it tries to back up, it says the drive does not support the necessary AFP features. My laptop is running Lion.

Lion now enforces the AFP requirements Apple specified for Time Machine.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Anal Volcano posted:

This is seriously one of the reasons I went back to Chrome after using the new Safari for a day. I know the whole "ONCE YOU SEE IT, YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT" thing is cliched (what up fedex arrow), but seriously, that was setting off all sorts of OCD in me. Gross.

So, how about that flash of a plain white page that WebKit does every time you click a link or refresh the site you're looking at?

I don't even see a preview when looking for it, the page just loads.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Neurophonic posted:

So, how about that flash of a plain white page that WebKit does every time you click a link or refresh the site you're looking at?

I don't even see a preview when looking for it, the page just loads.

I dunno, with the flash I have to be actively looking for it/thinking about it. The compression used on page swiping is so bad that I seriously notice it almost every time, especially when it's a mostly-white page (i.e. 80% of the internet)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any third party app or some voodoo I can do to turn off the MacBook Pro display when I have an external monitor plugged in? And I mean literally turn off, not just turn down the brightness. I don't want my system to have the faintest clue there are other displays around other than my Cinema HD.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any third party app or some voodoo I can do to turn off the MacBook Pro display when I have an external monitor plugged in? And I mean literally turn off, not just turn down the brightness. I don't want my system to have the faintest clue there are other displays around other than my Cinema HD.
Can you just close the lid with InsomniaX installed or do you still need to use the keyboard and trackpad?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Can you just close the lid with InsomniaX installed or do you still need to use the keyboard and trackpad?
I have a usb keyboard and mouse I use, and in SL I used to be able to shut down the MBP display by closing the lid, then moving the mouse/pressing a key until the external monitor turned on, then opening the MBP lid. But in Lion, doing this instantly wakes up the MBP display. Normally this wouldn't be a problem since, hey, two monitors but the thing is that it makes the graphics card work overtime having to draw two displays at once. In games there's a massive performance loss; I get half the framerate I normally do, and some games such as WoW overheat the graphics card and that causes a complete lockup of the system.

I tried playing the games on the MacBook Pro itself, with no external monitor attached and the games ran perfectly fine. I'd put the MBP in permanent clamshell mode but it messes with WiFi and basically blocks the vents, again causing overheating. :bang:

I've googled the hell out of this and posted on Apple's forums and sent bug reports, so the only hope I have right now is some 3rd party app that would allow me to kill the MBP display when the lid is up. Also, some people on Apple's forums have resorted to using magnets in order to 'fool' the MBP to think the lid is closed but I don't feel all that comfortable doing that. Yet.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't lift the MBP lid?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The MBP doesn't have vents on the inside of the clamshell, does it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Don't lift the MBP lid?
He's gaming, so he might be afraid of it overheating.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Doctor Zero posted:

The MBP doesn't have vents on the inside of the clamshell, does it?
Sorry, I should've mentioned that it's a 2007 unibody MBP, where the vents are basically where the speakers are, and they get covered up when the lid is closed.

He's gaming, so he might be afraid of it overheating.
In fact, I can confirm that having the lid closed while playing ramps up the temperatures pretty significantly. And it makes my WiFi very choppy as well. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I used a 15" Powerbook G4 (aka Firebooks) in closed clamshell mode for a couple years without problems. Yeah it got really hot and my room became an oven and I could hear the fans from the kitchen but it wasn't damaged. I thought all Macbook Pros were designed to be used this way?

Is your 2007 model the one where they put a shitload of thermal paste on it, causing it to overheat?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Is your 2007 model the one where they put a shitload of thermal paste on it, causing it to overheat?
It's the 3,1 Core 2 Duo model. I don't know anything about the thermal paste stuff, but I do know that this model was shipped with a faulty Nvidia chipset (which they fixed for free at my local third party Apple retailer and it's been fine ever since). But it does get hot, even with the lid open, so much so that I'm almost sure it would start melting or cause some kind of damage in heavy use with the lid closed.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

So, I finally picked up an iPad. I know the iPad 3/HD/2S/whatever is coming out as soon as next month, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't wait any longer. I've spent most of this evening trying to convert some MKV files to iPad format through Handbrake, but when I attempt to load them on the iPad through iTunes, I get an error saying that the iPad doesn't support the newly-encoded MP4.

Finally, the Mac-related part of this post: what's a good OS X app to convert MKV to MP4/M4V (convert, not re-encode)? Google is SEO-raped and totally useless these days.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Terpfen posted:

Finally, the Mac-related part of this post: what's a good OS X app to convert MKV to MP4/M4V (convert, not re-encode)? Google is SEO-raped and totally useless these days.
Try mp4tools.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Terpfen posted:

So, I finally picked up an iPad. I know the iPad 3/HD/2S/whatever is coming out as soon as next month, but for a variety of reasons I couldn't wait any longer. I've spent most of this evening trying to convert some MKV files to iPad format through Handbrake, but when I attempt to load them on the iPad through iTunes, I get an error saying that the iPad doesn't support the newly-encoded MP4.

Did you select iPad from the presets menu on the right in Handbrake? No reason Handbrake shouldn't work.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I opened my big dumb mouth about installing Lion OSX and my now my brother wants it on his Mac.

It's a 17" MacBook Pro 4.1
2.5ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb of Ram.
But it's running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard?)

Is it worth upgrading that to Lion? Also, you can install Lion directly on top of that, with a USB stick, right?

I've read about how to make the USB stick and I'm re-downloading Lion from my Mac. Anyone have experience upgrading from something that isn't Snow Leopard?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Disgustipated posted:

Did you select iPad from the presets menu on the right in Handbrake? No reason Handbrake shouldn't work.

Yes, I did. I tried both the iPad preset and downscaling the Apple TV 2 preset. Got the error both times.

Try mp4tools.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. Any special instructions I need to follow or is it fairly straightforward?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mex posted:

I opened my big dumb mouth about installing Lion OSX and my now my brother wants it on his Mac.

It's a 17" MacBook Pro 4.1
2.5ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gb of Ram.
But it's running Mac OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard?)

Is it worth upgrading that to Lion? Also, you can install Lion directly on top of that, with a USB stick, right?

I've read about how to make the USB stick and I'm re-downloading Lion from my Mac. Anyone have experience upgrading from something that isn't Snow Leopard?

You'd have to wipe it and do a clean install. Far as I know, you can only upgrade Snow Leopard. And sure, it would run Lion, although it would run better with 4gb.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Doctor Zero posted:

You'd have to wipe it and do a clean install. Far as I know, you can only upgrade Snow Leopard. And sure, it would run Lion, although it would run better with 4gb.

Hmm, keeping his random stuff and homework is probably important, so we're probably going to look for a Snow Leopard disc or something so we can upgrade, thanks! =)

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

Mex posted:

Hmm, keeping his random stuff and homework is probably important, so we're probably going to look for a Snow Leopard disc or something so we can upgrade, thanks! =)

Buy an external hard drive while you're at it, so you can keep a backup.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I updated Flash and restarted Safari, and now I can't hear youtube when my headphones are selected as the sound device.

I can hear other sounds in my headphones.
I can hear youtube fine on other speakers.
Using the html5 youtube demo makes no difference, so I don't think I can blame it on flash. (Yes, I checked to make sure it actually was an html5 video and not a flash one.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is it normal for iTunes to freeze for a second when Time Machine is starting to backup files?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

computer parts posted:

Is it normal for iTunes to freeze for a second when Time Machine is starting to backup files?
It's normal for most actions to skip, slow down or pause. It's doing a mount of the Time Machine backup device, and if you have a slow disk (or if it's over the network), the filesystem has to wait for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

On the other hand, I've never had iTunes stop playing for music for me for something less than something that lead to a kernel panic. If my computer locks up but doesn't kernel panic usually the music will play without skipping until the end of the track for me until control is restored and iTunes loads up the next track.

So in my opinion (also using Time Machine, on an USB drive) it doesn't sound right.