Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

You Are A Elf posted:

To get on topic, why is Taco Bell using The Flying Lizards' "Money (That's What I Want)" in their newest ad? I get that they want to because of the repeated lyric "that's what I want," but whenever I see this commercial, all I can think of is Taco Bell wanting my money.

I just wish it didn't play literally every commercial break for every show on comedy central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
"Oh I know you ain't touching my Mannequin."

:what:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Thorias posted:

Even worse, they bought two ad spots in a row to run both of these lovely ads in succession. The whole campaign is terrible, but then again I don't know if I can even think of an Axe ad I ever liked.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Thorias posted:

This one drives me crazy too, but then again every Axe ad ever made pulls some variation of that poo poo. The part that always gets me about those commercials is the demo where they advise you to basically completely douse yourself in the stuff ("under your arms and across your chest :downs: " )

At that point you're going to leave a cloud of Axe behind you everywhere you go. Which I guess is the point?

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
There is no commercial worse than http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh67uyFK-R0 I didn't see it posted before (probably missed it), and am honestly baffled

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Chrome tells me I've seen it before. Probably in the old thread?

What the gently caress is he squawking for at the end? Either way, he does not compare to Squeeky.

mearn posted:

Old Navy has some terrible ads all the time, but their latest round of song parody ads are terrible.

And this one in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLv2in866rM
What. The. gently caress.

That led me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3_fH9HXXY

Everyone should have pockets that fit things. :mad: (though they probably shouldn't wear cotton sackcloth like that guy does)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Doc Hawkins posted:

That led me to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3_fH9HXXY

Everyone should have pockets that fit things. :mad: (though they probably shouldn't wear cotton sackcloth like that guy does)
Is Old Navy suggesting that my clothes... shouldn't have pockets, not only "go" with one specific outfit, and be machine washable? Because that's pretty much the baseline of what I expect from any item of clothing.

mexicanmonkey
Nov 17, 2005

FIESTA TIME
Old Navy is the only clothing company I can think of whose ads make me refuse to shop there. I don't understand who they're trying to appeal to with the majority of their ads. Moms/Grandmothers I guess?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder whether re-airing old commercials would be a decent marketing strategy. I think that the Frito Bandito and Burger King were pretty clever. There have been some "classic" products in their original style of packaging around lately, so I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well to put out the old ads, too.

And didn't this Coke commercial go viral back in its day? Maybe it'd work today.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can't stand that Geico commercial where the 3 office nerds are doing dumb poo poo with their smartphones. I just want to drop kick them all.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

vyst posted:

I can't stand that Geico commercial where the 3 office nerds are doing dumb poo poo with their smartphones. I just want to drop kick them all.

I find every single one of Geico's "rhetorical question" commercials extremely irritating, so you're not alone.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

vyst posted:

At my last office job we had a manager complain that some people in cubicles (that were located at the other end of the room) were talking too loud and she could hear them in her office. Those three fucksticks wouldn't have lasted a day there. :colbert:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

vyst posted:

What do you have against the brother with the brostache? <:mad:>

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I find every single one of Geico's "rhetorical question" commercials extremely irritating, so you're not alone.

The only one I liked was the little piggy who went "weeee" all the way home.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Are you the Devil?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's the worst one, ugh.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Really the only one you can like is the Randy Johnson one where he owns that dude.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's the worst one, ugh.

I actually kind of liked it after a local radio host briefly made the "wee wee weeeeeeeeeeee" and "Thanks, Mrs. A" into a catchphrase. But only in that context, I hated seeing it on TV.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Hey Pediasure: gently caress off.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Thorias posted:

The commercials aren't the worst part. The stuff smells like rear end. Had a friend whose girlfriend apparently loved it, and she'd douse him in it every once in awhile. Ugh.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

RaspberryCommie posted:

The commercials aren't the worst part. The stuff smells like rear end. Had a friend whose girlfriend apparently loved it, and she'd douse him in it every once in awhile. Ugh.

So Axe works, then?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Are you the Devil?

I like the reaction of the family more so than the pig.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Oh come on the dog and cat in the 70's car chase was funny

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RaspberryCommie posted:

I don't know, I like some of it. Not the greatest stuff out there but I think "smells like rear end" is pushing it. But like I said before, if you use it the way the company directs you to (which I suspect the average Axe user probably does) you'll be walking around in your own personal cloud of Axe all day. If you go easy on it, the stuff's not bad.

That said it's never once made me feel like coming on to a mannequin or practically assaulting some guy at a party so I can smell his hair. Weird.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

NaturalLow posted:

This one drives me crazy too, but then again every Axe ad ever made pulls some variation of that poo poo. The part that always gets me about those commercials is the demo where they advise you to basically completely douse yourself in the stuff ("under your arms and across your chest :downs: " )

At that point you're going to leave a cloud of Axe behind you everywhere you go. Which I guess is the point?

At least they quit using the phrase "double pits to chesty" which just makes me want to punch any living thing in my vicinity.

And yeah, it's been a long time since I was in high school but I remember it being a phase where people just spray themselves with a giant cloud of whatever kind of cologne they have because they don't know any better (I was one of those people, but at least Polo Sport smelled kind of nice).

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder whether re-airing old commercials would be a decent marketing strategy. I think that the Frito Bandito and Burger King were pretty clever. There have been some "classic" products in their original style of packaging around lately, so I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well to put out the old ads, too.

And didn't this Coke commercial go viral back in its day? Maybe it'd work today.

Orrrr.... maybe not.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 14, 2011

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

vyst posted:

I laughed at this loving commercial ONCE, because my father's jolly laughter is infectious. He took this as a cue to repeat "Can a gentleman with a bro 'stache get an invite to this party?" EVERY. DAY.

I'm running out of polite chuckles.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Geico needs to just suck it up and do a 'Does a bear poo poo in the woods?' commercial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

raditts posted:

At least they quit using the phrase "double pits to chesty" which just makes me want to punch any living thing in my vicinity.

Aw man, gently caress you for making me remember that loving phrase. I had it completely erradicated from my memory until now. :argh:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

raditts posted:

"double pits to chesty"

HE KILLED IT!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

mexicanmonkey posted:

Old Navy is the only clothing company I can think of whose ads make me refuse to shop there. I don't understand who they're trying to appeal to with the majority of their ads. Moms/Grandmothers I guess?

I buy stuff from there because t-shirts are usually pretty good quality and cheap, and their jeans aren't terrible. However, I refuse to watch their commercials, and if ever asked I would let them know that I shop there in spite of their lovely advertising, not because of it. I have no idea who the demographic is either.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Geico needs to just suck it up and do a 'Does a bear poo poo in the woods?' commercial.

"Is the Pope Catholic?" *Cuts to Pope* Pope: "Si."

GEICO.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The entire Charmin bear ad campaign beat them to that concept.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

SpazmasterX posted:

"Is the Pope Catholic?" *Cuts to Pope* Pope: "Si."

GEICO.

Does the Pope poo poo in the woods?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Speaking of Geico commericals, I don't know what one of the new ones is getting at, I would've loved a robot day care when I was a kid.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
While we're on the topic of the Geico commercials, I am so loving tired of those goddamn Cavemen. My sympathy for you ran out about the five hundredth time I watched you bitch and complain about that 'so easy even a badadaseragagea' I can't even type it without becoming enraged anymore. You want it to stop applying to you? Get a loving haircut and a shave! :argh: Shut the gently caress up about it! We don't care anymore!

VVV You're probably right, but they showed it so many loving times that just thinking about them makes me angry.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 15, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I thought that was the point: they're so put out by the "racism" they face, when actually they're just reskinned SoCal Upper-Middle-Class White Guys who take their ~feelings~ too seriously.

If you've ever asked who was the target market for their tv show: it was totally me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have an odd commercial question, I've noticed that a couple of different companies have started using Youtube footage. Are they paying people for these?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

NaturalLow posted:

The entire Charmin bear ad campaign beat them to that concept.

So that's why they use bears... :doh:

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Mozi posted:

So that's why they use bears... :doh:

Well, that and I've always heard bears uses trees to wipe their asses on, so it's ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

muscles like this? posted:

I have an odd commercial question, I've noticed that a couple of different companies have started using Youtube footage. Are they paying people for these?

Wasn't there something recently about how it's legal to use tweets about products in commercials without paying? Maybe this falls under the same thing?