Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Try mp4tools.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mp4tools/mp4toolshome.html

Okay, so I gave MP4Tools' pass-through settings a try. It wound up creating an 8GB movie file that wouldn't sync with the iPad. What am I missing?

In the interim, I found iFlicks, and re-encoding with the Apple TV 2 presets creates an iPad-compatible ~720p video. Problem: it takes for-Goddamn-ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
My MBP screen turns on after about 3 minutes of dimming the screen completely off. No specific behavior nor InsomniaX or anything, it just happens. Any idea? I'm on 10.6.8

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Steiler Drep posted:

My MBP screen turns on after about 3 minutes of dimming the screen completely off. No specific behavior nor InsomniaX or anything, it just happens. Any idea? I'm on 10.6.8

Is it set to automatically adjust brightness based on ambient light?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Lazyhound posted:

Is it set to automatically adjust brightness based on ambient light?

Nope, only the keyboard is

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

NoDamage posted:

For any cooks out there: we've just shipped the Mac version of Paprika Recipe Manager. It requires Lion, and Mac users can create free cloud sync accounts to automatically sync their data with the iPhone/iPad versions of the app.

I'm really enjoying this, I've got it on my Mac (for finding and setting up meal plans and adding recipes), iPad for use as a cookbook, iPhone for grocery shopping.

There are a couple of things I'd like to see in the future versions.

* Full screen on Mac - I like to be able to swipe to full screen apps.

* Add ability to categorize ingredients on the grocery list - having to scroll through each recipe over and over to make sure I've gotten everything from a section of the market is a bit cumbersome. I can live with seeing multiples of the same item (i.e. 2 green peppers on this recipe, 1 green pepper on this one), but it would be nice if I could see them all under a produce category so I can check them both off quickly.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Can I disable the fullscreen animation and just make it instant?

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Has anybody been having problems with system-wide audio on Lion? I currently have Flash 10.3.183.5 installed and it seems that whenever I use flash for a while (ie. youtube,) my system's audio will eventually die out, forcing me to restart. I think it's most-precedent with Chrome and flash. My primary browser is Firefox and I don't seem to have issues with that, but occasionally I'll use flash on Chromium, which might be causing the problem. It's really annoying because Adium will hang whenever I send or receive IM's because it's trying to play the audio notifications but can't... whenever this happens, coreaudiod and Adium's CPU % will spike for a couple of seconds.

Heck, it could be Adium or Songbird causing this problem, but I honestly don't know how or when the hell this happens because I haven't determined a solid correlation yet. :(

On top of this, I also can't play video files or audio files on ANY application. I can skip around the video/song, but the progress bar will just stay where I clicked and there will be no playback. After song playing around, I came across this result:

Right now, I'm having the issue I'm describing. I tried playing audio on Songbird and no dice, but I've noticed that whenever I change my volume, the audio 'bubble' sound will lag a bit (even though the audio in my other apps aren't working.) With this in mind, I tried playing a song on Songbird immediately after changing my volume, and it worked. I then restarted Adium, and its audio is now working too! It might have to do with the audio hardware going to sleep after 1 minute.

Any ideas? I've never had this problem pre-Lion...

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 18, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

krnhotwings posted:

Has anybody been having problems with system-wide audio on Lion? I currently have Flash 10.3.183.5 installed and it seems that whenever I use flash for a while (ie. youtube,) my system's audio will eventually die out, forcing me to restart. I think it's most-precedent with Chrome and flash. My primary browser is Firefox and I don't seem to have issues with that, but occasionally I'll use flash on Chromium, which might be causing the problem. It's really annoying because Adium will hang whenever I send or receive IM's because it's trying to play the audio notifications but can't... whenever this happens, coreaudiod and Adium's CPU % will spike for a couple of seconds.

Heck, it could be Adium or Songbird causing this problem, but I honestly don't know how or when the hell this happens because I haven't determined a solid correlation yet. :(

On top of this, I also can't play video files or audio files on ANY application. I can skip around the video/song, but the progress bar will just stay where I clicked and there will be no playback. After song playing around, I came across this result:

Right now, I'm having the issue I'm describing. I tried playing audio on Songbird and no dice, but I've noticed that whenever I change my volume, the audio 'bubble' sound will lag a bit (even though the audio in my other apps aren't working.) With this in mind, I tried playing a song on Songbird immediately after changing my volume, and it worked. I then restarted Adium, and its audio is now working too! It might have to do with the audio hardware going to sleep after 1 minute.

Any ideas? I've never had this problem pre-Lion...

I've had some issues with sound (mostly involving youtube not working with a specific sound output, and a different sound output having a bunch of popping that wasn't there before). I hope there's going to be sound fixes in 10.7.1.

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro for gaming purposes...

Cold Sprunk fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 15, 2011

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro so I can gaming purposes...
Works great on my 2010 MBA but make sure to give it enough room, it's currently kinda cramped on my 20 GB partition (I have Steam & all related games installed on an external drive).

[Edit: The trackpad drivers suck giant donkey dick though. Thankfully I only boot into Windows to play games (read: TF2) so I'm using my Razer Naga anyway.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 15, 2011

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro so I can gaming purposes...

No complaints running it on my 2011 MBP so far...

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Great, looking forward to picking it up!

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Terpfen posted:

Okay, so I gave MP4Tools' pass-through settings a try. It wound up creating an 8GB movie file that wouldn't sync with the iPad. What am I missing?

In the interim, I found iFlicks, and re-encoding with the Apple TV 2 presets creates an iPad-compatible ~720p video. Problem: it takes for-Goddamn-ever.

playback is $15, but will convert mkv to mp4 very quickly. It's great for ps3 viewing, but it doesn't re-size things for an iPad. If space isn't a premium though it would get the job done.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

McFunkerson posted:

Don't know if you bought iFlicks or just have the demo, but you should also check out my app Magic Media Marker. A demo can be downloaded from my website. it transcodes and doesn't do a mkv -> mp4 container change (yet, it's on the list but far down it) but it's much cheaper and better geared towards automation.

I'm just using the demo for now. 30 days free, why not?

I'll give MMM a shot. Does it also resize video? I have some 1080p encodes that obviously won't play on the iPad (720p limit), but I'd like to be able to get those down to 720p without spending hours re-encoding (and losing image quality).

ndrake posted:

playback is $15, but will convert mkv to mp4 very quickly. It's great for ps3 viewing, but it doesn't re-size things for an iPad. If space isn't a premium though it would get the job done.

If it doesn't resize, that's a problem, since the iPad won't sync with anything larger than 720p.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 15, 2011

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

I've had some issues with sound (mostly involving youtube not working with a specific sound output, and a different sound output having a bunch of popping that wasn't there before). I hope there's going to be sound fixes in 10.7.1.
Do you get the popping sound during audio playback or after the audio is idle for about a minute or so? I remember back in Leopard (and maybe early SL,) I had to download and install Antipop 'cause the audio would pop when anything triggered it to wake back up from idle.

On a random side-note, here's something I came across while Parallels was loading as I was switching between spaces:

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
Here's a question; I'd just google it, but I'm not entirely sure what to google.

I have a network connection set up to my main computer (a PC) so I can access its files and whatnot through my macbook. It connects fine, but if my macbook goes to sleep or anything, it loses the connection and seems unable to connect again. It won't even disconnect- if I try, it just stops on "disconnecting" forever. I can fix it by resetting, but that's a pain. Any suggestions?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

krnhotwings posted:

Do you get the popping sound during audio playback or after the audio is idle for about a minute or so? I remember back in Leopard (and maybe early SL,) I had to download and install Antipop 'cause the audio would pop when anything triggered it to wake back up from idle.

While playing. It's only when I use the speakers on my ACD, and it's only since Lion.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

unruly posted:

It's normal for most actions to skip, slow down or pause. It's doing a mount of the Time Machine backup device, and if you have a slow disk (or if it's over the network), the filesystem has to wait for it.

iTunes audio has never skipped for me before, even under very heavy CPU and IO load.
Only in 10.7 has this started.

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, there's definitely some bugs related to audio outputs. Symptom is that the app will just stop playing any sound. I see it in WoW, VLC and Mumble... changing the audio output in the application's settings and back again fixes it for me, or just quit and restart the app.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro for gaming purposes...

Two main problems.

Track pad driver sucks (especially two finger scrolling, it is just horrible) and you don't get hybrid graphics so battery life is not very good (although the GPU downclocks pretty aggresively).

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

shodanjr_gr posted:

Two main problems.

Track pad driver sucks (especially two finger scrolling, it is just horrible) and you don't get hybrid graphics so battery life is not very good (although the GPU downclocks pretty aggresively).

Some dude made a track pad driver that lets you configure some stuff better and improves the two finger scrolling (but still no 3-finger tap, what the gently caress?), but I won't bother recommending it because it has this spergy rear end in a top hat thing where the driver software phones home and disables itself if you don't download an update every week, even when the guy hasn't posted one.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 15, 2011

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Is anyone else having a problem with software installers randomly making GBS threads themselves with no rhyme or reason to it?

Seemingly sometimes a reboot prior to install will do it, and as far as I can tell it seems that if I use an app, then I cant install an update, so I have to reboot it and install BEFORE hand. Its like somethings holding file handles open or something.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Anyone have issues with FaceTime logging in? Everytime I try it says there is a server error.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Is there anyway to get Finder to display files/folders the way Windows does? With the folders at the top and everything after that?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Midnight- posted:

Is there anyway to get Finder to display files/folders the way Windows does? With the folders at the top and everything after that?
Arrange by Kind.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
What's the verdict on booting a virtual machine on mac? I have a bootcamp partition already, but i want to be able to play (older) games in windows while booted in OSX. Which do you recommend? I've heard of vmware fusion and parallels but not used either.

(Diablo II no longer works if you upgrade to the newest mac system. Dammit!)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
The recommendation remains the same: Fusion for stability but not cutting-edge. Parallels for performance but bugs can appear.

Both have free trials so you can decide which suites you better. For Diablo 2, either will work, but I recommend Fusion since it's less prone to breaking after an OS X update.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking for Goon recommendations on off-site back ups. I use Dropbox for cloud storage and Time Machine / Time Capsule for backups, but obviously I'm screwed if my poo poo gets robbed or flooded.

I've been researching and things like Mozy / Crash Plan get pretty good reviews but I wanted to hear what you guys had to say.

FWIW, I've got about 1.3TB of disk space with about 750GB used that I'd like backed up.

Thanks in advance!

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Absolutely love CrashPlan. It's secure, reliable, and easy. I used their seed service, which was really easy. They ship you a drive and a paid return label, you back up to the drive, ship it back, and a week later your online backups are incremental from the seed.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Absolutely love CrashPlan. It's secure, reliable, and easy. I used their seed service, which was really easy. They ship you a drive and a paid return label, you back up to the drive, ship it back, and a week later your online backups are incremental from the seed.

Crashplan is seriously the best answer. I use it for the whole family and it gets my warmest recommendation. You can't get the drive sent out if you're not in the US, but even uploading it all over the internet I still love it to bits. I just limited the upload limit so it wouldn't saturate my connection at home, and let it take it's time. The unlimited storage is a nice feature too. I don't care how much crap the missus and kids drag home, it's all backed up.

It's not free, but god drat it's worth every cent.

E: I currently have ~1.5 TB backed up between all the machines at home.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

I read about the hard drive seed service, but I didn't realize they provided the harddrive and shipping. That's pretty freakin' cool.

geera
May 20, 2003
I have a weird Time Machine issue I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I bought a mini a few months ago and used TM to bring over everything from my older mini (which was running 1.5). Everything seemed to copy over fine, except now when TM runs every hour, it always backs up a ton of data - around 30 GB every time. It's never less, sometimes a little more. Backing up 30 GB every hour sucks and takes forever, and noticeably impacts the performance of my computer while the backup is running (to a USB hard drive).

Does anybody know if this is a known side-effect after restoring from TM? Is there a TM log file somewhere that I can read to see what it's backing up every time?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

geera posted:

I have a weird Time Machine issue I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I bought a mini a few months ago and used TM to bring over everything from my older mini (which was running 1.5). Everything seemed to copy over fine, except now when TM runs every hour, it always backs up a ton of data - around 30 GB every time. It's never less, sometimes a little more. Backing up 30 GB every hour sucks and takes forever, and noticeably impacts the performance of my computer while the backup is running (to a USB hard drive).

Does anybody know if this is a known side-effect after restoring from TM? Is there a TM log file somewhere that I can read to see what it's backing up every time?
After upgrading to Lion, my backups has been huge every time. I've used some programs to analyze what is getting backed up every time and it always shows no changes. I think this is a bug and a couple other people have asked about it in this thread. Unfortunately, I haven't seen an explanation or a fix.

geera
May 20, 2003

dexter6 posted:

After upgrading to Lion, my backups has been huge every time. I've used some programs to analyze what is getting backed up every time and it always shows no changes. I think this is a bug and a couple other people have asked about it in this thread. Unfortunately, I haven't seen an explanation or a fix.
The weird thing for me is that this was happening even back on Snow Leopard. I've upgraded to Lion but it's still doing the same.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Well, if I can't useTime Machine over wifi anymore, can I create a partition on the external I use for iTunes music and use that for my TM volume?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Well, if I can't useTime Machine over wifi anymore, can I create a partition on the external I use for iTunes music and use that for my TM volume?
Why can't you use Time Machine over wifi?

At any rate, yes you can do this as well. Google around a bit, but I did that a while ago. Key is to make sure you've got it partitioned in the correct format.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes that's very possible with Disk Utility.

Use "tmutil compare" in Terminal to see what Time Machine is seeing as different on your Mac compared to your latest backup.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

wolffenstein posted:

Arrange by Kind.

That doesn't put folders at the top, if you have any adobe files in the same folder.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I'm having problems with Time Machine as well. In my case it always backs up like 200,000 files, none of which appear to have changed (nor do they take up any more space).

The weird thing is, I first had the problem in Lion, but then I had to restart my backup from scratch on a Snow Leopard machine, and now it's doing it there, too. I can't figure out how that would be possible, unless the bug is also in the 10.6.8 update or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

dexter6 posted:

Why can't you use Time Machine over wifi?

At any rate, yes you can do this as well. Google around a bit, but I did that a while ago. Key is to make sure you've got it partitioned in the correct format.

I posted yesterday regarding why I could not back up to an SMB share using Lion even after enabling unsupported volumes and was told that Lion is now enforcing AFP requirements.