Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there a name for how when a lane is ending drivers gravitate toward it, at the last moment cutting off drivers in the open lane and slowing it down, encouraging more people to use the ending lane because it looks faster?

I got to see another demonstration of it this week on a two lane urban street. Plenty of signs warning that the right hand lane was closed up ahead, I stayed in the left hand lane. Impatient people stayed in the right hand lane, sped up as they approached the obstacle and then cut off drivers in the left hand lane.

This had the effect of making the left lane get slower and slower, encouraging impatient people to continue to use the closing lane because those cars were moving faster.

Grover's right, it's game theory all the way. The more people cheat, the bigger the incentive to cheat. Unfortunately, we can't count on this effect when we really need the two full lanes worth of storage.

nm posted:

Why do they curve sidewalks? I believe I speak for all pedestrians when I say they suck. I got to imagine they're even more annoying in wheelchairs.

I'm pretty impressed with the fake brickwork, except for the section you pointed out though. How it will hold up?

I believe they're only curved for aesthetic reasons. I don't like them, either. They encourage people to walk on the grass and they're a royal pain in the rear end if you've got mobility impairments or poor vision. Or tripping, I guess.

The stamped concrete should easily last 10 years, provided they didn't gently caress up the rest of it as well. It'll fade to grayish-red after a time as the cement wears away and the aggregate shows through. I imagine it won't chip too much, since it's on a sidewalk and not a road. I'm guessing the slabs will crack from tree root growth within 15-20 years, making a very uneven surface, and then they'll be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cichlidae posted:

Grover's right, it's game theory all the way. The more people cheat, the bigger the incentive to cheat. Unfortunately, we can't count on this effect when we really need the two full lanes worth of storage.

On a similar subject are there any standards for putting up signs about lane closures? I've seen very good usage of signs and cones but I've seen far more bad usage, doing things like putting up about 10 feet of cones right in front of a lane closure, or just on the far side of an intersection obliging people to change lines in the middle of it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Trauma posted:

I got to see another demonstration of it this week on a two lane urban street. Plenty of signs warning that the right hand lane was closed up ahead, I stayed in the left hand lane. Impatient people stayed in the right hand lane, sped up as they approached the obstacle and then cut off drivers in the left hand lane.

Using both lanes all the way up to the closure is the most efficient method of handling lane closures. On a congested road, ideally everyone should be zipper merging, alternating one car from each lane.

I always go for the lane with the least traffic in this situation, there's no reason for me to be stuck when traffic is moving along in the adjacent lane.

There's no such thing as "cheating" in traffic, no rules prohibiting you from jumping ahead by overtaking.

Being a dick by aggressively forcing your way in at the merge is another thing entirely, that's a total dick move. Just as much as not letting people merge because you think they "cheated" by going in the faster-moving lane.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been reading this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Roads-Visionaries-Trailblazers-Superhighways/dp/0618812415
I'm about half way through, it's pretty informative and well researched and easy to read.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Well, that shouldn't happen.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

KozmoNaut posted:

Being a dick by aggressively forcing your way in at the merge is another thing entirely, that's a total dick move. Just as much as not letting people merge because you think they "cheated" by going in the faster-moving lane.

This is what I was talking about. Not merging, but cutting people off by simply playing chicken with the drivers in the open lane. I think of it as cheating because it requires dangerous driving behavior. When traffic is flowing lane closures aren't an issue but here in L.A. due to volume you often see the open lanes get very slow and the speed disparity quickly gets high.

For the last few months I've been walking to work and the change in perspective is interesting. Compared to the 1980s and 1990s when I spent alot of time as a pedestrian hardly a day goes by when I am not almost run over in a marked crosswalk with traffic signals. The level of driver distraction is frightening.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 14, 2011

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Dick Trauma posted:

On a similar subject are there any standards for putting up signs about lane closures? I've seen very good usage of signs and cones but I've seen far more bad usage, doing things like putting up about 10 feet of cones right in front of a lane closure, or just on the far side of an intersection obliging people to change lines in the middle of it.

Yes, there are. A lane taper on high-speed roadways must be W*S long, where W is the width of the lane being closed and S is the speed, in mph. For a slower speed, 40 mph or below, the formula is W*S^2 / 60. For a typical urban street, 12-foot lane with 35 mph speed limit, the taper should be at least 245 feet long. There is more info here:
http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part6/part6h.htm#table6H03

KozmoNaut posted:

There's no such thing as "cheating" in traffic, no rules prohibiting you from jumping ahead by overtaking.

Not entirely true in this case. Signs like "lane ends merge left" and the end of the lane skips mean you're not in one lane. If you continue treating it as two lanes after that point, you're breaking the rules. Some places even put "no passing" signs up in work zone tapers to make it a legal offense to cut the line.

Vanagoon posted:

Well, that shouldn't happen.

Lightning strike?

Dick Trauma posted:

For the last few months I've been walking to work and the change in perspective is interesting. Compared to the 1980s and 1990s when I spent alot of time as a pedestrian hardly a day goes by when I am not almost run over in a marked crosswalk with traffic signals. The level of driver distraction is frightening.

I've found this to be the case, too. Just goes to show you that, no matter how much money you spend on bright markings, tons of signs, and ped signals, people will start to ignore them once they get used to them.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Speed bumps at stop signs - has this ever been tried?

I have fantasies of cars bottoming-out when they refuse to even slow down when they reach the intersection at the end of I-84 off-ramps.

A man can dream.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Crackpipe posted:

Speed bumps at stop signs - has this ever been tried?

I have fantasies of cars bottoming-out when they refuse to even slow down when they reach the intersection at the end of I-84 off-ramps.

A man can dream.

It would cause more logistical problems than it solved, I'm afraid, most of them related to perceived right-of-way and having to get over the speed bump from a dead stop.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Cichlidae posted:

Lightning strike?

Found it on imgur, don't know the backstory, if any.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0

This is the kind of signage that should be used in any congested area with a construction-related 2 to 1 lane reduction. I remember seeing this on I-694 near St. Paul last summer and it seemed to work really well.

Unfortunately, Minnesota is one of the few places in the country where people would actually do what the signs told them to instead of just being dicks like normal.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
When writing up a construction project that requires one-way alternating traffic, do you provide directions to the flaggers?

There was a construction project near me, and they were doing almost 10 minutes at a time for each direction. It was about 1/2 a mile of one lane at most. Does that seem right?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPby71TNC0

This is the kind of signage that should be used in any congested area with a construction-related 2 to 1 lane reduction. I remember seeing this on I-694 near St. Paul last summer and it seemed to work really well.

Unfortunately, Minnesota is one of the few places in the country where people would actually do what the signs told them to instead of just being dicks like normal.

A related video was one about this project
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/169/

That's one hell of an interchange redesign

And they seem to be cheaping out on a EB to NB movement.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 14, 2011

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Bull.
Example: The merge on I-94 WB from I-35E NB:
Signed multiple times, "DO NOT CROSS DOUBLE WHITE LINE"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZLMN9N-Bg

(Not my video)

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Millstone posted:

There's US 212 about 2 miles to the west that people use for EB to NB movement.

That interchange was redesigned about 10 years ago and it was better, but still sucked. It used to be a diamond w/ lights on 169, then it was a 3/4 cloverleaf (no EB to NB "leaf") with stoplights for the residential areas, which was still bad because the 3 lights stalled traffic a lot. Its finally being designed to be something that: has no stoplights, and gives access to the residential streets.

nm posted:

I-35W NB

I go through that about one a week, and yes I do cross the double lines on occasion. It's kinda hard to stay on I-94 without going onto I-394 otherwise.

no go on Quiznos fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 15, 2011

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Guy Axlerod posted:

When writing up a construction project that requires one-way alternating traffic, do you provide directions to the flaggers?

There was a construction project near me, and they were doing almost 10 minutes at a time for each direction. It was about 1/2 a mile of one lane at most. Does that seem right?

We provide some general directions, nothing about how long each direction should take. Ideally, something near 30 seconds is good, but we usually limit alternating one-way to 300 feet. If you're dealing with half a mile, 2 minutes or so would be appropriate. 10 is way too long.

Millstone posted:

What's the extra lane on the loop ramp? Some kind of bizarrely placed bus stop?

nm posted:

The only things that will keep people from crossing a line are the imminent threat of a ticket or physical damage to their vehicle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Silver95280 posted:

I-35W NB

I go through that about one a week, and yes I do cross the double lines on occasion. It's kinda hard to stay on I-94 without going onto I-394 otherwise.

I lived on Hennepin there for years. It is very easy to not get on 394 doing it right, there is plenty of merge space. It really messes up traffic when people merge before the double white as they're moving far too slow. If you ever watch how it is supposed to work, you'll get it. The entire backup in that area is due to people screwing up that merge by merging too early.
For the record, State Patrol's position is you get to change lanes in the tunnel, but no crossing the double white line.

(Yes, that is W though)

nm fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 15, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

nm posted:

Bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZLMN9N-Bg

(Not my video)

If it's so important that no one cross the double white line, why don't they just put a jersey barrier there?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Craptacular posted:

If it's so important that no one cross the double white line, why don't they just put a jersey barrier there?
It would defeat the purpose, which is to allow people to get up to speed an merge like a zipper by obscuring views. Also, you'd probably have to widen it to allow for a breakdown lane.
It really does improve flow when followed.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

nm posted:

I lived on Hennepin there for years. It is very easy to not get on 394 doing it right, there is plenty of merge space. It really messes up traffic when people merge before the double white as they're moving far too slow. If you ever watch how it is supposed to work, you'll get it. The entire backup in that area is due to people screwing up that merge by merging too early.
For the record, State Patrol's position is you get to change lanes in the tunnel, but no crossing the double white line.

(Yes, that is W though)

Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

Last year they changed the striping after the tunnel a bit, so now I have to merge left 2 lanes to stay on 94.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

It would defeat the purpose, which is to allow people to get up to speed an merge like a zipper by obscuring views. Also, you'd probably have to widen it to allow for a breakdown lane.

This makes sense given that in my travels to the midwest, it seems that drivers are scared to use the skinny pedal. In AZ, open pavement is all the incentive someone needs to get up to merging speed (and then cut someone off like a motherfucker)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I always found Minnesota drivers to be terrible, and it's a terrible place to drive in general (and I'm from So Cal!). Mostly due to the insane number of cloverleafs with a tiny amount of space for cars to weave on/off.

nm posted:

Cichlidae posted:

The only things that will keep people from crossing a line are the imminent threat of a ticket or physical damage to their vehicle.

LA came up with a decent solution to this problem (apparently it doesn't stop everyone though, since a number of those things are missing/broken at any given time):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

Choadmaster posted:

since a number of those things are missing/broken at any given time):

Not to mention the pavement.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In a typical city intersection with curb-side parking, what's the minimum distance from the intersection with "no parking" signage/paint ?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

I always found Minnesota drivers to be terrible, and it's a terrible place to drive in general (and I'm from So Cal!). Mostly due to the insane number of cloverleafs with a tiny amount of space for cars to weave on/off.

LA came up with a decent solution to this problem (apparently it doesn't stop everyone though, since a number of those things are missing/broken at any given time):

That's just a slalom!

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

IOwnCalculus posted:

This makes sense given that in my travels to the midwest, it seems that drivers are scared to use the skinny pedal. In AZ, open pavement is all the incentive someone needs to get up to merging speed (and then cut someone off like a motherfucker)

Yet they still drive the speed limit. It felt so strange doing my usual 20-over and passing people left and right. Maybe that's just Phoenix?

Choadmaster posted:

We can't afford to keep those things in place. Even our Opposing Traffic Lane Dividers get beat to poo poo and broken within weeks, and you've really got no reason to drive near those:

Baronjutter posted:

In a typical city intersection with curb-side parking, what's the minimum distance from the intersection with "no parking" signage/paint ?

The MUTCD doesn't specify any given distance. It's up to the physical limits of the No Parking Zone, which is usually defined in the local traffic commission regulations. Generally, a No Parking Zone in advance of an intersection should be long enough to accommodate the queue of right-turning vehicles or provide a clear line-of-sight, depending on the type of control present (stop sign or signal).

Of course, all that good engineering sense gets thrown out the window when a local business owner wants a couple more parking spaces.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Cichlidae posted:

We can't afford to keep those things in place. Even our Opposing Traffic Lane Dividers get beat to poo poo and broken within weeks, and you've really got no reason to drive near those:

Not to mention we're talking Minnesota, it snows a lot more there than it does in SoCal. I imagine the plows would have a field day on them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cichlidae posted:

Yet they still drive the speed limit. It felt so strange doing my usual 20-over and passing people left and right. Maybe that's just Phoenix?

Was the last time you were here before or after they turned the cameras off? The cameras scared everyone into doing almost exactly 9 over; the longer since they went off, the faster everyone gets.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

IOwnCalculus posted:

Was the last time you were here before or after they turned the cameras off? The cameras scared everyone into doing almost exactly 9 over; the longer since they went off, the faster everyone gets.

It was in June, and I was the only one going more than ten over. Freeways 7 lanes wide, and people going the same speed in all of them...

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Pawnee and I-135 Why did they do this? If you look at the non-satelite view of the map, you can see that the land appears to be divided up into lots for housing or other construction. If you traveling east on Pawnee and want to get onto I-135 north you go right through a 20MPH loop with a steep incline, talk about fun merging into traffic. West bound traffic entering northbound I-135 takes it own seperate ramp on the other side of the road. Why couldn't they just use one ramp for northbound I-135?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Colonel Sanders posted:

Pawnee and I-135 Why did they do this? If you look at the non-satelite view of the map, you can see that the land appears to be divided up into lots for housing or other construction. If you traveling east on Pawnee and want to get onto I-135 north you go right through a 20MPH loop with a steep incline, talk about fun merging into traffic. West bound traffic entering northbound I-135 takes it own seperate ramp on the other side of the road. Why couldn't they just use one ramp for northbound I-135?

Two ramps, at least in theory, results in twice the capacity. This sort of design is being slowly phased out nationwide. Despite the extra capacity, it's confusing to motorists and somewhat less safe. Your interchange there will probably be replaced by a SPUI or a diamond as it reaches the end of its operational life.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

California does this thing somewhat often--instead of a lane just exiting, the exit splits off and then the lane abruptly ends. There's no "exit only" sign for the right lane because technically the right lane isn't exit only... it just ends very abruptly immediately after the exit.

Is there any good reason for this?

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Its really just a lane merge that happens to have an exit in it.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

What really annoys me about it is that there's no changing of the lane dashing to let you know that the lane is going bye-bye. It's rather startling.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Socket Ryanist posted:

California does this thing somewhat often--instead of a lane just exiting, the exit splits off and then the lane abruptly ends. There's no "exit only" sign for the right lane because technically the right lane isn't exit only... it just ends very abruptly immediately after the exit.

I'm not sure how well this would work, or what purpose it would serve. People drive across solid lines they're not supposed to all the time anyway.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

Millstone posted:

I'm not sure how well this would work, or what purpose it would serve. People drive across solid lines they're not supposed to all the time anyway.

Which, tangentially, is why I'm nervous about this new bike line / bus lane combo in Chicago's loop installed within the last few days:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chicagobikes/sets/72157627454737822

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Socket Ryanist posted:

This is actually the preferred arrangement for lane drops. Rather than forcing people to leave the freeway if they're in the lane, causing them to make erratic maneuvers at the last minute, this lets them change their mind and re-join freeway traffic with less disturbance.

I'm not sure how well it works in practice, but it's in the Green Book, so...

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

A situation like that actually causes (or at least is proximal to) one of the worst backups in town.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=39.376374,-76.745443&spn=0.001816,0.004128&t=h&z=19&vpsrc=6

Going WB/SB on 695, prior to the 795 exit there's 5 lanes. Left 3 go through on 695, right 1 goes exclusively to 795, and the second-to-right lane splits between 695 and 795, despite there only ever being 3 lanes of thru-695 on either end of it. So the split lane on 695 ends up merging back in after about half a mile (street view here). To make things worse, the merge happens right before traffic exiting FROM 795 merges back in as well, so you effectively have 6 lanes going to 4 over a few hundred feet.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

On a highway near me (MA-25, the road that extends 495 South to cape cod), the signs still say "Exit 2, Formerly Exit 1". I've been driving down here for probably around 10 years, and it's always said that.

At what point do they take the sign down because nobody actually remembers the old exit number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The exits were renumbered on WB MA 25 around 2007, if I recall correctly. It wasn't THAT long ago that there were duplicate Exit 1s on the same stretch of road. I would not expect that sign to go away for a few more years.