Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
http://einestages.spiegel.de/external/ShowTopicAlbumBackground/a23303/l0/l0/F.html#featuredEntry

1960's era Soviet bootleg records made out of old x-rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milk teeth
Oct 13, 2009

iamthejeff posted:

Found Aladdin Sane, Station to Station, Lodger, Scary Monsters, Let's Dance, David Live and Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf, in really good shape
nice! for $3.50 you got half a really good Bowie collection.

& cool link Wilbur (here's the googletranslate)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vintersorg posted:

I wanted to get Astro Creep 2000 as it was the first album I owned on CD but the blue vinyl is like, $200. Holding off on that for now.

What? Really? I bought the blood-splattered one from a Hot Topic a few years ago - is that anywhere near as valuable?

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
We'll be having another warehouse sale at the Insound HQ on August 25 at 6 PM. We're at 61 Greenpoint Avenue, Suite 225 in Brooklyn, so come on by if you feel like saving on shipping and meeting the folks behind the website!

Wilbur Swain posted:

http://einestages.spiegel.de/external/ShowTopicAlbumBackground/a23303/l0/l0/F.html#featuredEntry

1960's era Soviet bootleg records made out of old x-rays.

THIS IS SO drat COOL.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

A few recent attacks on my wallet.

I was excited about the Siamese Dream find, because it's red vinyl from Caroline. However, I should have listened to it before actually buying it. Skips pretty much every loving track on the first side.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 13, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Got a big Ol box of 90s hardcore 7"s from a coworker for $20. I'm pretty sure it was all the poo poo he couldn't make a profit on on eBay, since that's pretty much his second source of income, but there's some cool poo poo mixed with all the no name screamo bandstand garage pink. Highlights include some Policy of 3, Iconoclast, Inkwell, and a Man is the Bastard split. Plus some band I've never heard of that sounds like Mineral but slightly more subdued.

I'm down to trade since I knowna few of y'all are into that kind of thing. I'll post my discogs when I get em all in there.

Here's a link to where 7"s start on my duscogs. Because I am stupid I cant figure out how to show y'all jut what I'm trying to get rid of, so you'll just have to look past all the $.50 singles and find something piques your interest. Email me at hitlersmotorcycle at gmail dot com

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 13, 2011

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know a good place in the US to buy oldschool hardcore techno/gabber vinyl? I don't feel like paying 6 bucks shipping for something that costs 2 bucks.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Plus some band I've never heard of that sounds like Mineral but slightly more subdued.

Ha! It's not The Gloria Record is it?

I still put out my Mineral 7"s and bask in the glory of the best SDRE imitators ever.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

hatelull posted:

I was excited about the Siamese Dream find, because it's red vinyl from Caroline. However, I should have listened to it before actually buying it. Skips pretty much every loving track on the first side.

Is that an original pressing of Honey's Dead? That must have set you back.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

hatelull posted:

Ha! It's not The Gloria Record is it?

I still put out my Mineral 7"s and bask in the glory of the best SDRE imitators ever.

Hahah nah it's some band called Loomis. Mineral are one of the only emo bands I can still rock, gotta be in the right mood though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Portland goons don't go to the new record store on Prescott and 15th because I don't want you to buy all these records out from under me!

it's a cool, tiny place and I want to own about half of their stock

just got an Amon Tobin and a Company Flow (for $1!) because I didn't want to spend too much

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Is that an original pressing of Honey's Dead? That must have set you back.

No. :( If it was an original, I would have just been a tool and framed it or something. That's an 180g re-pressing. I think they repressed all of them in 180g back when they albums were getting the remaster/repackage treatment from Rhino. I have the 180g re-releases of their first two LP's plus that Honey's Dead and I'll probably stop there. Stoned and Dethroned is something I've never seen around here on vinyl, and Automatic absolutely drops off after "Head On."

I would however, probably pay stupid amounts of cash for a vinyl release of Barbed Wire Kisses.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 14, 2011

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Ron Burgundy posted:

The most convoluted advertisement record I've heard.

Hello fellow Perth bizarre record collector! Nice to see a fellow Perth resident in this thread. Got any other locally produced stuff? All I was able to find was things like records made for charity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

hatelull posted:

No. :( If it was an original, I would have just been a tool and framed it or something. That's an 180g re-pressing. I think they repressed all of them in 180g back when they albums were getting the remaster/repackage treatment from Rhino. I have the 180g re-releases of their first two LP's plus that Honey's Dead and I'll probably stop there. Stoned and Dethroned is something I've never seen around here on vinyl, and Automatic absolutely drops off after "Head On."

I would however, probably pay stupid amounts of cash for a vinyl release of Barbed Wire Kisses.

I think they just repressed honeys dead. I have been looking for it forever and just started seeing it around this month. I'm glad I was finally able to get it. Stoned and Dethroned still appears to be Awol though. That record is like $100 dollars :(

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

hatelull posted:

I wish they would release Munki on 180g. Sometimes it seems like Rhino has re-released every post-punk LP in existence.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

hatelull posted:

I have the red version too, it's not rare exactly but it also happens to be Siamese Dream, which is great.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

re: JAMC vinyl

I would probably by Stoned and Dethroned in a heartbeat were I to find it in good condition, if only because I love that record so loving much.

Munki for me is hit or miss much like Automatic. The album has a superb first half, but then I get to "Cracking Up" and the uniquely abysmal "Commercial" and I almost start to lose interest. Fortunately, they dropped some stellar tracks at the end to make up for a mundane middle. Unfortunate, that Munki had to be the album for their departure.

Agreed on the Siamese Dream sentiment, as that's mainly why I bought it even if it's potentially unlistenable due to quality of the vinyl.

Is there any other classic rock releases that are must haves on vinyl? I have a smattering of random stuff, but I'm weary of picking up Seminal Classic Rock Album X on vinyl if it's just a nasty 80's repress that will sound like poo poo because the previous owners just used it to chop up lines.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's a double-lp version of Dire Straights' Brothers in Arms which is really loving good. Each side has 2 or 3 tracks, and they are all the complete versions, and it sounds amazing.

Sundazed's reissue of Blonde on Blonde is also pretty good, although apparently they accidentally ran "Rainy Day Women #12 and #35" at regular speed. Plus, what would you rather have? A little CD, or the big-rear end cover?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Got a big Ol box of 90s hardcore 7"s from a coworker for $20. I'm pretty sure it was all the poo poo he couldn't make a profit on on eBay, since that's pretty much his second source of income, but there's some cool poo poo mixed with all the no name screamo bandstand garage pink. Highlights include some Policy of 3, Iconoclast, Inkwell, and a Man is the Bastard split. Plus some band I've never heard of that sounds like Mineral but slightly more subdued.

I'm down to trade since I knowna few of y'all are into that kind of thing. I'll post my discogs when I get em all in there.

Here's a link to where 7"s start on my duscogs. Because I am stupid I cant figure out how to show y'all jut what I'm trying to get rid of, so you'll just have to look past all the $.50 singles and find something piques your interest. Email me at hitlersmotorcycle at gmail dot com

I'd take a lot of it.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Carl FTWinslow posted:

I'd take a lot of it.

poo poo I forgot the link. http://www.discogs.com/collection?user=kidrush&sort=format%2Casc&page=3

I'm bad at duscogs so you'll have to scroll down like halfway and skim through the $.50 pop singles. Id prefer trades but money is cool. Name your price or something.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Stuntman posted:

Does anyone know a good place in the US to buy oldschool hardcore techno/gabber vinyl? I don't feel like paying 6 bucks shipping for something that costs 2 bucks.
Good luck.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I've seen a lot of different shelving for vinyl storage, but nothing I can think of beats the functionality of:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Red posted:

I've seen a lot of different shelving for vinyl storage, but nothing I can think of beats the functionality of:

Do you own one of these? I would like to know where I could get one. Or at least what this type of shelf is called.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I don't, but I'd love one - it'd be the best piece of furniture ever.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Red posted:

nothing I can think of beats the functionality of:

The bins are cool and all, but the constant shuffling really stuffs up the bottoms of the covers, and the angle they sit on is just asking for warps. But they do look really cool. Maybe just keep your James Last up the top.

hammed yer log posted:

Hello fellow Perth bizarre record collector!

Sup. I found that LETZ flexi in a crate of mostly crap I took from my grandpa's neighbour. Strangely there was a couple of other local things.

Firstly was this LP by the Perth cover band Chalice. They went to Sydney to record this, and Jon English produced it. It's alright.

On the other end of the spectrum there is this disaster.

Pressed by 6PM which is now 92.9.

I'll have to check my main collection, which lives at my parents house for more local stuff.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My brother is into classic rock and Scandinavian and Russian music (don't ask), and has been collecting records for a while, but hasn't had anything to play them with. Recently my dad found him a KLH Model Eleven for free, which is supposedly the first transistorized turntable.

It's got 10-watt outputs meant for speakers that didn't come with it, which makes it so that you have to keep the volume on the turntable and reciever low (and it makes HORRIBLE LOUD NOISES whenever you touch any dial). Is there any way to get the thing to output at line-level?

Also, my brother was asking somewhere else about a record he found, called "The Anti-Heroin Project: It's a Live-In World" and whether it's worth anything with the cover, which looks to have been autographed by many artists. I haven't actually looked at it yet to make sure it's actually signed and not printed.

Elvis Costello?

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/vf2bi

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

It's got 10-watt outputs meant for speakers that didn't come with it, which makes it so that you have to keep the volume on the turntable and reciever low (and it makes HORRIBLE LOUD NOISES whenever you touch any dial). Is there any way to get the thing to output at line-level?

You can buy a line level converter for about :10bux: to convert the speaker output. Spray deoxit in the knob pots to remove the noise.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Also, my brother was asking somewhere else about a record he found, called "The Anti-Heroin Project: It's a Live-In World" and whether it's worth anything with the cover, which looks to have been autographed by many artists. I haven't actually looked at it yet to make sure it's actually signed and not printed.

Elvis Costello?

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/vf2bi

I'm not a Costello expert by any means, but while that might be a photo of him cut off in your image I'm not seeing his name in that autograph. Probably a capital E for that first name, but there's definite a large A in the ... last name?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

The bins are cool and all, but the constant shuffling really stuffs up the bottoms of the covers, and the angle they sit on is just asking for warps. But they do look really cool. Maybe just keep your James Last up the top.
I disagree with the warping and cite every record store

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

I disagree with the warping and cite every record store

If you have 50+ in one of those and try to go straight for the back ones and they are leaning back there's a hell of a lot of weight there. At some stores I can see them visibly sagging at the end of the row if they aren't flat against the back of the rack. It's alright if you have like 10 I guess. I'm not saying it's as bad as stacking them 6 feet high on the ground, but a visible sag can't be good, right?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I think usually the back ones are pretty straight, mostly because when they're all pulled forward people usually jam the last one into the corner. But I'm not in a record store right now and can't really vouch for either of us. It would seem to me that most stores wouldn't go for that method of shelving if it posed much of a risk of damaging their merch

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The racks probably aren't too bad, but they are a display thing, I don't think they were designed for long term storage. Also unless you have people flicking through your records 8 hours a day they are going to be encrusted with dust in a week.

They are much better than milk crates though. Seriously, gently caress milk crates. Thanks for scraping the spine off this album you plastic piece of poo poo.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

They are much better than milk crates though. Seriously, gently caress milk crates. Thanks for scraping the spine off this album you plastic piece of poo poo.
that's true, and I have the same problem with the metal bins I use for lugging them to and from the radio station. I recently got some storage boxes from Office Depot that came out to like $5 for 4 that were nearly perfect sized, so much nicer, and even stackable unlike milk crates.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Red posted:

What? Really? I bought the blood-splattered one from a Hot Topic a few years ago - is that anywhere near as valuable?

Not too sure, it might have been someone overcharging as I just bought it now for $80US. We don't get Hot Topic up here in Canada though, they sell records there?

My Super Charger Heaven 45 came in today, I haven't heard of the B side, so super stoked to see what is up with that. :D

EDIT: OH, this was the hidden track that played! Nice! :) gently caress, do bands even do hidden tracks on cd's anymore?

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 15, 2011

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Just got this... The Flaming Lips with Lightning Bolt.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Just got this... The Flaming Lips with Lightning Bolt.

Dear god, you're touching the playing surface! What have you done?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

Dear god, you're touching the playing surface! What have you done?

I knew someone was going to get me for that. I couldn't figure out a better way to hold it for the photo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

In other news: Readers of this thread may remember that I occasionally recommend the AT440MLa cart. I recently looked into getting a new stylus and I discovered that it costs 160 dollars. I paid 170 for the cart. What the gently caress is that bullshit?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

CPL593H posted:

In other news: Readers of this thread may remember that I occasionally recommend the AT440MLa cart. I recently looked into getting a new stylus and I discovered that it costs 160 dollars. I paid 170 for the cart. What the gently caress is that bullshit?

Yeah it's BS - I'll be needing to replace my needle on my M97xE soon and while it's not that expensive they want ~40 bucks for the stylus and you can get new carts for ~50 bucks. Although I think I'll just use it as an excuse to upgrade my cartridge...soo........anyone want to throw out some recommendations? Ideally in the sub 120 price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When you buy a new "stylus" aren't you essentially replacing all the moving parts in the system? Which would explain why you can plug a MX97e stylus assembly from 2011 into a Shure M75-6 cartridge body from 197something and get pretty much the same sound.