Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

I know Linode mentioned above has servers in Newark, NJ. That might be close enough for you.

Yeah I'm sure they great, but seeing as my only application is OpenVPN I can't really justify the price. I'm looking for something near what I was paying Neosurge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

ClosedBSD posted:

Hahaha, I want to see the link to his posting for this.

edit: Are there any cheap, less than $6 a month VPS hosts on LEB that Goons have good experiences with? It won't be for anything in production, mostly just for dumb projects and extra file backups, anything important I have is on the Linode.

I have one off LEB from lolihosting (yeah, I know). It was ~$22 for 4 months. Its ok, if you're wanting to play around. It's run by a college student in China, so don't expect too much. Some random downtime, but the servers are pretty empty, which is nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone know of a better deal on a dedicated server than ServerPronto?

AMD 2000+
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
5 TB Traffic
100Mbps Connection

$37.95/monthly

For $20 I can add 20TB more bandwidth so I basically don't have to worry about overages on a 100Mbit port. Additional IP addresses are $1.50 a month (only caveat is there may be a setup fee, but it doesn't show on the order page, just the TOS).

I've heard some horror stories where you have to fax them your cancellation paperwork but that's about it.

I assume that CPU is an Athlon but could it be an Atom-class CPU like some low cost Intel dedicated servers? I'm going to use it as a VPN box so I'm not really concerned with RAM or HD. It would be nice if the CPU could handle a 100Mbs of VPN traffic though. They have an Athlon 4200 X2 but it's $30/month more.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
why the gently caress would you buy a $38/mo dedicated server to use only as a VPN?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I know there's probably better threads for this, but this one seems appropriate. I don't need hosting, but I have a question about webhosting:

Say a guy owns website.com, and then he buys website.net and transfers his site over there. He registers the .com domain through a different company, and changes the hosting to them, too. He uses the .com for a totally different site.

He had an email address at the old site, guy@website.com. But he didn't setup that email address when he changed the domain registration a month ago. So...if someone sent him an email over the past month, to guy@website.com, where'd it go? Does it just disappear into the ether, since that address doesn't exist with the new hosting? Or is it maybe in some catch-all email account, either at the new host or the old? The old hosting was a company called BigBlackBag; the new hosting is Godaddy.

If there's some way to get these lost emails, can someone explain how?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

jackpot posted:

I know there's probably better threads for this, but this one seems appropriate. I don't need hosting, but I have a question about webhosting:

Say a guy owns website.com, and then he buys website.net and transfers his site over there. He registers the .com domain through a different company, and changes the hosting to them, too. He uses the .com for a totally different site.

He had an email address at the old site, guy@website.com. But he didn't setup that email address when he changed the domain registration a month ago. So...if someone sent him an email over the past month, to guy@website.com, where'd it go? Does it just disappear into the ether, since that address doesn't exist with the new hosting? Or is it maybe in some catch-all email account, either at the new host or the old? The old hosting was a company called BigBlackBag; the new hosting is Godaddy.

If you're lucky those e-mails would probably be bouncing, but since it's been a month, they've probably been purged by now. Highly doubtful those e-mails are going to be recovered.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

jackpot posted:

The default setting for most mail systems is to bounce or blackhole emails that are sent to an account that doesn't exist. While a catch-all might be an option with either host, most likely it is turned off by default. I wouldn't count on those emails being anywhere at all.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I had a dedicated box with ServerPronto for four years, and I wouldn't recommend them. First, as you mentioned it takes some fine print to cancel, as well as faxed copies of the front and back of both your credit card and drivers license at both sign-up and cancel, which is insane. Second, I was double billed for a while and it was a serious pain in the rear end to fix, since there's nobody to call, just a ticketing system. Oh, and when your server is down, it's just down; no ETA, no professionalism, just praying or waiting. Lastly, and the reason I left, they do bandwidth limiting or shaping on network gear, I was never able to get more than 5mb/sec out of my 100mb/sec interface (the explanation for this was the monthly limits). My advice is to pick another vendor, and more likely a VPS. Seriously, look elsewhere.

Why did I put up with this poo poo for four years? Mostly laziness combined with the fact that nobody using the box cared that much, oh and it's also cheap and a pain to cancel.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

AMD 2000+
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
5 TB Traffic
100Mbps Connection

$37.95/monthly

For $20 I can add 20TB more bandwidth so I basically don't have to worry about overages on a 100Mbit port. Additional IP addresses are $1.50 a month (only caveat is there may be a setup fee, but it doesn't show on the order page, just the TOS).

I've heard some horror stories where you have to fax them your cancellation paperwork but that's about it.

I assume that CPU is an Athlon but could it be an Atom-class CPU like some low cost Intel dedicated servers? I'm going to use it as a VPN box so I'm not really concerned with RAM or HD. It would be nice if the CPU could handle a 100Mbs of VPN traffic though. They have an Athlon 4200 X2 but it's $30/month more.

http://www.leagle.com/xmlResult.aspx?page=1&xmldoc=In%20BCO%2020110502444.xml&docbase=CSLWAR3-2007-CURR

Also, Serverpronto is a pile of poo poo. You will love their billing system that will quadruple bill you. Or more.

I've seen one case where someone got charged the annual fee 12 times. Good luck cancelling EVER.

If you want a cheap box from companies that aren't horrid -
joesdatacenter.com
wholesaleinternet.net (maybe ask if they still have any $20 p4's in stock, not likely though)
interserver.net
honelive.com

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
One of our sites has 10Mbps unmetered for $89 and second month free:

http://unmeteredservers.com/

Plus dual 500GB (can configure it RAID-1) and 4GB ram in that package.

EDIT: err, never mind that says 100Mbps on your quote, that would be an extra $80 but its unmetered so no limit on transfer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

why the gently caress would you buy a $38/mo dedicated server to use only as a VPN?

It would be for multiple people to use.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 total. They have the $29.95 server but it only has 512MB and 1.5TB bandwidth.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Bob Morales posted:

It would be for multiple people to use.

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep it under $100 total. They have the $29.95 server but it only has 512MB and 1.5TB bandwidth.

server.lu do unmetered 100mbit + extra IPs for $10 one-off each. Their official line is that running a VPN isn't included in their unmetered bandwidth policy but I doubt you'll have a problem with it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
btw, WII having a rare sale - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1072165
Won't last long.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Any thoughts on the best way to do SQL in a VPS? It will probably be a smaller Win2K8 x64 solution from hostdime or vpsland. It's a small custom inventory system through a windows communication foundation interface to the DB.

Everybody says you want a separate SQL server, not in a VPS, but I'm only dealing with a couple transations a minute, it will never be more than one or two a second. And all reports/batch stuff can be done at night when everybody's closed. I doubt there will ever be any joins more than one or two tables deep, or any other real 'intense' work.

I'm hoping MySQL will work alright (with some cache size tweaking perhaps) on Win2K8, because the whole EER diagram -> schema -> .NET Entity Framework Model is slick as hell. Even easier to setup and deal with than SQL Server.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Ive never used a separate SQL server, however Ive never dealt with that type of traffic.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Edit: Post too stupid, removed.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 15, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
More details. You have at least DNS pointing to the host?

dereekb
Nov 7, 2010

What do you mean "error"?
Not entirely sure if this is the BEST place to put this, but my mother is currently paying $70 a month for some BS nightly backup that amounts to an automated FTP program uploading to an offsite backup.

As far as I can tell, the backup is about 3-5GB max in size, but contains medical records/Social SNs/sensitive information/etc., and was wondering what a better alternative would be. I was looking into just buying some Google storage and pointing the FTP program to that, but am sorta thinking there is something better that I missed.

Suggestions?

dereekb fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 21, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

dereekb posted:

Not entirely sure if this is the BEST place to put this, but my mother is currently paying $70 a month for some BS nightly backup that amounts to an automated FTP program uploading to an offsite backup.

As far as I can tell, the backup is about 3-5GB max in size, but contains medical records/Social SNs/sensitive information/etc., and was wondering what a better alternative would be. I was looking into just buying some Google storage and pointing the FTP program to that, but am sorta thinking there is something better that I missed.

Suggestions?

Encrypt as best you can locally with strong keys too

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Still looking for suggestions on cheap dedicated boxes that are 100mb unmetered, or close.

PresidentCamacho
Sep 9, 2009
I just finished using http://www.hytekhosting.com after two years. Awesome people, awesome host. Would highly recommend.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Still looking for suggestions on cheap dedicated boxes that are 100mb unmetered, or close.

online.net - shared unmetered, not too loaded because they only sell to one country, only payable via local (france) direct debit from bank. mostly peering though
ovh - i wouldn't
100tb - if cdn/torrent/filehosting, i wouldn't
choopa/unmserv - ?
redstation - if cdn/torrent/filehosting, i wouldn't
incero - ask if they have any of the 200bux 100TB/m
swiftway - ask if they have any 100m specials in stock should be $150 or so (maybe less)

dereekb
Nov 7, 2010

What do you mean "error"?

Biowarfare posted:

Encrypt as best you can locally with strong keys too

Ah, alright, any recommendations?

And what about cloud storage? I just checked out Amazon S3, and they'd seem to fit the bill.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PresidentCamacho posted:

I just finished using http://www.hytekhosting.com after two years. Awesome people, awesome host. Would highly recommend.

I'd recommend anyone take caution though, given how many problems other goons had with them. 81 pages if anyone is bored.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
My client has a bunch of emails stored with one web host. We're going to be switching him over to another host soon. Is it possible to get the emails transferred from one host to another? If not, what is the most painless way to get the old mail archived prior to the switch?

Excuse my ignorance, I never have any of these issues of my own and I'm a web developer, not much of a hosting-solution-provider-guy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

My client has a bunch of emails stored with one web host. We're going to be switching him over to another host soon. Is it possible to get the emails transferred from one host to another? If not, what is the most painless way to get the old mail archived prior to the switch?

Excuse my ignorance, I never have any of these issues of my own and I'm a web developer, not much of a hosting-solution-provider-guy.

Can he just archive it all using Outlook or something?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Can he just archive it all using Outlook or something?

The answer should be yes, but they are having some kind of trouble getting IMAP set up there. If getting it all into Outlook and just storing it there makes it easiest, that's just what they'll have to do. Thanks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

What does it run/is there a control panel/whatever else?

You can't just rsync Maildir over?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

What does it run/is there a control panel/whatever else?

You can't just rsync Maildir over?

Looks like the control panel is vDeck.

I don't know where the Maildir directories would be here. I think the only directory I have access to here is wherever the website files are stored, and Maildir isn't there. Furthermore, it looks like I don't have ssh access?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Looks like the control panel is vDeck.

I don't know where the Maildir directories would be here. I think the only directory I have access to here is wherever the website files are stored, and Maildir isn't there. Furthermore, it looks like I don't have ssh access?

vDeck, congrats being hosed for the most part

e for content: vdeck is an inhouse solution by some of the biggest brand name/affiliate payout rear end in a top hat hosts with absolute poo poo service, poo poo for support, poo poo for anything resembling "your wordpress blog loading before the next era"

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Oh god drat it. :smith:

Well thanks for the info. So I guess it comes down to using Outlook to download all of this, archive, and then switch them over to the new host. Any other suggestions? :allears:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
^^ back when they used to use cPanel I seem to remember they also disabled backups so people couldn't easily migrate away just to be dicks

You can connect to FTP (make sure your FTP client shows directories starting with a .) and browse around to see if there's a mail folder, but probably not.

I'm pretty sure they support POP3 though, if IMAP doesn't work out for you.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?
imapsync. Runs from any (linux) host. Probably better to run it on one of the hosts though for cpu power and bandwidth. Its dead simple. You pass a few flags along with the hosts, users, passwords. It will probably take you longer to create the matching email accounts on the new server than to lookup and enter the flags needed.

If your hosts wont give you shell find any shell anywhere, even spin up a minimal linux vm via virtualbox and give it a run.

Holy Diver
Jan 4, 2006

by angerbeet
Does anyone have recommendations for "SEO hosting" companies (ones that give you different C-class IP addresses for hosting multiple sites). All of the ones I'm running across are pretty skeevy

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Holy Diver posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for "SEO hosting" companies (ones that give you different C-class IP addresses for hosting multiple sites). All of the ones I'm running across are pretty skeevy

http://www.seohosting.com/

Run by the guys at HostGator.

Holy Diver
Jan 4, 2006

by angerbeet

eightysixed posted:

Awesome, thanks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Holy Diver posted:

industry as a whole is pretty skeevy considering google have publicly said that it makes no difference and is pretty much just used for linkfarms and spam

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

use google apps for email, get it to import the old emails via imap/pop3, never look back

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

eightysixed posted:

This is pretty funny. I am sharing it with my co-workers. We always get these guys who subscribe to this SEO crap asking for multiple class C IPs on their dedicated server, but we can't do it because of ARIN rules. I guess hostgator just has a ton of them on a machine and shares the blocks between multiple people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

online.net - shared unmetered, not too loaded because they only sell to one country, only payable via local (france) direct debit from bank. mostly peering though
ovh - i wouldn't
100tb - if cdn/torrent/filehosting, i wouldn't
choopa/unmserv - ?
redstation - if cdn/torrent/filehosting, i wouldn't
incero - ask if they have any of the 200bux 100TB/m
swiftway - ask if they have any 100m specials in stock should be $150 or so (maybe less)

We have fileserve.com on the choopa network. So that is OK as long as you process DMCA requests in a timely manner. If you want to do torrents or whatever, that won't fly for long if we get reports.