Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

UserMan posted:

Its the year.

Yeah, it probably is the year. It was 845 when Wall Maria fell, and it's 850 after the timeskip which is pointed out to be five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its Mikasa's power level

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

Zorak posted:

Actually, you may recall that it's a marking on Mikasa's hand. Why it has a number, and why the number changes, we have no idea.

She gonna become Mama Titan.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
It's the number of time jumps she has left.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's one hell of a Command Spell.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
New chapters!

edit: :horse::horse::horse:

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 14, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, so is the implication that the scout commander suspected that there was one or more other intelligent titans infiltrating his forces, and gave everyone different fake Eren locations to try and figure out who it is? Because that's what I got from that scene.

I actually assumed that the intelligent titan was Christa until she apparently showed up in human form while the titan was rampaging elsewhere. Do we even know any other blond women it could be?

Also, Titan Science Lady owns.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This loving manga should be god drat sticked. DO IT ZORAK

edit: Aww Jean, you so tsundere :allears:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 14, 2011

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

That female titan is a beast. Those chapters did a really good job of demonstrating how much of a threat intelligent titans are. She's pretty much untouchable.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's pretty creepy that she has a kind look on her face (put normal skin over her face here) when she's just been brutalizing everybody.

I don't think there are any other blonde scouts, that we've been introduced to, that she could be.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The translators have been a bit weird. For the most part they do okay, but then they do things like consistently render "threat" as "thread."

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
This manga, holy shiiit!!!

And I think we're caught up on the latest tankobon, which means no more chapters until the next one is out...... 8C I don't think I'll be able to handle the wait!!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Frome posted:

That female titan is a beast. Those chapters did a really good job of demonstrating how much of a threat intelligent titans are. She's pretty much untouchable.

loving hell I cannot wait for her and Eren to square off. Great chapters, especially watching the three pronged attack in the small town with the windmill get demolished.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yep, top tier status of the manga is reasserted. poo poo, it's been ages since even Berserk was this good.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Wow, some really brutal and inventive action scenes here.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

That's one hell of a way to introduce a rival character.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Good God. This manga is so good at building up a sense of hope, it seemed like things would go so well with their formation at the beginning, and now everyone's split up and being crushed like so many tiny insects by this invincible intelligent female titan. That hopeful feeling is fading fast now.

I'm in despair! I don't know which of the characters that we've grown to love is going to die next. :smith:

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
What happened to that guy who was mean to potato girl? I lost track of him. Also, cool art:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

cisneros posted:

What happened to that guy who was mean to potato girl? I lost track of him. Also, cool art:

I wonder if we'll ever see an anime of it? Not sure what market segment it'd fit in to.

Kiamet
Feb 2, 2007

In its early days, TV was like a nymphomaniac clairvoyant. A medium you could turn on with a knob.

Paracelsus posted:

The translators have been a bit weird. For the most part they do okay, but then they do things like consistently render "threat" as "thread."

Also, sentences that I have to read about 3 times: "The purpose of my speech to you on this day when you are to choose the division you will join is none other than inviting you to join the scouting legion."

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Holy poo poo :rock: I was sure he was dead. I just realised Christa's friend with the freckles doesn't have a name...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This loving manga should be god drat sticked. DO IT ZORAK

edit: Aww Jean, you so tsundere :allears:

It was stickied already before for like two weeks, shut up.

Zaark
Oct 26, 2007
So... totally a wild guess but the new titan is Eren's mother? It might explain why she's looking for him. She was mentioned earlier to have 'disappeared' wasn't she?

Edit: Oh she died didn't she? No idea why I didn't remember that. I just seem to remember someone mentioning Eren's father doing experiments on someone other than Eren,

Zaark fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 14, 2011

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Zaark posted:

Oh she died didn't she? No idea why I didn't remember that. I just seem to remember someone mentioning Eren's father doing experiments on someone other than Eren,

Yes, she was eaten. And that theory was about Mikasa.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Boy, this manga sure has the highest mortality rate of any comic book Ive ever read.

Amazing chapters, really. The killing of the captured titan seems to imply that there are people working with the titans from within the city.

Also, if I understood correctly (chapter 23, p 16), Eren was supposed to be on the right flank , where she attacked, but was actually in another position, so the commander suspects someone from the inside is acting against then.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Amazing chapters, really. The killing of the captured titan seems to imply that there are people working with the titans from within the city.

Since the manga just introduced the religious cult, I wouldn't be surprised if they are the one who killed the giants.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, if I understood correctly (chapter 23, p 16), Eren was supposed to be on the right flank , where she attacked, but was actually in another position, so the commander suspects someone from the inside is acting against then.

Yes, the commander gave everybody false information about Eren's position. Only Ravaille's squad, Jean, Ryner, and Armin know where Eren is. And Armin only knows because he figured out that part of the commander's plan.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I seriously think these giants are the creepiest monsters ever introduced as part of a manga setting. Or any setting, for that matter.

Also what's the deal with "ymir's people" and the titan that seemed to struggle against its wants before eating the girl? That was incredibly disturbing. And does it mean that there are an entire subclass of partially sentient titans

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

^^^ Yeah, the "deviants," remember? I agree that side-story ruled, ruled, ruled.

Schubalts posted:

Yes, she was eaten.

That moment when she had told her kids to run, and save themselves, and then hesitated, and had to stop herself from calling them back, was when I knew for sure this was an above-average comic.

Also, I think it was Eren's father that vanished mysteriously. And then suddenly a big ol' titan appears? Hmm!

I was going to argue that the religious folks were a separate force from the titans, but then I realized they venerate the wall as having been made by "the lord," and that it's possible titans made it.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just to make sure everyone got that reference, Ymir created the race of frost giants in Norse mythology (AKA the bad guys from Thor). So Ymir is a reference to whoever made these creepy things (probably a scientist like Eren's dad).

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

Also, I think it was Eren's father that vanished mysteriously. And then suddenly a big ol' titan appears? Hmm!

Eren's father vanished some time after the attack. He gave Eren the key after Shinganshina was invaded by titans, when they were living in the current town. That was when he told Eren that he would find all of the answers in their old basement. Then he disappeared.

Remember that Eren's father was going to show Eren what was in the basement after he got back from his trip up the river, the day the huge titan showed up.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Can somebody please explain how the 3D-gear works because I thought it was a portable gas-powered bungee cord but apparently it does other things.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ka0 posted:

Can somebody please explain how the 3D-gear works because I thought it was a portable gas-powered bungee cord but apparently it does other things.

Think Spiderman but with spear guns and better control.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ka0 posted:

It shoots a spear into something and then the motor retracts the cord, pulling the user with it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

dis astranagant posted:

Think Spiderman but with spear guns and better control.

Where is Spiderman in this dire time of need?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Ah thanks guys, don't know why I thought those flimsy steel blades had anything to do with it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Ka0 posted:

Ah thanks guys, don't know why I thought those flimsy steel blades had anything to do with it.

think of those as combat exacto knives.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Lamebot posted:

think of those as combat exacto knives.

That's basically the impression I get from them. They're very, very sharp because they have to cut through Titan flesh, but they're only good for one or two uses before the blade has to be replaced. The little diagonal lines across the sword are for snapping the blade off to keep the part near the end sharp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Vile posted:

That's basically the impression I get from them. They're very, very sharp because they have to cut through Titan flesh, but they're only good for one or two uses before the blade has to be replaced. The little diagonal lines across the sword are for snapping the blade off to keep the part near the end sharp.

I thought it said something about them being coiled up and are much longer than shown once they pierce the titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/5/36

As far as I can tell the blades are just thrown away and replaced. It does say something about the blades being twisted around themselves many times to cut through Titan flesh, but I think that's probably a mistranslation of your standard Japanese hundred-folded blade.