Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Crossed the border today to hit up a Barnes and Noble store in the US. I picked up DVDs of The Furies, Ugetsu, Pale Flower, and Naked City. Figured I'd spend the US cash I had lying around! User codyclarke sold me on Pale Flower, even though this particular B&N didn't have it on blu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Blind-bought Broadcast News and watched it last night. Not only is it a really good film, the transfer is amazing. It's probably one of the best Blu-Rays I've seen.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Aw man, Barnes and Noble just canceled my High and Low order. Boooo.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion just dropped a hint for next Monday's announcements:

Three Colors: Blue

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion just dropped a hint for next Monday's announcements:

Three Colors: Blue

Excellent, the sooner the better. Especially since I've been listening to lots of Zbigniew Preisner lately. :v:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I saw Kuroneko last week in Chicago, which I think Criterion is putting out soon. Can't say I was that impressed with it. It seemed like there was just about enough story for it to be an hour in length, while still being atmospheric, but other 40 minutes is filled with stuff like our hero constantly going back to his lord to give him updates on the mission.

It's really great how the sets create an unsettling feeling, like in Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. There are some pretty neat "...the hell?" moments, and the effects are somewhere in between kind of thrilling and hilariously outdated. There was just not enough of that, and too much of...nothing really.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Rules of the Game upgrade confirmed for November. You can get the old disc 65% off at their online store using the code REGLE.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Rushmore coming to blu hell yeah

Still my favorite Wes Anderson flick.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Space Fish posted:

Awesome! Would've preferred to see Royal Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic get the blu treatment first, since both are a lot more detailed and intricate visually, but I'll be upgrading this one for sure.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Space Fish posted:

Definitely my favorite of his, and one of my all-time favorite films. gently caress yeah!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I watched People On Sunday last night. Wonderful film. Part of why I love classic film is the "time capsule" factor. It's so neat to see extensive views of 1929 Berlin. The only word of caution is that one character swims with a horrifying speedo.

Rambro
May 1, 2008
For today only, The Battle of Algiers and Island of Lost Souls are 50% off at Barnes & Noble.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion's listing for Rushmore is updated to list "New high-definition digital transfer of the director’s cut supervised by director Wes Anderson"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rambro posted:

For today only, The Battle of Algiers and Island of Lost Souls are 50% off at Barnes & Noble.

I dunno if it's for today only, but The Thin Red Line is similarly at 19.99.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
It's all books and DVDs on bn.com, one day only. They sent out an email this morning. Wish I wasn't broke. I'd be buying High & Low for certain.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

robix smash posted:

It's all books and DVDs on bn.com, one day only. They sent out an email this morning. Wish I wasn't broke. I'd be buying High & Low for certain.

High and Low doesn't seem to be available on bn.com, other than through random other sellers. It's not available on Amazon through Amazon, either, and it was cancelled in my original half off sale order. Is there some great demand for High and Low that I was not aware of or something? And perhaps more importantly, is there going to be a reprint?

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
That's strange. There is no mention of a short run or anything on CF.org. In fact everyone there seems to have a copy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
So the other day I was in line at Borders looking for some good deals with their going out of business sale. As I was in the checkout line I spotted Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy in the bargain bin for 25% off. I figured what the hell and got it on an impulse buy. I've never seen any Kaurismäki before (I think my only experice with him was when he was interviewed on that Ozu documentary that came with Tokyo Story) so I really have no idea what to expect. Is there one I should watch first, or should I just start with the first one in the box? Also, how representative are these of his other work?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hector Beerlioz posted:

So the other day I was in line at Borders looking for some good deals with their going out of business sale. As I was in the checkout line I spotted Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy in the bargain bin for 25% off. I figured what the hell and got it on an impulse buy. I've never seen any Kaurismäki before (I think my only experice with him was when he was interviewed on that Ozu documentary that came with Tokyo Story) so I really have no idea what to expect. Is there one I should watch first, or should I just start with the first one in the box? Also, how representative are these of his other work?

You can watch them in any order. Those films are pretty typical of his other work, although he does sometimes have a more absurdist streak (Calamari Union, the upcoming Leningrad Cowboys set).

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Match Factory Girl is the most depressing of those three. It has its comedic elements, but it's very dark. Shadows in Paradise is the lightest of the three. Ariel is kinda in the middle, and probably my least favorite of the three. I'd say go Shadows in Paradise, Match Factory, then Ariel.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Fanny and Alexander on bluray yeeessssssssssssssss.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Beat me by two minutes!

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Three Colors, Rushmore, 12 Angry Men, The Rules of the Game, Sabu! Eclipse as well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

finally

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#261 - FANNY AND ALEXANDER (BR, Nov 8)

(same features as DVD release)

#216 - THE RULES OF THE GAME (BR/2-disc DVD, Nov 15)

•Restored high-definition digital transfer
•Introduction to the film by Jean Renoir
•Audio commentary written by film scholar Alexander Sesonske and read by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
•Version comparison: side-by-side analysis of the film’s two endings, and an illustrated study of Renoir’s shooting script
•Selected-scene analysis by Renoir historian Christopher Faulkner
•Excerpts from Jean Renoir, le patron: La Règle et l’exception (1966), a French television program directed by Jacques Rivette
•Part one of Jean Renoir, a two-part 1993 BBC documentary by David Thompson
•Video essay about the film’s production, release, and later reconstruction
•Jean Gaborit and Jacques Durand discuss their reconstruction and rerelease of the film
•Interviews with Renoir’s son and assistant cameraman Alain Renoir, set designer Max Douy, and actress Mila Parély
•Written tributes to the film and Renoir by J. Hoberman, Kent Jones,Paul Schrader, Wim Wenders and others
•Improved English subtitle translation
•Plus: A booklet featuring writings by Sesonske, Renoir, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Bertrand Tavernier, and François Truffaut

#587 - THREE COLOR TRILOGY (3-disc BR/4-disc DVD, Nov 15)

•New high-definition digital restorations (with DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray editions)
•Three cinema lessons with director Krzysztof Kieslowski
•New interviews with composer Zbigniew Preisner; writer Krzysztof Piesiewicz; and actors Julie Delpy, Zbigniew Zamachowski, and Irène Jacob
•Selected-scene commentary for Blue with actress Juliette Binoche
•Three new video essays, by film writers Annette Insdorf, Tony Rayns, and Dennis Lim
•Kieslowski’s student short The Tram (1966) and his fellow student’s short from the same year The Face, which features Kieslowski in a solo performance
•Two short documentaries by Kieslowski: Seven Women of Different Ages (1978) and Talking Heads (1980)
•Krzysztof Kieslowski: I’m So-So . . . (1995), a feature-length documentary in which the filmmaker discusses his life and work
•Two multi-interview programs, Reflections on “Blue” and Kieslowski: The Early Years, with film critic Geoff Andrew, Binoche, filmmaker Agnieszka Holland, cinematographer Sawomir Idziak, Insdorf, Jacob, and editor Jacques Witta
•Interviews with producer Marin Karmitz and Witta
•Behind-the-scenes programs for White and Red, and Kieslowski Cannes 1994, a short documentary on Red’s world premiere
•Original theatrical trailers
•New and improved English subtitle translations
•PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critics Colin MacCabe, Nick James, Stuart Klawans, and Georgina Evans, an excerpt from Kieslowski on Kieslowski, and reprinted interviews with cinematographers Sawomir Idziak, Edward Klosinski, and Piotr Sobocinski

#65 - RUSHMORE (BR, Nov 22)

(same features as DVD)

#591 - 12 ANGRY MEN (BR/2-disc DVD, Nov 22)

•New high-definition digital restoration (with uncom­pressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Frank Schaffner’s 1955 television version, with an introduction by Ron Simon, director of the Paley Center for Media Studies
•“Twelve Angry Men”: From Television to the Big Screen, a video essay by film scholar Vance Kapley comparing the Sidney Lumet and Schaffner versions
•Archival interviews with Lumet
•New interview about the director with writer Walter Bernstein
•New interview with Simon about television writer Reginald Rose
•New interview with cinematographer John Bailey in which he discusses cinematographer Boris Kaufman
•Tragedy in a Temporary Town (1956), a teleplay directed by Lumet and written by Rose
•Original theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by writer and law professor Thane Rosenbaum

ECLIPSE SERIES 30: SABU! (3-disc DVD, Nov 29)

•Elephant Boy
•The Drum
•Jungle Book

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 15, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If it goes like it did last year, all of these will qualify for the B&N sale. :madmax:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Jesus Christ, those are some supplements.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

kaujot posted:

If it goes like it did last year, all of these will qualify for the B&N sale. :madmax:

I have had a smile on my face for the past 10 minutes or so. A lovely day at work is completely erased by these November releases. All are must-buys! :)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

As usual, my take...

Fanny and Alexander - Duh. Just look at my avatar.

Rules - Not wild about it, but I like it a lot. But since Netflix is no longer an option for Criterion Blu-Rays, I'll probably just skip it.

Three Colors - Well, I'm definitely buying it, that's a no-brainer. The question is whether or not to hold on to the old Miramax DVDs. These are missing the wonderful Insdorf commentaries and some of the shorts, maybe some other stuff too.

Rushmore - No brainer.

12 Angry Men - Mmmmmmmaybe. I don't go crazy for it like a lot of people do, but it is really good.

Sabu! - Looks like it might be fun, rental

Phalex
May 14, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Three Colors - Well, I'm definitely buying it, that's a no-brainer. The question is whether or not to hold on to the old Miramax DVDs. These are missing the wonderful Insdorf commentaries and some of the shorts, maybe some other stuff too.

It's a bummer that Insdorf's commentaries are gone, but if they released Three Colors on a waffle, I'd still buy it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That is a loving month

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Phalex posted:

It's a bummer that Insdorf's commentaries are gone, but if they released Three Colors on a waffle, I'd still buy it.

And it would be delicious.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Well, when that and my Studio One box set comes, I'll have two different copies of the original TV broadcast of 12 Angry Men. It better be good.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
According to Amazon's Facebook page, tomorrow's Gold Box deals are all going to be Criterion titles. No word on which ones or how much though.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
And here I thought Fanny and Alexander would be the thing I'd start bugging them for after they released In the Mood for Love...

Incredible month.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

finally

My thoughts exactly. Release of the year for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Had they been hinting at 12 Angry Men? As somehow who doesn't follow Criterion's rights arrangements too closely, that was pretty shocking.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

morestuff posted:

Had they been hinting at 12 Angry Men? As somehow who doesn't follow Criterion's rights arrangements too closely, that was pretty shocking.

It had been brought up a few times, I believe.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

By the way, if anyone hasn't seen the Kieslowski short "The Tram," which was also on the old Three Colors release, it's pretty adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Deckard
Jan 3, 2007
Ex-blade runner
Looks like they are setting up for Christmas!