Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Midnight- posted:

Is there anyway to get Finder to display files/folders the way Windows does? With the folders at the top and everything after that?
Total Finder will do it. Does other things too. Tabs and "Dual Mode" are the 2 I found most useful. Dunno if it's worth $18, but there was a 50% off sale recently. Maybe it'll go on sale again soon? Definitely worth $9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

10.x.0 releases haven't been very good in the past. Snow Leopard was pretty good, but Lion's definitely been the best so far. It's not without issues, but certainly their best effort yet. I sort of expect it by now though, considering how long they've been working on OS X.

Personally, I've never seen anything as bad as 10.7.0. Not just the circus involving the lack of physical media, but the fact I have to remote into 10.5 and 10.6 systems to do any work since things like the (10.7-specific) Server Admin Tools package is non-functional on 10.7. The File Sharing tool won't let me share files, the Workgroup Manager won't let me manage workgroups, etc. Maybe 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 will fix that.

Besides stuff that doesn't work, the default (and sometimes non-changable) options for applications is just annoying. "Reopen windows when logging back in" cannot be disabled correctly, documents no longer prompt to save when closing them, and all the windows I previously had open all come back open when I go to open just one document.

Not to mention that 10.7 Server seems to be missing 50% of the functionality of 10.5/10.6 Server. I doubt any point-update will restore all the missing functionality Apple removed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Xenomorph posted:

and all the windows I previously had open all come back open when I go to open just one document.

This can be changed in Sys Prefs -> General -> Restore windows....

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

vikingstrike posted:

This can be changed in Sys Prefs -> General -> Restore windows....

Thank you! That's one down...

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Another question about bootcamp....Can you install the drivers from the Mac OSX dvd from the internet or something? I can't seem to find the disk.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cold Sprunk posted:

Another question about bootcamp....Can you install the drivers from the Mac OSX dvd from the internet or something? I can't seem to find the disk.
With Lion it should just prompt you to make a disc when you run Boot Camp Assistant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yep I downloaded the Windows support software when it prompted me to. It's about 600 megs and you can just put it on a USB drive. You just have to run the setup.exe after loading Windows.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Am I the only one who's shocked that 10.7.1 isn't out yet?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Since they seeded 10.7.2 to developers, yes.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

flyboi posted:

Since they seeded 10.7.2 to developers, yes.

The 10.7.2 update is purely for iCloud testing. I'd imagine 10.7.1 is going to be a separate pre-iCloud update.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm not that surprised. OS X is ten years old and this is the seventh major release. Lion didn't change that much under the hood, so the likelihood of shipping with showstopper bugs is probably pretty low by this point. Necessary application updates and UI quirks aside, Lion has been nothing but fast, stable, and reliable for me.

Also, Lion was digitally distributed and while it did take a couple weeks before the GM hit the App Store, the lead time on distribution is far shorter than with traditional disc copies. That means we ended up with a fresher build than what likely came on the disc for previous point releases.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I am not shocked, but I'm certainly surprised that we don't have one yet, or minimally one to squash some of the 2011 MBA issues that have cropped up. I just checked and it was 13 days from GM to 10.6.1, so we are certainly past that window. I think that Star War Sex Parrot is right about the digital distribution allowing closer ship times and its pretty stable now. However, the developer GM was was very early in July, so who really knows.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Lion has been nothing but fast, stable, and reliable for me.
A lot of us have not been quite so fortunate.

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp
All games were downloaded from Steam, today.

Where are Civ's icons and how do I fix it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

They're quick-and-dirty ports so they most likely don't have native 512x512 icons.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Ok, so you know how when you select and drag a bunch of things in Finder it will (after a second or two of holding it) move and bunch them all up together? Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? It annoys the gently caress out of me and I'm misdropping thing everywhere.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Petey posted:

Ok, so you know how when you select and drag a bunch of things in Finder it will (after a second or two of holding it) move and bunch them all up together?
No? What view mode are you using?

Can't replicate this at all with column view.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

No? What view mode are you using?

Can't replicate this at all with column view.

You know, when it goes from this:

to this:

When you try to drag a bunch of selected items into another folder. Because it doesn't just fade out the bottom, it "jumps" the images higher up relative to your cursor, which just fucks everything up if you're trying to move it at that minute. It's not only happening to me - Siracusa talked about it in his review.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmm, yeah I experience the jumping back and forth, although I have no idea what causes it. I think it's just trying to keep the list contained within the finder window. Hence the fading out (and moving up).

However, it doesn't actually change the position of the cursor at all so it shouldn't really be affecting your movement abilities.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I know what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what the problem you are having is. It doesn't do anything with the curser itself (not in my experience anyhow) so you shouldn't be misplacing things. Are you just being startled by it and releasing the button?

<e:f,b>

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I know what you're talking about, but I'm not sure what the problem you are having is. It doesn't do anything with the curser itself (not in my experience anyhow) so you shouldn't be misplacing things. Are you just being startled by it and releasing the button?

<e:f,b>

You're right, it doesn't move the cursor - but yes, I'm basically being startled by it, since it suddenly moves and is no longer attached to the cursor. I know it's a little thing, but I (as did Siracusa) actually find it to be deeply disruptive when I'm moving things about in the Finder.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In anticipation of my Lion upgrade I put two 2 gig RAM chips in my 2.16 Core 2 Duo MBP and it recognized all four gigs. I was sure this model couldn't recognize more than 3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

In anticipation of my Lion upgrade I put two 2 gig RAM chips in my 2.16 Core 2 Duo MBP and it recognized all four gigs. I was sure this model couldn't recognize more than 3.
I'm pretty sure OS X does the same thing that Windows started doing with Vista: telling you the amount of RAM that's there, even if it can't address all of it. A 2.16GHz MBP can tell you that 4GB of RAM is installed, but I'm pretty sure it can't address more than 3GB. Though I have no idea how to verify that in the OS.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Optimist with doubt posted:

Anyone have issues with FaceTime logging in? Everytime I try it says there is a server error.

Can't say I have, but one problem I have with FaceTime is that it turns down my internal microphone so that the other person can't hear me. I watch the meter in sys prefs go from all the way up to only making it 10% across when FaceTime is opened.

neolithic
Jan 10, 2005

He's a complicated man,
but no one understands
him but his woman.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Anyone used bootcamp for Windows 7? How do you like it? I may try it on my 2011 Macbook Pro for gaming purposes...

I installed this on my MBP and didn't even boot into it. Opened the partition using Parallels which I found to be loving fantastic. The mouse took a bit of tweaking, but I was playing Counter-strike (just for laughs) with no problems.

I'm new to Mac's and the fact I could do this and flick between different OSX poo poo, like it wasn't even a big deal, was a big deal to me. I seem to recall VMs being terrible a few years ago.

neolithic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 16, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I get that Apple really wants me to buy an iPad, but I wish they had iBooks for OS X. I refuse to read on my iPhone 4. I suppose I could just buy books from Amazon's Kindle service.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
New Kindle Cloud Reader works pretty well in fullscreen Safari, and then you aren't locked into Apple stuff since it's the only thing that can read iBooks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CDOR Gemini posted:

New Kindle Cloud Reader works pretty well in fullscreen Safari
Hey I forgot about that! Thanks!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

They're quick-and-dirty ports so they most likely don't have native 512x512 icons.

Civ IV is a native port done by Aspyr. That said, it's possible the steam service just doesn't bother with that kind of thing.

You could probably fix the icon by downloading one of the updates and copy/pasting the icon from the installer.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I refuse to read on my iPhone 4.

It's really not that bad. I've used my iPhone4 as my only ebook reader for at least a year. I've probably read about 30 books on it. All novels though; no way would I try reading a reference/technical book on it.

The only downside I have with it is that you have to turn pages more often. Other than that, its better than a physical book in every way (for my needs), and better than a dedicated reader because it's one less thing to buy and carry and charge.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I'm pretty sure OS X does the same thing that Windows started doing with Vista: telling you the amount of RAM that's there, even if it can't address all of it. A 2.16GHz MBP can tell you that 4GB of RAM is installed, but I'm pretty sure it can't address more than 3GB. Though I have no idea how to verify that in the OS.
Yeah for the machines that can work with 4GB but not actually use it, they still report the full 4GB installed. I think the actual usable amount is 3.3GB...not really sure how someone (OWC?) figured that out but that's the number I remember over the years.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Apparently some of the problems we've been seeing in Lion are widespread, e.g.:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/24/lion-bug-some-imacs-locking-up-after-playing-video/

Interestingly, the issues appear to differ on hardware class.

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
In the Terminal, how do I ssh into a server without typing the password every time? I always have to open up 1password and copy and paste the long password whenever I want to login quickly.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

micropenis posted:

In the Terminal, how do I ssh into a server without typing the password every time? I always have to open up 1password and copy and paste the long password whenever I want to login quickly.

You can use SSH keys. Here's one way to do it: http://pkeck.myweb.uga.edu/ssh/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

japtor posted:

Yeah for the machines that can work with 4GB but not actually use it, they still report the full 4GB installed. I think the actual usable amount is 3.3GB...not really sure how someone (OWC?) figured that out but that's the number I remember over the years.

"About this Mac" will show the amount installed while Activity Monitor will show the amount accessible.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Something in me says run memtest

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

10.7.1 is out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4764

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Oddx posted:

10.7.1 is out.

quote:

Improve the reliability of Wi-Fi connections.

Cool, maybe now my wifi won't drop every 5 minutes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oddx posted:

10.7.1 is out.

Only 54.9MB to download on my Air.

edit: and it installed pretty quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

17.4MB on my Pro :smug:

Glad to see they got the binary delta updates working, weren't all point releases for SL well north of 100MB?