Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodworks
Apr 6, 2010

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

Fiblah posted:

So I want to try joining some multiplayer servers, what's the best goon one to join? I joined Penislandia and was flying around for about an hour and didn't see a single person, its so big.. :(

seriouscraft is pretty new and real friendly, just check the threads in the private games forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Not to derail, but what is with this trend for Youtube bloggers or whatever the gently caress to record five seconds of speech at a time and jump-cut everything together? It's disjointed and literally painful to watch. That ridiculous '<3' guy does it as well and it drives me insane.

Pretty sure this has been around since the beginning of Youtube blogging.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Welp, had a look at the alpha last week and wasn't very impressed. I was still curious though so I slapped down payment for the beta on the weekend and did not stop playing it all weekend. gently caress, I was planning to get some work done.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
MotherfuckingCannabis is the best seed I've found myself. It has lots of variation, huge caves, lots of coal, huge forests, and some great mountains. And creepers. God drat how am I supposed to erect a giant glass walled fortress if you keep blowing it up you bastards?

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Not to derail, but what is with this trend for Youtube bloggers or whatever the gently caress to record five seconds of speech at a time and jump-cut everything together? It's disjointed and literally painful to watch. That ridiculous '<3' guy does it as well and it drives me insane.

It's so they don't have to do a million takes and get the perfect one without a mistake. Here they can just do a few takes and edit out the parts they mess up and make it look...I don't even know what to call the style...but your use of disjointed is quite close.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, are we posting seeds?

Crash Test Dummies' new album

is a really good one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Not to derail, but what is with this trend for Youtube bloggers or whatever the gently caress to record five seconds of speech at a time and jump-cut everything together?
It's because vloggers aren't professional or trained speakers so they gently caress up their lines all the time, if they've even planned out what they're going to say.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
The seed Amtrak gave me a really flat sandy plane to start on. Which inspired me to start an adventure map. More on that when I have enough to show.

This is what it gave me to start with and I didn't add/dig out too much.

edit: timg

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Well well, look what just got released.

Looks like it's just Xperia units for now that can run it, with more support coming later.

http://mojang.com/2011/08/16/say-hello-to-minecraft-pocket-edition/

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 16, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Any word yet on if the android version allows cross compatibility with, uh, "PC Servers"?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Looks like it's creative mode only at the moment.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Man, when he gets an iPad version out the door, my legs might just die from the extended toilet breaks.

And now I imagine the Xperia Play version being playable on the PS Vita also, which is just too awesome to imagine.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Iacen posted:

And now I imagine the Xperia Play version being playable on the PS Vita also, which is just too awesome to imagine.

I doubt it. Unless Sony has decided to make the Vita compatible with Android.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, I'm running a vanilla server (posting in correct thread, go me) and I keep finding chunks that refuse to update. I'll be able to break a block or place a block in it, and I'll get the block, but the graphics in the region won't update (or, if I placed something, it'll be placed with transparent sides that let me look through the world.)

This cannot stand. Every place I find where I want to build, I find out that half the building won't update while I'm trying to adjust lighting or the carpet or whatever. What can I do?

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

HarkToTheLoons posted:

The seed Amtrak gave me a really flat sandy plane to start on. Which inspired me to start an adventure map. More on that when I have enough to show.

This is what it gave me to start with and I didn't add/dig out too much.

edit: timg

Funny, I've been on the same kick as of late...

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

So I guess this could be considered a teaser for my next map?

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Ghostlight posted:

It's because vloggers aren't professional or trained speakers so they gently caress up their lines all the time, if they've even planned out what they're going to say.

Okay, I probably didn't phrase it right. I know why they do it, I just don't get why it's considered acceptable. It's absolutely horrible to watch compared to something like Ashens, or even most LPs with live commentary. Considering most video bloggers try to do a weak version of stand up, it just falls apart. I'll try not to derail any further though :saddowns:

Actual Minecraft talk: What are some good/hilarious traps to set up for people in multiplayer servers? The server isn't running any mods save for a currency mod (hence why it's actually worth protecting and setting up traps!) and one of those homestead things that means attackers can't actively break/place blocks. I'm sure pistons have made all sorts of things possible with lava gates and stuff.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
In response to all the news about Minecraft coming out for Xperia tomorrow, I can't dang wait for it to come to standard Android devices. In a dream world we'd all get it because we paid for the desktop version already, but they have to pay for all sorts of new people on the Xbox and mobile crews.

Gettin' ready to pay another 18.31 USD. :haw:

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/103408168356421632

@jeb_ posted:

Some Minecraft food changes...

Christ, what is this, raw pork chops, rotting pork chops, rare pork chops, and well done pork chops?

Also, they're stackable. Completely new game confirmed for 1.8.

Edit: Okay, my bad, if you look at Jeb's twitter long enough you'll find out what this actually means.

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/103422660180066305
https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/103443669910171649

The cream and brown cuts of meat are beef steak, apparently.

moondust fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 16, 2011

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Well it has been the case that 90% of Mojang's time is spent working on, or thinking up new food for Minecraft.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It makes sense we'd have a need to gather and cart around more food, given the apparent new hunger bar.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm playing around with making an Adventure map myself and I have a question. Is there a way to move the world spawn point? I've built around the spawn point but if I want to fine turn its location, can I?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

A Sassy Dog posted:

The cream and brown cuts of meat are beef steak, apparently.

It looks like he's re-colored cooked pork to be the light brown and reassigned the dark brown to cooked beef. While more realistic in color, it'll probably confuse a lot of players at first. Hopefully they will replenish the same amount of health so it won't really matter.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

It makes sense we'd have a need to gather and cart around more food, given the apparent new hunger bar.

poo poo, I didn't even notice that.
I hope it isn't too annoying, but really I guess food isn't that big of a deal after you've got a base set up.
I think Yahtzee said it, but it's funny that the biggest proof that you've got your poo poo together in this game is the ability to make cake.
Since they seem to be getting more serious, I wonder if we'll have to start baking bread and cakes now.
The days of punching sheep are over, and perhaps soon the days of mashing wheat into bread...

And I just caught up on previews I've missed out on, Endermen and giant mushrooms!
My dreams of recreating Morrowind are getting closer to being realized. :allears:

For the first time in awhile I'm starting to get excited about this game again.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

Well it has been the case that 90% of Mojang's time is spent working on, or thinking up new food for Minecraft.

Minecraft 1.8: You could have had the Adventure Update a Month Ago, but it was delayed on account of Steak

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Actual Minecraft talk: What are some good/hilarious traps to set up for people in multiplayer servers? The server isn't running any mods save for a currency mod (hence why it's actually worth protecting and setting up traps!) and one of those homestead things that means attackers can't actively break/place blocks. I'm sure pistons have made all sorts of things possible with lava gates and stuff.

Treasure chest in front of a blank space with a pressure pad behind it. They run for the chest, trigger the pad, the empty block slides out and drops them into lava or an empty room where they're suffocated by a piston over their head.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I once built a house with an Iron Door that was kept open by a redstone torch. When someone walked through the door and over a pressure pad it closed, locking them in and igniting the TNT that made up the ceiling.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

change my name posted:

Treasure chest in front of a blank space with a pressure pad behind it. They run for the chest, trigger the pad, the empty block slides out and drops them into lava or an empty room where they're suffocated by a piston over their head.
I made a little tunnel once where the entrance was a 2x2 pit with ladders only halfway down. At the bottom were four pressure pads, which, when stepped on, pulled the floor back and released the player into cacti. Too bad I set off my own trap the first time through. :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm playing around with making an Adventure map myself and I have a question. Is there a way to move the world spawn point? I've built around the spawn point but if I want to fine turn its location, can I?

I don't think so, but that's not an issue. Just set where you want to be spawned with a bed, and you're good to go for whoever plays it. It gets a little messed up with multiplayer (like if if the Yogscast plays it), but just write down the coordinates for that and you'll be good.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I think MCedit can do it.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
So I have SOMETHING to show for my Adventure Map. It's VERY short, and very beta. My artistic skills in Minecraft are also somewhat lacking, but here are a few screenshots and a map to try out. Expect to play for a couple minutes at most.

This is my first time ever using Redstone circuits, too.

EDIT: Requires the Amazopack.
EDIT2: Added some stuff, new screenshots.

http://www.mediafire.com/?k67dohss7se3nyo

Chunderstorm fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 17, 2011

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

FirePhoenix posted:

Download the Single Player Commands mod. You can use the command /setspawn to change the spawn around. Just make sure you delete the spcsettings in the map save folder before you distribute your map so people that also have SPC installed don't end up flying or insta mining because of your saved settings.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I absolutely love how they had to get the yogscast guys to demo the droid version of minecraft because notch was on his honeymoon :allears:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I took a flying leap, enjoy whoever is next in the Chainworld.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft announcements recently. Does 1.8 have a release date yet, or is it still unknown?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

HarkToTheLoons posted:

So I have SOMETHING to show for my Adventure Map. It's VERY short, and very beta. My artistic skills in Minecraft are also somewhat lacking, but here are a few screenshots and a map to try out. Expect to play for a couple minutes at most.

This is my first time ever using Redstone circuits, too.

EDIT: Requires the Amazopack.
EDIT2: Added some stuff, new screenshots.

http://www.mediafire.com/?s8415w07ybfy25r

I'm getting an Invalid Or Deleted File error :(

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Are we still able to get in on the chain world?

If so, what are the rules and time limit?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft announcements recently. Does 1.8 have a release date yet, or is it still unknown?
The most solid announcement comes from Notch on google+. After August 28th (PAX prime).

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Fishylungs posted:

I took a flying leap, enjoy whoever is next in the Chainworld.

Abortion is yummy is next. Die quickly guys!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
can't wait for my turn either. i need to vanilla the minecraft install on this computer, somehow i've made the current install completely gently caress up my graphics card whenever i play, yet i run world of tanks just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Notch is such a goofball and I love him for it.