Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

flyboi posted:

Yes, it doesn't have the EFI bios. It will work fine in Windows but you will have headache/fan problems in OSX. Your best bet is to buy one from Apple.

If I recall, most of the Radeon HD 6000 cards now work without any type of modifications to the card or OS X. I vaguely remember reading an article on how, starting with the HD 6000 series of cards, AMD was starting to ship them with EFI bios options for both OS X and Windows. With Apple having implemented drivers for many of the cards in the series, it simply becomes a matter of installing one and turning on OS X (but as I said, that's from a vague recollection).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I assume this is the 4GB 11" MBA model y'all were talking about (if anyone is still having trouble seeing it):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC969LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/tech-data/B005CWIRPG/ref=de_a_smtd

I'm seeing $1390 from some third party seller, but Amazon's $1139 is right on the sidebar under "more buying choices" for me right now. B&H also has it for $1139 too (and other random BTO configs), along with a free copy of Bento 3 if you want that:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/812523-REG/Apple_MC969LL_A_11_6_MacBook_Air_Notebook.html

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got my cable for my SSD, suction cup thingy comes tomorrow and my SSD comes day after :toot:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Binary Badger posted:

What flyboi said, and this card should work:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC742ZM/A

Just make sure you use the miniDisplayport to DVI adapters and remember to hook in the PCI power cords.

So even though that says "mid 2010" and mine is an early 2008, it'll work just fine?

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
A 11" MBA found its way to my door and I am fully pleased. I have a tendency to be extra clean and careful around new products and then slowly stop caring and they get dirty. I don't think this will happen too fast with my mac considering what I just dropped on it... but are there any solutions for:

A. Not getting hair/dirt/poo poo under the keyboard

B. Not scraping/ruining the casing?

other than not be a clumsy rear end? I want it to be in top shape for its lifetime with me, to also help with the resale value.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's not really hardware, but I'm looking for a backpack for my 15" Macbook Pro, and I found one, but it says it's made more for 17" laptops; Would that be good for my laptop or would it be too loose?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Progression Please posted:

Had my 13 MBA for a while now, almost 6 months and I don't see any problems unless you're eating over the laptop and maybe have a cat or something that likes to walk on the keyboard. The spaces between the keys aren't deep/tight enough to really trap anything in them.

quote:

The aluminum is super resilient. I'd imagine it is pretty hard to scratch. I carry it every day in a messenger bag with an iPad and is hasn't scratched yet. (My new 2011 one will be here tomorrow~!)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Progression Please posted:

A 11" MBA found its way to my door and I am fully pleased. I have a tendency to be extra clean and careful around new products and then slowly stop caring and they get dirty. I don't think this will happen too fast with my mac considering what I just dropped on it... but are there any solutions for:

other than not be a clumsy rear end? I want it to be in top shape for its lifetime with me, to also help with the resale value.

Get either a Speck shell/case thing or some other case designed especially for it. Why scuff it up?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

Get either a Speck shell/case thing or some other case designed especially for it. Why scuff it up?
Don't these things actually cause more scuffs, because all sides of the Macbook are constantly in contact with another surface, whereas if you just left it naked it'd be mostly untouched.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

computer parts posted:

It's not really hardware, but I'm looking for a backpack for my 15" Macbook Pro, and I found one, but it says it's made more for 17" laptops; Would that be good for my laptop or would it be too loose?

Most backpacks have an elastic strap that you can tighten so that your laptop doesn't bounce around. It'll probably be loose, but if you want to keep your Macbook in a sleeve, you might want that wiggle room.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Don't these things actually cause more scuffs, because all sides of the Macbook are constantly in contact with another surface, whereas if you just left it naked it'd be mostly untouched.

Only buy cases lined with that nice fur stuff. The good shell cases don't really leave any room for the computer to slide against and cause damage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Question about running Windows on an Air

When people say the Windows trackpad drivers 'suck giant donkey dick' do they mean that about the Macbook trackpads under Windows, or trackpads in general under Windows? I guess what I'm asking is would the Air trackpad provide a worse experience than what I'm used to in a generic Asus Windows laptop or be comparable?

Also can anyone comment on battery life running Windows (I'm assuming because the Air only has the single graphics card it should be much of an issue)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

dissss posted:

I guess what I'm asking is would the Air trackpad provide a worse experience than what I'm used to in a generic Asus Windows laptop or be comparable?
It's still better than most PC laptop trackpads, but just not as good as in OS X. It's not as smooth in my experience, and I don't think there's any way to enable natural-scrolling which can be a bit of a mindfuck if you've gotten used to it in Lion. Maybe there's an invert scrolling option in Windows that I'm just too lazy to look for.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dissss posted:

Question about running Windows on an Air

When people say the Windows trackpad drivers 'suck giant donkey dick' do they mean that about the Macbook trackpads under Windows, or trackpads in general under Windows? I guess what I'm asking is would the Air trackpad provide a worse experience than what I'm used to in a generic Asus Windows laptop or be comparable?

Also can anyone comment on battery life running Windows (I'm assuming because the Air only has the single graphics card it should be much of an issue)

I've found the trackpad to be marginally better than most PC trackpads on Windows (compared to leagues ahead of everything else under OS X,) if only for the size and surface. Under Windows, you don't have any gestures save for two-finger scrolling, don't have inertial scrolling, and don't have natural scrolling if you like that. If you enable two-finger right click, you can no longer drag by clicking down with one finger and moving the pointer with the other: as soon as the second finger touches the pad, here comes the context menu. You can enable a right click zone, however, which allows you to disable two finger right click and enables the dragging.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's still better than most PC laptop trackpads, but just not as good as in OS X. It's not as smooth in my experience, and I don't think there's any way to enable natural-scrolling which can be a bit of a mindfuck if you've gotten used to it in Lion. Maybe there's an invert scrolling option in Windows that I'm just too lazy to look for.

I started my new job today, where they provided me with a Dell Latitude notebook. After a week of using the Air, the trackpad on that thing was nearly unusable. :(

jubles
Oct 25, 2010

computer parts posted:

The footprint of the 17" isn't that much bigger than the 15". It will probably be fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

carry on then posted:

I've found the trackpad to be marginally better than most PC trackpads on Windows (compared to leagues ahead of everything else under OS X,)

Thanks guys that's reassuring.

Hopefully I can get get my money back on my wonky-trackpad Asus netbook and go and spend double on an 11" Air w/ 4Gb RAM upgrade

Edit: 2 minutes of looking at the Apple site and I've already started thinking the base 13" looks like better value. drat you Apple and your sequence of 'just $100 more' configurations

dissss fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 16, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

dissss posted:

Edit: 2 minutes of looking at the Apple site and I've already started thinking the base 13" looks like better value. drat you Apple and your sequence of 'just $100 more' configurations

Yeah, what drives me crazy is that i7 on the 11" and 13" MBAs represents a good deal given it's only $150 (11") or $100 (13") to upgrade.

Then you look at the 13" MBP, where the i7 upgrade is essentially $300 more (not quite, since you get a larger HDD too, but that's relatively nothing...) and it's like "WTF Apple..."

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 16, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dissss posted:

Thanks guys that's reassuring.

Hopefully I can get get my money back on my wonky-trackpad Asus netbook and go and spend double on an 11" Air w/ 4Gb RAM upgrade

If you're not 100% sure, journey to the Fruit Stand / Best Buy / local Apple reseller to look at 'em in person. Base 13" is solid though, I think you'd love either. Good on you for looking at the 11" w/ 4GB RAM :)

e: ^^ loving 13" MBP and its screen :argh: the 15" could stand to be a few hundred bucks cheaper IMO as well...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

movax posted:

e: ^^ loving 13" MBP and its screen :argh: the 15" could stand to be a few hundred bucks cheaper IMO as well...
Yeah, I still haven't opened my 13" MBP since I've been indecisive about swapping it for the i7.

I've also been tempted to just return it (soon), and wait to see what type of prices a refurb 2011 13" MBA will be, though I'm guessing that's still a few months off and I'd ideally like to start using whatever MacBook I settle on within the next few weeks.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Welp;

Too bad i didn't seat the drat ODD properly and now it won't eject :saddowns:

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow god damnit.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 16, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Ok I'm impatient. I fixed it. Turns out theres two plastic "guide nubs" when you mount the fucker that I missed. Woops. And I forgot to put the EMI tape back on again but there's a hair behind the glass so I'll gently caress with that tomorrow FOR REAL

Off to install lion on the ssd :shepface:

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
If anyone is looking for a no-tax alternative to Amazon, mac connection has the 11" in stock - or they did a few days ago when I bought mine.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a pretty nice mid-2010 15.4" MBP over in SA-Mart with quite a few upgrades: i7, hi-res matte screen, and extra video memory.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Scarf posted:

So even though that says "mid 2010" and mine is an early 2008, it'll work just fine?

Yup. I've installed other Apple-sold 4850's in early 2008 machines, replacing lovely nVidia GT7300s.
I'm sure other goons will chime in on this; also you can check the 'questions asked' section of that link I posted earlier and you'll see it verified there. For whatever reason, Apple chooses not to officially support these cards on older machines, presumably in an attempt to get you to throw more money at them in new tower sales.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Should I be worried that HDD is 1C? I see that the actual hard drive reports the temperature properly. Can someone with a 2011 iMac check their sensors in istatmenus for me?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

God that's a nice price. I have the same machine, but with 8GB of RAM, I think I paid at least 2 grand.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

I've found that those things are hands-down terrible 100% of the time. I didn't put one on my blackbook (it still looks fantastic) and I definitely won't put one on the Air. Being just a tiny bit careful does ten times what any shell case could possibly do and the unibody finishes really don't need anything covering them because they're really, really deceptively rugged.

Every single shell'd mac looks like crap, with the case beat to hell (what's the point of making your computer look like rear end all the time, especially since the plastic will get and show many more scuffs and scratches than the aluminum would?) in order to protect a finish you'll never see (because removing those cases is ridiculously hard...not to mention that will scratch the body). And if you get any bit of dirt or crap between the case and the computer, the constant pressure against it will leave marks and scuffs in the aluminum, thus causing the problem you're trying to prevent.

Don't throw rocks at your computer, keep it in a soft carrier case when it isn't on your desk/lap, and don't put your keys in the bag with it. There. Spend the $60 on an actual case for it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Went to the Apple store, decided to plop down the extra bucks for the i7 13" Air. This thing is stupid fast.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Scarf posted:

FWIW, I just installed a Radeon 6770 (purchased from Apple) into my Mac Pro 1,1 and it works fine. Age doesn't seem to be a factor here.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, what drives me crazy is that i7 on the 11" and 13" MBAs represents a good deal given it's only $150 (11") or $100 (13") to upgrade.

Then you look at the 13" MBP, where the i7 upgrade is essentially $300 more (not quite, since you get a larger HDD too, but that's relatively nothing...) and it's like "WTF Apple..."
I imagine part of it is Intel's chip pricing. Between the i5 and i7 on the higher end Mini the difference is 200MHz and a MB of cache for $100, which seems like a nice gouging...then you see how much Intel prices them at. The 2.3 and 2.7 there are the same as the MBP, but I'm guessing the 2.3 has no price cause it might be OEM only or something.

flyboi posted:

Should I be worried that HDD is 1C? I see that the actual hard drive reports the temperature properly. Can someone with a 2011 iMac check their sensors in istatmenus for me?

Can't answer that question but will raise another, should you be worried that your SSD isn't reporting a temperature? I've heard not all drives report it through SMART so that might be it I guess.

And those temps are so much lower than on my Mini :saddowns:

I'm guessing that's normal cause it's using laptop parts, just wondering if others are seeing similar ranges.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Is there any legitimate concern over using a macbook air in clamshell mode long term? When I'm at home it's always connected to an external monitor. It seems to get mildly warm, and I just wonder if exposing the display (almost directly) to that heat for a few hours every day is a bad idea. I doubt it would be an option if it was seriously going to harm the computer.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've found that those things are hands-down terrible 100% of the time. I didn't put one on my blackbook (it still looks fantastic) and I definitely won't put one on the Air. Being just a tiny bit careful does ten times what any shell case could possibly do and the unibody finishes really don't need anything covering them because they're really, really deceptively rugged.

Much easier to remove or replace a $39 case then the actual unibody.

They're very easy to scratch and even easier to dent. Check out the for sale ads and see some that are scuffed up. My nightmare is someone setting something on top of my machine, or sliding it across the table while it's on it's lid.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

ndrake posted:

I doubt it would be an option if it was seriously going to harm the computer.

Bingo.

There is a pic out there somewhere of a white iBook or MacBook with a melted keyboard which is where the rumour came from. Personally I would think that the pic was taken of a laptop that was in a fire or something considering a CPU cannot physically get hot enough to melt plastic like that.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm looking to get a new Air.

If I get an 11" but upgrade so it's

1.8GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
128GB Flash Storage

What am I missing out on that I would get in a 13" other than screen space and battery life?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

What am I missing out on that I would get in a 13" other than screen space and battery life?

SD card slot

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Binary Badger posted:

Yup. I've installed other Apple-sold 4850's in early 2008 machines, replacing lovely nVidia GT7300s.
I'm sure other goons will chime in on this; also you can check the 'questions asked' section of that link I posted earlier and you'll see it verified there. For whatever reason, Apple chooses not to officially support these cards on older machines, presumably in an attempt to get you to throw more money at them in new tower sales.

moron posted:

FWIW, I just installed a Radeon 6770 (purchased from Apple) into my Mac Pro 1,1 and it works fine. Age doesn't seem to be a factor here.

Awesome, thanks!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ndrake posted:

Is there any legitimate concern over using a macbook air in clamshell mode long term? When I'm at home it's always connected to an external monitor. It seems to get mildly warm, and I just wonder if exposing the display (almost directly) to that heat for a few hours every day is a bad idea. I doubt it would be an option if it was seriously going to harm the computer.

The machines do ventilate through their keyboards, but I'd expect the fans to kick up high and throttling to kick in long before anything bad(TM) happens to your machine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

japtor posted:

Can't answer that question but will raise another, should you be worried that your SSD isn't reporting a temperature? I've heard not all drives report it through SMART so that might be it I guess.

And those temps are so much lower than on my Mini :saddowns:

It probably isn't reported because it isn't one of the sensors the iMac uses to judge fan speed. Also SSDs don't report temperature via SMART so HEH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

They're very easy to scratch and even easier to dent. Check out the for sale ads and see some that are scuffed up. My nightmare is someone setting something on top of my machine, or sliding it across the table while it's on it's lid.

Good point. I'm obsessively protective of my notebook so if it's not in my hands, it's either locked in my room or in a soft case. I'm sure people think I must be hiding porn on it 24/7 with all the Gollum-level coddling I give it.

On a tangentially related note, I've had the MBA for about 2 days and already begun hyperventilating about the SSD space on it. As of migrating all of my music and putting XCode, Steam/TF2, and a few small apps on the thing (Evernote, Skype, etc), I've got about 22 GB left. I have yet to put Office or any other things on it but I can see where this is going to end up. While the blackbook spent almost 2/4 years with 22GB or less free, I was limited a great deal by the sorts of things I could run on it- not nearly the same problem here. Either I get comfy with the idea of hosting the bulk of my documents/photos/videos on SD cards/externals or I'm going to have to bite the bullet, send this puppy back (there go another 2 weeks), and shell out another $300....

This is the 128GB SSD too. I can't imagine how someone would get by with the 64GB one. It seems ludicrous.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 16, 2011