Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A typical spring purchase is a motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Goober Peas posted:

:words: :words: :words:

Guy's Trailblazer grenaded its transmission

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22724

This is actually more common than they make it sound. It dates all the way back to the 700R4.

This part can be clearly seen in two halfs bracketing that hole in the transmission:

is called the "sun shell".

It was a solution for transmitting torque over and outside of the forward input drum, to engage the outside part of the reverse input drum.

When the whole assembly gets oversped, or overpowered, the fingers sticking out on the sunshell flex outward. They lose engagement and contact on the reverse drum and then come in contact with all kinds of things that they shouldn't. Like the case itself, cutting chunks out of it like a buzzsaw.

As soon as this engagement is lost, or when a sprag lets loose, the gear multiplication in the planetary gears coupled with the input torque of the engine can cause things designed to spin only a few thousand RPM, to overspeed by dozens of thousands of RPM which leads to this kind of explosion.

Anyone here who has ever held the gearsets stacked together of a 4L60/700R4 in their hands and tried turning the different parts of the gearset will see how fast the shell can spin when you apply even a little hand torque.

Variations of this problem is not limited to just one manufacturer.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ola posted:

did someone say motorcycles?

I'm not sure if this is a mechanical failure or :suicide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwi_5YBaCFc

imo the bike should have fought back like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2GLrZSTsI8&NR=1

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 15, 2011

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

Lots of words about 4l60/700R4

So there is no way to improve the transmission or is it just more of a "freak" occurrence that may happen to say 1 out of 1000 transmissions?

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Have another exploding motor (tractor pulling):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tl-XXu7QXI#t=108s

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Exploded 4L60

That picture is making me really unhappy about where the transmission in my jimmy sits relative to my shin.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

thelightguy posted:

That picture is making me really unhappy about where the transmission in my jimmy sits relative to my shin.

Fab a scatter shield for the tunnel? I can't imagine it being too difficult.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

It really isn't, and since the carpet's long gone and the floor pan is in iffy condition, I was already planning on making a drop in tray out of diamond plate to sit on top of the floor pan. I just didn't know 4L60s were so prone to grenading like that.

I shoulda bought a Cherokee.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Ola posted:

Team Ola.

Also that guy taking a backfire to the chest still makes me cringe.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

B4Ctom1 posted:

This is actually more common than they make it sound. It dates all the way back to the 700R4.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this (or a similar problem) also possible to induce in the 700R4 family by selecting neutral at high speed? Or am I high?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Motronic posted:

In what state will a speeding ticket for anything less then 5 over stand up? Because it's certainly not anywhere near me. Whether it's VASCAR or radar, it's considered too close to call. It's within the acceptable variation of your speedo.
Tickets aren't always issued from the state. Many municipalities care very very much about "THE CHILDREN", and many others just like the income. Some towns are famous for cops hiding at city limits, hitting tourists and people passing through for 3 over just because the hassle of fighting the ticket for someone who lives miles away means the ticket will just get paid most of the time.

You Am I posted:

That dude was doing some pretty poo poo donuts there. Must have been a V6.
Is it easy to disable traction/stability control in those cars? i.e. would someone whose intelligence level is at the point where they think driving like that is a kickin rad idea (and having seen the driver talking), do you think he could find anything not mounted front and center on the dash? It was either gutless, or the car was fighting any attempts to get slightly sideways.

edit: failures:

As the owner put it, it "went very quiet" after making some "nasty noises"
I'd imagine it did.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 17, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

IOwnCalculus posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this (or a similar problem) also possible to induce in the 700R4 family by selecting neutral at high speed? Or am I high?

I thought so, but I can't remember correctly, so I didn't want to say.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think there was an instance once of a guy out wheeling who dipped his clutch to freewheel down a slope, forgetting he was in low first. Apparently the clutch plate didn't like running at 15,000+rpm. :happyelf:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What am I looking at here? Obviously a disc brake rotor, but with a pad plate stuck inside? And why is the inside of the rotor greasy? It looks like the inside of a wheel bearing.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Geirskogul posted:

What am I looking at here? Obviously a disc brake rotor, but with a pad plate stuck inside? And why is the inside of the rotor greasy? It looks like the inside of a wheel bearing.

Some cars the brake rotor houses the wheel bearing too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

dietcokefiend posted:

Some cars the brake rotor houses the wheel bearing too.

yea this one is off of a 2wd ranger. the hub is built into the rotor... sort of.

and yes, that is a brake pad lodged in between the disc vents.
No, it is not mine... but it easily could be.

I think I'll be changing my rotors and pads tonight for peace of mind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What year Ranger? I think on my '98 it's a floating disc with a separate hub/bearing assembly, but on my GMC (and even on the '97 Suburban I learned to drive in) they did use the rotor as part of the hub. It makes it a pain in the rear end to get rotors turned or to replace them since you have to gently caress with the wheel bearing at the same time.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Revolvyerom posted:

i.e. would someone whose intelligence level is at the point where they think driving like that is a kickin rad idea (and having seen the driver talking), do you think he could find anything not mounted front and center on the dash? It was either gutless, or the car was fighting any attempts to get slightly sideways.

"Dude, what's that orange light flashing over there for?"
"The one with the picture of the skidding wheel? That's the burnout light. It comes on whenever I drift! Pretty cool, right?"

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Brake failure chat reminds me of the aftermath of one I came across a week or so ago. Pulled up to a red light on the bike, put my foot down and nearly slipped over after I put foot down on what was clearly the backing plate for a brake pad :stare: I don't even want to imagine how bad the brakes must've been for the plate to actually fall out on the road whilst stopping.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Local production car race. One of the BMW 335is had brake failure on the rear right. I've heard it described as "the brake assembly exploded", but it's probably a disk that split.

Either way. Car swapped ends and hit this embankment at high speed.

Not that bad. Oh wait...

I can't find it now, but there's a video clip of this. There are apparently also VBOX logs recording a 6G impact.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

There are apparently also VBOX logs recording a 6G impact.

That's probably 60 Gs. Formula 1 cars do 5 G under braking and they don't brea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2yHT3Zx7w

...oh.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Ola posted:

That's probably 60 Gs. Formula 1 cars do 5 G under braking and they don't brea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2yHT3Zx7w

...oh.

I knows it's just a reflex, but the countersteering always makes me laugh.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Muffinpox posted:

I knows it's just a reflex, but the countersteering always makes me laugh.

Sitting on the toilet at work, giggling like a madman.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I like Lewis Hamilton smiling at the end.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

I think there was an instance once of a guy out wheeling who dipped his clutch to freewheel down a slope, forgetting he was in low first. Apparently the clutch plate didn't like running at 15,000+rpm. :happyelf:

My favorite days on SRTForums where people revving past the normal 6k redline (bad misshift or standalone engine management) on the stock modular clutch. All the rivets sheer off and punch through everything. Happened a few times a month it seemed.

Ahhh kids. :allears:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

metaxus posted:

"Dude, what's that orange light flashing over there for?"
"The one with the picture of the skidding wheel? That's the burnout light. It comes on whenever I drift! Pretty cool, right?"

My wife used to call it the 'snail' for when they used to look like that.

'Oh look the snail!'

At least thats how I remember it.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
This is pretty impressive

http://bangshift.com/blog/Nuclear-Dyno-Fail-Video-A-Diesel-Blows-All-The-Way-Up.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
How about a Horrible mechanic failure:

IMG_20110818_210629.jpg by nerobro, on Flickr

I lost a 1/4" socket wrench, a 6" extention, and a 10mm socket in april. Last year. It's been under my toolbox on the bike, and hidden by the rag I keep under the seat since then.

I found the tool because I went to replace a munged up pilot jet, and balance the carbs.

The bike now idles on all cylinders at all temperatures.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My favorite days on SRTForums where people revving past the normal 6k redline (bad misshift or standalone engine management) on the stock modular clutch. All the rivets sheer off and punch through everything. Happened a few times a month it seemed.

Ahhh kids. :allears:

like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9TX82c2VI

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Well that was unexpected

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I bet he revved that engine and did lovely burnouts all the time, and when it finally blew up I'm surprised cheers of gratitude from his neighbors weren't audible on the video.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

drat, I can't stop laughing.

The car is the bonus in this video. The broken passenger side window, the mismatched wheels, this is a quality race car ricer beater!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Aurune posted:

drat, I can't stop laughing.

The car is the bonus in this video. The broken passenger side window, the mismatched wheels, this is a quality race car ricer beater!

A sad end to an ACR. Fun little cars. After some Google it seems this douche likes to set off airbags with car batteries for when when he's not deliberately destroying cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqtc0xTUy4

Edit: It would seem that he rolled the ACR previously and bought it back after they totaled it out.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 20, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Edit: It would seem that he rolled the ACR previously and bought it back after they totaled it out.

yeah if there was ever a car to just poo poo on til it blows up, it'd definitely be a wrecked neon.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cloudstrife2993 posted:

yeah if there was ever a car to just poo poo on til it blows up, it'd definitely be a wrecked neon.

ftfy

Seriously gently caress those cars they're terrible and every one blown up/set on fire/wrecked is one more fridge that can do all the poo poo new fridges do (and be faster than when it was a Neon)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Professor Bling posted:

ftfy

Seriously gently caress those cars they're terrible and every one blown up/set on fire/wrecked is one more fridge that can do all the poo poo new fridges do (and be faster than when it was a Neon)

Did a Neon kick your dog or something? Just curious.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Did a Neon kick your dog or something? Just curious.

The Chrysler Neon is simply the worst car in the entire world, nothing more. I mean, Hitler didn't hurt me personally, but I still loathe the guy, so I can see why he rages on the Neon.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Geirskogul posted:

The Chrysler Neon is simply the worst car in the entire world, nothing more. I mean, Hitler didn't hurt me personally, but I still loathe the guy, so I can see why he rages on the Neon.

Its cool that you guys hate a small, light car with the wheels at the corners which has proven to be a very effective track car in ACR and homebuilt-modified trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Geirskogul posted:

The Chrysler Neon is simply the worst car in the entire world, nothing more.

GM from 1980 to 1985. :colbert: