Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

So here's my question. What the gently caress is this thing on the southern edge of the big field?

I'm guessing some sort of Meditative Practical Pistol course.
Or maybe a Buffalo Bill-style nighttime maze-y thing.

I don't know what it is, but it looks awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Anyone know what this thing might be?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

mwdan posted:

Bah, Donaldson was 41 at the 2000 census..

here is Funkley, MN. Population 15.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...nesota&t=h&z=15

That's a thriving metropolis. I shall now direct your attention to the humble town of Quail, Virginia. Total population: One intersection. (Seriously, I've been there, and those houses aren't inside the town.)

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 16, 2011

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

rcman50166 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pine_beetle

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

So here's my question. What the gently caress is this thing on the southern edge of the big field?

The future site of a kickin rad paintball field, I hope.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

That's...that's terrifying. I can't believe how much area is affected. Upon zooming out from my last post you can see the scope of their invasion. You can see it from space

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I was looking around New Mexico for anything interesting. I zoomed into street view on a random highway, only be be greeted with this. Was the Google Streetview Van tooling around at night?

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Hah, looks like it. Thats bizarre.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The camera gadgets have a black protective cover thing over them for when they're not in use, the drivers have been known to forget about them and leave them on, leading to stuff like that.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

nerdly_dood posted:

The camera gadgets have a black protective cover thing over them for when they're not in use, the drivers have been known to forget about them and leave them on, leading to stuff like that.

You sure thats the case here? If you "look" up, you see what looks to be the moon, and if you look to the Southwest you can see what looks like maybe someone's headlights tailing the camera vehicle.

Edit: Those are headlights coming towards the vehicle. You can tell by following the road SW a couple of clicks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fermunky posted:

You sure thats the case here? If you "look" up, you see what looks to be the moon, and if you look to the Southwest you can see what looks like maybe someone's headlights tailing the camera vehicle.

Edit: Those are headlights coming towards the vehicle. You can tell by following the road SW a couple of clicks.

Yeah, going further you'll see this:

So there is a picture there, only at night. I've never seen a gently caress up like this before.

EDIT: Haha I found the transition point - LINK - press forward :) I think you can actually see how the driver stopped here to sleep as he basically took a turn to park.

EDIT 2: :stare: Ok I went in the other direction to see how long the night goes and when I found the second transition spot I think I actually found out who drove the google car :stare:

Yep, according to Google Maps right now you are in the arms of an old lady.

You'll have to see it to believe it - LINK

Palpek fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 17, 2011

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

rcman50166 posted:

If you zoom out on it you'll see what's probably a meteorite impact location.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_Reservoir

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Fermunky posted:

Hah, if you look at the 45 degree view, it looks like a plane wrecked. Nice.
That appears to have been setup. Note the fence between the plane and the runway, as well as the pipelines running to gas tanks off the side of the runway.

Is it for a movie or for training? (If it's for training, why are the fire trucks and police vehicles already there?)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

kimihia posted:

That appears to have been setup. Note the fence between the plane and the runway, as well as the pipelines running to gas tanks off the side of the runway.

Is it for a movie or for training? (If it's for training, why are the fire trucks and police vehicles already there?)

Maybe one of those disaster preparedness drills or something? They sometimes do this with mangled cars and actors with fake blood all over themselves, to try and prepare the paramedics.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Palpek posted:

Yeah, going further you'll see this:

So there is a picture there, only at night. I've never seen a gently caress up like this before.

EDIT: Haha I found the transition point - LINK - press forward :) I think you can actually see how the driver stopped here to sleep as he basically took a turn to park.

EDIT 2: :stare: Ok I went in the other direction to see how long the night goes and when I found the second transition spot I think I actually found out who drove the google car :stare:

Yep, according to Google Maps right now you are in the arms of an old lady.

Hah, holy crap. That's hilarious.

How does one become a Google Streetview driver? Did this lady just respond to an ad or something, and spent a few days/weeks/whatever driving around in the google van?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

kimihia posted:

Actually...

http://gizmodo.com/#!5776705/no-one-was-hurt-in-this-google-maps-plane-crash

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Inspector_71 posted:

I love this. I am totally fascinated by these ridiculously remote outposts of civilization, even though much like you I know I'll never get to (or honestly really want to given my predilection for modern technology) visit them.

I know this is from several pages ago, but the discussion of remote islands like Tristan da Cunha and St. Helena leads me to suggest y'all get your hands on a copy of Outposts by Simon Winchester. He visits all these little windblown specks and other far-flung remnants of the British Empire; highly recommended. :)

Here is a neighbourhood with horsey street names (Connemara, Hackamore, Lipizzan etc.): http://goo.gl/WdNLE

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Mo Schmuck posted:

Going back a few pages, I can shed some insight on this park. I grew up around 40 minutes from here and came here very often.

You can see the park was basically two parks. On the north and west sides of the lake you had Geauga Lake (with roller coasters, thrill rides, and eventually a waterpark) and on the southeast side, you had Sea World.

Geauga Lake always played little brother to Cedar Point, which was at most two hours away and just awesome at everything, but Geauga Lake was great in its own way. Six Flags bought the park and added four roller coasters in one year (2000?), bringing the total to (I'd guess) nine or ten. It really was a great, less busy alternative to Cedar Point.

Shortly after adding four coasters, they bought the adjacent Sea World.

The Geauga Lake portion of Six Flags Ohio (the new name for the park) also had a pretty kickass waterpark section and they said "Three Parks for the Price of One." Sea World (newly acquired but lame), waterpark (ok), thrill rides (awesome). It was a really good deal to spend $30 (with a Pepsi can) and have all those choices.

Eventually, Cedar Fair (Cedar Point's parent company) bought the park and renamed it Geauga Lake.

Eventually, Cedar Fair (Cedar Point's parent company) bought Six Flags Ohio. All the names changed, and they stayed open for four years. Three days after the season ended in 2008, Cedar Fair announced they wouldn't reopen Geauga Lake next year. They didn't even give us a chance to ride the rides one more time. Most of the coasters were sold off in short order and now are in a loving home. It's so sad to see the concrete supports for the coasters I used to love without the coasters sitting on top of them.

I guess it makes business sense, as Cedar Fair owns two larger amusement parks in Ohio - Cedar Point (the king of them all) and King's Island near Cincinnati.

...jerks.

For content:

http://tinyurl.com/chiplake

Another old amusement park in Northeast Ohio - Chippewa Lake Park. You can see the old parking lot, the entrance sign, an old roller coaster, and a variety of old shells of buildings. It closed in the 1970s, but there has been a lot of UrbEx documented on a lot of different sites.

Honestly, the worst part for me was the Sea World buy out. I had season passes every year, still have my last one, and my wife and i would go there two or three times per week during the summer. I only lived an hour away so we'd go in the evening after work, grab a bite to eat, and wander around watching the shows. On the weekends we'd go all day at least a couple times per month. Now we're married with kids and it would be a great place to spend time with the kids besides the zoo's.

I always went there once a year when i was a kid and we lived four hours or so away. I still have pictures from there when my brother and i were little kids over twenty years ago. Out of all the places i used to visit i miss Sea World Ohio the most.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Shnakepup posted:

Hah, holy crap. That's hilarious.

How does one become a Google Streetview driver? Did this lady just respond to an ad or something, and spent a few days/weeks/whatever driving around in the google van?

I have no idea how Google HR works but I would imagine that this job is not too demanding and/or interesting really so I guess anybody can qualify? You basically drive through the country no matter how boring the landscape is and you probably have to do it slowly with a regular speed to let the camera snap good pictures. I guess they have to train you in simple camera servicing too but I'd guess it's not too hard...

While writing this post I actually found a very short interview (more of a few notes from a chat really) with a Google car driver that basically confirms my speculations:

http://ekstreme.com/thingsofsorts/fun-web/chatting-with-a-google-street-view-driver

"The drivers just showed up for "a driving job" (his words) and didn’t know it was for Google until they arrived to pick up the cars."

There are also a few good pictures of the equipment on the site:

master gamawa
Nov 22, 2005

Otsegolator
I am not sure how accurate the ocean floor images are... To be honest it looks like there is some major artifacting going on in there but I can't really tell.

But if I was an 'ancient alien' freak I would probably be freaking the gently caress out right now about prehistoric ufo landing sites and poo poo.

Search for Corinth, Greece and look over to the north west in the middle of the gulf.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bathymetric survey. Basically an area of detailed data surrounded by data that is not very detailed. For example the detailed area may have elevations to +/- 1m while the less-detailed area may be +/- 10m, creating a vertical jump at the boundary. There lots of places like this in google's ocean bottom topography data.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 17, 2011

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

master gamawa posted:

I am not sure how accurate the ocean floor images are... To be honest it looks like there is some major artifacting going on in there but I can't really tell.

But if I was an 'ancient alien' freak I would probably be freaking the gently caress out right now about prehistoric ufo landing sites and poo poo.

Search for Corinth, Greece and look over to the north west in the middle of the gulf.

Actually, yeah, it's artifacting. I think it was a couple weeks or months back, there was some hubbub about some strange structures in an image like this, with of course the hysterical media going on about "Atlantis?!?". Turns out it was just artifacting from the method that was used to capture the image.

Really, on a lot of the sea-floor imaging, you shouldn't be using it for anything more than just to get an impression of what the area is like. I don't think they have very high resolution, and I wanna say they also pull the data from a variety of sources, so you'll get odd artifacts.

e:f:b

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.26...psrc=6&t=h&z=17

Not much water in the reservoir, eh? That's because it's the Vajont Dam in Italy, infamous for the way it filled up:

"On 9 October 1963 at 10:39pm, the combination of 'drawing-down the reservoir' and heavy rains triggered a landslide of about 260 million m of forest, earth, and rock, which fell into the reservoir at up to 110 km per hour (68 mph). The resulting displacement of water caused 50 million m³ of water to over-top the dam in a 250 m high wave.[6][7] Despite this, the dam's structure was largely undamaged — the top 1 m or so of masonry was washed away, but the basic structure remained intact.

The flooding in the Piave valley destroyed the villages of Longarone, Pirago, Rivalta, Villanova and Faè, killing around 2000 people and turning the land below into a flat plain of mud.[8] Many small villages in the territory of Erto e Casso and the village of Codissago, near Castellavazzo, were largely wrecked. Estimates of the dead range from 1900 to 2500 people, and about 350 families lost all members. Most of the survivors had lost relatives and friends along with their homes and belongings.

The villages near the landslide also suffered damage from the air displacement caused by the impact."

Wiki link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

...in a 250 m high wave.

Holy...holy poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Disastro_Vajont.jpg

Here's a picture shortly after the flood showing the landslide that pushed all the water out over the dam.

This is why you do your geology homework before you build a dam.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Palpek posted:

Google is on the case, they have already obscured her face.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Cable Guy posted:

One of the few good things Google has done recently...

jvick fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 19, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Cable Guy posted:

Woah, how does that work? I suspect I was the first person to see it as this picture is in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere at the very end of a one-way road leading to absolutely nothing. Somebody reading this thread reported it? Or does Google hire people to search through sites containing words Google Maps :tinfoil:?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Palpek posted:

Woah, how does that work? I suspect I was the first person to see it as this picture is in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere at the very end of a one-way road leading to absolutely nothing. Somebody reading this thread reported it? Or does Google hire people to search through sites containing words Google Maps :tinfoil:?

I reported it, just for the hell of it, and also to see what they'd do. I don't know if they blurred it just based on my one report or if some other people ITT also reported it.

In any case, it's kind of odd that they'd blur the picture, but still leave it in place...despite the fact that it's not actually a streetview of anything.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Shnakepup posted:

...In any case, it's kind of odd that they'd blur the picture, but still leave it in place...despite the fact that it's not actually a streetview of anything.
Policy... all faces and all rego plates are blurred.

Also... why'd you do that?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shnakepup posted:

In any case, it's kind of odd that they'd blur the picture, but still leave it in place...despite the fact that it's not actually a streetview of anything.

They will probably send a car to get correct imagery of the same area and they're just leaving that up until that happens, since obviously they can't do it immediately.

ETMPlus
Jul 28, 2008

You're going to be the Eleventh Commandment: 'Thou shalt not get away with it.'

master gamawa posted:

Looks like they incorporated some hydrographic survey data in the imagery. The raised "artifact" areas are likely ship's track lines (shame on the surveyors for logging through turns.) Since any other bathymetry on Google Earth is likely based on small scale chart data, surveyed data will be more detailed and will stand out. In other words, :science:.

ANTIPUNK
May 22, 2003
I AM TOO LAZY TO KILL YOU
search "earth" in Google maps, then pan north....zoom out a bit...pan some more..you get the idea.

apparently Texas is a big fan of the circle.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have no idea what's going on here, unless it's some kind of B-52 stealth project. Or maybe they've been parked in the same spots so long the concrete sun-bleached everywhere except their shadows? (Edit: Nah, it's only on the engine-spots, must be a heat effect.)

Also, zoom out one notch and there's something labeled "BAD", but apparently it's just their airport code, which for some reason doesn't line up location-wise with Google's place marker.

Edit: no link, just GMaps Barksdale AFB and you'll see it.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 20, 2011

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

rcman50166 posted:

Zoom out a bit and you get this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manicouagan_Reservoir
I'd never noticed that before but it's pretty cool. That thing's got a diameter like the size of Rhode Island.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Delivery McGee posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, unless it's some kind of B-52 stealth project. Or maybe they've been parked in the same spots so long the concrete sun-bleached everywhere except their shadows? (Edit: Nah, it's only on the engine-spots, must be a heat effect.)

Also, zoom out one notch and there's something labeled "BAD", but apparently it's just their airport code, which for some reason doesn't line up location-wise with Google's place marker.

Edit: no link, just GMaps Barksdale AFB and you'll see it.

Yeah, that's oil and hydraulic fluid that has dripped onto the ramp over the years. They tend to park the planes in the same locations. Those look like B-52's

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Those planes could conceivably have been parked their since the early cold-war days (SAC), or at least the same airframe with updated avionics over the years. The b-52 isn't supposed to be decommissioned until they're as old as flight, itself, is now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Robo Olga posted:

It took me a few days but I finally did an Ask/Tell thread about living in California City. I apologize if I missed any of the questions anyone posted in this thread about it, I tried to include everything. If nothing else there are some cute ducks http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3374270

Shame it's closed. I missed this. I'm fairly close and this place looks interesting as hell. I couldn't even imagine how fun it'd be to explore on my super moto.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
There's a giant concrete octagon near Converse, Indiana.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.57...=h&vpsrc=6&z=16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

genesplicer posted:

Yeah, that's oil and hydraulic fluid that has dripped onto the ramp over the years. They tend to park the planes in the same locations. Those look like B-52's

My guess would be KC-135 tankers since they have 4 engines like the 707 rather than the 8 that B-52's have although its tought to tell from that picture.

EDIT: Scratch that, if you get closer you can clearly see the dual engine per pylon config on the b-52.

wernox fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 21, 2011

• Locked thread